Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Dave Rowat Army Air Corps UK

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 21st Nov 2005, 10:14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WO2 DC Rowat - Army Air Corp
Died on 12th April 1974 flying a Scout in Northern Ireland.
Does anyone have details of what happened ??
Any aproaches to the "officials" results in silence.
Old 21st Nov 2005, 10:43

Think it was a wire-strike but can't be sure. Have you tried the AAC Museum at MW who hold archive details of Army Aviation?
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 13:47

I flew Scouts in the Province until September 1973. Dave was killed in poor weather to the West of Bessbrook when he flew into a hill top and if my memory serves me correctly, the BOI concluded that he was probably distracted while tuning the B47 radio.
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 19:19

RogerK...........I am waiting for a contact at the Belfast Library to get back to me with search results for you query. Will pass them on publicly or privately at your discretion...........Ken
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 19:31

David Rowat

The crash that killed David Rowat was covered by David Marfleet in his book "Wings Like Eagles" which I read a few years ago. An Amazon or Google search should track it down.
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 21:55

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Wings Like Eagles
David Marfleet, Clive Langmead .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...665308-4503911

Synopsis
The true story of a paratroop helicopter pilot whose skill was used to bring hope to people in the high valleys of Irian Jaya through missions such as the rescue of villagers by helicopter during an earthquake. The story is told through two voices: Marfleet himself and an Irian island tribesman.

Availability: usually dispatched within 1 to 2 working days 39 Used & New from £0.01

SS
Old 30th Nov 2005, 12:17

From the Belfast Telegraph, 12 April 1974:-

An Army pilot was killed this morning when a helicopter crashed into a hillside a few miles from Richhill in Co. Armagh. He has been named as Warrant Officer David Christopher Rowat (31), married with two children. His home was at Cove in Hampshire.
Army headquarters at Lisburn said this afternoon that the crash ws thought to be the result of mechanical failure.
The Scout helicopter was on a routine flight from Gough Barracks in Armagh to Aldergrove and there were no passengers.
The helicopter, in its downward plunge, tore a large gap in a tall hedge between two fields and then landed in two sections about a dozen yards apart.
Then pilot was killed instantly and his body remained in one of the sections until the military and police carried out a thorough examination.
It was later taken by ambulance to the Craigavon Area Hospital, Portadown. Mr Lewis Chapman, on whose farm the aircraft crashed, said that about 10 o'clock he heard the crash on on running to the scene he found the pilot was dead.
"There was nothing I could do but return to the house and telephone the police and the hospital," he said.
Police adn military from Armagh went to the scene and investigations started immediately.
Mr Raymond Chapman, a son of Mr Chapman, said the helicopter seemed to be flying normally beforehand but he did not see the actual crash.
Another helicopter flew to the scene shortly after the accident had been reported and a number of other helicopters were apparently assisting in the investigations.

From the Belfast Telegraph, Saturday 13 April 1974:-

Two assesors from England are assisting the Army's Air Corps in their investigation into yesterdays helicopter crash in Co.Armagh in which the pilot was killed.
Today they helped sift through the wreckage in the search for clues but it is believed that a mechanical failure caused the 'copter to plunge into a field near Richhill, just off the main Portadown-Armagh road.
The pilot who died was Warrant Officer David Christopher Rowat (30), who came from Cove in Hampshire. He served with Army Air Corps , and was married with two children.
People near the scene have been interviewed.
The investigation is expected to last a couple of days and if the exact cause is not established by then the wreckage will be taken to England for further examination.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that this info is of some use to you, and once again sorry for the families loss so many years ago.........Ken