Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

HELP APTITUDE IN A WEEK!!!!

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

HELP APTITUDE IN A WEEK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28th Mar 2006, 20:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP APTITUDE IN A WEEK!!!!

Hi all only my third time on sight and really impressed with some of the help and knowledge that can be found as well as the sarcasim.I am doing aptitude at RAF Cranwell in a weeks time and feel totally unprepared even though i have had some advice but i keep getting told that there is not much you can prepare for and that selection for the Air Corps is slightly easier than that of RAF or Navy.I hold a PPL with about sixty hours of flying time and have been informed that this will mean absolutely nothing,to cut to the chase i am starting to flap and could do with some advice or help in preparing and what to expect.......any help would be appreciated and might calm me down.
Old 28th Mar 2006, 20:24

What are you applying for? The apptitude tests vary greatly with respect to what you are going for?
Old 28th Mar 2006, 20:25

Chill

Do some hard phys every day of the week before.(helps you destress and sleep)
Don't drink the night before.
Get a good nights sleep.

Chill again
Do well.

Easy.
Old 28th Mar 2006, 21:09
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mental maths is the only skill that is tested that can be improved by practice.

Time/distance calcs of one or more aircraft and/or fuel burn variations at changing speeds should be complex enough!
Old 28th Mar 2006, 21:51

1. Have the required ability. You can't bluff these things. Even if you get through the test, if you're a bluffer, then you'll get weeded out somewhere along the line. If you try this job and can't hack it, it will be a living hell.

2. Prepare like hell in all the areas you can. Interview technique, mental maths, teamwork, speaking skills, initiative, physical fitness, lateral thinking, the list is endless. And it takes ages. I know, I got in off my SIXTH application. Why are you unprepared? I was preparing for this from the age of about 3. So were most of my mates.

3. Have a positive mental attitude. You have to believe in yourself and be single minded about wanting this. The old 'well I thought I'd give it a try because it sounds like a cool job' will not cut it.

4. Stop thinking about flying your puddle jumper. We want warfighting people. The flying is a small, small part of what it takes to deliver air power. So concentrate on what it takes to be strong of body and character or else you'll never get to the aeroplane stage. Moreover, IF you do get to the aeroplane stage (and specially if you're told to take one sausage side), you'll need that strength of body and character.

Good luck, sounds you're behind the drag curve. The good news is, if you get through it from the position you're in (i.e. using innate ability rather than inky swotness), you're probably the kind of chap we want!

Contrary to popular belief, its not a "walk in the park, Kazansky".

Finally!! I get to use it!!
Old 28th Mar 2006, 21:55

You might also want to lie about your age. I am all about stamping out ageism, but isn't there a cut off around the 24 / 26 year old mark?
Old 29th Mar 2006, 06:33

If you are panicking this much you will be bound to biff it. The military does not want someone who is terrified over aptitude tests - if you manage to get through them then you will be bound to fail at a later stage if you cannot keep your nerves under control. You probably need to do something less stressful.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 07:02

If you are panicking this much you will be bound to biff it.

Breakscrew - you must truly be the Iceman!

Last minute nerves are totally natural and appropriate at this stage. If you aren't a bit shaken then you're probably the sort of arrogant tosser that we take great pleasure weeding out in the training process. (Or just very dull).

Good advice from Tourist, I would re-emphasise NOT drinking the night before. Don't be dragged along by your peers here. Bed early, read a non-aptitude related book. Do not be worried by the fact that everyone else being tested seems to know more about the whole event than you - they almost certainly don't and probably feel the same.

You haven't said which Service you are intending to apply to. Going for the easiest to get into is probably not a good basis for joining. Bear in mind that the Army still has the hardest (standfast RM) basic O'training, and your flying career as a thoroughbred officer is limited. RAF has the most potential for any flier (but crappest uniform) while RN offers the inimitable ship-borne life (and best uniform), although in this era of jointness you'll probably get a cruise on Grey Funnel Line whichever Service you go for.

Good luck!
Old 29th Mar 2006, 09:00

Thumbs up

Toma 38,
I think that all the posts have a certain amount of truth in them. I would suggest that you be yourself. If you have a drink to calm you then have a drink, if you read a book before going to bed, then do so.

People get really stressed about these tests, I knew nothing about the process before I went to Cranwell, in fact I wanted to join the marines, but went to Cranwell for the practise in military interviews, and to get some insight as to what they were looking for. Sunsequently I was selected for pilot and have been doing it and enjoying it for eight years.

The aptitude tests are impossible to practise for, and not something to get worried by, from memory it took about 5 hours, and actually was quite enjoyable.

Mental arithmatic, is definately something you can practise, and is a skill that is essential, if/when you are actually selected. I have been told some of the problems have no solution, which sounds unussual, but again they want to put you under pressure, and see what you do. BE LOGICAL.

Interviews are actually quite hard to practise, on the day they will try to put you off balance, they want to see how you react, so again be yourself.

Team leadership/debate, do not be the bully, but when you have something to say, then say it in a constructive way. Sounds like you have other people giving you a hand maybe UAS or cadets, ask them about SMEAC.

Medical, well the body does not lie, just get used to wearing a very short dressing gown for a couple of hours.

Lots of words what does it all mean. Relax, enjoy it and most of all be yourself, the nerves are perfectly normal, we all had them then and we all still get them. It sounds aweful, but you will be examined and interviewed until the day you leave the RAF. I'm sure we all see you in blue or green soon!

Monkey88