Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Plane crash in S.E. of S.A. today

Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Search this Thread

Old 6th Nov 2003, 16:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard that a plane enroute from Melbourne to Parafield crashed near Bordertown this afternoon. Apparently female person on board suffered minor injuries, male person (presumably pilot) was uninjured. Anyone have any more details?
Old 7th Nov 2003, 11:15
ACK

Post ABC News 7/11

Australian Search and Rescue says there will be no investigation into yesterday's crash of a home-built plane in upper south-east South Australia because the incident did not involve a registered aircraft.

The elderly couple on board suffered minor injuries and were flown to Horsham hospital last night by a medical helicopter which had been called in from Victoria.

The plane came down in a barley crop north of Tintinara, after its canopy shattered, causing the pilot to lose control.

It flipped onto its roof after landing.

Marcus Ashby, who together with another searcher found the plane, says the couple was lucky to escape with minor injuries.
Old 7th Nov 2003, 12:00

Received 246 Likes on 106 Posts
The ATSB investigate aircraft accidents NOT Australian Search & Rescue. The aircraft was registered as VH-SIP.

How many facts can they get wrong in one sentence?
Old 10th Nov 2003, 12:39

...I've heard that the pilot was quite a well known aviator from Perth...

Any more light to be shed?

Old 12th Nov 2003, 20:55
U2

Gee.. G.A not having a good run lately. There has been maybe half to a dozen aircraft accidents in the last month or so, which have made local/national news.

Must be something in the water....?

U2
Old 13th Nov 2003, 07:09

Have you noticed the difference between the results of a controlled crash where you walk away from it, and an uncontrolled crash where all die.

In the assymetric twin engine case you need the self discipline to pull off the good engine and land when you run out of rudder. Otherwise in this case it rolls onto it's back and goes down vertically.

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.
Old 16th Nov 2003, 07:08

I agree AEROMENTOR I often rember the advice of an ag pilot I once worked with who had crashed five or six times " if your going to crash crash wings level"
Old 16th Nov 2003, 13:55

Location: Next door to the neighbor from hell, who believes in chemtrails!
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I like these little gems:

If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible. (Bob Hoover)

It occurred to me that if I did not handle the crash correctly there would be no survivors.
(Richard Leakey, after engine failure in a single engine, Nairobi, Africa, 1993)

When a prang seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible.
(Advice given to RAF pilots during W.W.11.)

The emergencies you train for almost never happen. It's the one you can't train for that kills you.
(Ernest K Gann, advice from the 'Old Pelican')

DF.