Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight)
Reload this Page >

Reclining seats send airline tempers soaring

Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Reclining seats send airline tempers soaring

Old 10th Feb 2007, 02:55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Reclining seats send airline tempers soaring

Hello,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070209/...lines_seats_dc

Regards.
Old 10th Feb 2007, 09:53

I know it bugs me, at 6'3 any recline on the seat in front causes discomfort. The thing that really bugs me though is the lack of courtesy before reclining, people don't seem to ask they just do it! And when asked nicely if they wouldn't mind not reclining you either get ignored (pretending to be asleep) or pure arrogance and bloody mindedness!
Old 10th Feb 2007, 09:54

I totally agree and would personally prefer the airlines to fix the seatbacks in the upright position for short haul flights where the seat pitch is usually more restrictive than long haul.
Old 10th Feb 2007, 12:09

BrummyGit,
Excellent idea!
Airlines: pay attention.
Old 10th Feb 2007, 13:14

I know it bugs me, at 6'3 any recline on the seat in front causes discomfort. The thing that really bugs me though is the lack of courtesy before reclining, people don't seem to ask they just do it! And when asked nicely if they wouldn't mind not reclining you either get ignored (pretending to be asleep) or pure arrogance and bloody mindedness!
-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm the same height. I usually have my legs locked into the seat back in front so that the seat cannot be reclined. After several attempts the person in front usually gives up. I can't help being tall. It wasn't my choice.

I only do long haul, rarely short haul. Oddly I feel dizzie and sick if I recline my seat, but perfectly OK in the upright position to sleep. I only choose to fly with airlines who advertise a 34" pitch.
Old 10th Feb 2007, 19:39

or pure arrogance and bloody mindedness!
The one with pure arrogance and bloody mindedness is you. Whilst I accept its polite to have the seat upright at mealtimes, passengers pay for a seat that reclines (except on Ryanair!) - what right do you have to try to deny them that right at other times? Too tall? Not the person in front's problem - if you can't fit into an economy seat with the one in front of you reclined, fly business class.

Andy
Old 10th Feb 2007, 21:26
Bludger extraordinaire

what right do you have to try to deny them that right at other times? Too tall?
Shortarse.

BOFH
Old 10th Feb 2007, 23:07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A tad unfair and discriminatory EastMids! The real issue here is that in their quest to make profits from the masses, airlines just pack too many seats in too little space. They are the guilty party in all this. I think the idea of no recline for Y seats is a good one. I've said it before and I will continue saying it, there should be industry regulations on minimum allowable seat pitch and perhaps the same for recline options.
Old 11th Feb 2007, 00:32

May I suggest www.kneedefender.com (Although I cant seem to access the site right now) read about it here http://www5.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/04/04/bt.knee.defender/

Garth
Old 11th Feb 2007, 12:58

i dont see the problem i am six one i pay for my seat and i have the right to use it as it was designed if you are a taller person go to the airport early and get a exit seat i was on 30 flights in 06 in every class 14 of the flights were transatlantic on one of my flights from bfs -ewr in economy on continental 757 we had our meal and after i put my seat back about 2 inches i went to sleep and about 1 hour later i started to get the knee in the back it went on for 10 minutes so i turned around and this this guy was no taller than me but he was fat he said hey assh..e put that seat forward i said touch the back of my seat again and i will put the assh..e outa u once we get through emmigration and that was that if you are flying economy get a exit or dry your eyes
Old 11th Feb 2007, 13:47

Flying to New York last year, the minute the seat belt signs were off the women infront of me put her seat all the way back. Even when serving the meals her seat was still in the recline position. The FA even told her to put the seat up, then the min she had gone the seat went back again. When politely asking her to put the seat back just while we were eating she said that her company had not paid for her to go in business class. So was angry being in economy! LOL.
Old 11th Feb 2007, 19:36

Yvonnelynch, it's not that you're not right but your attitude stinks! Read my post above. Don't take it out on the poor bloke behind you, take it out on the idiotic policy of the airline you fly on. Dismissing the tall guy simply by saying turn up early for an exit row seat is a dumb ill thought out statement. How many exit rows are there and in this day and age how many pax are in fact over 6 feet tall? How about a little courtesy instead of your brash macho agressive infantile attitude.
Old 11th Feb 2007, 20:34

Its just courtesy to have the seat upright during meal services and all the flights I can think of that I've been on make an announcement to have the seats upright and the CC enforce this as they serve the trays.

But outside of meal times - what they person in front does with their seat is up to them. If they want to recline it, so be it. They are not making the seat do anything it isnt designed to do.
Old 12th Feb 2007, 00:37

avman as far as my statements being dumb and ill thought out there is 12 exit seats over wing on the 757s i be on most of the time and 6 seats at the bulkhead and most longhaul airlines have online booking and better extra leg room seats available for a little extra i you can read u will see that the guy behind me started to knee the back of my seat i never put my seat back until after meal time and so in my normal brash macho agressive infantile way catch a grip sir !!
Old 12th Feb 2007, 02:39

Its amazing how many conflicts I have on flights over reclined seat backs!!! To be honest, its usually the icing on the cake after the battle through checkin, security, boarding and then not being allowed have a smoke onboard!!! Some people just explode when the person in front puts back their seats. Id love to think all passengers are polite enough to tell the passenger behind them that they are about to recline the seat but to be honest, I dont think I have ever witnessed it!!!! All I can do is tell the passenger that he/she is entitled to recline their seat also as the passenger in front has every right to recline theirs (and its true, I cannot tell a passenger not to recline their seats during the flight.,...not even at meal times, I can just ask them to!!!).

But during the meal services Im usually proactive in asking everyone to bring their seats up and it always works...fortunatley the vast vast vast majority of people are understanding during meal times.

As a 6ft tall crew member myself I hate flying longhaul as a passenger. Its such an issue with me and I just wish the heads involved would learn that they would actually be doing well (and perhaps justify the fares they charge on my airline) if they just took a row or two out of the planes and gave everyone a little more room! Wishful thinking!

Anyone seen those new Cathay Y class seats....GREAT IDEA!!!! Anyone have any experience of it???

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...conomyclass#f5
Old 12th Feb 2007, 07:03

Sorry Yvonne dear, your defence is flawed. Emergency rows are not allocated on line. Not everyone flies on B757s. I bet you there are more than 12 pax over 6 foot tall on any full B757 flight. I stick by what I said! And I say AGAIN, don't blame your discourteous fellow pax, blame the greedy couldn't-care-less-about-the-customers airlines!
Old 12th Feb 2007, 12:40

avman dont dear me get ur facts right exit seats are available online 24 hours before dpt on most airlines i have sat in 16 a on continentals 757s at lest 10 times when flying coach look at seatguru .com u will see that is a exit seat! and if i felt the same about airlines as you i would take the bus
Old 12th Feb 2007, 13:03

And I say AGAIN, don't blame your discourteous fellow pax, blame the greedy couldn't-care-less-about-the-customers airlines
I'm sorry, but I simply cannot follow the logic trail behind this? Maybe I'm being thick, but it seems to me:
  • An airline sells the customers a product, namely a seat. There are a choice of products/seats available, some being more expensive than others.
  • The customer then makes a decision as to which product to buy, or, if the product is not what is required, then makes a decision not to buy.
  • If the airline creates a product that does not reflect the market value of the price charged, that airline will eventually cease trading.
How is this greed? I'm missing something... The purchase of an economy seat entitles the customer to the purchased product, not a different, more expensive one. This is incidentally, the issue that I have with the knee defender mentioned previously. Notwithstanding the missing element of courtesy and consideration, the knee defender implicitly assumes that the rights of one individual take precedence over another, as a result of a commercial purchase. I have no doubt that there are a host of justifications given by the vendor and users of the product. I regard them as smoke and mirrors, designed to mask the fact that one person has decided that they want something, and everyone else can go hang!

P.S. posted as an individual, not a mod, so feel free to disagree!
Old 12th Feb 2007, 13:05

EastMids Quote:
or pure arrogance and bloody mindedness!

The one with pure arrogance and bloody mindedness is you.

if you can't fit into an economy seat with the one in front of you reclined, fly business class

Thanks EastMids I appreciate your response and that is exactly the arrogance that I am on about, you just don't care wether your actions affect others or not. I do all that I can to ensure that I get a seat where I don't encounter people like you or yvonnelynch, early check-in, online checkin, get to the airport early etc etc etc, I have been very fortunate that by doing some of these things I have secured my desired seat or better, however there have been occaisions where this has not been possible.

Another example of arrogant attitudes and bloody mindedness:

Flew easyJet LGW-AMS (was with a party so not my first choice of carrier), unfortunatly ended up at the back of the aircraft. After takeoff pax in front reclined seat to fullest extent, therefore causing me discomfort, at no time did he ask if I minded (I even asked that he not recline so far!), he therefore ended up with two knees digging into his back! About half way through the flight he goes to the toilet, upon his return, he sits back down again and does the same thing, only this time he asks me if I was OK, I of course told him that with his seat fully back it was causing me discomfort (solution return to upright position or at least meet me halfway!), his reaction was to simply turn around and ignore the problem, he therefore got my knees in his back again.

The simple lesson here is ask me if I mind and we can come to a mutual agreement (i.e half recline etc), don't ask me and I will make you as uncomfortable as me!
Old 12th Feb 2007, 13:36

Tightslot, looking at your age, like me you must have experience of Y travel 20-30 years ago. In those days reclining seats in Y were not an issue because the seat pitch was adequate. Over the years airlines have crammed more and more seats in their Y cabins in an attempt to maximise yield whilst retaining competitive fares. Fine, and as you point out, we have a choice. But that's not the issue here. What I'm simply trying to point out is that if airlines want to succumb to the commercial pressures of more seats less space then they should seriously consider the seat recline issue which does cause exactly what the title of this thread suggests! I'd say that the above responses have in fact confirmed this. Finally, a large proportion of travellers cannot afford C or F class. Is this sufficient reason for them to endure hours of discomfort from a reclined seat in Y. Where's the logic in this train of thought? If airlines want to provide Y pax reclining seats then they should be responsible enough to ensure that any recline does not impact on passenger comfort. Finally, just for the record, I always fly C class on flights of 2 hours or more AT MY OWN COST.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.