Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

SEPECAT Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 29th Mar 2005, 21:28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEPECAT Jaguar

Seeing as recently we've had the threads about the Phantom, Vulcan, Bucc and SHAR,

And also given it's forthcoming retirement

Have many of you got fond memories/anecdotes of your time on the Mighty Pussycat?

Old 30th Mar 2005, 03:37

Yes.
Old 30th Mar 2005, 06:57

No

Due to the heavy use of these forums we would prefer it if you are going to post something then please make sure it is worthwhile and at least 15 characters long.
Old 30th Mar 2005, 07:52

Location: JMC Mining Ship, Red Dwarf. 3 million years from earth.
The Jag is always given such bad press so can I ask why is the Jaguar said to be such a bad aircraft?

L J
Old 30th Mar 2005, 08:06

Power v Drag
Lift v Weight

Designed as a trainer and stretched (capability wise) into a combat aircraft. However, with the Jag in its current guise, you get a lot of bang for your buck and the Design Authority implications are much simpler to deal with.

Mind you, they’ve put so much new kit in the cockpit, I’m surprised you can see out of the front these days.

Like most jets, started off with limited capability and by the time it came to the end of its life it was/is quite good at what it does.

MOG
Old 30th Mar 2005, 15:55

Still, gotta smile about the fact that in that horrible sandy s***hole, the Jags need 200nm to reach a refuelling height of FL185

Makes the Mighty F3 seem like a rocket
Old 30th Mar 2005, 16:37

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont listen to them.. there all jealous

Single seat or two or more... you decide.

Bad press at the start when more than a few were lost in "Nasties" but there capability has been improved and you now get a lot of bang for your buck.

Wonderful aircraft.

200NM to reach a refuel bracket at FL185... hmmmmm
Old 30th Mar 2005, 19:02

I'matightbastard

I remember when I was a kid, watching one land on the new M55 just outside Blackpool. They turned her around, bombed her up and off she went.

TO roll started at a beautiful concrete bridge that spanned the road. When you drove in from Preston, it was immediately after that bridge that you got your first glimpse of the tower and, for me at least, home. I always thought that they should have given that bridge the name I always used "Jaguar Bridge".

Does anyone have any photos of that occasion? I have one somewhere.

...look what I found

Old 30th Mar 2005, 19:17

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

There was a video I saw of a Jag doing a grass strip take off, one day in the crewroom. Full hairdrier power engaged and Jag sets off and bumps over a taxiway onto the grass on the other side.

Comment from Jag mate with an aversion to all things Air Tragic.

"Sort that b***er out then ATC"!!
Old 30th Mar 2005, 19:49
rej

no doubt the feds would love the opportunity of giving out a speeding ticket with one of their so called safety cameras as one rotates off one of our Mways!!
Old 30th Mar 2005, 19:51

A few pictures from 3 weeks ago at Coltishall....

Old 30th Mar 2005, 21:38

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Talking

When the prissy little wimpy thing pitched up at Bruggen they couldn't even leave it out in the rain!

Replace the Toom with a single seat non radar equipped underpowered pussy cat in North West Europe and give it the same interdiction and strike role, yeah right!
Old 30th Mar 2005, 21:41

Fine shot of the 41 sqn jet shedding it's LP Turbine!

Old 31st Mar 2005, 07:28

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You Brits may have had access to lovely goodies like the 'toom etc., but for a while the IAF swore by the Jag as its only hope for DPS. 'tis a beautiful plane, IMO, and good enough for HAL to be making almost 40 more in the coming years. these are the types with the full night flying gear plus Litening plus MFD aaaahhh...

Some Links that you might not have seen....

25 years of the Jag in the IAF

As Squadron Leader M (Mike) McMahon (Air Marshal now retired , from the post of VCAS) remembers,

"Before we started flying training, we did a Sea Survival Course at Plymouth. In February, water temperatures were teeth chattering. The 'actual' training took place in the English Channel, not a friendly swimming pool! I remember that the shock of hitting the chilly water was so great that I opened my mouth and promptly swallowed half the Channel! My fingers were numb for days thereafter".

All the chilled Indian pilots shared this opinion.
The Conversion training that followed at Lossiemouth was excellent. Unlike Russia where ground training was always overly detailed, the RAF trained them on a need to know basis and expected the pilots to research further themselves.
and then there is this

have fun and thanks for the Jag....
Old 31st Mar 2005, 07:45
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,602 Likes on 734 Posts
Why does the Jag have 2 engines?
if one fails, the other is there to carry it to the scene of the accident...

What do you do in a Jag if you lose an engine?
Shut down the second to reduce the drag...

Also remember the incident report concerning damage to the nosewheel due to a rabbit strike on take-off.
And the immediate response from a F4 base querying if the rabbit had impacted the front or rear of the strut.....
Old 31st Mar 2005, 09:31

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres one in the wild........
Old 31st Mar 2005, 09:54
REF

I posted a few Jaguar pictures on the Aviation History and Nostalgia forum from a couple weeks ago, no way nere up to the standard of NineLima's pictures.

All taken at RAF Coltishall.

These are just the Jag pictures -

The last 2 pictures I took here of the diamond nine formation I thought was quite impressive as there was 11 Jaguars (I think it was 11 anyway!!).

I kind of figured it was never going to happen again, seeing the nine jaguars in the air at the same time that is!!

Richard.
Old 31st Mar 2005, 10:15

Saw a Jag in the paper recently....................... oh yes that's right, on a float in the Gay Pride march! Fitting I thought.........

Head below parapet, back to the wall
Old 31st Mar 2005, 14:48

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I cannot believe it

It just seems like yesterday , actually more than 30 years ago, that I first flew the Jaguar solo. I could not understand why the jet was weaving from side to side as I flew down the Great Glen at 550 kts, until a boffin told me that with just a centreline tank I was close to departing. Always a problem at 250 feet!

Bluntie

OCU 74 77
6 Sqn 77- 80
SLOPs Colt 83 - 86

ps: as you can see I am still alive, but do not deserve to be!
Old 31st Mar 2005, 15:52

Like i said on the disbandment thread, IMO, still one of the best damn looking jets ever made (looking from the front).

But we still haven't heard alot of 'good stories' from the Jag....don't tell me there isn't any?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.