Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Air2000 emergency landing after passenger spots hole in wing

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Search this Thread

Old 25th May 2002, 11:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another example of remarkable reporting

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_595256.html?menu=

He told the Daily Mirror fuel tanks were dumped and the pilot told people they were heading back to Orlando because of technical difficulties.

[RING RING] Hello, I'd like to report something which landed in my back yard off an airplane.

[Airport] Is it ice with a blue-ish tinge?

[Caller] No, it's a f*"^&ng big fuel tank !!!"

Old 25th May 2002, 16:28

was that worth putting on pprune now ? it did happen over a week ago so somwhat old news now !

nothing better to post i guess ?
Old 25th May 2002, 16:39
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Let's be picky (just for a change )
From the Ananova link (above):
An Air 2000 spokesman confirmed the story, but said the Boeing 767's 318 passengers and crew were never in danger during the incident last Saturday.
Methinks that the more correct wording is:

An Air 2000 spokesman confirmed the story, but said that, whilst the Boeing 767's 318 passengers and crew were in danger during the incident last Saturday, the flight and cabin crew handled the incident as per their training and ensured that no one came to any harm.

But, of course, that would admit that something had gone wrong and nothing ever goes wrong onany airline
Old 25th May 2002, 17:00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Lndg-gear-up

>was that worth putting on pprune now ? it did happen over a week ago so somwhat old news now !

nothing better to post i guess ?<

Well it sure fooled me, what with the date on the newstory saying it was filed the day of your post i.e. Sat. May 25

So you must be much closer to this incident than us readers. Could you tell us what happened to cause the hole in the wing and the air-turnback?
Old 25th May 2002, 18:09

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR

If you'd taken time to read the date of the report and also looked at the date of The Mirror report, this story only hit the press this morning, and only appeared on the BBC NorthWest local TV news this afternoon.

As it's topical and not previously posted on here, then yes, I consider it worthy of posting.

Old 25th May 2002, 18:23

Talking

160to4- I agree- this is a news item, and in my opinion anyway, one worthy of inclusion here. Sounds like the pax did a good job in alerting the crew then keeping quiet about it so as not to alarm anyone else.

One might say that on the hole, this was an unusual incident

Sorry, couldn't resist

Landing 24R
Old 25th May 2002, 21:03

PAXboy
Good point. But did you really expect an airline with Air 2000's attitude to its workforce to give any credit to the crew?
Hope neither of the pilots had a smoke after sorting out the problem, or weren't spotted by some steward anyway. We all know what happens to Air 2000 pilots who smoke.
Old 25th May 2002, 21:46

And now for what really happened . . .

The aircraft took off from KSFB, and a portion of the tire came apart. It was believed to have gone through a slot in the flaps (as they were obviously still extended). It caused severe damage to the spoiler system on that wing. The passenger in question saw the tire bit come away and alerted the captain, who rightly returned to the airport. The passengers flew out the next day on a subchartered 747 from Air Atlanta and the aircraft was aog at Orlando Sanford for a few days. The spoiler was damaged pretty badly and Boeing sent a new one from Seattle, which was installed and the aircraft left safely, returning to service with Air 2000.

The passengers were never in any real danger, they were just inconvenienced for a while.

You all know better than to listen to journalist rubbish now don't you?

SFly
Old 26th May 2002, 02:51

Well...........I've been wondering why this story didn't appear on Pprune. I've been waiting for it.

One of the main reasons that the passengers were not in danger last Saturday is that the incident happened on Friday.

I was working with the fire rescue crew (on a different job) on the morning after (Saturday).

They said the tire blew on take off, ruptured the wing, aircraft dumped fuel, turned back and made an uneventful landing.

They (the fire crew) stopped it on the runway at Sanford - closing the main runway for a couple of hours. Pax stayed on board - not happy bunnies.

Aircraft was "watched" for a while with heat sensors - high temperatures where noted in the area of the main undercarriage. Big cooling fans were blown at it. Aircraft was eventually moved to the stand, pax unloaded....and some hotels booked.

The same airframe (didn't ask for the reg.) had been on an alert at Sanford the week before. Same crew were on duty for that one, too.
Old 26th May 2002, 07:53

ex-Tanker

Exclamation

More important than the visible damage was probably the fact that a tyre had blown on takeoff.

This brings all sorts of complications with it - in my case (on a MD-80) a popping engine, hydraulic leak and damaged gear door sequence valve, apart from the fact you'd better put it down softly with minus one (or maybe more - you don't know at this stage) tyre.

The other extensive structural damage was only evident after the landing. So depending on whether the crew knew about the tyre burst already or not, the pax input would have been a vital piece of info for trouble shooting and decision making. Good show all.
Old 26th May 2002, 15:08
ammdolly

Hoverman

What we all know is what happens to amm capt that break the rules, maybe ,as has already been discussed elsewhere on this forum, you should get all the facts and not the gossip, and keep your uneducated gossip to your self

Old 26th May 2002, 15:29

If the facts are different from the so-called 'gossip', feel free to correct any errors.
Otherwise
Old 26th May 2002, 19:00

Hang on !!

Am I missing somthing ??
The aircraft was in danger of bursting into flames - so they put heat sensors on it, and BIG cooling fans .....
But leave the pax on board ??????
Old 26th May 2002, 19:46

GTT - the heat sensors were aimed at the flt deck checking for smokers!!

Al joking apart, well done to all - no injuries.

GTT - hope no injuries in yr town after World Cup!! tends to be a hotbed!!
Old 27th May 2002, 03:11

Few Cloudy: Captain was reported to have said to the fire crews that he had absolutely no idea there was a problem. Everything was handling normally, no instrumentation saying anything wrong...only reason they knew was because there was a hole in the wing.

Got T Shirt: Who says that the aircraft was in danger of bursting into flames?? Fire crew and flight deck were in constant communication and both agreed that there was no need to evacuate at the time but they didn't want to take the aircraft to the stand until situation was completely known to all involved.

Would you have prefered that they spray it with foam immediately after touch down - and blow half a dozen escape chutes...when there was no immediate danger??

That seems to be virgin on a media remark. You're not a reporter are you??
Old 27th May 2002, 11:15

GW

Whats all this "blowing slides and covering with foam ? Are you a journalist?

There are actually other ways to get pax off without blowing slides. If you operate on jetways then there is a method you may not be aware off using steps mounted on the back of trucks ! Novel eh!
In 2 hours you should be able to get the pax all off.

I would of thought that from a pax relations point of view this would be better than 2 hours of telling them everythings ok dont worry !!

I suggest you look at the Saudi L1011 fire where the capt was in contact with the ground also !!
Old 27th May 2002, 15:13

It never ceases to amaze me at how expert some are sitting behind a keyboard, presumably with maturity and experience they may learn to comment when in possession of the facts. There is no parallel with the Saudi incident, the airport in question may not have been able to provide steps and the captain just might have considered that Hoverman you need help.
Old 27th May 2002, 15:40

I'm sure worse things have happened on planes.
Old 27th May 2002, 19:40

and now for the facts

1/ The incident happened on Thursday

2/ The tire did not burst or blow on take-off, some tread separated, the tire never did deflate even after the air return and "heavy" landing.

3/ It was not "a hole in the wing" it was a hole in a spolier panel, which I believe (and i'm sure a ground engineer can and will correct me if wrong) is constructed of glass-fibre or similar material

3/pax were not on the aircraft for 2hours after landing. The aircraft taxied onto stand and the pax were off the aircraft and in the terminal within 30mins of the return landing. The big cooling fan, was in fact an Air Conditioning Unit which was used to cool the brakes as a precaution once the aircraft was on stand

4/The RFFS used heat sensors immediately after landing to confirm the cockpit indication that the brakes had not overheated excessivley after the "heavy' Landing.

never let the facts stand in the way of a good rumour!!
Old 27th May 2002, 21:13

Last Minute...you are probably right.

The fire chief that attended the incident - and the FAA inspectors that were alerted on the Saturday morning, about the incident the night before, were wrong.

I was, personally, working with the fire chief and the FAA on the Saturday morning - and was tasked, by the FAA, to inform the two inspectors involved - when they arrived on site - that they had to go directly to Sanford, to attend the 767 that had blown a tire the night before.

I would also think - that to a non aviation person - any hole between what we know as the leading edge and the trailing edge, is a hole in the wing.

The reports were given by a passenger and a fireman. It may be a little unfair to call a Sanford based fireman "a non aviation person", but you have proven yourself to be playing with pedantics.

An air conditioning unit is a "cooling fan"...isn't it??

Last edited by GoneWest; 27th May 2002 at 21:22.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.