Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

"standard Speeds"

Search this Thread

Old 1st Dec 2005, 10:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"standard Speeds"

Question 2 - following on from my previous post for ATC

Please explain the term as used by ATC - Standard Speed
is it (a) 250 kt below FL100, (b) the standard speed that your company would use above FL100 and 250kt below FL100 (consider this - slowed by previous sector to min clean FL240, and on had over to the following sector you report "FL190, speed 210kt" you are then told by the controller "standard speed" - can we speed up or maintain 210kt due sequencing and then 250 below FL100?)
or (c) some answer that i have not thought about but the answer - to be provided by you will be, inspiring, a land mark item, a defining momment in aviation to remembered throughout time , cast in stone.........er sorry , got a bit to monty python there!
Old 1st Dec 2005, 10:40

Usually the phrase 'standard speeds' is used running in on the STAR to say LAM, or BIG etc (going into LHR).
As far as i'm aware, it refers to the Speed Limit Points on the STAR plate. e.g. 250kts at LAM 12d or 3 mins before LAM whichever sooner.
HTH
Old 1st Dec 2005, 21:17

brownstar

Never heard that one before.....maybe some-one's using non-standard R/T.
Any controller know if that's written down anywhere?...I am aware that certain speeds are required as part of published intermediate approach procedures, but in area control we would never use the phrase "standard speed[s]".
Old 4th Dec 2005, 14:04

As an Area controller - Oh yes we do!!

In the London TMA it means hit the SLPs at the standard speed, not the 320kts that you have been thrown to us without coordination. (standing by for incoming!!)

If we are busy, we unfortunately do not alway have time to specify a specific speed if there is no holding, but there are a few a/c arriving from different points for the same airfield.

We do try to give you a speed, i.e. maintian high speed or 220ts if we can and it's obvious but it's not always possible and we do not want to stitch up the approach controller.

If it is obvious that you will get in with no delay, we will keep your speed up, similarly if you are going to hold, we will reduce your speed when we can.

It may not be down in the book as "standard phraseology" but it is less of a mouthful than it could be. Another way of saying it would be "standard speed by the Speed Limit Point"; however if a pilot does not report to us that he is handed over either with a high speed instruction or any other speed instruction/limitation from the previous sector, he or she would be expected to fly the standard, published speeds.

Just the same as unless otherwise instructed, you WILL hold at the appropriate facility... pilots should not sound so surprised when running into LAM or BIG etc that they will have to hold. the majority of pilots are good and will remind you as they approach the hold that they are still at a previous given speed, but I have had some pilots sound almost surprised that they will hold, even when told the delay is 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately I am not just talking about non UK pilots either.

Last edited by ukatco_535; 4th Dec 2005 at 14:22.
Old 4th Dec 2005, 15:50

Slightly off subject, but we turboprops hold at 160Kts. When we are vectored out of the hold controllers never give a speed. I've learned to speed up without being asked, but acceleration is hardly startling and some controllers seem to be puzzled by the almost stationary return.javascript:smilie('')
Most controllers don't seem to be aware on the other hand how quickly some turboprops can slow down and go down (and usually both).
Old 4th Dec 2005, 16:48

Hey Max,

Even 20 years ago when I was just starting out on radar, a lot of time was spent teaching just how flexible turbo-props were on descent and close to the airfield. That teaching was reinforced by a flock of t-p drivers who wanted to prove a point by keeping their speeds up and eating up the jet ahead unless some pointed speed control was given.

As for this topic, I'll always opt for a clear speed. Whenever there's a chance for misinterpretation, it'll be done as per Murphy's Law.
Old 4th Dec 2005, 21:35

ukatco_535

Sorry I'm behind the times, still trying to get my inexperienced head round the need to ignore all that boring bookwork stuff.......so just to clarify...at the UK's premier airport with pilots from a wide diversity of language and ethnic origins, some of whom have flown from points on the other side of the planet, it is quite acceptable to use a version of R/T phraseology that not only differs from ICAO but even from our own UK standard.
Should I make it up as I go along or are there any good films I can watch?
This is an example of a "nothing" transmission...it doesn't mean anything.......or worse....it could mean different things to different people.
Old 5th Dec 2005, 08:35

"a Nothing transmission"??

It amplifies the Approach plates, which state standard speeds and when they are to be achieved by.

Regardless of nationality, if the pilot can't interpret the approach plates, he should not be flying.

BTW I am NOT a Heathrow controller, but was using thier hold for an example, the same is true for any other hold at any airport with instrument approach procedures.

Giving a specific speed in en route controlling is, I agree, the way it should be done, however it works slightly differently if you are not using speed for separation, which is the gist of this thread.

The phrase is only usually used if questioned by the pilots, which they should not really be doing anyways as they should follow standard procedures unless instructed otherwise.

These standard procedures include standard routes, standard speeds, standard rates of descent, standard holds etc.

Short of flying the aircraft for them what are we supposed to do?? There are 2 of them to interpret the charts, the workload, despite any pilots protestation otherwise, is not so huge as to make this an impossible task.

The only time (in my opinion; having flown professionally for 12 years), that the wokload is especially 'high' is in an emergency; and in that circumstance i would offer every assistance, including giving specific speeds etc. Even then unless it is a catastrophic failure such as total engine or decompression, the workload is not that high.
Old 5th Dec 2005, 11:20

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
As a pilot here is what "standard speed" means to me:

Company speed for the aircraft above FL100, and 250kts below FL100. It also means that any speed limit point shown on the chart must be met.

And its a phrase used all over the world, not just in UK airspace. Although we tend to treat it with a bit more caution in Greece!
Old 5th Dec 2005, 11:38

I think you'll find that the UK MATS Part 1 (CAP 493) does not have "standard speed" in the phraseology appendix but "resume normal speed". As this is listed then I'd expect pilots to also understand "normal speed" if they request if there's "any speed for us".

The one I always avoid for any inbound is "no ATC speed restriction" as that can get you into so much trouble...
Old 5th Dec 2005, 12:40

max performance, isnt holding speed for a turboprop 170?
Old 5th Dec 2005, 13:04
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

in an emergency; and in that circumstance i would offer every assistance, including giving specific speeds etc
- while we are always grateful, Ukatco, for 'every assistance', I don't think many of us would like to be 'given' a speed then!!

BTW - I cannot see that anyone has answered brownstar's b)?
Old 5th Dec 2005, 13:58

If we are given a descent, say to be level 150 at Tiger, there are three ways to do it if a bit short of distance.

1. Speed up and dive the height off.
2. Extend the speedbrake and stay at your speed or slow down.
3. Speed up and extend the speedbrake.

Extending the speedbrake for extended periods is uncomfortable for the pax, so at this point I would usually aske if we are speed restricted. If not, I will speed up and keep it comfortable while fitting the requirements of the controller. If I am speed restricted, I will use the speedbrake.

This isn't a problem if you have lots of distance, and usually the controllers don't expect you to go down and slow down at the same time. However, when it is busy we often don't quite get the distance we would like. Lots of the controllers are helpful by saying "make the restriction at Tiger and then you can slow down". sometimes "standard speeds" helps as you know what to plan for after the descent. I have used the speedbrake before and slowed to 250 knots at the SLP just before being asked to fly 300 knots. Asking first makes it more comfortable and efficient and helps your situational awareness.

055166k - Non standard phraseology is a problem for things like clearances and defined things like take off etc. There is not a defined message for all eventualities, especially emergencies. If there is no defined message for speed restictions, then "standard speed" is plain english for what is required. Its not the same sort of "non standard" as we hear across the world which can be dangerous.
Old 5th Dec 2005, 19:52

I have used the speedbrake before and slowed to 250 knots at the SLP just before being asked to fly 300 knots. Asking first makes it more comfortable and efficient and helps your situational awareness.
Area controllers are not permitted to tell you to disregard the SLP's in the London TMA unless they obtain prior permission or have you on a faster speed for their own separation (usually streaming). So when given initial descent asking "any speed for us" will not give you a response to keep the speed up all the way in.

BOAC - to answer b) then in Brownstars example being told standard speeds you can accelerate to whatever speed you want and then slow back down to 250kts at either FL100/SLP whichever is appropriate.
Old 5th Dec 2005, 20:29

Sorry but in the Middle East (UAE), if I said to 6 different pilots to fly "Standard Speeds", I would get 6 different interpretations of what standard speed was, along with probably at least 3 "say again"s , and maybe a couple of period of just stunned silence.

If I want to make sure a pilot knows to fly the STAR speeds , I will say "comply with STAR speeds". And if I am able to allow him to stay fast, I will say "cancel STAR speeds". If to a pilot flying an old Russian crate between Baghdad and Dubai, I will maybe say "Comply with STAR speed restrictions from (and say the point the restriction applies)".

If I say standard speeds, as I said a lot of the guys we deal with would take that to be the usual profile speed for the aircraft they are flying. Not good when App need 250Kts, and the guy is flying the profile speed for an MD11.
Old 7th Dec 2005, 14:31

Ukatco-535

You have given me some food for thought. Your comment of aircraft being handed to you possibly without speed co ordination from the previous controller, I have seen ( fairly infrequently, i have to add ). From the flying side of things when you are very regularly flying specific STAR's and SID's we generally take speed control to mean 2 things. On a SID " no ATC speed" to us means - there are lots of aircraft we would like to handle and the quicker you can get out of our sector the easier that will be.
On the STAR's however, when we ask you about speed, it is to aid the flow of all inbounds to the airport, as, from previous experience, the speeds for arrival ,for instance across London can vary from, bend the wings off to try not to stall clean.
When we ask about speed we are trying to help ( well at least i am, i might be a bit nieve about others intentions) anyway.

Can anyone who is reading this please re read the origional question and see if they can answer point b)
Old 7th Dec 2005, 18:04

Brownstar,

I can honestly say there is not a day goes by that I do not see A/C entering my sector above 300 kts - which should be coordinated. However that is an issue that will hopefully be resolved when we get to Swanwick, and the commuinication between the 2 sets of controllers improves.

As for the SIDs, unless we need you to be able to execute a sharp turn at some point (for instance on a LAM departure from EGKK) we will take off the speed restriction 'cos it gets rid of you quicker(!) - unless of course there is an A340 ahead.

With STARS, we do realise that you are trying to help, and I have had many a helpful pilot remind me they are doing 290kts or whatever when I am busy (thanks, it helps).

If it is obvious to me that if you 'bend the wings off' you will get in ahead of other traffic, I will instruct you to fly high speed 'at your discretion' - ('discretion' used as I do not know the individual company SOPs etc).

If it is not obvious what the approach controllers stream will be, but the A/C are not holding, then I will quite often say 'fly standard speeds'.

If it is obvious you will hold; I will slow you down as soon as I can, subject other traffic.
Old 7th Dec 2005, 20:08

Wink

Brownstar

With regards to point b. If you had been speeded by the previous sector for streaming, then came to me and I said standard speeds to you, you would be quite within your rights as far as I am concerned to speed up again or do whatever you wanted until you hit any speed limit points.

If I still needed you on a speed for separation, i would instruct you that accordingly.

Any new clearance cancels a previous clearance unless restrictions are reiterated within the framework of the new clearance (does that make sense? - just been shafted on radar; brain frazzled!).

If you had come across at say 270kts for separation and I wanted to maintain that but to get you to fly standard or normal speed by the SLP I would say maintain 270kts, reduce to 250kts at the SLP. (for example)

If I did not reiterate the maintain 270kts - you could rightly assume that the speed was all yours until the SLP.

Hope this drivel makes sense - I am off to find a dark room

Old 7th Dec 2005, 21:52

uk_atco 535/brownstar

Manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1 [CAP 493] appendix E......Communications Technique and Standard Phraseology:
The correct phrase is "Resume Normal Speed".
Please don't confuse groundspeed readout with Indicated airspeed, rough guide is add 2% per thousand feet to get True airspeed, and don't forget the wind.......my buddies and I in Area Control will never give you traffic above the agreed speed without co-ordination.

Brownstar....the phrase "standard speed" is not an officially recognised instruction. To address your point b]....
Resume Normal speed means exactly that; you may fly any speed which your normal operation requires for that particular cicumstance, it means that there is no artificial speed restriction imposed by ATC for traffic separation or marshalling [sequencing] other than those published for various portions of the flight e.g. Speed Limit Point on a STAR, or speed limit specified in a clearance e.g. in a SID.
Old 8th Dec 2005, 11:13

O55166K

There is also a phrase in MATS part 1 - one of the very first pieces of text which states (and I am paraphrasing here) "Nothing in this manual shall preclude an ATCO from using his or her judgement" etc etc etc.

We are talking about one piece of phraseology here - how many unstandard phrases do you use in a day?

"resume standard speed" is widely used in TC, whether that is correct phraseology or not is by the by, it's a fact. It is used, it works, end of.

As for the difference between the different types of speed - I take your point, but will amplify it further. You have IAS (Indicated), RAS (Rectified), TAS (True) and finally GS (Ground Speed).

Below 300kts due to the compressibility of air, you can miss out one of the steps in the calculation of how to get from IAS to GS.

As you can see, I do know the difference between IAS and GS.

To say -

my buddies and I in Area Control will never give you traffic above the agreed speed without co-ordination.
is quite frankly laughable. Now I do not want this to progress into a slanging match because I know that we do things that hack you off, and being in the same building as each other will hopefully make things better as we can have better 2 way dialogues.

Hand on heart, every day I am working I either get aircraft doing greater than 300kts - as reported by the pilot, or as a coordinator I have one of my controllers moan about it. (And as I am more than aware that you know, pilots will report Mach number or IAS NOT Ground speed)

Normally, it does not matter too much, as long as we get the A/C early enough. What does P*** us off is when it is patently obvious that we are holding and it still happens. I appreciate that our holds are background traffic to you, but you can still see the A/C going round the hold. It's all about appreciation of what is going on outside of a controllers particular task (the bigger picture).

As I said, I do not want to start a slanging match as we could swap posts about what each unit does wrong for months - I am just putting it down because of your quote above.

99 times out of 100 we will not phone to complain, because frankly, if we are holding, we are invariably busy - therefore we have bigger fish to fry. Maybe if we did it would become apparent to you how often it actually happens.

Also, even if you do not give a pilot a specific speed above 300kts to fly, saying to him or her "maintain high speed" is, in essence, breaking the coordination because it is an instruction and although it gives the pilot a chance to choose the speed, it may well still break the 300kt rule!!

Perhaps that is our problem at both ends - we do not phone and complain enough. I do not believe there is enough understanding of the problems faced by either sets of controllers. Again, this may be redressed a bit when we move down.

It would be nice if when we do move down, the management were to get the watches that work together and give them some money to go down the pub and chat to each other and get to know each others problems etc (work problems wise - I am no social worker) - It would be a hell of a lot more effective and infinitely cheaper than doing TRM which is a lot of management speak and buzz words and is basically common sense and an insult!! (In my opinion). But obviously that is not gonna happen.

Brownstar-

055166Ks explanation regarding your point b] is correct and is the same as mine, but probably put in a more lucid and understandable way (my head was spinning at the time!). Hopefully between the 2 answers, you have found what you were looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.