Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

CX - Terms and Conditions, Questions & Answers.

Wikiposts
Search
Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

CX - Terms and Conditions, Questions & Answers.

Search this Thread

Old 1st Aug 2002, 17:15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long is the CX S/O training?

Hiya ppruners!Just out of curiosity am interested in finding out how long the CX S/O training is from the date of appointment to First flight.
Old 1st Aug 2002, 17:31

DOJ (date of joining) to first flight (not under supervision) between 3 and 4 months.
Old 3rd Aug 2002, 05:58

what do the newly appointed S/O's get paid during training.Their actual salary or a different one?
Old 3rd Aug 2002, 14:44

I'm not being smarmy or sarcastic, but the "contract" has changed so many times (there are presently 17 - or is it 19 - different Conditions of Service) that I don't know.

I think that while you are are in ADL getting licenced, you get paid an allowance (AUD100 per week?) and in Hong Kong about HKD30K per month (that's USD3800). Just guesses.
Old 7th Aug 2002, 08:27

Wrong CU, old info.

The day you start with CX in Adelaide you are on full year 1 S/O salary. No change to salary on type conversion and line training. Next increase is 12 months after date of joining... S/O year 2.
Old 7th Aug 2002, 10:08
jtr

Minima, you may want to check with the rec. office re Thrust's post.
It is illegal to employ anyone in HK without a valid work visa, thus when you first arrive, you get an "allowance", which I remember as being quite generous, until your visa is done. Then you go on the payroll.
As for getting PAID while in Adelaide, hmmm, maybe things have changed in the last few years (though I doubt for the better), but when I did it (6 years ago) you just got some AUD. $50 week I think it was. CX has no reason to pay you as all accomodation and food is supplied. However, I am happy to be proven wrong if recent experience shows otherwise!!
Old 7th Aug 2002, 16:20

Thrust is 100% correct.

I was in Adelaide a year ago and received full 1st year S/O salary as well as an allowance in Aussie Dollars.

Not too many companys do that!!!
Old 8th Aug 2002, 09:15

SK111,

The company sends you to Adelaide on a 1 month "course." It is designed to get people who come from different flying backgrounds onto an even footing so as to speak.

You complete a BE76 P1 rating while in Adelaide for your HK license and ride a JTS(Jet type simulator) sim which is used to introduce you to Cathay SOP's.

You will attend ground school lectures on the ATPL subjects that you will have to write once you get back to HK.

All in all the "course" is fairly laid back and helps you to adapt to the new way of thinking. All new joiners regardless of fleet go to Adelaide. The actual a/c conversion is done in the sims in HK.

The fact that you get your full salary plus allowances is testament to the fact that we do ultimately work for a very good company.
Old 8th Aug 2002, 09:39

Hello all

This seems to be a positive post regarding Cathay Pacific so I thought I should post my question here!

Can anybody tell me when, and where, CX interviews people for the S/O positions, what does the recruitment process consist of, and where should I send my initial application to?

Perhaps someone can give me an answer without telling me that there is a recruitment ban bla bla bla bla

Thanks!!
CM
Old 10th Aug 2002, 10:39

Question CX Physical

Want to know what are the disqualifying conditions in a CX physical? Given I have no major illness, wear glasses and probably underweight and wear glasses. Do they look for LASIK in the physical? (I have not done LASIK yet)

I am a HK chinese with FAA CPL CFI, FAA 1st class medical and 1000 hours, what is my chance of direct entry as S/O or F/O?
Old 11th Aug 2002, 19:15

Clogmaster,your initial correspondence should be your CV with a covering letter stating your interest in employment as a pilot with CX.This should be mailed to :
Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd
Flight Crew Recruitment (Second Officer)
Flight Operations Department
3/F South Tower
Cathay Pacific City
8 Scenic Road
Hong Kong International Airport
Lantau
Hong Kong

CX will send you an application form with their minimum requirements on it which are:
Second Officers
ATPL or CPL (ICAO)
Valid Multi engine Command Instrument Rating
All ATPL Ground Examinations passed
1,000 hrs total flying ,to include multiengine preferably turbine experience
A valid Medical and Radio Licence

After you have carefully filled it and it sent off,it may take months sometimes to get called up for an interview.In some cases it has been quicker otherwise you just keep updating your application every six months.

Cathay conducts the first interviews at their offices abroad like London/Paris for European candidates,Vancouver for North Americans and Sydney for Aussies/Kiwis etc.No allowances or tickets are given for the first interviews.
After clearing the first stage which includes a technical quiz,psychological test and an interview,successful candidates are called to Hong Kong for final evaluation .CX provides tickets,allowances,hotel etc for the candidate and the spouse.Medical,Sim ride and a final interview is conducted.

I hope this answers your questions.Wish you the best in your pursuit of a career with Cathay.
Old 12th Aug 2002, 01:56

Confirmed........

..... after a quick phone call:

On arrival in ADL you get your full Year 1 SO salary PLUS:

1. a HKG$10,000 'sign on bonus' from CX
2. AUS$540 ($135 per week) allowance

All you bank cards etc are sent to HSBC in ADL so you can pick everything up and access your accounts down there.... which is useful for all those nights at the CRAZY HORSE.

....as mentioned your accom and food are paid for in ADL so you are, for a short time, the best paid SOs in the company!

NB: Once you get to HKG there is an optional HKG$10,000 interest free loan too; to help you settle in. (you pay it back to CX @ $1000/mth)

Full Year 1 SO salary is approx US$4300 per month.
Old 12th Aug 2002, 07:37
borg

.....I would say the lucky few get an interview after a few months.

Many friends have been waiting years.

Old 12th Aug 2002, 11:56

S/O applicants requirements

OK guys, just talking about the situation before the ban.....

was there a lot of succesfull s/o applicants with only piston aircraft hours.
If yes is the training harder for them than people having turbine experience?

tanx
Old 13th Aug 2002, 01:40

The only pure piston pilots applying for jobs at CX are from GA. We get many and a lot get through ok. Is the training harder for them? Well no it is not, just different areas of pressure. Your young sponge- like mind will pick up the glass complexities easily enough. I bet you enjoy computers. As long as your basic trainer was a good one then the foibles of the big jet will also be absorbed easily. Actually occasionally an advantage with no jet experience as you have not learnt any bad habits. But please I am not selling the difficulties short, it will be head down and b.m up for about 6-9 months before the pressure will slacken off. Worth the effort though because CX is a great company.
Old 13th Aug 2002, 05:20

The only PURE difference is the exams you have to sit after your ADL training. Depending on experience most new joiners sit 7-9 exams in HKG... but those coming from a pure piston background have a few extras:

Piston and Jet Engine Theory
Advanced Systems (dont know the exact title.... but Hydraulics etc)
and Electrics.

There often seem no rhyme nor reason behind CADs logic with regard to who sits what exams but, save to say, if you have less than 100hrs on any particular type CAD ignore it.

We have C130 pilots who have to sit Loading exams and Navaho pilots who get that credited.... and people from the same companies sitting completely different exams.... but the piston folk definitely sit 2-3 more.

Proably not unjustifed; quite amusing in fact to see them getting used to jet engines in ADL!

"Can it really be this simple?"

The rest, sims etc at CX is just the same for all. Lets face it the cadets have no jet time and get on just fine. I agree with Shortly.
Old 14th Aug 2002, 08:59

Cool

Minima thank you very much for that information. My application is in the post!

Regards
CM
Old 14th Aug 2002, 21:36

CX benefits

Which kind of benefits can you get when you are based out of HK (US, OZ or Europe)?

Is there a special indemnity, or tax benefits?
Old 15th Aug 2002, 04:53

You get to deadhead around the world for no credit.
You get to spend half your life in a hotel in HK.
You get to pay HK tax and tax in your home country.
You (according to Cathay management currently fighting in court) get no legal protection for your contract in your home country.
You get to be intimidated if you step out of line.
Old 15th Aug 2002, 12:13

CX holidays and tax

Hi guys,

How many days of holiday per year is included in the S/O package?

What's the average rate of tax you've got to pay on your salary in HK?

tanx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.