Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Serviceman denied cancer drug

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 24th May 2007, 09:30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6685925.stm
Old 24th May 2007, 09:40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has made me utterly ashemed to be a member of the RAF, why isnt this mans Station Cmdr and SMO getting this sorted?
Old 24th May 2007, 09:48
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About 30 years ago my aunt was the store doctor for a branch of M&S. A warehouseman with about 20 years service was diagnosed with cancer. The only treatment was about 30 miles away, and private. The store manager rang his boss, and got a call back in minutes.

"Tell him it's paid for, as much as is needed, and make sure you book him a taxi to get there and back. The taxi can wait while he's being treated.
Old 24th May 2007, 10:26

I worked with Nick many moons ago what a great lad, didnt have a clue he was so ill, surely this is when our service repays us ? it shouldn't be up to his squadron to raise funds for his treatment.... As has been mentioned before what has the SMO done about this ?? Is the benevolent fund involved at all ??
Old 24th May 2007, 10:37

I'm hanging my head in shame at this utterley despicable treatment. If we were to be totally heartless and look at this from a financial aspect.....Treatment would cost far less than the costs of training and getting the experience for a replacement, even if its a one in four chance. The guys determination should do the rest
Old 24th May 2007, 10:47

I notice that his 'Sqn' is raising funds, is there anyone on line who can PM me to let me know how I can contribute? Any links?

Ed
Old 24th May 2007, 10:56

We can only hope for a good outcome to this dire situation, financially, medically and preferably both. Almost exactly the same thing happened last year in a small (squadron sized) firm in the South West. Employee had blinding headaches and was told 3 months wait for a scan; workmates put in £30 each = scan within 2 days. Told he had 14 days to live (brain tumour), emergency operation, fully cured and recovered. Here is where it goes differently! The firm's boss refunded all the employees the money they had put in to help their colleague! This man's squadron is working to help him, what are the NHS and the SMO doing? Obviously no chance of the squadron's collection getting refunded bit it sounds shameful, as reported so far.
Old 24th May 2007, 11:51

The MOD waste millions because of bad management, don't let bad management be the result of losing one of our own professional colleagues.

Message to his station OC and SMO. Pull your fingers out......sirs!

FbS
Old 24th May 2007, 12:20

Cant fint him on t'intranet, what is his stn and sqn? Since the military have disposed of their hospitals except for Silly Oak he will have to take his chances with the NHS. Dont Stn Cdrs have welfare funds............I would think this much more deserving than the ceramics club!
Old 24th May 2007, 14:17

Someone, very brown, not too far away from me as I type is setting up a method for those keen to help Nick. Watch this space.
Old 24th May 2007, 14:43

I'll sling a ten spot into the fighting fund. just tell me how and where.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:40

Well it's me. The guy that this thread is about. How come I didn't even know this great web site existed?

My Squadron (6 Squadron), have been fantastic throughout my illness. I really have a great family and bunch of friends up there.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not the RAF that's letting me down, it's the NHS. I've paid my taxes and insurance since leaving college, never claimed any benefits or dole and this is how I am thanked.

So much to write.. I just want to thank you guys for your support and kind words. It means a lot!
Old 24th May 2007, 16:06

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
May I also draw your attention to this thread over on the Army means?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/...7.html#1291187

There is much support over there also, and I'd be happy to pass on the relevant details of the arrangements to which OCCWMF refers.

Best wishes to you, Nick.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:37

Donations

Sorry for the delay.

You can send donations to support Nick to:

Cpl Nick Lock Support Fund
c/o 6 Sqn Adjutant
RAF Coningsby
Lincoln
LN4 4SY

Please make cheques payable to 'Service Funds RAF Coningsby'

Thank you for your support.

Nick's Mates.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:42

Nick,

I don't know if this will be of any help and I certainly don't wish to get your hopes up unnecessarily but some 8 years back (after leaving HMF) I required surgery for a cervical spine condition that was not life threatening but needed asap to avoid further possible complications. I was told that it would probably take a year or so. Then I found out about a little known article of protocol that ex-service personnel are entitled to go straight to the top of any NHS waiting list. I was sorted within a couple of months.

I realise you are still serving but if you contact the Veterans Agency maybe a similar protocol exists for serving personnel.

I hope everything goes all right for you.

All the best,

2close
Old 24th May 2007, 19:56

E-Goat are in on this as well...Hope we can make a difference.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showt...d=1#post112018
Old 25th May 2007, 12:13

Come on Power People

I find this very upsetting to read.
As an Ex'RAF Plumber of some 23yrs born and bread in Plymouth my heart goes out to Nick.
Cant swear to much as I'm new to this site, but suffice to say I am VV Angry at the situation you are in m8.
Hang in there Champion I and many more will try to help in anyway.
Keep ya chin up fellow Devon Dumpling.
Thoughts with ya.
Andy
'' COME ON POWER PEOPLE !! ..THIS MAN HAS PERFORMED FOR YOU...
TIME TO PERFORM FOR HIM ''
Old 25th May 2007, 12:43

2close

I thought that it was if the illness/injury was attributable to service that you got the jump to the top of the queue, but obviously your experience does not reflect this.

I think part of the problem here is that the NHS as a whole, does not sanction the use of this drug due to its expense and its success rate - IIRC there was something on the news a few months ago either about this drug or another one.

However, it is outrageous that someone who pays taxes all their life and keeps themselves in good shape, should be denied treatment. What about all those people who get treatment despite the fact that they take no exercise, are obese, drink and smoke loads?

Nick, I do not know you but may I echo everyother sentiment here and wish you good luck with your fight to full good health.
Old 25th May 2007, 13:16

Shambles of a state

Just goes to show the state of our health service and the inability of the military to fund someone who has previously beaten cancer.

Having been on and seen some of the money that is wasted on detachments for the sake of a good time. As well as the money thrown at functions such as disbandments not to mention those enthralling tv adverts why can't the MoD fund Nick's treatment.

More annoying as I know Nick and have to say that he is one of the friendliest and funniest people you could know and a throw back to how a front line squadron should be, one of the ultimate modern liney's.

Beat it again mate, the cancer that is
Old 25th May 2007, 13:24

Good luck Nick - cheque's in the post...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.