Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

HUD footage from Macchi crash

Search this Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2007, 04:55

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HUD footage from Macchi crash

Apologies if this has been asked for before, but I was told there was the HUD footage from a RNZAF MB-339 crash available. The aircraft was the one that suffered some type of flameout, got a relight, then had another flameout during its approach. Both crew ejected and the aircraft was later recovered. The backseater was a maintenance fellow who got more than he bargained for. I'm told the pilot (newly minted) was particularly calm under pressure.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 08:33
gsf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RNZAF did not lose a Macchi under those circumstances.
Howerever, there was video of what, IIRC, was a Hawk accident in Canada that fits your description.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 08:47

Thumbs down

Hawk bird-strike.

An instructor and a student. I dare say the aircraft was not "recovered"...
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 11:06

evilroy refers to Macchi NZ6465, ditched near Kaitaia 13 Oct 93.

The circumstances he describes are accurate.

Airframe was recovered to Ohakea.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 13:08

Location: these mist covered mountains are a home now for me.
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Not quite as described, engine was not re-lit, did not even begin to make an approach. Runway FOD the likely cause. Important bit was the guys getting out.
Old 3rd Nov 2007, 18:58

Evilroy, yes there is footage of this incident. The HUD tape was recovered from the frame which made a pilotless belly landing in a swamp after the crew ejected. The aircraft (NZ6465) was recovered but subsequently written off. Have never seen the footage available in the public domain though.
Old 4th Nov 2007, 00:05

Thanks for that Hadenuff.
Old 5th Nov 2007, 08:25

Footage is definitely available. I have seen it and also had the pleasure of speaking with the pilot of the Macchi about 6 months or so after he had ejected, at the bar at WLM (just after I had gone for my first Macchi Flight myself).

The pilot I believe got a fair bollocking for leaving the decision to eject so late, in fact it was only a couple of hundred feet, again if my memory serves. Ground crew member had (IIRC) a broken back, but subsequently recovered. The story I was told was that they both started walking out of the swamp carrying their chutes and once the rescue crew arrived they were told to sit down and drop their chutes. X-rays revealed the broken back.

Pilot obviously was very cool relating this story but there was a bunch of confusion that showed on the tape and this was one of the reasons it was left so late. I believe I saw it as part of a human factors course I was studying previously.

Cheers
CB
Old 5th Nov 2007, 21:38

I hear that the engineer was too tall for the seat, and thus how he broke his back?? Some RAAF medic told this to me to ease my pain of being to tall to fly in the ADF. No idea if that is true or not, does the macchi seat go through the canopy?
Old 5th Nov 2007, 21:48

I watched the video at an Airwoman's Rally held at Ohakea, and had running commentary from RNZAF staff - so I guess this is a close to the horses's mouth... This is what was explained to us:

The guy was tall. There is a check usually done after the canopy has shut, where the pilot & crew make their hand into a fist, and run their hand between their head and the canopy, to ensure clearance. This ensures that their heads are below the level of the of the ejection seat. This check for some reason was not carried out, and the pax's head was nearly touching the canopy.

When they ejected, it was his head (or helmet) that broke the canopy, instead of the top of the ejection seat as designed. Therefore the impact was taken by his spine via his skull, causing the injuries he sustained.

Apparantly he was also an avid sportsman, but is no longer able to play due to the injuries.

The video was absolutely amazing to watch... astounding... the calmness of the pilot (considering!!) and the help given to him by another macchi pilot, are again, the reasons why I hold the training and attitude of the RNAZF in such high regard.

Anyone feel free to correct anything I may have got wrong.

Kiwi Chick
Old 5th Nov 2007, 22:58

just abit of general info from the kiwi aircraft images macchi history page probably doesn't add anymore info to the thread but may be interest.

One aircraft was lost in service. NZ6465 crashed in the Awanui Estuary on the Rangaunu harbour near Kaitaia on October 13, 1993. PO C.J. Foster and LAC S.E. Gyde made a low level ejection after experiencing severe vibration and loss of thrust following foreign object injestion. This was the RNZAF's first non-aircrew ejection. Both ejected safely but sustained back injuries, landing in mangroves and mud. The aircraft was subsequently retrieved, and after being classified unrepairable was passed to the RNZAF museum. Several aircraft Have been involved in landing incidents resulting in damage. NZ6467 being the first on on April 15, 1992 when the undercarriage was retracted at too low a speed during a touch and go at Ohakea, which resulted in a belly landing. NZ6460 was next when it made an emergency landing on its belly on November 28, 1994 after FOD ingestion resulted in an engine failure as the aircraft became airborne. The aircraft was returned to Italy for factory repair and after two years it was back in service in 1997. NZ6468 was the most recent on February 9, 2000. In other incidents, NZ6477 made an emergency landing at Hamilton in April 1999 after a birdstrike destroyed much of the canopy and damaged an ejection seat. Another incident occurred in June 1999 when 100 rounds of 12.7mm ammunition were accidental discharged from a gunpack on the ground at Ohakea, while an aircraft was being prepared for an exercise. The RNZAF investigation determined this result from a safety pin being inserted upside down - something not previously thought possible, and requiring design changes to correct. NZ6463 made a precautionary landing at Hastings on Mar 26 2001. The aircraft had been 40nm south of Napier when low fuel was indicated. The aircraft returned to Ohakea the following day.
Old 6th Nov 2007, 06:40

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. If the footage is available anywhere, I'd appreciate being able to see it.

If it is available only within Defence, please send me a PM with details.
Old 6th Nov 2007, 21:02

Location: these mist covered mountains are a home now for me.
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
PM sent a few days ago...
Old 7th Nov 2007, 00:12

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any chance its viewable by us 'also-rans'?
Old 7th Nov 2007, 01:44

Contrary to popular belief I can't help at all tracking down the video, but I would be keen for a look if it surfaces....

I've heard alot about this incident so seing the footage would be quite interesting. If I remember correctly 14 sqn were actually on exercise (falcons roost?) in my home town of Whangarei when it happened.
Old 27th Sep 2011, 00:42

Just stumbled across this while browsing and thought I would correct a few in-accuracies.....

@ kiwi chick..the canopy clearance check was something that was inte=roduced AFTER this incident as a procedure. A couple of the aircrew may have done it previously but it was not recognised or suggested as part of the dispatch procedure.

@ cloud basher...walking out was not exactly accurate as the engineer initially started to walk out but had to stop walking when he lost all feeling in his legs.

There are also rumours about the rear seat being adjusted for "the best view" which are untrue as the rear seat pax was positioned to be able to read the symbology on the HUD.

For those wondering what makes me think I'm an expert who can correct these things...I was the engineer
Old 27th Sep 2011, 12:23

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Well done that man

Old 28th Sep 2011, 02:18

Great read! Pretty ballsy to walk out after an ejection.
Miatamad so did you get a Martin Baker tie for your efforts?
Old 28th Sep 2011, 09:42

MB tie and tie pin as well as invite to tour the factory and have a cup of tea (if I ever make it over there)

also got the seat handle nicely mounted - after I paid the gunnies a keg of beer ;-)
Old 29th Sep 2011, 04:35

Best thread of the year.....

Nothing like reading a factual, fully substantiated thread on a Rumour Network.

Bravo! Miatamad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.