Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Eyesight...

Old 20th Jan 2001, 21:15
oliverpollard

Question Eyesight...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel like I am stuck in a position I dont know how to deal with and would appreciate some advice.
I have always wanted to be a pilot. There is nothing else I want to do. Whilst presenting doing a law degree at Uni of Birmingham, as a back up it is clear I am not happy.
I have 11 GCSE at A/B grade and 3 A levels at A grade (Geography/Law/English). I also have other qualifications. However these results do not shadow the fact my eyesight is below that specified by BA. I need some sort of advice about how to achieve my aim including and the next step I need to take.
I am going to a aviation lecture on wednesday in london that i attend yearly. However, my situation is quite different and the lecture does not ever make it clear what I should do. Does anyone know what I should be doing? Cheers.

Old 21st Jan 2001, 10:46
DoWeHaveLiftOff?

Speedbird,
Can you please copy me in the details for the eyesight, if you don't mind buddy.

OliverPollard
Can you please e-mail me the details of the annual meeting that you mentioned on wednesday, please. Hope to see you there.

Thanks buddies and I owe you one.
DWHLO?

Old 21st Jan 2001, 15:42
AffirmBrest

Oliver - other airlines offer sponsorships other than BA: Aer Lingus, BM, A2K and many others often mentioned on this forum. BA have their own limits which are more stringent than the CAA/JAA for selection purposes, most other airlines just need to see a Class 1 medical and the're happy.

Don't despair! Try the Medical & Health forum for more info, if you haven't yet.

PS Is it me, or eyesight concerns one of the most common queries on PPRuNe? Nothing to do with the fact that we all have computers and interent access, maybe?

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height WITH CAUTION...

Old 22nd Jan 2001, 02:39
Airbus_319

Oliver
Don't worry too much. The BA medical requirements are stricter than the CAA's for the sole reason that they are sponsoring you. when i joined the cadet scheme, unaided visual requirements were 6/24 in each eye separately (I think these might have changed slightly now). the interesting thing is however, that when i started my course, there were no fewer than 3 people who did not meet the visual criteria set out by BA. The key seems to be that, as was the case for 2 of the 3, that if you already hold a Class 1 medical, and your eyesight has somewhat stabilised (i.e: very unlikely to get anywhere near the +/- 5 D required for a renewal (this rule might have changed as well)).
My recommendation is to contact BA medical services at Gatwick, and see what they say about the visual requirements. If it comes to the worse, don't forget there are eye exercises you can try which really do improve your eyesight.

And don't forget, if you believe you can do it, it will happen. Good luck.

Old 22nd Feb 2001, 17:12
long final

Arrow Eyesight - Help

I wondered if anyone could set me straight on the class I medical eyesight rerquirements - I think I fall outside of them, but am not sure why!

What I do know - I have astigmatism with a max +2.5 & -3.0 dioptres. 6/9+ individual and 6/6+ binocular. I think the range is +/-2.0 for a class I for astigmatism and +/-5.0 for myopia.

What I Dont know - is this the case, does it exclude me totally from my class I, if so then why is there a difference between the two ( considering both can be adequatly corrected for with glasses ), do I have any other options. (ie non uk/jaa requirements)

All advice greatfully recieved - there's a dream about to be shattered here!!

Old 22nd Feb 2001, 17:32
Spoonbill

Thumbs up

Long Final - I suggest you take up the problem thus:
1) With a good optomotrist (optician as they usd to be known), explain that you need corrected vision to the requirements of a CAA class one medical, and they should be able to sort you out.
then,
2) Go and see your local AME, most of them are fighting to understand JAR requirements themselves, and the issue of a class one with regard to eyesight seems to be open to interpratation.
The AME may well refer your case to the CAA medical branch, and obviously they have the power to overide the AME's decision either way.
That said, as an ATCO, I've always found them very helpful and approachable, and they are prepare to work alongside you rather than against you.
Good Luck.

Old 22nd Feb 2001, 18:57
dcb

long final

If you are unsure then I would suggest contacting the CAA Optometrist direct (I think his name is Adrian Chorley). There is not a problem doing this and he is very helpful.

If you speak to him and send him a copy of your prescription he will be able to give you an answer.

When I was unsure I did this but unfortunatley I was outside the limits. Luckily I discovered that in OZ (I am originally from 'Down Under') the +/-3 or 5 limits etc are not applied, so I have since done the eyesight test for an OZ Class 1 and passed with an opthalmologist and passed. Heres hoping I get through the medical on Tuesday!!!

DCB

[This message has been edited by dcb (edited 22 February 2001).]

Old 22nd Feb 2001, 23:00
nosy

Old 22nd Feb 2001, 23:24
patlolo

Congratulations !

how do u get this one ?

Old 3rd Apr 2001, 20:21
weeladdy

Angry CAA and Eyesight

I'm well p*ssed off.
-5.5 each eye so I'd fail the CAA Class 1 medical.

I can never achieve my goal of a UK CPL/IR

Why??? Why???? WHY?????????????????????????

Apparently JAA have issued medical standards for CPL/ATPL, that include any eyesight deviation fully correctable by glasses.

Will the CAA adopt them? Will they heck.They have already made clear they won't.

It's OK of course for (example) US pilots to command their 744's into LHR with eyesight problems that fail the CAA standards.

If the CAA is so worried about this issue and refuse to fall into line with the JAA why don't they ban these pilots? Argument: It's a serious safety hazard.

It's total hypocrisy.

(I have a US Class 1 Medical - and it only cost me 50 quid and a local FAA doctor did it...)

Old 13th Apr 2001, 20:24
Borg32

Post Eyesight...

As an absolute beginner I have a million and one questions. I hope some kind souls can give me a bit of guidance.

I wear glasses (slight prob long sight) I have been told this can be corrected easily with laser surgery.

Questions:

1. is "perfect vision" required for ATPL?
2. if yes - do I inform authorties etc. of laser surgery to correct vision?
3. I have seen pilots wearing spectacles (or have I !!)
4. What is the average retirement age of a pilot?

I,ll start with that little lot..hope you can help

Cheers all

Old 13th Apr 2001, 20:35
Pielander

Wink

Hi Borg

You'll be glad to know that you don't need perfect eyesight for a class 1 medical (far from it). That is a myth. Until recently, the limit for uncorrected eyesight was 6/24. You would then need glasses to bring your standard back up to 6/6, but this would not be a problem. I believe that 6/24 is roughly equivalent to being able to read a car number plate from 12 metres. For the latest regulations, which are a bit more complicated, have a look at the medical forum. There are some good posts and links on this subject.

On retirement age, I believe that BA retire their pilots at 50, while 55 is a more common age. I'm not sure if there is an upper limit, but the intervals between medicals become ludicously short after the age of about 60.

Hope this helps.

Pie

Old 13th Apr 2001, 20:53
Borg32

Thanks PIE, here comes the serious questions.

Background - I'm 32 years old (a very short career if I retire at 50!!)
have done O.K. in business (so am in a position to pay 35-45k for training without the need to work alongside training)

Left school at 16..(no qualifications)worked very hard in property but always wanted to be a pilot...

GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT, DO I STAND A CAT IN HELLS CHANCE?

I know I can qualify (a friend of mine has already gained ATPL) with hard work, but, would anbody employ a 30 odd year old with no experience and no formal qualifications

Old 13th Apr 2001, 21:06
Pielander

Borg

I don't want to make any rash decisions on your behalf, so I would suggest that you look at another couple of threads that have been running recenyly. One of them is entitled "How old are you". I have a feeling there are a lot of people in your situation, and the general concensus seems to be that it's fine to start in your early 30's, especially if you have the means to do a full modular JAA course with all the trimmings. If you could afford a type rating, even better, because if you go to the airlines fully qualified, then they don't have to worry about paying back their investment in you. The very worst case scenario, as far as I can see, is that you could end up instructing PPL students. Certainly don't give up though. First job is to get a class 1 medical though. I'd do that ASAP, like by booking it on Tuesday AM.

If you started a new thread along the lines of "32 - Too old to start ATPL?" then I think you would probably get all the answers you needed. (I'm not really the best person to ask, cos I haven't been there yet).

Pie

Old 13th Apr 2001, 21:06
Blindside

Borg

Use the search facility ( in top right of screen ).

The am I too old?? question is a fairly regular one, and there are lots of thoughts on the subject that you can search through at you leisure.

regards

------------------
Half man, Half jalfrezi.

Old 13th Apr 2001, 21:14
Borg32

Final question,

How much would an "average pilot" i.e NOT working for BA expect to earn?

Is it steady employment or short term contracts (summer months I presume)?

Old 13th Apr 2001, 21:26
Pielander

Try searching the "terms and endearment" forum. Most wannabes would happily fly for food and a free tent at this stage

Pie

Old 13th Apr 2001, 23:56
Lucifer

I believe that although you are able to fly with glasses (but not for the RAF when you join), laser surgery is not acceptable, and may result in no medical. Please correct if I am wrong.

Old 14th Apr 2001, 00:43
AffirmBrest

So BA pilots aren't average then?

I know a couple who definitely are

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Old 14th Apr 2001, 02:34
Speedbird 2946

Talking

Lucifer,

The CAA regards Laser Surgery as acceptable so long as you stick by their strict guidelines which include withdrawal of medical for 12 months after surgery and extensive tests and reports. So there is a possibility that you could fail the medical but people please remember that Laser surgery does NOT work for everyone (although the vast majority) and in extreme cases can lead to permanent, incorrectable damage. Be wary of surgery JUST to try and get a Class 1!

Hope this helps,

SB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.