Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

QANTAS 744 Incident SIN-FRA 9/3/06

Wikiposts
Search
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

QANTAS 744 Incident SIN-FRA 9/3/06

Search this Thread

Old 14th Mar 2006, 13:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down QANTAS 744 Incident SIN-FRA 9/3/06

Apparently a Qantas -400 suffered a tyre failure during the take-off roll at Singapore on the 9th MAR. Cabin crew noticed the vibration & loud "bang" prior to rotation. 15mins after the event the cabin crew managed to notify the cockpit crew. S/O dispatched to the offending area. No further follow-up action sought from the Skipper. Aircarft continues to Frankfurt. Half way into flight, hydraulic leak detected. Aircraft lands with blown tyre. Damage to Port Leading, Trailing edge and aircraft fueslage. One 3m gash(As big as 2 Fridges)to the fueslage with some ribs missing. Aircraft was swiftly moved to a remote bay. Just wondering, was this well handled?
Old 14th Mar 2006, 13:42

Thumbs down Ho Hum

booze+boredom=silly post.
'night.

Last edited by Crossbleed; 14th Mar 2006 at 22:15.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 18:27

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down

Alpha Strike

Why did you post this? It is an event that every airline that flies long range heavy aircraft suffers from time to time. It did not take 15 mins for the cabin crew to communicate with the flight deck. The Tech crew heard the event and got the appropriate "tire pressure" EICAS message. All other indications were normal so they elected to proceed to destination. Mid flight (6 hours later) there was a loss of some hydraulic fluid from #4 system which was switched off to conserve remaining fluid. #4 System was switched on prior to approach into Frankfurt so the approach and landing were made with all systems operational. Significant damage was found to fairings aft of the wing on the right hand side and to Hydraulic pipes. The damage to the leading edge wing filet was caused by stairs driven by contract staff in Frankfurt. No fuselage skin areas were penetrated by the tyre fragments - ie there were no pressurisation problems. Lufthansa ground engineers did a great job repairing the aircraft and it is now back in service.

PS Your reporting has about the same amount of research as Steve Creedy from the Australian (don't take that as a compliment).

Last edited by Going Boeing; 15th Mar 2006 at 04:41.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 20:53

With only the usual, straight forward symptoms of a single tire failure and no other indications of a problem (eg airframe vibration), would you choose to dump 100 tons of fuel, or land overweight?

The aircraft always gets towed to a remote gate in Frankfurt. They don't leave a 747 parked at the terminal all day - anywhere in the world!
Old 14th Mar 2006, 22:01

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Just wondering, was this well handled?
Sounds like "Yes" to me!!
Old 14th Mar 2006, 22:42

ALPHA STRIKE

Gotta be a journo on a fishing expedition...
Old 14th Mar 2006, 23:18

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
has about the same amount of research as Steve Creedy from the Australian
That's a bit harsh: Steve is normally pretty good. As for Alpha Strike...
Old 14th Mar 2006, 23:49

Exclamation routine as it gets

why post such dribble yes it was handled in a professional manner from the tech crew, cabin crew, and maint staff as we would all expect so some things are better left unsaid .be aware of who reads this forumn cheers
Old 15th Mar 2006, 01:23

Soon they will be able to divert to their new maintenance facility in central china where a 5 yuan a month worker will fit a 'near new' retread, and apply some 'hundred mile an hour' tape to the busted fairings while whistling strains of I still call Australia home comrade!

Now thats world's best practice for ya!
Old 15th Mar 2006, 03:36

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elroy - Priceless mate, best laugh I've had all day
Old 15th Mar 2006, 04:34

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Howdy all, I don't like Monday "morning quarterbacks" however lets look at this

loud bang, vibration and report from cabin crew.

Eicas msg "tire press sys" ( or similar ) the indicator for that wheel would have showed a pressure very close to zero as opposed to blank if the guage had failed.

I think I would have spoken to ATC regarding a RWY inspection, then dumped Fuel and come on back. Seemed little doubt what had occured and you never know what other damage this caused.

We had a very similar scenario on the 777 sim only about 1 year ago.

cheers.
Old 15th Mar 2006, 05:39

Cool

We had a very similar scenario on the 777 sim only about 1 year ago
Umm, you blew a tyre in the sim? Sorry, couldn't resist.

So, are you guys upset because it was reported here? Or is it the standard of reporting?

If it's the former, I think you're getting a bit precious boys

Everyone else gets a caning on here, why not QF?
Old 15th Mar 2006, 07:15

The aircraft arrived in Sydney today, and is now in the process of having the temp repairs, permanantly repaired. It will receive donor fairings and support structure from VH-EBU in Avalon. The temp repair of the fibreglass fairings with large sheets of ALCLAD with external stiffeners, looked quite out of place, however sturdy for the journey home. The damage was quite extensive, with replacement body landing gear doors required before it departed Frankfurt, as well as a TE flap torque tube and the hydraulic tubes already mentioned. The BLG strut mounted door fitted is ex VH-EBU also.
It would interesting to know if any drag penalties were imposed for the flights home due to the ALCLAD stiffening angles in the airstream?
Old 15th Mar 2006, 08:01

It seems to me as a frequent QF passenger (and don't DARE call me slf) that this thread is entirely legitimate. Indeed it is part of why PPRUNE is here. Wiith that same perspective and on the basis of the above posts, I would have preferred a return. There are enough examples of serious damage associated woth blown tyres to warrant prudence. If you don't know, find out asap.
Old 15th Mar 2006, 09:34

Received 170 Likes on 87 Posts
All the armchair experts at it again. Hindsight...what a wonder toy to play with!
Have a good hard think now, and put yourself in the position of the crew. Well you can't can you, because none of us were there!
There are arguments for returning, and arguments for continuing! Flightcrew deal with these scenarios on a daily basis.
I'm sure there was a lot of pondering going on over that first hour or so...and probably throughout the remainder of the flight.
As professionals, we'll all try our best!! But that's obviously not good enough for some!
Old 15th Mar 2006, 11:40

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Silverado

No fuel penalties were applied and fuel burn was slightly less consumed than on the flight plan.
Old 15th Mar 2006, 16:28
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Hmmm. Let me see. Aircraft goes shudder, wheel goes bang. Cabin crew report it. Crew request a check of the runway and rubber found but no other debris (or runway checked and no debris found....it doesn't matter either way). Check all other indications. Normal. One tire shows flat. No adverse vibration through airframe, no visible signs of damage after inspection by crew. All other system diagnostics show normal. No fuel leaks or hydraulic leaks evident by the instrumentation.

Option 1: Continue on with diversion airfield at KL, BKK, Calcutta, Bombay, etc, etc (essentially every hour or so all the way to FRA) or dump 100 plus tonne of fuel and come back to find 'yep, you blew a tire'- something we knew already.

Gotta say that without some indication (not just EICAS but other reports of fluid leaks, obvious physical damage, aiframe vibration, etc) that all is not right with the world, then I'm probably going to keep going- comfortable with the fact that I have a LOT of options along the way.

Just another day at the office.

Hbomb, threads are only 'legitimate' in cases like this if they are accurate and sensible. The original comments were not accurate and yours are certainly not sensible!
Old 15th Mar 2006, 20:45

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aw c'mon Keg, you've got to admit that the skipper would've been better off making a PA and getting a show of hands for and against continuing.
Old 16th Mar 2006, 00:52
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Angel

Absolutely Clarrie. To be honest, I'm horrified that it didn't happen. The real problem I guess is with Boeing. They need to add a Non normal checklist for 'tire failure' and include in it 'consult with passengers as to whether to continue or dump fuel and return'.
Old 16th Mar 2006, 01:30

A show of hands Capt!!!! I think a secret ballot would be the more democratic way to resolve the situation. CSM to act as returns officer, pettitions for recount to go thru sub comity (door 4 galley) and a 2/3 majority required in a majority of a/c zones required for motion to carry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.