Wikiposts
Search
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

SQ domestic confirmed??????

Search this Thread

Old 27th Sep 2002, 02:03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQ domestic confirmed??????

If you believe the YSSY message board, SQ is now a certain start-up for early 2003.

Anyone have more to add?

More specifically:

"A most reliable upper industry source" has informed me this morning that Regional Express (REX) has been in deep discussion with Singapore Airlines. The tom-toms are saying that SQ will be flying domestically within Australia by April 2003. Their fleet is going to be 24 x Airbus aircraft, for cockpit commonality. The A321, A320, A319, and possibly A318.

Bob is correct. Not sure on the dates however my information comes direct from the Ansett Administrators not through Regional Express. This will definitely happen.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 02:29

Have been told by a very reliable source that SQ have approved the business plan for the new Airline. As recently as last Friday , There was a team of SQ personal in Melbourne around the Ansett Flight Dept.Apparently they have had a Business plan approved by the SQ board , but a start up date is being kept very quiet. Another source believes the 4th April is going to be the date. Lets hope something comes of this , to create more jobs in Australia.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 03:25

Anyone have any idea about the new name? Any chance of the name Ansett coming back from the grave?

Personally, I think it still has value - in fact, I think SQ backing helps alleviate the bad baggage it had in its later days - ie. old, "cracking" planes - new fleet. No money, about to collapse, crass management - SQ, fairly rich, seem to doing quite well business wise - perhaps not in the HR side of things, from what I hear.

I think SQ backing gives it a sense of reliability.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 03:53

I hope you guys are right.

Just remember the size of the rumour factory. It's probably working overtime.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 05:34

Evertonian

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Angry

Perhaps the start date should be April 1st. Especially if "Clown & Clown" administrators have anything to do with it!

I hope it gets up though. Especially for all those who are still struggling out there. For me, I doubt if I'd even consider it now.

AN's name, I think, still has worth in this market. As more is revealed about the last few years of AN's running, it could even be beneficial to any future strategies. Consider the fondness for the underdog in Oz. DJ are enjoying the benefits of this phenomenon, and, once you get them on your seats, if you've got the product right, they'll more than likely stay with you.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 06:48

Cool

I just hope 'SHAVE' gets a positive call from EK and M.R. takes his 777 in Singa before start-up or it will be "ground-hog" day!
Old 27th Sep 2002, 07:19

Shave has had a negative call from EK.

And hopefully the former chief pilot will not be a part of any new operation. I think the SQ management would have more sense than to put on any of the former management drones.

Hope so for the sake of the airline.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 09:51

Can anyone out there confirm that in the last week, A320 and A321 parking lines have appeared on the tarmac at the old ansett terminal at Sydney airport ?
I think S.Q will have to eventually enter the australian market. The star alliance is unrepresented in the market here and the economies of scale that stem from this alliance should be enough incentive alone for them.
They had a very big role in the crew and staff awards for the failed tesna bid. These awards , according to the authors of " ansett - the collapse " were apparently looked at very carefully by a certain C.E.O of QF.
Let's face it , given the level of customer dissatisfaction and deteriorating service levels at Q.F , any cashed up competitor who were prepared to compete with Q.F in the business market would be likely to pull 10 to 15% market share off them overnight!
It is also interesting to note that Q.F has built up a very large casual and part time ( read disposable ) workforce. I reckon that they believe S.Q will eventually have a try.
It would be interesting to see how they would cope with this as they have never faced a seriously cashed up domestic competitor ever. Ansett was always cash strapped after the merger of Australian and Q.F and the subsequent public float.
I believe there is more blood to be shed in the aussie domestic market yet !
Old 27th Sep 2002, 11:49

If you take a close look around you will also notice the following in addition to the above : B717, B747( gate 49), B146 DH 8, B1900 plus a few others . I do not believe that one can read anything into what is marked on the NEW T2 Terminal area Probable just edging their bets !!!!!!
Old 27th Sep 2002, 13:10

yeah , thanks airbournespanner, unfortunately I don't live in Sydney so I don't have the opportunity to take a look around., that's why I was seeking knowledgable info .
Will be an interesting next 12 months or so in the aus aviation industry though
Old 27th Sep 2002, 13:58

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Normally, when a new domestic airline starts up in Australia, the airline that suffers the most is the weakest (financially & marketing) of the incumbents. I believe VB management are very worried which is why they have been trying to get exclusive rights to the AN terminal in SYD. If they are still operating out of their current terminal in SYD when SQ starts up then they are in serious trouble.
Old 27th Sep 2002, 23:51

I can just see the SQ board at the meeting to decide if they are going to go ahead with a domestic airline;

"right gentlemen, its agreed that we will start and we will push for about 6 months from now"

"does anyone have any final questions?"

"yes, we better make sure that we get some stop lines painted at Sydney airport right away, its the most important thing we have to do and we cant go any further until thats done"

"great point, I would not have thought of that. A hearty bonus coming your way"
Old 28th Sep 2002, 00:09

From the fact side of the argument apparently CASA and SACL are always the last to be advised of any impending operation.
This was the statement from a government official some months back when the media was jumping on the bandwagon about SQ resurrecting AN and the CASA and SACL reps said "we have been told nothing about this!"

Rumours always abound about Asian looking gentlemen wandering around Terminal 2 (the old AN terminal) inspecting along with paint-lines etc etc.
What a crock!

They have done absolutely zip in terms of any marketing,recruitment or anything else important that would have to be done by now.

I ask you these questions and if you can answer them all then I just may believe these guys may be interested.

Do they have a confirmed AOC?
Have they secured terminal space?
Have they recruited the requisite staff?
Have they commenced to advertise in advance?
Have they set up an operations base from which to run this mysterious airline?
Have they sought any tax concessions from the state or federal govts to date?

All the above things take time and money and I dont think they can be achieved before April 03.
As always people believe what they want rather than the true facts.
Old 28th Sep 2002, 04:24

A friend who flys for VB passed this info my way a few days ago.

He said that the mgt had published a notice to the pilots, and probably all staff, which said that there would indeed be a third airline, but it wouldn't be SQ.

They didn't speculate on who it would be though.

Perhaps VB pilots could comment on this notice.
Old 28th Sep 2002, 05:49

Sounds interesting ....

I know that this topic has been touched on before ...

I was wondering what people think about - if there is a third airline that enteres Oz, how will DJ and QF stand with a 3rd ??

Will DJ keep going strong ?

Will QF/Australian buckle ??

Interesting topic ..... love to hear what people think ...
Old 28th Sep 2002, 06:32

The third Airline will be VB International, not as silly as it sounds.
Old 28th Sep 2002, 13:17

Cool

Damn shame, SHAVE...... Damn shame.

Burning bridges last forever more......

Now if we could get M.R. to open a pilot shirt shop.....!!
Old 29th Sep 2002, 01:27

Exclamation Funny

How all the information is out there but nobody believes it is going to happen .
I also believe the media is making up the QF/ SQ Rumours to thow us off track, why would the 2 get together when SQ can create a QF equivalent all on there terms, hard work but will pay massive dividends long term.
Im very nervous about being on the tail end of QF seniority.
Old 29th Sep 2002, 01:36

The third airline might use the name Silk Air

Silk Air is the regional wing for SQ and does alot of runs around the South East Asian Region.

Silk Air also operates an all Airbus fleet!!!!!

Makes senses

CC
Old 29th Sep 2002, 01:38

Speaking of SilkAir, I heard from a mate up there that they intend to start services to Cairns and Darwin in the not too distant future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.