Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Other Aircrew Forums > Cabin Crew
Reload this Page >

Cabin Crew Member, a Bible and a Tribunal - Here we go again

Wikiposts
Search
Cabin Crew Where professional flight attendants discuss matters that affect our jobs & lives.

Search this Thread

Old 19th Dec 2006, 21:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local news reporting (Midlands) that a Trolley Dolly is to take BMI to an industrial tribunal.
Why?
She is not allowed to take her Bible to Saudi Arabia with her.
Why?
The Home Office has said that people should not take religious artifacts into KSE, except Quar'an.
Who is supporting her?
TUC.

Maybe somebody should point out that she could take it into the country, however it would be confiscated. There is the potential that she would end up in the slammer.

My personal opinion - OPPORTUNIST
Old 20th Dec 2006, 02:48

she could take it into the country, however it would be confiscated. There is the potential that she would end up in the slammer.
She could take it into the country, it wouldnt be confiscated, she wouldnt end up in the slammer.......

Nothing wrong with taking a bible into Saudi..... even Christmas decorations are openly on sale these days....

Mutt
Old 20th Dec 2006, 14:06

You might find that festive decorations can be taken in but christmas decorations can't.

You may also find that not being able to take a bible into Saudi could be used not to fly there and continue flying to the USA and Caribbean destinations which are nicer in everyway possible. Cynical?

Old 20th Dec 2006, 15:53

Kalium
Thanks for that link, this goes back to what I said in the beginning.

Why is she taking BMI to a tribunal?

I personally have no problem with BMI, I wish them every support against somebody who is quite obviously a gold digger.
Old 20th Dec 2006, 16:11

Contrary to a misleading and inaccurate newspaper report, bmi has not banned bibles on services to Saudi Arabia.
Sorry to dispel your thoughts but yes they have banned bmi crew from taking bibles into saudi, along with newspapers, magazines, laptops and DVD's. There is a reason for this but this is no place to explain why. Initially there was an awful lot of apprehension from flight crew and cabin crew when heard that bmi would be needing its crew to layover in what is an unstable country and does have a high threat level towards brits. Crew tried every way out of going there whilst remaining on the L/H fleet. The company was not prepared to make any exeptions and give their crewing department a minefield where people could cherry pick which routes they would work on.

Perhaps someone who is particularly religious (see the cross and BA sitiuation) would find it impossible to be told that they could not take their cherished bible to work or wear a symbol of their faith, coming from a country that actively welcomes symbols of various faiths and accomodates them.

You can either be cynical or trusting and that is what the tribunal will have to decide, and at the end of the day we cannot know the truth, it is for the crew member concerned to search their own conscience.

Old 20th Dec 2006, 16:43

The flight attendant asked not to be rostered to Saudi but bmi refused to take Saudi off her roster. She was told she could be transferred back to shorthaul routes but couldn't request to not fly to Saudi as long as she flew longhaul.
Old 22nd Dec 2006, 12:59

We all have a cross to bare

"Y'know, British Airways is right. A cross does look better worn under the uniform."