Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

WORLD AVIATION MUSEUMS - Mod post 16/05

Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

WORLD AVIATION MUSEUMS - Mod post 16/05

Search this Thread

Old 25th Mar 2008, 16:08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOCKSCAR,Who She is!

I do not know if this has been noted or not,but this Aircraft was the Girl who delivered the Second Bomb to end all Bombs to Nagasaki,lots of History there!Just thought I'd throw that in,apologies if this is already addressed elswhere!
Old 19th Jun 2008, 03:09

How to get to Udvar-Hazy

To avoid anyone getting lost when trying to get to the Udvar-Hazy part of the Smithsonian's Air Space Museum, here's the latest info. The shuttle coach that used to run between the original museum on the Mall & Dulles was discontinued for lack of customers and you now have to use public transport.

From the museum on the Mall, go out the back door & down to D Street (south under the rail bridge) and then west to the bus stop just before 7th Street. The 5A bus leaves on a slightly irregular schedule , check the latest times at www.wmata.com/timetables/dc/5a.pdf Cost is $3.10 - exact change required but it does take $1 bills.

The 5A bus also stops just north of Rosslyn Metro (nearest metro from Ronald Reagan) about 15 minutes after leaving D Street and then takes about 45 minutes (or more with traffic) to get out to Dulles Airport. The stop is on the lower level by the parking shuttle & other ground transport. The Virginia Regional Transport shuttle to Udvar-Hazy picks up from the same stop, takes about 15 minutes to get there and costs 50c (exact change requested). First bus is at 10.30 & every 45 minutes on weekdays and 11.15 then hourly on weekends. If you miss the bus, it will cost you $10 - 12 for a cab!

Last bus back to Dulles is when the museum closes at 5.30 which easily makes the 5A at Dulles at 6.05.

As seen in the photo above, it's got some unique aircraft so it's well worth the trip.
Old 19th Jun 2008, 14:05

Boeing 314 mock up Foynes Ireland

Exterior

Construction is a little "rugged"

The Museum is opposite the port and the triple fin is visible from the road.

The cockpit. The "view" is a series of photos.

Engineer's panel

Wireless operator's panel
Old 25th Jun 2008, 23:52

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
English Russia » Russian Aircraft Museum by Night
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 08:23

Florida Museums

Apart from Fantasy of Flight and the Valiant Air Command museums, both of which I plan to visit in the autumn, are there any other worthwhile museums to go to in Florida? (Not including KSC, been there, done that!)
Old 19th Jul 2008, 02:10

Not really close to those two but don't forget the museums at Eglin AFB (Destin) & Pensacola up in the Panhandle. Not a museum but "Richard's Field" out in the Redlands SW of Miami (off Quail Roost) has a lot of interesting birds (metal & feathered) - was in a friend's L2M flying from there when we nearly had a mid-air with a flock of flamingos - still not sure who was overtaking who.
Old 19th Jul 2008, 03:51

Unquestionably the best aviation museum in Florida and a contender for the worldwide title: http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/

- Onboard NAS Pensacola
- Don’t forget to ask for a flightline and/or restoration hangar tour. Not always available but a great treat.

Also mentioned: http://www.destin-ation.com/airforcearmamentmuseum/

- Located off-post near the main gate to Eglin AFB
Old 21st Jul 2008, 16:13

Tangmere Airfield Museum

Small but beautifully formed!

This museum holds some very nice aeroplanes including 2 former world airspeed record holders, but it is the human interest side of the museum which makes it for me.

The wreckage of a Hurricane which crashed in Bognor and was excavated only a few years ago bringing with it the body of the pilot who was finally buried with full military honours in his home town, the stories of the SOE agents who flew out of Tngmere on moonlit nights, many never to return, the garden of remembrance so lovingly cared for by the volunteers and the volunteers themselves so helpful and willing to chat.

A great place to spend an hour or 2 if you are on the south coast.
Old 12th Oct 2008, 20:49

City of Norwich Aviation Museum. 12 10 08.

On such a nice late autumn day I have been practising with my camera at the local museum, although the sun was lovely, it was in the wrong position !!! So a few of the best in my opinion ! Have lots more if you want ? Keith.

Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:14

Photobucket albums

When I rearranged my photo albums the pictures of the1/16th scale dioramas that I am sending to the Canada Aviation Museum got lost.I will replace some of them now.Sorry. Cheers! John.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:18

Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:21

This diorama is presently undergoing a major re-work to expand the idea to a outside and well as inside environment.The storyline has also been changed in view of this expanded version.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:23

Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:28

This my second diorama is pretty much finished except for how the museum plans to present it.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:31

Old 14th Oct 2008, 18:35

This is a small portion of the third diorama which tells the story of the Jenny's contribution to early aviation.It is titled "Keepers Of The Flame" in honor of those who kept the flame of aviation alive during the 1919-1927 era.
Old 16th Jan 2009, 19:45

Far from home.

I have been here in the US for about 4 years now and I have come across the odd bit of British aviation history outside of museums that I have photographed. I thought I would share some of these with the forum in case your interested.

Firstly, not wishing to continuie the discussions that a camoflaged Jet Provost raised on another thread, here are some photos of another camoflaged Jet Provost. This time taken as recently as October 2008 at Salt Lake City. Does anyone know if the code 19 has any significance?

Next a couple of Tiger Moth N42DH from an airport very local to me, Van Sant. These were taken in June 2008.

Chipmunk WG430 at the same location. This aircraft still wears the marks of 1AEF.

And finally a Strikemaster wearing an "interesting" colour scheme.

QuePee
Old 17th Jan 2009, 16:04

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This JP was not camouflaged when in service and, for example, the roundels are not the correct style. Here is a picture of it as it would have been when it left RAF service:

Photos: Hunting P-84 Jet Provost T3 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net
Old 17th Jan 2009, 19:33

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
If this aircraft was demobbed from 1FTS ar RAF Linton-On-Ouse, 19 could well have been its 'Fleet Number', IIRC the Mark 3s had low Fleet Numbers and the mark 5s were numbered from 80 Upwards.
Old 18th Jan 2009, 07:47

Al Mahata (Old Sharjah Airport ) Museum,Sharjah,U.A.E

Though of sheding some light on an aviation museum in the Middle East

Location : Al Mahata Museum is located on the Immigration road, behind the Immigration office building in Sharjah , U.A.E
Museum Name : Al Mahata Museum
Visiting hours:
Week days & holidays : 9 am to 1 pm & 5 pm to 8 pm
Fridays : 5 pm to 8 pm only.
(Museum is closed on Mondays)

1- ATC Tower

2- Entrance Gate

3- Model of G-AAXE Imperial Airways the 1st Aircraft to land at Sharjah

4- Old Airport Model

5- The DH 114 HERON 1B G-ANFE SN : 14034
6- G-AJPR

7- Comet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.