Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Landing on a Light House

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Landing on a Light House

Search this Thread

Old 20th May 2007, 21:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Landing on a Light House

I have just rented a Light House (Royal Sovereign) with Heli Deck, 7 mile off shore southern England, Great Views!.
I am interested to hear views and advice of the best method to approch and depart.
I operate an Alouette II (light turbine)
Thanks
Old 20th May 2007, 22:59

fly out to lighthouse land. Take off from lighthouse depart. Sorry if im rude but if you need advice on landing and taking off ask your instructor or just stick to the circuit
Old 21st May 2007, 00:20

Enstrom,

I don't expect smart ar$e answers help you in any way.

I've never landed on a lighthouse but I wouldn't expect it to be different to any other confined area or off airfield landing. I would just give it a good recce before approaching, wind, obstacles, options, wind etc etc and the wind. Obviously, the more you know before you go, the better. If someone can provide you with a photo, that might help ease your concern.

Perhaps the people you are renting it from can put you in touch with a previous pilot who landed there.

Sounds like fun. The Alouette is a lovely old machine isn't it?
Old 21st May 2007, 00:52

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
A couple of quick ones - hard to know what needs covering without knowing the situation, but:

If it's an elevated pad without much terrain around it for reference, find out the elevation and plan to get yourself to a 'gate point' about 300 ft above and say 500 m out from the pad at 60 kts. Fly in level on finals until you're approaching what you judge to be a comfortable approach angle, sight down and across the pad to something in the distance you can line up gunsight-style, and fly a gentle decelerating descent to get your backside over the pad as you reach the hover. Go round if you don't like it and start again.

Get a brief first and do a diligent recce to ensure you know where any wires are (going to outbuildings or whatever, or maybe guy wires).

Probably windy there, so be aware of where it's coming from and whether you're likely to get turbulence from structures or surrounding terrain, have a power margin to cope with same.

If it's a small deck you may lose some reference to it when you're over the top of it, so see if you can pick some fore-and-aft and lateral markers to satisfy yourself you're landing where you want to and where the rotors will be clear of obstacles.

If your machine breaks down on the pad, are there alternative means of getting in and out, or is there enough room to land two there?

Departure - if there's a nice drop-off, it will probably be tempting to nose over and head off like a diving seagull - don't do this unless you're absolutely sure there's no wires to spoil your fun. Otherwise a normal departure or a level-ish airspeed over altitude type one would be good.

How are you off for flotation gear, epirb, ditching brief etc - 7 nm doesn't seem far but it would if you were swimming in the cold water.
Old 21st May 2007, 04:41
sss

http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/intera...sovereign.html

is this the place
Old 21st May 2007, 04:48

There was an article in the Telegraph about this back in October 2006, see here. So when you say "just rented" it, either you mean some months back to give the chance for this article to be written, or you are another Alouette owner in the UK (a select group, no doubt) subletting it from the Mr Casselden in this article, who has safely landed his Alouette on the deck, see photo below. The article does mention that he plans to rent it out, but does not mention that his Alouette replaces Enstrom G-BYKF

To save you looking at the full article, the photo in it is:-

(edited to make the photo work and not be a link)
Old 21st May 2007, 07:23

is this the place ?

yes !

it includes a purpose made helideck (up to 32,000 lbs)

should be fine when its not too windy !

Old 21st May 2007, 07:32

telegraph article

The article was written late last year.

One reason for the thread was to seek comment and views (and perhaps safety tips) from any oil rig (or similar) pilots, who, no doubt, have plenty of experiance on these structures.

Replys like the one from 'arm out the window' are just what I hoped for, this is very useful, may help me, (or other visiting helis !).
Old 21st May 2007, 07:36

"Departure - if there's a nice drop-off, it will probably be tempting to nose over and head off like a diving seagull - don't do this unless you're absolutely sure there's no wires to spoil your fun. Otherwise a normal departure or a level-ish airspeed over altitude type one would be good"

If it's an elevated pad (like a toadstool), may I suggest that you don't just move forward from a five foot hover. If the engine were to fail just as you clear the deck, your tailboom hitting the pad would cause you to head nose first into the drink. Better to go up vertically to about fifteen feet or so and then move into forward flight -an 'offshore' take-off.
Old 21st May 2007, 07:37

The Alouette is a lovely old machine

its Ex German army on the Hungarian Reg (full EASA CofA)

great to fly - solid

a liitle slow, quite noisy, quite thursty

but 5 place, good lift

VERY reliable, parts are available, no need to count starts
Old 21st May 2007, 08:13

Excellent! I have been on the Royal Soveriegn many times, we used to change the crews every 2 weeks using a Bolkow 105D out of Shoreham. Brings back fond memories, indeed, I look back on the flying I did for Trinity House as some of the best flying of my career, it was a privilege to have done it.
As for the RS, the deck is a decent size so you should have no problems. There seems to be a big myth about landing on offshore platforms, if you can execute a decent approach and landing to a helipad onshore then doing the same offshore should present no problems in daylight and good weather.
You will of course be single engined over the sea and will need to carry the appropiate survival equipment. It would be a good idea to have it clear in your own mind what actions to take should you be unfortunate enough to have to carry out an autorotation to the water.
Sorry if that last passage sounds a bit gloomy but I do hope you enjoy.
Old 21st May 2007, 09:03

RS

hi

any time you fancy a revisit just email

[email protected]

Old 21st May 2007, 10:42

Combine Operations

A lot of people think that if you can land on a lighthouse you can land anywhere, but the reverse is the case. If you can land anywhere you can land on a lighthouse.

You are guaranteed no obstructions, you can always land into wind, and the deck is stationary. The Royal Sovereign is not your normal lighthouse; it has the obvious light tower in the corner, but then again, the deck is huge, relatively speaking.
Old 21st May 2007, 11:13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the photograph on the Trinity House web site is current then it would appear to be covered in guano (i.e. bird-5****)*. This is, in itself, a major problem with unmanned installations. The landing circle and H appears to be obliterated. I work for an offshore oil & gas operator and this is the point where the pilots begin to refuse to fly there (in low light conditions anyway).

If the guano is that bad then it hits you in the back of the throat the minute you step off the chopper (but this is another story for another day).

* Someone may confirm that it’s a silver or aluminium deck, and I'm talking crap myself.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:06

Landing on a Light House
A real pain in the arse, requiring the bestest ray bans if done at night when joining the action below. best to land aways a bit or beside it!

come on old mate AOTW you are joshing us aren't you? always maintain the integrity of the uncirculated air by climbing into fresh air.

Departure - if there's a nice drop-off, it will probably be tempting to nose over and head off like a diving seagull - don't do this unless you're absolutely sure there's no wires to spoil your fun.
I know you wouldn't teach diving into translation even if you end up descending a bit, you could end up on the rocks.
tet

PS I know one dude who writes here sometimes who did just that, but then you may be reminding us all of that incident, if you knew the illustrious driver concerned.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:54

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
G-BAFD

Flown that 105 a fair bit, but for Bond. No idea that BCAL had it before them or was it on loan? As regards the thread, the sovreign is probably the easiest offshore lighthouse to land on and a normal offshore approach and departure will keep you good, however the bird droppings will not endear you to any of your guests! The smell(if it has not been manned for a few years) will seriously make you gag and if the deck is wet.......
If your looking for difficult, try the sevenstones lightship on a neap tide!! Good luck

Last edited by griffothefog; 21st May 2007 at 14:07. Reason: spelling
Old 21st May 2007, 19:26

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
G-BAFD

Wow... thanks for that info.
Old 21st May 2007, 20:13

Looks a great fun place to land, at least there is plenty of space on the deck

Nigel
Old 21st May 2007, 20:46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enstrompilot

Looks like an interesting place to be. May I offer the following advice based on a few yrs of landing on and shutting down on offshore platforms.

Plan your sortie thoroughly bearing in mind the following:-

1. Brief yourself on the weather at the platform - wind direction being the most critical - is it going to stay in the same direction and speed while you are out there.

2. The approach is relatively easy if you use the constant angle style of approach. Give yourself a decision point where you are committed to land - if you don't like the approach go round before this point. This may also be the point, should you have an engine failure you can still make the deck, before this an auto into the sea may be safer as landing short is not an option as you will wipe yourself out on the deck edge or leg.

3. Take off should be with the edge of the disc at the deck edge with a positive application of power giving you a vertical ascent - at a suitable height (in my case 20ft in a twin) positively lower the nose and transition away. This should keep the tail away from the deck edge should the engine fail after rotation - but you will still be in a dicey position as you try to auto onto the sea.

4. While on the deck and shut down do you have tie downs and blade ties as the wind offshore can be quite strong and we have had at least one helicopter blown over while left on deck, not tied down, due to a squall going through changing the wind by 90deg and doubling its' speed.

5. Do you have a plan to get off the platform if the helicopter is u/s on start? My company does not allow us to shutdown if the installation doesn't have a crane capable of lifting the helicopter off the deck onto a supply boat and this does happen!!

6. Stock up with food and water - just in case you are stranded. Only last week while starting up offshore the fog came in and 3ml viz became 20yds in about 5 mins but we have a fully stocked galley (and sat TV)

Good luck anyway

HF
Old 21st May 2007, 20:59

So....the questions that immediately come to mind are...........

why would one want to rent out a light house ...with or with out a heli pad ?

Isolation perhaps? ....... Pesky relatives that always drop in at the most inappropriate times or are always borrowing something?

always wanted a spiraled cone shaped house...with light & just trying it on ?

HF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.