Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Canada
Reload this Page >

AC in HNL, 767

Wikiposts
Search
Canada The great white north. A BIG country with few people and LOTS of aviation.

AC in HNL, 767

Search this Thread

Old 4th Jan 2006, 23:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC in HNL, 767

Guessing 767-300? Good job by all though

Calgary lawyer's luck tested on flight
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * Sarah McGinnis, Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Three days after being appointed as a Queen's Counsel, a prominent Calgary lawyer was on a plane when one of its engines failed.

Shortly after 1 a.m. Tuesday, Gerald Chipeur and his 16-year-old daughter Lauren sleepily settled into their seats for a flight from Honolulu to Sydney, Australia.

Minutes after takeoff, they heard a large bang.

"My daughter said, 'That doesn't sound great. We're losing power,' " said the lawyer, known for fighting to protect human rights and religious freedoms by taking cases to the Supreme Court of Canada.

"I reassured her and said there was no problem . . . but she was right."

The Boeing 767 grew eerily quiet. The pilot asked service staff to come to the cockpit.

Moments later, he informed the 142 passengers they would be returning to Hawaii because of an engine malfunction.

Chipeur looked out the window at the twinkling lights of Honolulu below. He knew a runway was minutes away, but still felt uneasy.

"When we landed, a tire blew on one side of the large airplane because it was too heavy with all that fuel," Chipeur said.

Air Canada confirmed Flight 045 was rerouted because one of its two engines wasn't working properly.

"The aircraft landed safely. At no time were passengers in any danger," said Air Canada spokeswoman Angela Mah.

A replacement was sent to take the passengers to Sydney, 12 hours after their original flight took off, she said.

Despite Air Canada's assurances, Chipeur said things could have proved much worse if the captain and crew hadn't acted swiftly. "A disaster was averted here."

Chipeur said he'll have a lot more faith in his daughter's intuition from now on.

[email protected]
Old 5th Jan 2006, 16:24

Re: AC in HNL, 767

Originally Posted by armada
Chipeur said things could have proved much worse if the captain and crew hadn't acted swiftly. "A disaster was averted here."
Oh, good grief
Still he is a lawyer after all.
Old 7th Jan 2006, 02:00

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

...likely massive class-action suit to repace sh*tty drawers to follow....lead counsel?...guess who..
Old 7th Jan 2006, 14:24

Uhmmm, joking aside, any word as to what happened to the failed engine?
Old 8th Jan 2006, 21:50

Had a similar experience about 2 years ago on an early morning flying from YYZ to DCA in a CRJ. Moments after takeoff, a loud bang. Flight was only about 30% full and most other passengers were dozing when I looked behind me. Besides myself, only the flight attendant seemed a little agitated. Couple of minutes later, we return to Pearson. The landing gear didn't come up, and the doors underneath slammed into them causing the bang. Landed just fine. Decided not to get on the next flight out and went back home instead, cancelling the meeting.
Old 9th Jan 2006, 00:34

All that being said AC still has possibly the safest record of any NA Airline and possibly the world.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:05

http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics/
United States & Canada
Airline.......................... Rate__Events___ No. Flights
Air Canada .........................0.63__ 3__ 4.75 Million
Aloha Airlines ......................0.49__ 1__ 1.34 Million
American Airlines/Eagle..........0.59__10__ 17.0 Million
Continental Airlines/Express... 0.63__ 5__ 8.00 Million
Delta Air Lines/Connection.... 0.30__ 6___ 20.0 Million
Northwest Airlines/Airlink........0.43__ 4__ 9.20 Million
United Airlines/Express.......... 0.50__ 9__18.0 Million
USAirways/Express (USAir).... 0.56__ 8__ 55.5 Million
Alaska Airlines..................... 0.74__ 3__ 4.05 Million
Midwest Express Airlines........ 3.85__ 1__ 0.26 Million
Trans World Airlines/Express... 0.74__ 6__ 8.10 Million
ValuJet/AirTran ....................5.88__ 1__ 0.17 Million
Old 13th Jan 2006, 16:10

It is interesting to not that the lowest accident rates go to the airlines that pay the most. An almost linear relationship according to these numbers.
So you pay peanuts, it would appear that you get monkeys.
Old 14th Jan 2006, 00:34

Careful buddy...I seem to remember taking that shyyte when a certain airline in Canada was still around....lower pay was lower class...I seem to think that it was also connected to ability...Can you explain to the rest of us how it is that the major airline in Canada uses those same pilots to train their own? Or how it is that a large number have Command and Management positions around the world at well established and respected Airlines?
Old 16th Jan 2006, 20:38

I just said that the statistics seem to indicate it, not that I believe it. Of course people leave for better jobs overseas if they get sick of being paid like monkeys, but it does not mean that ability is proportional to the size of the wallet.
But nobody would deny that a company that is focused on saving money at the expense of safety is asking for trouble, and those same companies probably pay quite badly too. (Losing their best in the process and keeping the worst who maybe can't get into anywhere elese)