Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

WORLD AVIATION MUSEUMS - Mod post 16/05

Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

WORLD AVIATION MUSEUMS - Mod post 16/05

Search this Thread

Old 5th Feb 2006, 14:07
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up WORLD AVIATION MUSEUMS - Mod post 16/05

Worldwide Aviation Museums

Just what it says guys and gals.

The question of museums often crops up and sometimes there is a mass of information, sometimes not. The fact of the matter is that there are some wonderful museums all over the world and all with a tale to tell of their charges. Many PPRuNer’s travel the world and it is clear that they like to visit good aviation museums and in the process take some pictures.

This then is the plan. We are looking for the fabulous pictures that abound inside these museums. We hope that own ‘local’ PPRuNer’s can get their museum on the PPRuNe map so that others all over the world can see what they otherwise may not see. Thus giving all aviators and enthusiasts the opportunity to see what is within of the finest aviation museums as well as the more obscure regions of the world.

This thread will be a ‘sticky’ thread and will deal ONLY in museums with aircraft - of vintage, WW1 and WW2 and, of course any aeroplanes. NO competitions, no polls – just pictures with titles to say what they are and any special notes that go with them.

The way it will work is simple. Each thread posted under the WAM heading will have its own sub heading, such as RAF HENDON MUSEUM or YEOVILTON FAA MUSEUM. No aircraft from one museum can be added to another they need to remain ‘pure’ and true to the museum concerned. Duplicate museums are banned. If you have pictures of a museum already showing you can add your own pictures. The mods will have full control on content and quality so don’t be surprised if a picture disappears.

All pictures, and I do mean all, should be presented at one size of 800x400 pixels. Larger sizes will go off page and we will have to remove them OR get you to re-size them, too small and they will look out place.

As far as copyright is concerned they will remain your property and we will accept your copyright on the picture but only in small print. No URL’s or links will be allowed to any other website or personal business. By naming the museum we are giving them space and Danny, therefore PPRuNe, is happy to do that. We will, however, ensure that that gesture will not be abused.

PPP
Old 16th Feb 2006, 10:01

About three years ago I wanted to post a parcel in Bangkok. The nearest post office to where I was staying was in a road called Lat Phrao.

Just before the post office in a courtyard with the usual Honda motorbikes and delapidated stalls I found this defunct coffee shop ! :-

Curtiss C-46 Commando of Thai Air
Old 21st Feb 2006, 10:31
Cool Mod

CAVANAUGH FLIGHT MUSEUM - ADDISON/DALLAS

Here are some shots of only a few of the aircraft at this museum. What makes this a striking place is the absolute quality of the exhibits. Most of which fly on scheduled display days.

Old 21st Feb 2006, 17:57
Cool Mod

Yeah Yeah OK. I put them on photobucket and made them 800x600 which doesn't fit their re-size plan so.....like the Camel it is slightly over - it's resize system is probably a bit out.

The B25 WAS 800x600 but how it got back to that I don't know ..................but still!!!!!

I'll remove the thread because I did do it too quickly. Just trying to please you understand.
Old 21st Feb 2006, 19:23

test

MUSEUM OF FLIGHT - EAST FORTUNE, SCOTLAND

Messerschmitt Me163 Komet in the main display hall.

Beech E18.S

Prototype Scottish Aviation Bulldog

PPRuNe Pop and World Record beating Canberra cockpit (flown by Roland Beamont)

BAe Jetstream 31 and Scottish built Druine Turbulent

PPRuNe Pop and Sheila Scott's Round the World Piper Comanche 'Myth Too'

HS Buccaneer S2

Two fine examples from the 'olden days' - PPRuNe Pop and the Avro Vulcan

Gloster Meteor NF14

HS Harrier GR1

BAC Lightning F2A

The best of friends ?? RAF and RN

Last edited by PPRuNe Pop; 20th Dec 2014 at 11:43. Reason: Spelling
Old 21st Feb 2006, 21:09
Cool Mod

Now I will have to dig out some PPR's posing.

Good day that was. Especially as, on behalf of PPRuNe, I presented the museum with 6 TSR2 prints signed by 'Bee' Beamont to be sold to make a bit of cash.

PPP
Old 21st Feb 2006, 23:09
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 244 Likes on 162 Posts
PPRuNe Pop, that Me109 has a strange engine - it looks like a Griffin engine! The Me109 DB engine was mounted "upside-down", so that the exhausts were at the base of the cowling rather than the top, as most British & American aircraft were. Is it a hybrid / replica / mock-up for cinema?
Do you have any details about the aircraft you have pics of?
Thanks
SD
Edit - answering my own question it must be a Hispano Buchon!

Last edited by Saab Dastard; 21st Feb 2006 at 23:29.
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 06:35

Saab

You got it !!

The Cavanaugh Flight Museum's Me-109 was built in Germany in 1943 and shipped to Spain that same year as part of an agreement for the licensed production of Me-l09s there. Hispano Aviación, under obligation to supply the Spanish Air Force with fighters after the war, was unable to secure any Daimler-Benz DB 605 engines and instead fitted these planes with a British Rolls-Royce Merlin. Designated the HA-1112, this aircraft served in Spain until 1967. The Me-109 is painted in the personal colors of General Adolf Galland, one of Germany's most famous World War II aces. This aircraft has appeared in a number of films including “Memphis Belle”, “The Battle of Britain”, the H.B.O. film “The Tuskegee Airmen” and the British T.V. series “Piece of Cake”.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 02:39

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Found this Caproni at the Boeing Museum in Seattle. Great place with wonderful planes and heritage artifacts but this just blew my mind. The plaque claims this is the earliest fighter known and it is presented un-renovated, just as found.

Last edited by ChrisVJ; 14th Mar 2006 at 02:49.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 06:59
Cool Mod

Chris,

Surely you didn't take ONE picture did you?

Where are the rest?

This thread is about museums and all the aircraft they contain. If you have some more please post them in your thread. We would all like to see them

Rgds

PPP
Old 16th Mar 2006, 07:05

Fantasy of Flight, Hangar office entrance. Just love this Art Deco stuff.

Kermit Weekes likes to collect engines, they might come in handy. This is just a sample:

The old Sunderland is a bit tacky but this inspection platform was interesting.

Trimotor

Boeing Museum, Seattle. One of my favourites.
Corncob 28Cyl Radial. Beautiful cut away demo

Curtis. Planes old and New here.

The have the Gossamer Albatros. The Flyer of the man powered aircraft and we have a long way to go if we ever get there.

Last edited by ChrisVJ; 16th Mar 2006 at 07:16.
Old 16th Mar 2006, 07:48
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 275 Likes on 153 Posts
Chris, the Learfan was private venture by Bill Lear after he sold the Learjet programme to Gates. It was going to be built (whether entirely or in part I don't recall) in Belfast a la de Lorean wuth UK Government funding, but was stymied by Bill Lear's death in about 1979. Good looking aireyplane!
Old 16th Mar 2006, 17:24

I think I read somewhere his wife was trying to continue the operation, guess it ended up as another financial sink hole.
Old 16th Mar 2006, 18:05

Location: the dark side of the moon . . . & I'm going back real soon
PP Radar,

Being pedantic, wasn't the Buccaneer built by Blackburn?
Seem to remember the ASI was a horizontal tape a la vauxhall viva speedometer which cheered up a mate who worked for them in Luton when I pointed out that as the Bucc was designed in the 50's & the Viva in the 60's technically the viva used aerospace technology
Old 16th May 2006, 07:11
Cool Mod

When I first started this forum, I had no idea that it would get as good as it is now. Everyone has shown immense interest in it, and your contributions to it have been truly impressive. You can step back and feel proud of that. Thank you very much from ALL of us at PPRuNe HQ.

So, I also came up with the idea of a thread for World Museums and all the 'treasures' they hold, I thought we would get a massive response but sadly we haven't. I wonder now if there is a reason for that. If there is we would certainly like to hear about it. But for sure there are many museums we haven't even heard of! And for sure there is someone living 'there' who can give us more pleasure if we can see within.

As you can see already in this thread, there are fabulous aeroplanes in the museums we have seen so far but it would be a joy to us all if we can get more pics from the hundreds of museums in the four corners of the world.

How about it! Let's get the digitals out and get more pics into the thread. We even have a post to tell you how to do that. And btw. 800 x 600 is great but not more. 640 x 480 is a bit small.

Thanks very much from me and Evileyes.

PPP
Old 16th May 2006, 07:58
aceatco, retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Er, cough, how many photos is reasonable per museum?
Old 16th May 2006, 09:13
Cool Mod

We don't have a limit St... but obviously we would like the contributions to be selective - a dozen or so per museum would be acceptable but if there are special pics then go right ahead and post.

Are you thinking what I am thinking

PPP
Old 16th May 2006, 10:44
Cool Mod

Great my friend. Really nice - can't wait for the rest. Hairyplane would love that Storch.

Just one point ('cos someone will ask) can you name them please.

Thanks again S.

PPP
Old 16th May 2006, 10:48

I say V ATCO could you name them please?

(Excuse me TD&H)

Edit: Now whad I say, whaaaad I say?
Old 16th May 2006, 11:17
aceatco, retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Er, erm, er, I didn't make a note of the names at the time, thinking I could pick up a guide, and didn't, or couldn't. Can't remember which now.

I'll do some homework . . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.