Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Neighbours war with wounded soldiers families

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 17th Jul 2007, 11:49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked this up off E-Goat, which was taken from yesterdays Daily Mail.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7891

Utterly disgusting.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 11:55

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The item gets some coverage, understandably, on ARRSE too.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 12:04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try to avoid the Mail as it seems specifically designed to p1ss me off in as many different ways as possible, but I did catch this story.

If this story is true then I find it utterly deplorable. One might have thought that in this traditionally 'respectable', 'comfortable' area, service families might be held in high regard and welcomed. It says a lot about contemporary society that they are not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Some of the objections lodged are, quite frankly, ludicrous and offensive.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 12:12

ThRedBearOne

Apart from these few, I am at a total loss for words!
Old 17th Jul 2007, 12:27

Disgraceful...
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:05

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
I have only read the first three letters of objection, and I am filled with anger. These individuals obviously have NO contact with HM. Forces. Are none of their friends or family in the forces ?? Maybe a coach trip to Headley Court or Selly Oak would concentrate their minds, seeing the state that personnel repatriated back to the UK are in with their injuries. Those who are injured are reported in the media as injured, no extent is ever given and then are forgotten by everyone except their family and friends and those who care for them.

The people in Headley Court deserve our help, not the small minded attitude shown by these people. These individuals obviously care more for their social status and position in society and not have to risk even looking at someone who has been grieviously injured in the service of the Crown.

SSAFA should use all means to push for this accomodation, maybe ppruners who we care deeply about this subject should write to the Council Chief Executive putting forward their views in a robust manner.

This is nimbyism at its worst.

I am left disgusted and speechless by this attitude.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:24

While not wishing to excuse these appalling nimbys, the MOD's attitude to returned injured Servicefolk can hardly be held up as a shining example.

One could ask why does it fall to a charity to pick up the £1.7M capital and subsequent running costs for this facility? Why is a publicly funded facility not being built within the grounds of Headley Court?
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:26

Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts
have just flashed massively..... if you want to remain calm today don't read those representations....
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:36

Interesting that Mike J's link provides the names and addresses of the pompous complainers!
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:48

Flaps 62

Be-careful at what you may suggest or PC pc plod maybe after you for harassment. The internet is not anonymous. What better people to move in amongst you, those who have and will continue to give service, far far better than a wannabe pop star, so called celebrity, a politician or the local drug lord.

Why not instead of playing the lottery this week send your pound to SSAFA, every little helps.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 13:49
6Z3

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I read the first row of "Letters of Representation" and felt so disgusted that I started taking down names and addresses to write my disgust to them. That was before I took a couple of breaths and calmed down. The hand written letter claiming that it is not NIMBYism, from an ex-serviceman I found particularly offensive.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 14:05

Does any one know what the local paper is (anyone been to Headley whiling away the hours reading the local rag)?? I can feel a full page ad coming on
Old 17th Jul 2007, 14:19

Air pig,

I was simply stating a fact, quite rightly added to by Mike J that these details are in the public domain.

Let's hope that no-one would ever consider putting pen to paper to express their outrage, or indeed let's hope that the Daily Mail does not doorstep these people (not in a Jill Dando stylee!) to ask them to justify their views!
Old 17th Jul 2007, 15:08
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.uk/ and http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.u...eadadvertiser/
Old 17th Jul 2007, 15:34

Snoop

There's been a few letters of representation added supporting the application this afternoon from all over the country - funny old thing that.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 15:36

Maybe the local traveller population should set up home in the area, and then hear the nimby's scream.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 15:57

http://www.mole-valley.gov.uk/cwi/ge...Representation
I focus your attention on point 2........
"A hotel/Hostel" - What an excellent example of people being so pig headed to actually under stand the nature of the proposed move.
Oh the fun that could be had with these people's post codes and telephone numbers.....

EDIT****

http://www.mole-valley.gov.uk/cwi/ge...Representation

Point 4 - How the prats would like a reduction in council tax???????
Old 17th Jul 2007, 16:33

I'm going to log on to a dogging website, and announce Mrs Tonker is available in this estate but only to men who stop and stay as long as poss!
Old 17th Jul 2007, 16:33

I don't know why you are surprised.

This is Surrey. Unpleasant things don't happen to people in Surrey. These people live in Surrey so that they can attend dinner parties and go to gymkhanas, while the rest of the world does their bidding.

I bet half the 'protesters' are retired colonels as well.

A sad indictment of this country. People don't want to know what is happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. It is brutal and messy and it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Cue Rudyard Kipling.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 16:34

Of course Mole Valley District Council could always choose the site for housing others

Check out:

http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html

See if they meet the criteria!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.