Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

ATPL(H) or CPL(H)?

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

ATPL(H) or CPL(H)?

Search this Thread

Old 29th Nov 2004, 11:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL(H) or CPL(H)?

Hi everyone, hoping some of you in the know can help me on this one.

I have instructor rating on my PPL through old system and about 400hours PI.

If I go to the USA to get a Commercial licence will I be able to instruct whilst doing it based on my CAA assisstant instructor rating?

What are USA instructor pay rates like?

Finally if i have no intention of going to the North Sea is an ATPL really necessary?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th Nov 2004, 14:17

Short answer is 'no', you can't give training in the US on a foreign instructor licence. You must have the FAA Instructor rating. This is shown in FAR 61.3(d)(2), 61. 41 and 61.181

Although they cannot be signed off for exams or tests (only an FAA instructor can do this), a pilot in the US can count training done in another country towards the requirements, if the instructor is from a ICAO contracting state.

You can find these references at http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...ary/rgFAR.nsf/ and go and look in Current FARS

Instructor Pay rates range from $15-25 per hour. Not much compared with the UK (especially with the dollar-pound/Euro rates at the moment.)

As far as ATPL, I can't really answer this...I am not the one doing hiring. However, I have stayed away from the 'FROZEN-ATPL' for the reason that if I don't manage to get the IR and Multi-time in 3 years, then I'm stuffed!

I will do that when I know I'm on the IR and Multitime path.

cl12pv2s
Old 29th Nov 2004, 14:23

You do not need to get the multi time insinde the 3 years but you will need to pass the IR. Once you have the IR the exams are "frozen" and remain valid for up to 7 years after the expiry of your last IR currency check. In other words as long as you keep the IR current (or up to 7 years after it lapses) you can get the remaining requirements for the ATPL at any time in your future flying.

Grab a copy of LASORS for all the info.
Old 6th Dec 2004, 12:35

So in other word it is cheaper and best to get a CPL to fly commercially and upgrade to ATPL if you want to go the North Sea say in 10 years.
Old 7th Dec 2004, 15:04

Currently if you want to upgrade your licence from a CPL to the ATPL then you have to do the whole ATPL course. Hopefully within the next few years, the CAA will have created a CPL(H) course thats appropriate to helicopters and also a way to go from CPL to ATPL without having to do the whole ATPL couse.

well, I am allowed to dream arn't I !!!!
Old 7th Dec 2004, 15:20

At present time CPL + IR theory is sufficient for the issue of an ATPL but that might change in the future.
Old 7th Dec 2004, 20:41

There are other flying requirements as well to get your JAR ATPL(H),as well as CPL and IR rating ,you will also need 100 hours night flying on rotary,350 hours multi engine multi crew i.e superpuma and 100 hours instrument flying, other words you need time on the north sea ! but you would get this as a cojoe, but LASORS should be of use to you, but the JAR do tend to move the goal posts. Hope this is of use. Best of luck
Old 7th Dec 2004, 23:04

CPL or ATPL???

So, just to confirm, for me anyway. Employers are happy to take you on if you have a CPL (H)? and that you only need an ATPL if you want to go to the North Sea?. How about qualifications to fly HEMS or Police work?. Any help with this one please..

Darren
Old 8th Dec 2004, 17:58

To further clarify ATPL not required for north sea for Co-Pilot P2 CPL is good enough, but is required for Command P1.

so worst case you can work on ATPL exams once you are there. as you will have plenty of time on your hands from all those early finishes after those 0600 starts !

regards

CF
Old 15th Apr 2006, 07:46
Line_book

ATPL(H) or CPL(H)?

I have seen threads similar to this before, but I am interested in starting it again due to my own circumstances.

I am just starting ATPL GS, distance learning, but have not paid for module 2, and am planning to take about 10 months to complete both modules. I have abot 1000hrs TT (military), mostly twin engine. I will be loking for a job in about 16 months, but do not really know where or what type. My question is this - is it really worth me doing the full ATPL exams or should I just do CPL (H), considering I am not sure if I will be do IR in the 3 yr period after. I am considering tying to apply to some of the larger companies, (CHC), in which case I guess it would be beneficial. My prefered employment would be corporate and or air ambulance type work, then rig work, but I cannot be too picky initially about what I get.

I would be most grateful for any thoughts or advice on the subject.

Thanks

LB

Old 15th Apr 2006, 07:57

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
If you don't do the IR within three years, and then later come to do it, you will have to sit 6 exams again. Similarly, if you have CPL(H) theoretical stuff!

Consider whether it would be easier for you to re-learn/revise something you studied three years hence or whether you would want to start studying again from scratch. The ATPL(H) GS is a more expensive route but given your hours and ambitions, it might be the more sensible one.

I've gone for CPL(H) GS but my circumstances are different!

Cheers

Whirls
Old 15th Apr 2006, 08:09

The real decision at the moment is whether to go to the considerable expense of the instrument rating. At the moment the big companies on the North Sea are saying that they are not interested in recruiting anybody without one as there are sufficient people who are willing to pay for one out of their own pocket. The long term decision problem is that the situation tends to change with amazing speed. At times if you are vertical and breathing with a CPL/H, you are in when there is a panic on. At others-zilch. A month is a long time on the North Sea!
Old 15th Apr 2006, 11:31
Line_book

thanks for your replies.

both good advice. I am wondering reaaly, if I would be limiting myself initially in the job market by not doing the ATPL (H) GS, and then hoping that with a frozen ATPL I can secure a job, and then do an IR (possibly through whichever company I work for). On the other hand, as I understand it, if I do not do IR in the 3 yrs I will have to do the exams again anayway. Is there much work out there with a CPL (H), both in the UK and more probably in the rest of Europe, most likely on twin engine types?

Old 15th Apr 2006, 13:13

If you compare (in lasors) the privilages of ATPL(H) Vs. CPL(H) (something I am having trouble doing successfully with my currently groggy head) it seems that there something you can do with the former that you cannot do with the latter. Like I said my groggy head is making it difficult to work out exactly what that is though, so if anyone can get their head around the words...
Old 15th Apr 2006, 21:31
Line_book

I think it allows you to be the aircraft captain on a multi crew aircraft. I am not sure what else, but to me that is quite an important factor! Any further thoughts?

Old 15th Apr 2006, 21:55

I think it allows you to be the aircraft captain on a multi crew aircraft.
That was kind of what I thought (stand to be corrected though).
...quite an important factor!
Probably decides it then. No further thoughts. (I'm just a grommet.)
Old 15th Apr 2006, 22:06

Line Book

you're a tosser mate, but don't forget your rating in morse code, that will make you a REAL pilot.
Old 15th Apr 2006, 23:25

Eh? You what?
Old 16th Apr 2006, 04:23

S D

cross thread talk, old jungle saying from engineering days.
Old 16th Apr 2006, 06:11

Instrument Rating

Well done Topendtorque, a completely pathetic and unnecessary comment to a good discussion. Get a life...

Line_book, I'm in exactly the same position as you, although my hours are not military. I'm taking the ATPL(H) theory, hoping that I won't have to pay for an IR(H), and I believe taking the ATPL(H) is probably the best option.

Does anybody have any good advice on getting an IR(H) if you have to pay for it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.