Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Training, hours building and first job prospects in America

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Training, hours building and first job prospects in America

Search this Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2007, 05:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paulo

Ciao

If you are going to apply for a combined course with Bristow I would do it soon as the next one available is May 2009!!!! That is of course if you want to hours build in the US.. Dunno about just the JAA courses..

SL
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 23:56

As far as helicopter services in Houston, i live here in Houston and would recommend some of the other options. the prices are the same all around the Houston area for the same training. robin had a stroke a while back and is not running the school anymore. i hate to sound like i am bad mouthing them, but since robin has left, its went downhill from the people I've talked too. we've also had a few ppl transfer from there to the school i went to.
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 01:43

If you have the option, why not try an M1 Visa to start, (not sure if it applies for commercial or only private), use that time up, then come on your J1. That was you have that much more time on your J1 for hour building.
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 09:06

FAA Conversion

All,

Being a UK PPL(H), I am planning on going to the states 1, to do some hour building and 2, to take the CPL and maybe IR course.

I have a question about licensing. I am aware that the process for getting a FAA licence may take a while, but how long is the FAA licence valid for, if I start the process now and then goto the States in Feburary will I have 'wasted' 5 months, or are the FAA tickets valid for longer periods.

Many Thanks.

Mike
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 09:34

FAA

I've just been through conversion of my JAA CPL to FAA CPL, the process is not unduly complicated, but the securuty and registration process does take some time. I'd allow a couple of months. Once done your checkride, similar to an LPC is valid for 24 months.

If you've not done the JAA groundschool for CPL, the study for FAA may take you a bit of time too.

I am not exactly sure what you want to do but the answers to all your questions are in FAR/AIM, it's sort of like a more user friendly version of Lasors, with a load more info besides.

You can download it here:-

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUC...FQbUlAodWiKjIQ

or buy it from any of the usual pilots shops, make sure you get the 2008 version which is just out.

You can do your FAA PPL and CPL in the UK, but obviously it'll be a lot less in the states.

Meanwhile I'm off to Phoenix on 9th Nov to do my IR
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 13:24

Training USA

Hi,
I'm doing my PPL in Ireland at the moment and i'm about half way through it. I want to do my CPL in the states and i'm thinking now of finishing my PPL over there as well!
Do the hours count?
What are there exams like for the PPL as I've already done mine?
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Guy sick of irish weather cancelling lessons
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 21:40
RotorHead

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Faa/jaa (h)

Evening Folks..

I was planning on going out to florida in about a years time to do my JAR PPL (H) with bristow but ive been told to go to ocean helicopters and do the FAA course with them as it allows flying in the UK and Ireland. I know the FAA is cheaper and the JAR requires about 13 hrs i think every 2 years to stay active and is a bit dearer but i would feel more comfortable doing the JAR course and medical as i live in northern ireland. I would love to push for the CPL down the line aswel if all went well. I know this has probably been discussed on here a million times and i appoligise. Any advice from you fellow pilots on here greatly appriecated, cheers
Old 4th Oct 2007, 07:51

Hi Davy

My opinion only..(there are many much more experienced opinions on here!!)

Look I don't know a whole lot except for what I have read on here and in LASORS (YAWN)!!!!

Ocean would not have told you that the FAA license allows you to fly in the UK without including the other bits.. UKFT are the only site I know that uses hugely ambiguous explainations to fool you...

FAA License is obviously convertible to JAA but you have loads of extra exams to sit and in my figurings you may as well do them initially save revving up again once you have chilled into a qualification.. (Bit like winning a long race only to be told you have only completed half!!! keep running).. Anyway, LASORS section C page 8 will help..

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...detail&id=1591

I think you have to do 100hrs on a PPL(H) following all of the criteria in Section C to then get a "no further work required" JAA PPL(H) except to do a rating test if type of aircraft is different..

Don't quote me on this but definately check LASORS out.. bad read but easy reference book...

HTH & Good Luck..

SL
Old 4th Oct 2007, 08:44

You can fly with any ICAO PPL in the UK or Ireland. But if you want a JAA PPL(H) just do it in Europe, you won't save money by doing a FAA first and then convert. By the way if you want good weather, you can go to Spain as well, Sloane have a nice outfit on Mallorca!

KISS Keep it simple s....
Old 4th Oct 2007, 16:40
RotorHead

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheers for the replys fellas. wat about doing the JAR with bristow in florida?? Anyone done that??
Old 28th Nov 2007, 22:03

Schools in Florida

Hey all,

Im back now from my holidays in Florida where I managed to squeeze in visits to a couple of Helicopter schools while I travelled round there.

I dont want to openly post my opinions of each school on the forum because no doubt there will be plenty of reponses telling me how wrong I am about some of them.

Anyway feel free to pm me and i'll send on what I have. I am glad I visited the schools before I head over for my training. Also its good as an aspiring PPLer to be able to help anyone in my position!
Old 4th Dec 2007, 19:47

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
your ppl

howya, so ya want to go to usa to finish up, I am an FAA CFI in Ireland witha base in Florida. pm me
Old 8th Dec 2007, 02:43

where can i fly with an faa ticket?

hi guys,

I am a UK citizen and am thinking of pursuing helicopter flight training with a view to gaining my cpl[h].

This has been my dream for over a decade now but it is only now that after a lot of saving I may be in a position to afford the training cost without having to resort to a crippling bank loan. I reckon that in the summer I will have about £40k / $80k in liquid funds. I would be looking to train in the US but would appreciate some advice regarding the FAA licence.

First and foremost, if I were to pursue the FAA ticket, will I be able to find employment once my student visa expires? Would I have to formally emigrate, get a green card etc. or are there other alternatives?

Secondly, what other countries would allow me to work using the FAA licence without the need for further training and/or licence conversion?

Please note, I don't have anything against the JAA licence per se, its just that I can't justify the cost to myself and believe that with the funds I have available I should be able to obtain the FAA CPL and have a fair amount of capital left to travel around to pursue CFI work and to fund my basic living costs until I have earned enough hours for a reasonably well paid flying job.
I have also had enough of our fair isle and would jump at the chance to see more of the world as I pursue a flying career.

Lastly, if I have to emigrate formally, would it be easier to do so as a student pilot [i.e. no job as yet] or by using my current professional status?

I look forward to your replies.
Best Regards,

Phil.
Old 11th Dec 2007, 15:04

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Bristow - Titusville

Hi Guys and Girls,

Firstly forgive me if this has been coverd in another thread of which I am yet to find...

Im looking at taking the JAA CPL course in Bristow Titusville Florida, just looking for any opinions, experiences, hints, tips or information that may be useful about the school and the area and life out there as a student...

Thanks in advance....
Old 11th Dec 2007, 15:09

If you were allowed to do a 3 letter search you would find plenty posts on it!

The flying school used to be called HAI Florida. Try searching for Florida in rotorheads, or helicopter adventures.

Any useful information? Well from past posts I believe there is an 18 month waiting list to get a plcae on their CPL course.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 09:56

Bristow - HAI

Good luck with the wait. I called them a few days ago and was informed that they are fully booked till March 2009.
Old 27th Dec 2007, 15:02

hi,
i am looking for a good academy out there in US... if whatever you are talking about is actualy practised in the academy you just stated then please reply....
Old 27th Dec 2007, 16:49

HAI

Give them a call if you have any doubts about waiting times. I have called them twice just to make double sure. That was a few weeks ago so the situation may have gotten worse.
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 21:27

Question Help Needed!

hey there...

I will take u up on your offer... I'm hoping to do do my training for my commercial pilots license in America... As the case stands I'm overwhelmed by the sheer volume of pilot training schools there available.

I'm also hoping to finance the entire thing myself so I would appreciate your guidance on reputed training school schools that I could check out..

Ive heard that the weather in Texas is generally good so the time taken to accumulate flying hours is considerably shorter.... ??

I look forward to hearing from u at the earliest...

Highflier!
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 23:34

Question How is the market for US CFI's in other places?

There is a big demand here and I was wondering how it was in other countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.