Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > South Asia and the Far East
Reload this Page >

China Airlines/China Airlines F/O, (update)-Merged Twice!.

Wikiposts
Search
South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

China Airlines/China Airlines F/O, (update)-Merged Twice!.

Search this Thread

Old 25th Sep 2003, 16:56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China Airlines (update)

For anyone looking for a place to work, I thought you might like some updated information on China Airlines. I was at a fleet meeting yesterday and saw a few people in various departments who encouraged me to make it known that China Airlines needs pilots primarily 744 First Officers and Cruise Captains. They'll need A330 people in 2004 when deliveries start.

Now before some of my friends and best critics jump up and down <bg>, I don't win a toaster or a blender for anybody that comes here!!! Many of us like CAL and accept it and obviously there are some unhappy people too. Just like any airline. But I think that most of us here would like good people to come here to Taipei and start with CAL. If you get people here that will make it better,it will get better.

This is all public information really,but CAL is getting 3 more airplanes in 2003, (doing this from memory),9 in 2004, 8 in 2005, and 2 in 2006. Only 2 747F (rope starts) are being phased out shortly. There are a combination of 747-400 Freighters, 747-400 Pax airplanes, 12 A330s starting June,2004,one A340 and a 737-800 next month.

They are interviewing a number of Singapore guys in the next month and then interviews begin again with others that I have talked to. It appears they are booking interviews about 2-3 months out. The process seems to take 4 days plus travel time. The physical is extensive compared to other countries and companies.

The next development is that apparently a hurdle has been removed to allow people to upgrade to Captain/Command based on performance and proficiency rather than some fixed period of time. I remember there were a few people who didn't want to start as F/O or Cruise Captain. But even if you do and a lot of my friends did, there is no hurdle or restriction to upgrading now once you and CAL think you are ready. To me,this is a major step and improvement.

I saw from the website of www.china-airlines.com that CAL has one of the world's youngest fleets of 5.9 years and that will go lower when the 2 old Freighters are parked.

China may also change their basing policy in the near future. It is not official and being actively discussed. Right now, only Captains are based outside of Taiwan. I have noticed that the pay is better than many places in the world.It is not back to where it was,but most airlines aren't either. Also in income tax is lower than many places in the world. One thing I found interesting is that there is a housing allowance and transportation costs can be zero. They pick one up in a small bus and then take you to the major international airport from the headquarters in downtown Taipei. Of course, you could be brave enough to try a motorscooter in TPE but this is a dangerous sport. All I have is a bus card for my own travel.

Anyway, I thought anybody looking for a job might like to know of these developments.

I noted recently that my old Airline in the U.S. continues to lose money at record rates and has continued to furlough pilots. There are over 100 being furloughed in December and there appears to be no end in sight.

JIM
Old 25th Sep 2003, 18:21

Dear Jim,

Thank you. Do you know how long it can take for them to post a reply to an application? I think when there is a sound of silence after an application is made, it feels rather scary.
Old 25th Sep 2003, 21:42

I would not worry too much. They are booked ahead for a few months and I know there are a lot of Singapore guys interested.

So give it a few weeks or so.
Old 25th Sep 2003, 21:53

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAL

Hi Jim,

As you know couple of agencies down south are looking for 400 FOs for your company, the salary is US $4.400/month, my question is: How far below the poverty line would they be, if they accept this sort of salary in Taipei?????

Looking forward to your reply.......cheers....
Old 25th Sep 2003, 21:55

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the wonderful update.

Regards.
Old 26th Sep 2003, 03:10

74world:

I know you asked this question of Jim, but I'll answer. How far below the poverty level would someone be living in Taipei on USD 4400 per month. I have many good friends and relatives living in Taiwan who only make USD 800 per month. So the answer is it depends on how you want to live. To get a decent apartment in a decent section of Taipei would cost about USD 1000 to USD 1500 per month. I say decent, meaning decent by western standards. Eating could only cost about 100 NTD per meal if you and your spouse could live on street food ( which is quite good and very safe ). You wouldn't need a car so transportation is by taxi, bus, and MRT which is very affordable. Health Insurance is dirt cheap compared to the States.

You could live very well in Taipei for that kind of money. You may not be able to save a whole lot, but it wouldn't be a bad life.

Typhoopilot
Old 26th Sep 2003, 16:42

Typhoopilot answered it quite well and with authority and facts. I have not actually seen the F/O numbers because they just don't post them on the war nor in the Taiwan news. But I don't think your figures are too far off. Cruise Captains make more and Captains make even more.

I should also reiterate that CAL is short of pilots and those people that talk to me (they often seek me out) tell me that they continue to need good good qualified pilots relatively quickly. And by quickly, I mean in the next 6 months which is "quickly" by airline hiring standards.

We just got schedules for October today. This is only my second airline and I am not sued to getting "next month's" schedule this late in the month,but I have learned that the last week of the month is more the world's norm than in my previous life. I have about 88 hours which is my next point.

The salaries that the other gentleman posted are likely for 70 hours which is the minimum pay. Many fleets here are in the 80s and 90s on hours. There is overtime pay, a housing allowance, a per diem for food, transportation which is included at no cost to the pilot, and even a few dollars for Dragon Boat Festival and Chinese New Year. (I wouldn't come here just for the Dragon Boat Pay!)

On the price of meals, $100 NT is almost $3 USD and that will get you through a local restaurant many of which are fine.

My Aussie friends here are good at hunting down bargains and finding good restaurants and I can tell you that about a meal costs you about $2.50 US at the bottom (if you order water) to about $30 USD for a fancy major restaurant. If you drink a couple of beers and eat moderately, it will be about $10-12 USD and that is more common.

I can tell you that my per diem about covers my food for the month and it is paid for over 20 days per month whether working or not.

Another plus to CAL is that I have had the exact 8+ days off per month that I asked for every month and received vacation days when I wanted them. At my previous carrier, it was a crap shoot and seniority ruled ( I was junior and sometimes senior from time to time). Sometimes you won, and sometimes you lost.
I posted most of the changes or proposed changes in the posting yesterday,so very little is changed since yesterday.

I did see some numbers today and CAL does need pilots. So if you want the job, I think any one should apply. Considering the worldwide market today, I'll bet less than 25% of the airlines are hiring and most are furloughing or on the edge of bankruptcy. CAL and a few others are doing most of the hiring.

Oh, and comparing CAL pay to what I saw on another region of the world's thread, CAL is FAR BETTER.

I want to dispel the rumor that we live in mud huts and carry spear guns!

My first choice would be to be at home in Florida on a beach feeding seagulls,but I have to earn money to do that! <bfg>
Old 27th Sep 2003, 02:42

Hi,
Nice to hear details like these about CAL. I applied to CAL about a month back for A300-600 Capt's post but I am yet to hear from them. I am rated and meet their requirements but it seems they don't need pilots for A300-600. Does anyone know whats happening on A300-600?
Old 27th Sep 2003, 09:42

Old 27th Sep 2003, 16:40

Anyone wonder why old Jimbo here is the only one with anything good to say about CAL?

How is it that a guy who has been in CAL for such a short period of time and is in the left seat has such a good understanding of how it is for many of us who have been here much longer?

Jim your doing a great job recruiting for this company but I feel your also not giving the whole picture. Why not hear from someone else on this forum about what it's really like at CAL? How about JOB security? How about management and the crews you'll be working with? How many guys have been fired in the last 18 months? How about the operation or the standard or the hotels or??? How about something other than it's a paycheck in a tough market?

And maybe a FOs perspective would be usefull as this is the position they are most short of and the position they are haveing the most trouble retaining guys.
Old 27th Sep 2003, 18:14

Boxboy 747, you seem to have another perspective on Cal which, I am sure, will be of great interest to many others including myself, so how about it.
Old 29th Sep 2003, 00:45

i know a lot about CAL

anyone interested in CAL, drop me a PM

i will post more about CAL in a few more days.. stay tuned
Old 1st Oct 2003, 18:45

Application

I filled out the marathon application form around 7 months ago... no response. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 00:43

to 1269

If you would tell us some thing about yourself like your hours experience (p1,p2,pic) against aircraft type, some of us might be able to give you some advice about why you were not called for selection, and further advice on how you may be able to improve your appeal to the airlines.
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 01:32

Sure: 10,000 hours / 3500 heavy jet / 1000 heavy jet P1 / JAR-FCL / Currently flying ATR42/72 as TRI..?

Regards
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 15:50

Space Driver and anyone else that has applied:

I would call or write the office with an update. Like any airline hiring office, things change and applications can sit around.

To the facts, CAL gets A330s next year and the "plan" is to transition the AB600 guys to the Aibrus 330. Obviously people that have flown Airbusses would be natural to any airbus products. At least that is what my Aussie former 320 guys tell me.

CAL needs 747-400 people mostly. I think there are only 4 US Operators and that is why there is not a great surplus of people with experience on this airplane with the exception of the Singapore guys ,some of which are currently interviewing. This will go on for a while.

CAL will continue to get 744PAX and 744F airplanes. I just flew the latest new freighter yesterday from ANC to TPE and it is a neat clean airplane. And it does very well at 44,000' in the block!
(yes we were light returning to TPE as is always the case).

But like any airline, there is turnover, retirements, and firings. So CAL will be hiring for a while and mostly in 744s. But there is another 737-800 coming and people do leave. More on that later.

NOW TO THE BOXGUY747

I don't know who you are. To you and the readers, most anything you write will not get my "goat" nor bother me. But I will tell you that most people leave public forums because they get sick of being beat up.

My goal now and has always been is to help anybody who wants to work as a pilot specifically at China Airlines to find a job. I would prefer to have good people at CAL rather than flying with the dregs of aviation. I personally would like to see good people and high quality people come to China.

That doesn't infer that many are not already here like that because they are. Some of the best people in the world do work here and that includes many of the world's major airlines. In fact, the two guys I flew with for the last 5 days were better than my former carrier if we look at averages.

CAL uses a different system than UAL did on the 400. UAL had only one Captain and all type rated First Officers. The flying guy could be next week's "bunkie" as they were called.

At CAL, it is not uncommon to have two Captains, a cruise Captain and some number of F/Os.

Prior to CAL, I had only worked for one employer my entire life. It was not exactly a wonderful model career. (I'll save that for another time). But 21 years to make Captain was hardly the industry/world's average.

United has some labor troubles <bfg> in 2000 and then 9/11 came. The U.S. airline industry was headed downhill since then. I find it interesting also that only two airlines lost employees and airplanes on 9/11 and mine was one of them. In fact, I lost one of my friends on one of the UAL flights on 9/11. It was a sad day attending his funeral. But I digress.

I cite this only because I had no intention to leave my employer five years early had it not been for the above and the bankruptcy. It was one of the biggest decisions I ever made.

That leads to CAL.

Two years ago, I had barely heard of them. 12 months ago was the first time was the first time I had ever ever thought about looking for a job since I was 21. So I wished somebody could have been of assistance in the last year and I hope to be.

This is a good time for people looking for a job. PERIOD!

Now to BOXBOY's apparent complaint to which I will not dodge. That is not my nature.

Do I have good things to say about CAl? Actaully YES. Who knows? I may not survive my first year. I have no idea. But I do know that the people that surround me have been excellent. There is the usual airline "goat rope" where many things don't get communicated and you can't find out WHY something is happening. And YES, the language problem does add to this dillemma.

I have new friends from many countries and I have new friends in other departments at CAL. It's a growing company in an area where of the world that is generally warm,rains sometimes, and has earthquakes.

But right now, there are not many jobs that pay what CAL pays in the world that is growing and not furloughing pilots. And there are other areas of the world that I am GLAD that I don't have to go to simply to find an aviation job. I think I would rather not fly rather than go to some of these places. There are plenty of lower paying jobs in my own country and in fact, I often get job offers. The truth is I am not currently interested.

So for BOXBOY or anybody else, you either accept where the job is or head for a different occupation. Bitching to me (and us) isn't going to solve anything!

Now BOXBOY sounds to this guy that he is NOT very happy, angry that I am a Captain (gee, do I deserve this or should I come back when I get a little more experience???), or that he is a COpilot. It sounds like all three to tell you the truth.

Many of my friends are copilots (and a hell of a lot more gracious than BOXBOY) . I think I remember many eyars as a flight engineer and as a copilot. I think I remember the long raod to being Captain, getting furloughed, getting bumped back to F/E and all the fun things that go with an airline aviation career.

So I am not sure what the big complaint that BOXBOY pontificates over.

So now the most humourous comment is how I have such a "good understanding". Since I have only been at CAL since May 5th (and received one month off without pay during SARs like most of my other CAL friends to save the Company money((it was not voluntary)), I have to agree that I probably have less time than BOXBOY. But at least I am not afraid to put my name on my opinion!

I am not sure what" understanding" BOXBOY wants me to have. The facts are you bring your credentials to the party and someone either hires you or they don't. You either take the job offer or you don't. It's quite simple. No one at CAL is under any compulsion to stay here. I certainly am not. In fact, they just reduced the time of notice to resign to 10 days. I hardly think that anybody has a gun to their head to stay here or anywhere.

I do it because I like it. I like the people and I do like receiving a paycheck. I would like to continue paying a house mortgage and keep my airplane.

And for BOXBOY, if I am doing such a fine job at recruiting, then maybe I should get my own office, some stock options, a secretary, and view of downtown TPE(other than from the crew room) and maybe they'll double my pay. I am surprised that Larry King has not called me for a one hour special some night. Wait, I hear the phone ringing. Could it be him?

So how about job security? Easy answer. There is very little. I can leave CAL on short notice and they can fire or lay off pilot employees on 30 days notice. You keep flying and they keep sending the check. If not then leave and see another line of work or employer. Simple.

How's the hotel? Well, it is your basic 2+ star hotel close to the airline's headquarters. It is in one of most prestigeous areas of town. CAL has an expat crew lounge. I'll see some of you at 6 which is a daily tradition with most of us.

How about the crews and management? Well, when in TPE, I am to the headquarters for a few hours when I have nothing better to do and to check mail. I also get paid. A wonderful rewarding experience. How many have been fired in the last 18 months? Well, I heard some 65 or more. Most because of sim failures and the inability to use CLR/CRM. That's why a lot of expats ARE here. As for the pilots I have flown with since I have been here, there is nobody that I have had a problem with.

I would like to hear ANYBODY's viewpoint here whether they agree or disagree with me. I can only speak for myself.

And IF you are a F/O a CAL, then why aren't you the next candidate for Captain? Don't want it? Can't get it?

Gee, at a meeting last week attended by the Senior VP and 100 of the CAL pilots), they announced there were no restrictions to upgrade except for ability. There is no longer any mandatory wait nor hours.

I have another fleet meeting on the 8th. so maybe I can find out some more information.

But in the meantime, I'll keep doing what I enjoy in a place that has thus far been a nice place to work. I am going out for my daily 5 mile walk around Taipei. It sure beats a lot of places that I COULD be in the world. Time for the afternoon pub crawl and the gathering later tonight.

I hope that this has been as meaningful for you to read as it was for me to write. Maybe some people ought to go get a life.

JIM
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 16:52

Hi Jim,

Please check your Private Messages

Thanks.
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 17:13

Jim Morehead

Well said mate!

Now; can you help me get a job there...?
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 22:31

Dear Jim morhead,
I have sent CVS to all China Airlines..the EAST, the WEST ,the SOUTH..for a F/O position.
However,I believe I have some better chance to apply as a S/O (anything to keep me up there),should I send another set of CVs?

Thank you,

Flyer75

I forgot..I have a full JAA and FAA ATPL(A).2600 multi turbine time(above 5t7).

Cheers

Flyer75
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 22:37

Hi Etops & Jim

Please check your PMs

Thanks!

LR25ec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.