Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Interviews, jobs & sponsorship
Reload this Page >

Highland Airways Sponsorship Scheme open!

Wikiposts
Search
Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Search this Thread

Old 19th Jul 2006, 20:03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there guys,

The cadet scheme is open for applications again.

It says the closing date is the 21st August.

http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/news/cadet.htm

Good news for all!

Well done Highland!
Old 19th Jul 2006, 21:41

Great news!

however (comma) it says you need a full PPL *cries*

sounds like a good idea, you have to work in ops before you can qualify... I guess they want you to understand how the company operates..

good luck to all that apply!
Old 20th Jul 2006, 08:58

however (comma) it says you need a full PPL *cries*
How selfish of them!!!

All old applications on file and as the ad states previously unsuccessful applicants not to apply.

SK
Old 20th Jul 2006, 09:12

Wouldn't let that stop you.

Just send them another.........
Old 20th Jul 2006, 09:20

Originally Posted by Bobs-Your-Uncle
Wouldn't let that stop you.

Just send them another.........
Yes, and the inability to follow simple instructions will obviously do your application the world of good.
Old 20th Jul 2006, 09:40

if you don't try you don't get!!!

giving up at the first hurdle is not the sort of quality that these companies want.

also shows them that you really really really want to work for them.

msg to all cadets.... phone them, email them hassle them (nicely) and tell them you want to be part of it. Better still call in and say hello. After all they are only human like you and i.

what have you got to lose?
Old 20th Jul 2006, 11:03

What absolute rubbish.

Lets see what have they got to lose - the job perhaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't listen to this drivel. The applications are still on file and will be reviewed. If you don't get the call then it is because you are unsuccessful again. Everything is cross referenced. There is a high workload in dealing with this scheme. If everyone applies twice then you will double the workload for a very small company and be very very unpopular. Ultimately Highland will just shut the scheme down and take on people with IR's.
In the current climate if Logan charging just for the type rating it is good to see someone prepared to sponsor people. Don't make them withdraw it.
You will only get one shot at this. Don't hassle or harrass - you have no right to and you won't get the job.
Old 20th Jul 2006, 12:24

If you haven't yet acheived a PPL but are nearly there, apply anyway, I know a few people who have, and they were asked for interview. If you're a good egg then I think you may have a chance, as long as you convince them you're nearly finished.
Old 20th Jul 2006, 13:01

Yeah great. Bet none of them got in though.
Some people seem to think the PPL is an inconvenience. If you haven't got the commitment to get it done in order to apply why shouldn't they give it to someone who has. What's wrong with applying once only with the prerequisite qualifications. If you don't, wait till next time. This thread should be re named 'How to annoy Highland Airways and make sure you don't get in'.
Old 20th Jul 2006, 13:25

Nicely put. All the best when the time comes!
Old 21st Jul 2006, 09:46

one was actually successful, and who's annoying who? Do you work for the Atlantic group?

Last edited by SinBin; 21st Jul 2006 at 12:16.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:11

Sinbin

Get off your high horse. Highland haven't employed anyone who didn't have a PPL at interview. Fact. Indeed the last person was far more qualified than just a basic PPL.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 12:13

Angel

Silverknapper, I'm not on any high horse, where did you get that idea from? I really don't care about this airline nor about sponsorship, I was just letting people know what friends of mine have achieved. It's like a lot of jobs, where you don't quite meet the requirements, apply anyway, you never know where it might get, if I'd stuck to minimum requirements all my working life, do you think I'd be where I am now (highly paid management job)!! I'm not getting into any pointless rows here, let's all be friends and strive to fly planes for a living, yes?

Last edited by SinBin; 21st Jul 2006 at 13:47.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 19:42

Anyway aside from all the arguing thats going on,what is the pay like at highland anybody give advice what sort of company its like to work for? what there main line of work is and what are the bases like?

Many Thanks
Dom
Old 21st Jul 2006, 21:02

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/fact...np1wp2mj6jh7f4

FO base seems to be £20k... not sure if thats what you get after the sponsorship or if thats direct entry, but it gives an idea.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 21:48

salary as a cadet is £300 a month whilst training and doing the Macfugly thing.

money goes upto 90% of any salary when 'on line' with a 10% bonus of all earned salary at the end of contract.

contract is 5 years on line with a £75K bond reducing each month.

18 months maximum as a MacFugly which includes all training before the 5 years start.

No sick pay, no days off (thats right! 7 days a week) and the general MacFugly things to keep you occupied.

Flying is encouraged whenever possible with the flying school next door.

Long live the MacFugly scheme!

Poo
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 09:45

£75K bond - what a bargain!
I wonder why this airline feels the need to even run a cadet scheme, which according to their website 'produces a frozen ATPL within aproximately two years'.
Why put people through a two year scheme when there are plenty of FATPL holders from 'quality' flying schools (I am one too!) without jobs and virtually willing to sell their sould for a flying job?
Please don't tell me it's to do with 'wanting to train them in the ways the company works', or 'moulding them' as that is all waffle dreamt up by somebody in HR who probably doesn't know their airside pass from their air speed indicator.
What's working in ops got to do with flying the aircraft anyway? sounds like a way of employing somebody within the company when they're not sure that there will be a flying job for them at the end of the course.
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 15:22

no days off (thats right! 7 days a week)
Technically true but in reality they get one day off a week.

11g you sound like a bitter person. The scheme is modelled on the Atlantique one which has run very well for many many years, when other airlines were sponsoring too. I agree that at first glance it doesn't make much sense. But the amount of ex fuglies still at atlantic show that it does create people in the company mould. All of whom are very knowledgable in all aspects of the operation and are very aware of the bigger picture, and all of whom have progressed to the left seat at a young age but with a great deal of maturity. The company gets someone for 5 years rather than someone who is looking for a jet job the minute they join. And if they do leave early the company has them bonded to a high level so it doesn't lose out.
By the time a 200hr guy serves his/her 3 year bond they are ready for command just when they are looking to leave. FO's are ten a penny. It is skippers that all TP outfits are struggling to retain.

somebody in HR who probably doesn't know their airside pass from their air speed indicator
Actually by the MD who has more hours already in more types than most of us will ever achieve.
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 15:49

Silver..
Sorry if I sound bitter, that is not my intention. I just don't see that it makes economic sense in the current climate of 'self sponsorship' etc. Why spend 2 years 'moulding' somebody - I know from experince in large companies it does not take 2 years to do this, you offer a good working environment and adequate rewards and people soon fit in to the corporate ideals. If you offer this environment people tend to want to stay, rather than 'punishing them' to the tune of thousands of pounds for daring to leave.
As for the idea coming from the MD with vast amount of flying experience, I cannot say whether that is the case and I take my hat off and bough to his flying skills etc, but in an industry where we are always told an airline might decide on Friday that it needs 10 pilots on Monday I cannot see how a 2 year plan fits in when those pilots are already out there and more than eager to be 'moulded' for fair reward.
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 15:52

Originally Posted by silverknapper
Actually by the MD who has more hours already in more types than most of us will ever achieve.
wait a minute, is that the MD who was sacked by atlantic a couple of months ago, but has since made a return as something else??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.