Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Well Executed Emergency Crash Landing a Cessna

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Well Executed Emergency Crash Landing a Cessna

Search this Thread

Old 29th Nov 2007, 17:52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Well Executed Emergency Crash Landing a Cessna

Surprised this is not on here yet...happend today about 2 hours ago at some airport in New Jersey.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/fu...nding_1650.flv
Old 29th Nov 2007, 18:09
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
What an annoying clip. Ends at the beginning of the interesting bit.

How many of us would have tried to stop the donk and get the prop horizontal ? (if two bladed)
Old 29th Nov 2007, 18:09

I turned on the TV in my hotel room and just caught it on sky. Pilot did very well. Maybe it was a flying lesson? The person getting out the right hand seat appeared to be the instructor (talking the most to the fire crew).

The fact that left landing gear hadn't locked helped the landing I think.
Old 29th Nov 2007, 18:12

Let it stop and if not horizontal, crank it round on the starter!
Old 29th Nov 2007, 18:24

rivets try this one instead. The foaming probably did more damage than the landing

"Emergency crash landing" ? A future in journalism beckons
Old 29th Nov 2007, 18:33
Flintstone

Nicely done.

To stop the prop or not? What if you need to go around? Decisions, decisions.

Old 29th Nov 2007, 18:46

Was all that foam REALLY essential?! Probably the first and last time the fire services will get chance to use their toys, I suppose!
Old 29th Nov 2007, 20:36

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting that the Cessna was sprayed with water for 5 seconds or so before the foam.

I guess this was because it takes that long for foam to mix, or was their method in this technique? ie cooling the belly with water that has better penetration than foam?

If not then having the Monitor charged with foam is better practice rather than pushing any fuel spill underneath the pilots door with water?

Any other armchair experts have a view

Mickjoebill
Old 30th Nov 2007, 07:47

Foam alone would have cooled the under side of the aircraft, when you select the pump, water valve, and foam valve it takes a few seconds for the foam concentrate to get drawn into the pump, consequently you can get a short burst of water only. by selecting the foam valve control just before the water valve you can minimise this slightly, depending on the foam proportioner system. As for using foam the damage caused would be minimal, however if fire had occured, injury or even fatality, would have been a real threat.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 08:04

From the clip, it looks like the prop stopped due to hitting the ground.

BB
Old 30th Nov 2007, 09:52

Was that a 172RG ?

Is that the same landing gear on the 177RG and the 210 ?? I never liked those strange feet...
Old 30th Nov 2007, 10:08

Nicely done.
Actually, no. IF there was a choice - which of course we cannot know - then the drill would be to retract the gear, stop the engine, get the prop horizontal (time and nerves permitting), and slide the thing on, preferably on grass.

Again, I have no idea if that was an option, but if this leg had locked, this could easily have been a nasty one
Old 30th Nov 2007, 10:16

preferably on grass
I heard that hard runway surface was much better because in grass you could end up with not a plane, clear surface ?
Old 30th Nov 2007, 10:49

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Surprised this is not on here yet
Not all crashes end up being reported on here. I can think of two which haven't and before anyone aks, no, I'm not going to tell you who / what / where / when etc. All I will say is that in both cases the pilot (sole occupant) walked away unharmed.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:16

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In order to stop a prop on most light singles you have to put the mixture to ICO to kill the engine, then slow the aeroplane down almost to the stall to stop the prop windmilling. Then you'd have to recover a safe airspeed (losing a bit more height) and mess about with the starter to put the prop to horizontal while you're in a steeper glide than you've ever practised for with the prospect of what might be the landing from hell at the end of it. Sounds like a recipe for an undershoot.

If the aeroplane's insured, you know you're going to damage it anyway, would you take that risk at low level, plus pretty much remove any option to go around? (bit late to try and restart the engine when you realised you've made a hash of it.)

btw: On a complex (which I guess this would have been), can you stop a prop more easily by pulling the mixture and the prop lever at the same time, ie forcing the prop coarse (low rpm) as the power drops off? Or would the spring pull it back to fine as the oil pressure in the hub falls, leading to a windmill just like a fixed pitch?
Old 30th Nov 2007, 16:57

Location: these mist covered mountains are a home now for me.
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Only once, have I deliberitely shut down a single engined piston aircraft inflight. As TMcC states, it's bloody hard. I was just about stalling the aircraft to stop the windmilling - it didn't want to stop !!

Stuff doing that on finals.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 17:19
Blah Blah Blah

It's not a 177RG....177's do not have the wing spars.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 17:27
Flintstone

Originally Posted by 172 Driver
Actually, no
Beg to differ.

As sternone said a sealed surface is often considered a better option than grass or soil. Things dig into soil, they tend not to do the same with concrete or tarmac. The pilot will have seen the gear leg swinging and known it would fold back so in this instance his choice was the correct one. Even if he hadn't it was still correct.

As Troy said there's a lot more to stopping a running engine than simply pulling the mixture. What if the propellor stops vertically? Are you then going to get distracted trying (as someone else suggested) turning it on the starter? Really? While trying to flare at an unfamiliar attitude?
Let's say you balloon. Let's just refresh ourselves on the technique for a go around would you? I think it starts with something like 'Full power, pitch up..........'. Not going to work, is it?

Old 30th Nov 2007, 17:33

I watched a twin land on the grass adjacent to the runway at Aldergrove with only 2 wheels down. The inevitable spin around the wingtip occured but all walked and the aircraft was pretty much undamaged. Metal aeroplanes and tarmac always cause damage but look good

I guess it is a judgement call based upon the evidence presented atthe time for which is best. We land skidded helicopters in an emergency scenario on hard surface to aid subsequent recovery, and knowing that the skids have shoes attached designed for such events.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 19:18

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Sternone is right, never gear up on grass if a hard surface is a choice.

Cessna single RG systems look nearly all the same, but there are several different operating systems, some better than others. That was a 172RG, whose landing gear operating system is nearly identical to that of the 182RG, both of which, in my opinion are excellent. They are similar to the 210's system, though they varied through the years, with some being better than others. The 177RG was mechanically quite different, and not as bulletproof.

Stopping the prop can be difficult, but if the engine is not developing power when it hits a hard surface, you're a long way toward only minor damage to the engine. If you got it stopped with a blade straight down, and landed that way, your landing would be less safe, and damage to the engine probably much worse than if it had been windmilling when it hit.

Pilot DAR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.