Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Please don't laugh .

Search this Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2007, 04:57
dga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't laugh .

What are the chances of an ageing aviator - Big 50 been an gone but passionate to get back flying for a " living" - looks like it's still poorly paid.
Only have 3500 hours of which 850 was instructing .Would be keen to get into C-208 & Twin Otter .Been doing Firework etc which has reignited the passion - sorry about the pun . Appreciate any thoughts & hopefully leads .
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 05:15
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The World is your oyster at the moment!
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 06:35

Go for it!

I've noticed a gradual trend for PA31's to be replaced by C208's, esp. in things like night freight (my opinion). Dunno about twotters.

If you wanted to instruct again, I hear that there are schools in MB that employ instructors full-time, and pay the award.

With your hours you'd be a look-in for Rex, if you wanted to fly regionals.

There's plenty of opportunity out there.

My 2c

DIVOSH!
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 11:12

Thumbs up

DGA......No laughing matter, I'm in the same boat as you agewise, There seems to be plenty of jobs around at the moment , but don't get too excited , you won't be considered for many of them once they know how old you are. One large freight operator who proudly advertises " equal opportunity employer " gave me the distinct impression that I was wasting their time when I contacted them after seeing about half a dozen ads.

Having said that there are still some older guys around who will consider you. I have knocked back a couple of regional F/O jobs as I consider the wages too low, Yes I know I would have to start off as F/O, but having been employed out of the industry for a while I don't know how you can live on what........$35K-$38K. Some here may say I'm too fussy but I've been around too long to care, plenty of command turbine time, if someone wants to offer me a captains job I'm interested. P.S. forget about Rex, they don't want anyone with any more than 500hrs.!!!
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 14:31

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Who's laughing? It's a great time for you.

Find a halfway decent operator who value there pilots and offer your services. Explain that you have been out of the system for a while and exchange some training for return of service. Whatever you do - do not pay for an endorsement or for training to pass your I/R renewal. Instead, offer return of service, which is probably a whole lot more valuable in this pilot's market.

Also, don't sell yourself short regarding pay and conditions. The industry has changed a lot in recent years and in GA an experienced pilot can earn much better than a 'livable' wage and enjoy reasonable conditions and time off to boot. If an operator won't be reasonable then walk away before you start and find someone who will pay you properly - there are plenty out there who will.

I suggest that you stay right away from instructing (unless that is what you really want to do - in which case welcome aboard! The industry needs career instructors). And get some experience and enjoy doing the sort of flying that interests you. With your instructing back ground, you will be perused vigorously by most companies to get involved in 'check and training'. When this comes take the chance, because you won't look back.

Work out what sort of flying you want to do and go for it. Be careful not to set your sights too low. It's a pilot's market now with lots of turn over in most sectors. Gone are the days that you need to be an astronaut to fly a Chieftain or a King Air.

Suggestions: For IFR charter try Corporate Air in Canberra....always advertising for pilots and those I've spoken to seem happy and progress quickly. If you don't mind being away from home, try survey flying - Fugro springs to mind. I wouldn't recommend geo flying (too low and scary) but photo survey can take you to some interesting places and rapidly build your log book. They employ pilots from all over the place, good equipment and good pay.

If IFR and all that goes with it is not your cup of tea, then consider getting a float endorsement. Once you get a foot in that industry then you will have a job for life - and a good job too. The aeroplanes are usually pretty slick, work environment is great and the passengers are generally in a good frame - of - mind. What more could you want? If you want to fly a C208, why not on amphibs? They are becoming quite common here now! Once you've got some float time you could venture overseas to fly the float twotters seasonally. That would be a great semi-retirement gig!

The AFAP web site is a good place to start looking.

Go for it mate - good luck!

Pithblot.

Last edited by pithblot; 2nd Aug 2007 at 23:02.
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 15:16

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Perhaps the passion has gone, and reality set in.
Driving a forklift in jeans and t-shirt, 5 mins away from home, clock on, clock off, go home (without taking your work home), 4 afternoons a week, for $80k+, sure beats all the rigmarole and associated duties of flying for half that pay.
Just evaluating, stress, lifestyle, quality of life and not to forget money. No contest!
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 11:53

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
You are not alone, after 16 years away from flying I dipped my toes in the water (pardon the pun) by doing a float endorsement, 5600 hrs, got my class 1 medical, financially secure, looking for a seasonal job. We will see if 55 is TOO old.
As they say, If you don't have a go, you will never know.
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 12:06

Pearl Aviation are looking for M23 Captains in Darwin and Alice. $65,000pa. 3-4 days a week.
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 23:10

Well I believe the oldest person Qantas has hired was 53! So if Qantas will give you a job at that age, anyone will (well, hopefully)!

Go for it.
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 23:46

Originally Posted by OhForSure
Well I believe the oldest person Qantas has hired was 53! So if Qantas will give you a job at that age, anyone will (well, hopefully)!
Go for it.
Serious?? .. What sort of flying background did he/she have?
Old 5th Aug 2007, 09:24

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
In this modern times, how does a 1 page CV look like? I would be gratefull for a few pointers or web pages I could look at.
Old 6th Aug 2007, 11:18

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dga,

Please let us long-in-the-tooth wannabees know how you get on.

Just like Jimmy Tomkins going for a spot in the Olympic rowing team for Beijing at age 41, your success will show that there's hope for us old-timers yet!

Good luck and have fun.