Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Mi-2 crash - ABC on how not to do a takeoff (incl video)

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Mi-2 crash - ABC on how not to do a takeoff (incl video)

Search this Thread

Old 21st Jun 2005, 10:59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABC on how not to do a takeoff

This happened today. Click on the link and then under "video". Most be one of the more useful videos to have for training purposes - how NOT to do.

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=33831&a=409717

Could not see if he busted the redlight as well

Hope the link works

CB
Old 21st Jun 2005, 11:59

Just watched the video clip.

Quite bizarre? Can't fathom out why the helo went hover taxying down the tree lined avenue rather than lifting?? Also looked to a bit downwind.....
What actually happened?.....appeared to yaw rapidly to port at the same time as the tail boom appeared to fold in two?
Did the boom "fail" causing a break in the tail rotor shaft and consequent Yaw/crash?

Can any Finnish speakers translate the news story?

Confused

Old 21st Jun 2005, 12:26

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Might help if the Finnish speakers can also speak Swedish - although I gather it's Suomi's second language. ".se" is the Swedish bigraph.

Haven't the faintest idea what's going on; the Real clip is p-poor quality so I couldn't make out anything much after the Hoplite overflew the camera. Would love to know more.
Old 21st Jun 2005, 13:26

Angry Mi-2 crash in Sweden (Video of crash)

Sight seeing flight gone wrong. Mi-2 crash on take off, carrying 6 people, inclund a 100 year old man and a child.

All taken to hospital.

Video of the entire accident

http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/share...37267&a=409801

It looks to me if the rotor hits a street light pole, and crashes.

Helo on Lithuanian reg.
Old 21st Jun 2005, 13:50

Good job he didn't hit that Volvo.

Why didn't he get some height before translation?
Old 21st Jun 2005, 13:58

Angry

This is totally crazy - the helicopter obviously does not have the performance to takeoff, yet the pilot persists.

How he could contemplate operating A-A in such a confined area is beyond me.

As he passes over the photographer's head, did you notice the car screeching to halt just below the tail boom ?

(Volvo according to on21 ?)
Old 21st Jun 2005, 14:03

IMHO, what could he have done differently to avoid the accident?

Simple, get a few passengers off the flying artifact, or much less fuel.

Thanks for the video, it took me a while to figure out how to play it, I had a girlfriend from Sweden once but we didn't have the need to talk much and I didn't learn much Swedish
Old 21st Jun 2005, 14:05
TheFlyingSquirrel

God knows what he ( she? ) was up to - what a waste of a paint job !!

Old 21st Jun 2005, 14:26

was there not enough room in the area where he took off to get some speed up first?
I mean is that really the best option, flyng down a street.

did you see one of the blades shooting off to left? was it a public park or something.
Old 21st Jun 2005, 15:21

Snoop

They just showed the video on German television... he/she really picked the WRONG place for take-off and/or landing!! doesn't match the JAR-OPS requirements as far as I can tell. I think his company and insurance will be having a "little" talk with him......

Westy
Old 21st Jun 2005, 15:48

Now I see exactly what happened !

Watch carefully and as the Mil is going "down the road" it passes a street lamp on its port side. ( next to the dark red car)The main rotors are then seen to neatly slice off the top of the lamp assembly itself......the rest is inevitable, so to speak.

Old 21st Jun 2005, 16:12

Looks like he might have clipped a tree on the left.

BW
Old 21st Jun 2005, 16:27

Already a thread running. Look at the street lighting column on the left, just before the crash. Its a clue!!!

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=179394

Old 21st Jun 2005, 16:51

I guess it does not help that the Mi-2 is not typcertified for commercial work in Sweden, and that is was a commercial flight (for hire) without AOC.

It seems like it is hard for the authorities to bust the people that flies without operator certificate, and sometimes just on PPL.

Problem is that for the general public a helicopter accident is an accident, they do not see the diffrence and therefore we all take a hit in confidence.

CB
Old 21st Jun 2005, 20:41

CNN report
Helicopter crash on 100th birthday

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP)
-- A Swedish man celebrating his 100th birthday with a helicopter ride survived with minor injuries when the helicopter crashed shortly after taking off Tuesday in central Sweden, police said.

Carl Zetterlund, who turned 100 on Tuesday, was to fly to the Stockholm archipelago with his son, grandson and 7-year-old great grandson from a nursing home in Heby, a small town about 100 kilometers (62 miles) northwest of Stockholm, police spokesman Ulf Palm said.

But something went wrong shortly after the helicopter took off, and its rotor blades clipped a tree and a lamp post before the aircraft went down in a cloud of dust and smoke.

The four family members, along with the pilot and a nursing home worker on board, escaped with cuts and bruises, Palm said.
Palm said Zetterlund's relatives had chartered the helicopter as a birthday gift.

A local TV crew filming the family gathering got dramatic footage of the crash. Their video showed the rotor blades of the Lithuanian-registered MI-2 helicopter hitting a tree and then clipping the top off a lamp post.
"Then there was a bang, then one of the rotor blades broke off. I huddled up and waited for the crash. And it came almost immediately," one of the passengers, Ove Johansson, told Swedish Radio after the accident.

Johansson said that with the help of two other people he managed to get Carl Zetterlund out of the helicopter. It was not immediately clear whether Johansson was one of the family members.

After the 100-year-old was pulled from the wreck, he was flown on another helicopter to Uppsala University Hospital, where he was in stable condition, hospital officials said.

"He got a helicopter ride after all," Palm said.
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 11:49

Well you gotta give him 10 out of 10 for sheer grim determination... There was no way that heli was getting the better of him... it was getting off the ground come what... oops!

Old 22nd Jun 2005, 13:18

Any specific reason why there is no registration on the helicopter???
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 15:32

To my (neophyte) eye the whole thing looks ropey!

The lift off was straight into sideways flight without establishing a nice height (dynamic rollover terrirtory?) and the sideways flight itself goes up and down and backwards - all looks a bit "loose" shall we say?

Then air taxiing down a street that seems to be not much wider than the rotor diameter?

But I suppose it's easy to analyse and make insights to a lift and air taxi when you know how it is about to end...

Still curious though...

Very glad all were ok.
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 18:36

Just watched the SVT news broadcast. The police have charged the pilot with assault and attempted assault. (Or something along those lines, hard to translate)

*No AOC
*PPL-H
*No rating on the Mi-2
*Particular a/c with no liscence to operate in Sweden in general.
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 19:31

The aircraft was registered, not in Sweden though, as experimental and the PPL-H wasn't valid in the country of the aircraft registry. The Swedish aviation authority might report to the police about the aviation related offences as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.