Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > African Aviation
Reload this Page >

Coastal Aviation Tanzania

Wikiposts
Search
African Aviation Regional issues that affect the numerous pilots who work in this area of the world.

Search this Thread

Old 17th Feb 2005, 19:35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHINK ABOUT COASTAL AIRLINE IN DAR TANZANIA?
Old 18th Feb 2005, 08:20

Sent a PM with your questions.
Old 20th Feb 2005, 06:52

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i worked for coastal..PM me for details

Last edited by flyhardmo; 20th Feb 2005 at 07:03.
Old 20th Feb 2005, 07:24

COASTAL AIR

They operate into Mwanza occasionally don't they ?. I remember two lunatics from Zim who used to work there and they loved doing the Zanzibar run ... I can think of worse places to be than DAR flying gap year girls around !.
Old 20th Feb 2005, 21:23

Hi

Yes I know Coastal Travels, one of the most successful commuter companies in Tanzania, I know several of their pilot's including their Chief Pilot Capt Aziz.

What else you want to know ?

Zenj
Old 21st Feb 2005, 06:40

INFO

Thank you for your Rply Zenj.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante
Old 21st Feb 2005, 13:49

pm's are for loosers

oh send me a pm..send me a pm...send me a pm..

why do u fellows presumably men,cant be man enough to talk about this so called "most sucessful commuter companies in Tanzania" in the open,to help another illegal mzungu pilot to get a job in this country....bitter huh? thats wht truth tastes like.

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot
Old 21st Feb 2005, 13:59

come on 406
you know what the situation is like. If i had to post everything about coastal half the things i would say about some of the people there would be illegal in 90% of the world. Otherwise Type out your name and tell us all about your good mates at ATC and what you think of em
the guy wants info i gave him the truth.
Old 21st Feb 2005, 17:00

Thank you to everybody

I would like to say thank you to everbody that helped me on having info about Costal.
My question was non intended to create any conflict between you guys , but just info to help a pilot with a family like me that needs to know more about the job that has been offered.
I have been a bush pilot in Africa ,single without worry with the expetion of my self,but now I need to move very carefully.
I hope that you guys understand my situation.
Thank you
Riccardo Volante
Old 21st Feb 2005, 17:08

I'm also in the process of applying to Costal....it is a bit frustrating to know that there are pitfalls out there that are only being pm'd....moving to a new employer is risky enough without feeling that I'm staggering around in the dark...with elephant traps dug ahead of me...
Without being too explicit maybe some of you could at least offer a few hints as to any hiccups associated with the company...
thanks guys....
Old 21st Feb 2005, 17:39

for flyhardmo

Well, I will work for bread and water but need not to p.m you for info. Wat is the catch for me to extort information about this "most succesful" airline from you? I see this forum as a discussion focus group, with intelligent and exceptional individuals. Please shed some light about coastal so that we can all learn.
Old 21st Feb 2005, 17:39

Darn! Thought it was about ribs....
Old 21st Feb 2005, 19:30

Devil

406rubani, come'on dude. It is the economy of our industry that does that. local airlines all over the World will always look for cheaper pilots and a lot of wazungus have the licence and are ready to take the job for less, just to try something else and add a valuable experience to their licenses. they always leave in the end, and leave the seats available to locals, but darn the operators, they'll always look for the cheap young ones.

I agree with FlyhardMo, he could post openly here. There are things you cannot always post, unless you have left the company in very very bad terms. Look at me: I have left the Greek in the worst conditions, and still, although I don't hide my feelings towards him, I have never criticized his company or the job there on this forum. Even advised guys in need of hours to go take it.

It's ethical Bwana.

On the other end, it is our duty on this forum to give advices and as much infos as possible to other ndugu pilots who need them. One's experience, good or bad, is always good for others.
Sasa mzee, hatuna shida hapa. Kazi tuu, kama kawaida.

Mo! what's up bud? Hope you're logging those hours. Where too next? Have you tried Zimex? Best salaams, chris
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 09:58

For 406pilot

Coastal (at least 5 years ago) was a company manged by a swedish woman with no idea of aviation at all, she has the position just because she is white. The italian owner, well the italian owner seems to be brought up in the better mafia traditions and he acts like it.

For me it was 7 days a week standby 500us a month including housing. That meant 1,5 months work to earn back the money paid to Mr Mw. from the DCA to get my TZ licence. I was paid in time every month but still felt happy to hold the money in my hands.

Everyday you hear that you only cost money (with 4 to 6 flights a day i earned my salary back in 2 days i guess)and a bad pilot (i never had 1 scratch on my plane), this was said to you by the swedish woman with no idea of flying. In the same months when i left 4 other pilots left just because the situation was unbearable. but this was all 5 yrs ago.

The positive; the local employees were all very friendly and helpfull, so is cpt Aziz a friendly and competent chief pilot. The country is beautifull and was the best flying i did so far.

It is shame that Tanzanian operators (excluded Northern Air) seem to think that this is the correct way to run a company.

kwa heri to all.
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 12:06

spoken like a man

Now thats the kind of reaction i was looking for..hats off to u capt.hamna sheeda....

by the way 5 years might seem like a long time but things dont change much in this part of the world...i.e same **** different day bwana

go ahead mo' and chris if ur gonna say something say it over here or forever hold ur silence boys(i was gonna say men-but only one guy is man enought to say it in the forum)

Nasty as it may seem to riccardo we're all friends and we know each other well so fear not of any conflict but i do encourage the boys to stand up and speak the truth so that more people wont face the music

keep it up there

no more 406pilot

ps:mo'dont u think my identity is pretty darn obvious to all? after all i do have a huge personality
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 15:29

Angel

406 you will never change!
I agree with you and have the same opinion regarding those companies in TZ (except Northern Air) but it is difficult to bash too much on them. After dealing with the management and the low pay of Coastal, or Air Excel, we still had a very positive experience, adding hours like crazy and flying in an amazing country and building a very good experience (it's not in France or Illinois that one would hit a giraffe on takeoff!!).
I respect Mo's decision to give advices to Flying Riccardo by pm though.

LOL - chris
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 17:05

ps:mo'dont u think my identity is pretty darn obvious to all? after all i do have a huge personality
and a hugh jazz bwana

I still work in this country and the aviation here is so full of ****e that it always comes back and i can't be bothered with crap, actually happy where i am.
the same lady described above is still at the Helm. Everyone else is quite pleasant to work with and the flying is good. I left on fairly good terms but they stillsay things like your are a ****ty pilot from someone with a PPL. Fortunately there are people in the other companies who hire you based on how you fly.

Chris i moved to greener pastures. Having good fun in the 404 doing beat ups at sero. Twotter is next. How are u doin.

Riccardo there is no problem with 406. I know him well. he likes a wind up. i'll just shove some alcahol and meat down his throat next time i see him
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 17:31

Hi,

The heading here is referred as Coastal Airlines, it's not an airline but a charter company as we call it here in Tz or in some places you can call it a commuter company.

Yes it is successful in a sense that It's one of the leading paymasters in Dar ( Arusha ... not aware but other companies seem to be better in Northern Circuit than Coastal ) in pilot salaries.

It has better pay then Precision Air and Air Tanzania , the two only airlines in Tanzania, it has several ex-airline pilot's who are very experienced and have turned down offers from those airlines to go and command ATR-42's and B737.

Now what else can I comment here as far as a Pilot is concerned, if the lady who does not know aviation run's it , do we care ? as long as the pay is nicer and better than places where the guys who run the air companies are having masters in aviation management but think pilot's are as same as anybody else in the company and end up creating a lousy place for pilot's and get even happier if pilot's decide to leave the company.

They could be some problems like any other place, there could be also some funny pay for those who have just come out of a flying school, I'm not aware of that but I do not rule out that in any company here in this part of Africa.

We know a lot of guys who have come here with 200 hours and were ready to fly even without a pay, for the sake of getting flying hours, but in reality if you were in the same situation and there were no choices what will you do ?

I stand to be corrected

Zenj

Last edited by Zenj; 22nd Feb 2005 at 17:49.
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 18:21

What about the belgium pilot (A's boyfriend), is he still acting like a chief-pilot overthere. Does he still own his plane?
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 19:33

So wats so secretive anyway?

He he wenzangu,
Is it the little cat is out of the bag or call a spade a spade and not a big ass wooden spoon? Coastal Charters /Airlines, watever it is seems to be doing wat anyother will do for rookies. Pay them a nickel and work their asses off like mules,****y management etc
. The thing is let us not be secretive about this staff,lets help each other out. Am heading to Kenya , anyone with info about ALS or Blue Bird Aviation pse give me aheads up. Nitashukuru
The first crate of tusker and a rack of murura is on me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.