Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Questions
Reload this Page >

Do you still enjoy flying?

Wikiposts
Search
Questions If you are a professional pilot or your work involves professional aviation please use this forum for questions. Enthusiasts, please use the 'Spectators Balcony' forum.

Do you still enjoy flying?

Search this Thread

Old 21st Sep 2002, 21:58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you still enjoy flying?

I'm a mere PPL and are curious as to whether ATPLs with many 1000s hours still enjoy flying or does it disolve into just another (well paid) job?

Martin - Bristol, UK
Old 22nd Sep 2002, 20:35

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver

Received 223 Likes on 65 Posts
By co-incidence, today I logged two years in the air (17,520 hours) and yes, I still enjoy going to work. Sure it has its bad points, but the plusses are so enormous that I can't think of another job I'd rather do.
Old 22nd Sep 2002, 21:47

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I did not enjoy flying then I would have even more difficulty putting up with all the ramifications of the job!

The best bit is once the wheels are off the ground!
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 00:55

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

The short answer is YES

After over 20,000 hours and 32 years in a variety of seats in big jets I'm still happy to put on the uniform and go flying.

The job and the lifestyle (long haul) could be better in some areas, but I wouldn't do anything else.

I hope you get to find out, Martine!!!
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 14:58

37 years and I still love it. Just hope I can go on beyond 65 doing something non public transport.
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 20:48

YES!
Old 23rd Sep 2002, 21:05

Does a bear XXXX in the woods?

Every day I go to work I wonder how the other half live.

150 mile wide office, a view to behold, ever seen the sunrise from flight levels, or chased the sunset over Africa or the ME.

A now retired mentor, once said that a cold cockpit can be more inviting than a warm bed. (with someone in it). I never believed him until I had experienced it.

Many older guys are still in the industry and hate it, they lost the love years ago they only do it to pay off the second wife, buy the third car or plasma TV.

These guys should get out and let those that have the passion progress.

The other day I had to do a raw data offset NDB, right down minimas, driving rain, turbulence the lot. Followed by an ILS in anger on the way home.

It made me work, but made me feel great, remembering the techniques that I learnt years ago doing something that I rarely ever do except in a lurching cave or on rare occasion.

Still enjoy it? , Like the air we breathe.......
Old 28th Sep 2002, 13:11

Thanks guys - it's nice to know you still have the passion for flying itself. It's a shame that the sheer joy doesn't come across to the public - I reckon they think in general you're v. proffesional, v. clever and super cool - they just don't appreciate that flying is fun, spectacular, beautiful, awe-inspiring.

With everyone so concerned about security and safety (rightly of course) it would be nice to get some passion back.

Martin - Bristol, UK
Old 29th Sep 2002, 16:39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shorts answer is yes.

The long answer is yes, but, I have to do too much of it and often at the wrong time of the day. At the end of the 5/6th day on, or at 06:00am having been up all night I can think of a large number of things I would rather be doing than sitting in the flightdeck.

Would I give it up if I won £5 million on the lottery next Saturday?. Yes, like a shot. Would I miss it?. almost certainly.
Old 29th Sep 2002, 23:43

Humus Motor

Oh yes!!

Sorry if we give that impression - but 'being professional' does not equal 'no fun'. I absolutely adore it for all the very good reasons that my colleagues have , most eloquently, given above. I do not look forward to hanging my headset up for the last time one little bit.

And many of us are 'Sunday pilots' too you know - matter of fact I spent this Sunday floating around in a vintage taildragger.

Thanks for a good question which gives those of us who love it (most of us, I suspect) to express our feelings about it.
Old 30th Sep 2002, 14:55

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Mostly. There are certainly flights I don't enjoy.

What I really enjoy is either flying from A to B, in my own aircraft, on a nice flying day - or wrestling with the flight testing of something that has a difficult to pin down and difficult to solve handling problem, that needs all of my concentration and ability to get to the bottom of.

Odd days where I'm just trying to get somewhere, the weather's mediocre, the view is mediocre, and the aircraft is nothing special, I wonder why I bother.

But only odd days.

G
Old 1st Oct 2002, 13:10

:)

...thats just the kind of post that I needed 4 weeks before sitting for my atpl exams..!

...did Leonardo ever actually leave the ground??
Old 2nd Oct 2002, 06:52

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Hard to tell with certainty. There was no aviation authority in medieval Italy, which was certainly in his favour. However, when researching something about him a few years ago I found a quote about him from a family friend "Da Vinci tried, but he failed", which suggests not - sadly. It would be nice to think he had.

G