Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

BBMF

Search this Thread

Old 10th Jul 2008, 05:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBMF

You stole the village fete, almost caused a tractor to crash and a neighbour dropped his his pint all down the front of his shirt when the Dakota came in. Thank you, you all do a brilliant job.

Lest we forget.

Old 10th Jul 2008, 07:56

BBMF

Thanks for the piccies.

Just curious, why no roundels and serial nos on the underside of the Dak's wings? I thought that all RAF ac displayed these.

MB
Old 10th Jul 2008, 08:12

Nice pics, Al - cheers!

Bob - the Hurricane has no underwing marking either... BBMF must have gone low-vis like the rest of the inventory!
Old 10th Jul 2008, 16:05

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Madbob

BBMF
Thanks for the piccies.

Just curious, why no roundels and serial nos on the underside of the Dak's wings? I thought that all RAF ac displayed these.

MB
Serials under he wings I believe only came back in post war to stop all the bored Pilots doing low flying whilst awaiting to be demobbed...........
Old 11th Jul 2008, 09:47

There was no big build up, no massive crowds.. just a couple of aeroplanes bimbling over a village as they may have done 60 years ago with a few yokels like me, just looking up and squinting, before they were gone and all was quiet again. It bought them to life because it put them in context and made you want to almost protect them - they seemed so old, so vulnerable almost.. but so utterly proud and there were a few old boys suffering from the pollen I can tell you. We realise that BBMF is fantastic, so developing its work, I wonder if the time isn't right to broaden its scope to develop some sort of tri-service (maybe) military historical preservation Flight? We proudly remember The Few, those who drew the line in the sand for us, but should we not be preparing to remember those who came after The Few too?

It made me think. What if anything, is going to be done to preserve the current crop of outgoing kit, such as the Jag or Tornado? I realise there are huge priority, technical, political, accountability, safety, security and cost issues, but have these been investigated and discounted, or is it all just too difficult? Are there any GR3 or GR1 Harriers still flying I wonder? At the 2028 RIAT, we will want to see the likes of a wing swept Tonka blatting across an airfield, I'm sure. Have we learnt nothing from 558?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 10:26

Originally Posted by Al R
Are there any GR3 or GR1 Harriers still flying I wonder?
Nice to see XW175 is still going strong. It displayed at Yeovilton last week. Handful of shots here. The Sea Vixen looks fantastic! Not sure about getting a Tonka in the air in twenty years time. It's hard enough now!.