Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Resettlement JPA Beware!

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Resettlement JPA Beware!

Old 23rd Jun 2006, 09:51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Resettlement JPA Beware!

Being 'Finally Going' I got down to resettlement and found that JPA is pursuing the Air Force to the grave - the other services not being affected yet of course! You'll be pleased to hear that it is now immeasurably more difficult to get fees and daily expenses for courses thanks to everything now going through JPA - BUT ONLY FOR THE RAF - Is that fair? Still being 2 months high-rate flying pay short I'm less than impressed. Oh, and thanks to the Army sending a Medical Dischargee scuba-diving in Thailand, any overseas course ('though it will cost exactly the same as doing it in the UK) now has to go through MOD. You may imagine the extra hassle there.
RAF leavers be warned; JPA won't leave you alone 'til the day you hand in your 1250 - and even then it'll hassle you if you want Enhanced Learning Credits. Nice to know that the RAF is following the USAF's lead in appreciating and looking after its veterans. Great for morale.
Keep
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 10:18

Originally Posted by FinallyGoing
Being 'Finally Going' I got down to resettlement and found that JPA is pursuing the Air Force to the grave - the other services not being affected yet of course! You'll be pleased to hear that it is now immeasurably more difficult to get fees and daily expenses for courses thanks to everything now going through JPA - BUT ONLY FOR THE RAF - Is that fair? Still being 2 months high-rate flying pay short I'm less than impressed. Oh, and thanks to the Army sending a Medical Dischargee scuba-diving in Thailand, any overseas course ('though it will cost exactly the same as doing it in the UK) now has to go through MOD. You may imagine the extra hassle there.
RAF leavers be warned; JPA won't leave you alone 'til the day you hand in your 1250 - and even then it'll hassle you if you want Enhanced Learning Credits. Nice to know that the RAF is following the USAF's lead in appreciating and looking after its veterans. Great for morale.
Keep
To be fair, there are currently pros and cons in that the RAF have the ability to claim some elements that the other two services cannot yet claim. It's a weird pay system which differentiates based on the colour of a uniform, especially when in a tri-service environment, three people can make the same journey to work and all have different levels of reimbursement!

The ELC system has just been overhauled as well, there are a new batch of authorised suppliers, so it would be worth keeping a weather eye on their website (when it works). ELCs are a superb concept as long as they don't go the same way as the Government learning credit system (abused, frauded and cancelled).

I have been advised to accelerate my actions prior to terminal date - ie get everything in place, medical, dental, etc so that there can be no confusion or problems when I go outside (especially with payment of terminal grants and pensions). My only bonus is that I am doing civilian work attachments rather than GRT courses - I spent the last 5 years qualifying using Standard Learning Credits via the OU.
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 12:39

Pompey

I may be wrong but I thought all 3 services now worked from the same allowance regulations (JSP700) and therefore regardless of whether you are on JPA or not everybody should be entitled to the same allowances and at the same rate. Sounds to me like you have a jobsworth admin person who is using the "you're not entitled" excuse rather than getting off their fat shiney ar5e and paying you correctly.

Personal opinion!

W
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 14:29

Angry DIFFERENCES

W - Regret you are incorrect, there are some changes to allowances and pay etc that are only introduced when JPA is delivered so Army and RN will get different treatment to the RAF for a period while the await the arrival of JPA.
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 20:05

Originally Posted by MilSpFunc
W - Regret you are incorrect, there are some changes to allowances and pay etc that are only introduced when JPA is delivered so Army and RN will get different treatment to the RAF for a period while the await the arrival of JPA.
Yep - my bete noire, the Gosport Ferry, where current regs mean that RAF cyclists can claim the ferry fare, Army and RN cannot. The Army will not claim until next year, the RN can claim later this year! There are quite a few little rules like this, and at a tenner a week, I know whose pocket I would rather see padded by that tenner!
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 20:19

Soz for the duff gen - and I work at a tri service establishment as well! Should have known better. That'll teach an aircrew mate not to dabble in the black art of allowances!