PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship programmes?

PPRuNe Pop
6th Sep 2001, 12:01
A brief summary on TV this morning suggests an interesting programme. Don't think it will show the intersting comments John Hutchinson made though!!

minimastermind
28th May 2005, 00:19
I'm 17 and I have a conditional offer at strathclyde university in Glasgow for aero-mechanical engineering. Ideally I would love to get sponsorship to train for an airline, but having read these forums, that seems to be virtually unachievable with little flying experience.

I am considering taking a year out from university and getting my PPL, as that is the most I will be able to afford with my current work situation. That way when I turn 18 in November I can apply for sponsorship with some experience, if I was accepted I would forget university.

I had also considered going straight to university and applying for sponsorship after finishing the degree, as I have heard that they look favourably towards people with university degrees.

I am posting this to ask for advice, if there is anyone who followed a similar path.
Is applying for sponsorship with a PPL any more beneficial?
Is applying with a degree any more beneficial?
or would I be wasting my time, and just as unlikely to be accepted?

Thanks in advance, would really appreciate some feedback.

cosworth211
28th May 2005, 00:35
I have my PPL and have just finished uni. I did initially apply to CTC McAlpine Ezy/TC scheme, but didnt continue after reading the costs involved. Basically any sponsership that is available these days is no different from securing your own funds, ie you h ave to pay the money back either way. Im now enrolled on an intergrated program with a massive loan behind me.

Airlines these days need to cut their costs massively. Pilots are not in shortage. What business would offer a sponsership in these conditions?

It seems the only way these days is to either be one of the very select few who make it through the very few sponsership schemes available, join the RAF (which is no less competitive), find a lender to offer you some sort of proff. studies loan or go the modular route and work 3 jobs.

Either way it is very difficult and very stressful, with few guarantees at the other end.

Note this is just my perspective, and on the other side, tomorrow afternoon, I am taking my 3rd AOPA aerobatics lesson, barrel rolls, and the 25-30 hours pw I worked through university to get my PPL now seems worth it. Flying is the best hobby or job in the world, and it seems if you are dedicated enough there are endless rewards.

At 17 IMHO I wouldnt rush into anything. You have enough time to secure a degree, then complete your CPL training, and still be very young for a FO job.

Consider not doing a degree, imagine another downturn in the industry, as a non aviation employer would you employ a qualified commercial pilot, who cant find aviation work, but would **** off at the first sniff of an airline, airtaxi, cargo job etc?

Best of luck either way! :ok:

minimastermind
28th May 2005, 23:06
Thanks muchly for the reply. Really appreciate the advice.

I had expected to have to pay the money back, just getting the money in the first place is the problem, it's very expensive.

I think I will go to university and take it from there, that way I still have the engineering to fall back on if I don't make it.

Troydi
29th May 2005, 12:06
Cosworth's right. If you have an offer to go to University - take it. It's always useful having a degree, even if you want to do something else (ie. become an airline pilot) for many reasons. Downturn in the industry, health problems later on etc.

I'm just at the end of my uni course, and looking to do some courses myself. Sponsorships are practically non-existant. The schemes that are being run at the moment, are pretty much self-funded.

My suggestion would be to go to uni. It's definitely an experience, and also something you'll be able to refer to in later life, on CV's, application forms etc. You'll be finished when you're 21 (assuming a 3 yr course...) and thats still young enough to start a career.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

:ok:

minimastermind
30th May 2005, 22:11
Thanks for the advice Troydi, I am going to go to uni now.

What did you study at uni?

smith
31st May 2005, 06:32
I wouldn't study aero-mechanical engineering as, if there is a down turn in the aviation industry, it will affect aero-engineers as well as pilots and again you would have nothing to fall back on. Yes it would be an interesting course but difficult to find a job related to it if there is a downturn.

I have three friends with aero engineering degrees, 2 worked at BAe systems as buyers and 1 a RN helocopter pilot. The 2 at BAe were made redundant and 1 now works in a bank and the other in an industrial pump manufacturer. The RN heli-pilot failed the course and now works on the stock exchange.

gliderone
1st Jun 2005, 12:29
Hi,

I am currently on an industrial year in a large Aerospace company as part of my masters degree. The year out has enabled me to get my PPL and hopefully secure a job at the end of my degree. I can't agree with the above posting about not doing an aerospace degree, it's an excellent sector to work in, and the main thing is, that at the end of the day if you decide you don't want to work in aerospace, and assuming you don't want to fly, engineers can do almost anything - finance (big bucks in London Village!) etc etc.

My advice, go to uni, get a good degree, do a year out to see if you like engineering - if you do, you may decide to stick with it, if not - don't worry, you can leave uni and apply for flying jobs. Or even go earn the mega bucks.

Don't limit your options and make sure you do what you want to, aviation is a great thing, engineering or otherwise - and there are plently of jobs - take it from me.

Gliderone

SAS-A321
6th Jun 2005, 15:18
Anyone know when BA will start their Sponsored Pilot Training scheme?

Are other airlines offering sponsorships?

Megaton
6th Jun 2005, 15:27
Would be very suprised if BA ever start another fully sponsored scheme so don't hold your breath. There are a few schemes areound still but almost all require considerable cash somewhere along the way. Have a look at easyJey, Thomsonfly, Atlantic, FlyBE.

scroggs
7th Jun 2005, 06:19
Firstly, why should BA restart their sponsorship scheme when there are thousands of wannabes (far more than the industry needs) prepared to pay the whole deal, including type rating, themselves? Their accountants wouldn't be too impressed if the company proposed paying for something they don't need to!

Secondly, BA is recruiting only a tiny number of ab-initio pilots at the moment, and is doing it through direct contact with the three integrated schools (OAT, Cabair and FTE). The vast majority of their recruiting is for people with type ratings and a minimum of 400 hours on type.

If BA ever do reintroduce a pilot training scheme, it is very unlikely to be a sponsorship. It is far more likely to be on the CTC model, where you pay for your own training through a huge loan which is repaid from salary - assumimg you pass and are subsequently employed. If you fail, the loan would still have to be repaid...

Scroggs

Mooney12
7th Jun 2005, 08:17
The old BA cadets paid for their own training through a reduced salary as well...Nothing is ever paid for in this industry.

The only difference back then was that BA took all the financial risk. Today the student bears the risk through a bond-type arrangement.

Wobbles
7th Jun 2005, 21:04
So, by the sound of things our only hope of sponsorship is for everyone on here to give up looking, so that there is no longer a "wannabe surplus" and then they will have to pay!

Seriously though, how many other training-intensive careers are there where you have to pay for it all yourself, take all the risk and the employer gets you virtually for free? The way airlines treat us wannabes is appalling and if they want the high quality candidates they say they are lacking then they should invest in us!!!

But there's not a lot we can do about it so back to work to save the pennies it is...

minimastermind
8th Jun 2005, 01:13
Sorry for the lateness in reply, internet connection problems.
Again, thanks very much for the advice. This is more for me to think about.
I'm still awaiting my exam results from school to see if I have been accepted to the course. I will then have to make a decsision.
Your replies have been very helpful, it's always good to get opinions from the top.

Thanks

Crazypilot A
8th Jun 2005, 08:22
Hi,

I hope they do not reintroduce the sponsorship. I spent many painstaking years getting the 70k together so i could attend the FTE course. I finally did, got a good grade in my ATPL's and eventually got into BA under the SSP scheme.

I worked my ass off for that money and all the people who want the easy way in, i hope you don't get it! Call me bitter i dont care i suffered you can to..

+Crazy Pilot A

Re-Heat
8th Jun 2005, 19:50
aaah - what a caring personality - it makes one just want to run up and give you a big bear hug.

That sort of crap perpetuates poor working conditions - that being one of the main resistences behind junior doctors hours not being cut back for so many years "I did it, so shall you..."

No sense of justice eh? Some of us just can't afford it full stop.

Aerospace101
10th Jun 2005, 18:42
How did someone like that get into BA???? :yuk:

dlav
10th Jun 2005, 20:37
Plus it wasnt exactly easy to get in on the cadet scheme anyway when BA were doing it. The competitiion was unreal wasnt it?

lovejoy18
13th Jun 2005, 10:15
Hi new to this site. This topic or subject has proberly been writen alreayd but i havent found it. Does anybody know how many airlines do the sponoship scheme, and if so what are they?

scroggs
13th Jun 2005, 11:05
A search looking for the keyword 'sponsorship' in the thread titles of this foum in only the last 3 months reveals these results. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1866985&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

As you will see, no conventional airlines in UK offer a traditional sponsorship, where you undertake training entirely at their expense with no financial risk to you if you fail. There is the CTC scheme (search for it) which lends you the money to undertake their training, then (hopefully) places you with an airline where you then pay back the loan out of your pay. CTC also operate a similar scheme for a few airlines (eg easyJet) who will have selected you before you enter training. The financial aspects are the same, and you should understand that the responsibility for the loan (or the part of it used to that point) remains yours if you fail the training.

Oxford, FTE and Cabair are offering, or intending to offer, broadly similar schemes, but you will not find any sponsorships.

The sole exception is the Air Atlantique 'Fugly' scheme, which is more like a traditional apprenticeship and will only appeal to relatively few in this jet-oriented age!

Scroggs

eoincarey
13th Jun 2005, 15:28
whats wrong with the air atlantique sponsorship anyways?

Its still flying experience, mostly on multie engine types, and they're paying for your training. Whats not to like?

Who cares if theres no jets, they're classic aeroplanes which must be great fun to fly, and they provide good experience if you want to progress on to jets later on.

ETC

scroggs
13th Jun 2005, 18:20
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Air Atlantique's scheme - I wish there were more like it, and that the industry appreciated what it offers. Unfortunately there aren't, it doesn't, and there are very, very few places available anyway. On top of that, very few wannabes are interested in non-mainstream airline employment. Not that that will worry Air Atlantique, as I'm sure a few ex-Fuglies here will be happy to confirm.

Scroggs

MMEMatty
13th Oct 2005, 19:26
Hi All

As a PPL with almost 100 hours i was wondering if anyone could give guidance;

I know that the FlyBe / Cabair sponsorship scheme has a max hours limit of 60 hours flying time for applicants - is this an industry standard thing, or just something FlyBe or Cabair have decided (i.e. perhaps they dont want other training techniques "interfering" with their style).

Anyone advise? Would it be better to give up on the dream of sponsorship and just concentrate on getting the money for a self funded fATPL, or do i still have a chance?

Regards

Matty

mcand
14th Oct 2005, 13:47
Hi matty

This is the first time i've seen a sponsorship with a limit on the amount of hours so i wouldn't say it is industry standard. I'm in the same boat with 100 hours i could'nt apply either.

However the schemes run at OAT recently with excel and thomas cook had no upper hour limit.

in my opinion i certainly would not wait for a sponsorship to come knocking on the door. You may never achieve your dream if you do. In any case they are so difficult to get into. Along with this they are not really sponsorships as with all of these schemes mentioned above you still end up paying almost the full cost of training.

My advice would be to get the money together as soon as you can and dont worry about sponsorship. If one comes up in the meean time you can still apply.

Best of luck

pre3sg
14th Nov 2005, 16:13
just a quicky,

could anybody tell me of any sponsorship programmes around? I am already aware of the highland airways/air atlantique, and CTC programmes, but are there any others currently running or running in the near future.

Cheers.

FlayinSpanner
16th Nov 2005, 09:36
True sponsorship programmes, in the essence of the word sponsor (you pay nothing) don't exist any more (except one which is listed at the bottom).

At the moment you are looking at the best schemes available. You are going to have to invest something in your training for all of these schemes. For schemes like the CTC you may not have to fork out initially (just guarantee your ability to do so with bonds/cash/security) but you will pay it back eventually when you start earning.

The first time I have seen the words sponsorship in ages was for the Flybe scheme which is currently at phase two selection. This seemed to be a partial sponsorship so you dont have to fork out all your training costs. However, after a few minutes of reading and sums, you realise that you will eventually be paying all the costs back!!

Your best best is to keep your eyes peeled in flight international, regular searching on the compnay internet sites and of course the glamorous, witty and factual pages of pprune.

If your under 25 have a look for the GAPAN J.N Sommers sponsorship. They have already closed for this year, but if your young, then next year is a good chance. GAPAN lists all the info on their website. You can also find plenty more info by using the SEARCH button on your page!!!!!

Good luck to you.

Atreyu
17th Nov 2005, 13:25
funny, i dont remember being told about having to pay anything for the air atlantique sponsorhip I'm now on... ;):P

the Highland/Atlantique scheme are both the only 'sponsorships' left. Bonding applies but hey!

AT

FlayinSpanner
17th Nov 2005, 20:41
Thought I included bonding etc in my post.

Not everyone has access to funds/security to be able to provide security/assets for a bond for flight training costs circa £60 thousand.

P.s. AT, you only posted yesterday about getting your interview, does that mean that you have now been accepted and got a place on the sponsorship scheme? Good luck to you, and I hope the newspapers aren't too heavy!!! :)

Atreyu
17th Nov 2005, 22:26
Yeah I've been accepted. And thanks for the advice! ;) Am really looking forward to it, going to be excellent I'm sure! :D

AT

pre3sg
18th Nov 2005, 23:35
AT,

congrats on getting in with Air Atlantique - just wondering if the sponsorship programme is still open 2006? I got an app form off them last week but won't grauate from uni until may - what u reckon, any point in applying? also what does the selection process involve and what is it like?

Cheers mate.

Atreyu
19th Nov 2005, 16:08
pre3sg, check your PM's

AT

Wireless
20th Nov 2005, 12:02
Atreyu

Welcome aboard mate. Got a start date?

Trainee pilot
20th Nov 2005, 15:02
Try www.britishpilots.co.uk

They have links to SOME sponsorship sites, more on the way they say...............

Aviation kid
20th Nov 2005, 20:06
Hello pre3sg,

I'm a Thomson fly cadet currently training in Jerez. At the moment there are three T'fly courses down here with rumours of another starting next year. The application stage is normally held around April/May and will be advertised in Flight international and on FTE's website.

There are also BA city express courses down here and more planned for the future i'm sure.

Hope this helps, if you need any further info, PM me!

AK:ok:

Atreyu
20th Nov 2005, 22:02
Wireless, I'm told Anywhere between January the 9th and the 30th. What you flying at the moment?

Regards

AT

tommy2k6
1st Dec 2005, 22:27
Hi Guys,

Any chance anyone could give me advice on how to go about getting Sponsorship?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Spongey Brakes
2nd Dec 2005, 10:40
Traditional airline sponsorship pretty much dried up a number of years ago. I suggest you do a search on threads re CTC McAlpine Wings programme. Also look into Air Atlantique "fugglies" (spelling??). Neither of them are sponsorship but probably the closest thing to it. Oxford have been advertising some sort of a programme in association with Excel also. Either that or get to know your bank manager a LOT better. sb

Lee@LPL
10th Feb 2006, 11:30
I live in the northwest of england and i want to be an airline pilot as i am very interested in the field of work. Is there any airlines that will look to sponsor me to teach me to fly?
Regards Moorzee10

adwjenk
10th Feb 2006, 12:29
Hi

The search bar at the top works really well, and so does having a quick read through!!

But in English the simple answer is NO.
What very few schemes there are out there still require you to spend around 60k putting you through the course.
Check the BA Citiexpress Sponsorship thread a bit further down. That’s what sponsorships is nowadays. No airline will pay for everything from start to finish. It all seems to be monitored schemes. In my opinion your lucky if you get your type rating paid for you!!

Good luck

wbryce
10th Feb 2006, 18:27
Lee,

Dont let the overall total cost of training put you off! 60k is a rough figure for Integrated students (full time course), many people as you may or may not know can't afford this (yes i'm one of them!).

Theres another route you can choose which is the modular route! This averagely costs around 40-45k! You pay as you go! Get a job (if you haven't already got one), and use your monthly income to start paying for you PPL! It may take you a few years to get all those ratings but who's counting? Respectable uni courses take 4 years to enter any professional industry. Its taken many prior poor professional pilots (p)longer! ;)

Good luck with what ever you choose.

redhotchilly28
15th Feb 2006, 16:19
Lee,
Dont know what your background is, but there can be ways into aviation without debt.. Schemes such as Air Atlantique or Highland airways both offer cadet schemes, where you are not expected to lay out any money, meaning you are bonded, which is no bad thing, you get training, paid while you do it, and guaranteed a job if successful.. although these are few and far between with certain criteria to fill, its worth a go!
many think that the airline pilot goes straight to a big plane, which would be nice i guess.. but there are jobs out there for the CPL/IR who want to build hours while looking for the illusive airline job!
Hope this helps.
B

howflytrg
15th Feb 2006, 16:44
Lee,

Having spent the last 3 years waiting for the elusive sponsorship, whilst working at the airport in the mean time, and having spent the same time visiting all the major schools, the following is what I feel is the case today.
Your best bet is not to waist any time after completing A levels or uni and get talking with/visiting the schools and find out which school and route (Modular of Integrated) suits you best. It tends to be the case in this day and age that airlines will visit the school, talk to the FI's and find out who the top bods are. There are usually some students who are then interviewed and some, depending on airline requirements, are offered jobs, help with type rating funding, or just the promise of an interview if they score well at the end of the process. Other 'ivy league' schools, such as OAT and Jerez, are in constant contact with airlines and inviting them to the schools to conduct interviews etc with students. Again there are always schemes such as BACX that look promising, but you still have to stump up the full amount and there is no promise of a job at the end of the course.
Having spoken to many frozen ATPL types currently doing 737 efis type ratings the message is go integrated, especially at schools where the main raison d'etre of the school is integrated training. The reaon for this is that modular fills the gaps in class rooms and training hours available. As a result some students feel they are treated like second class citizens by the schools. I believe the CTC scheme with EZY/TCX still exists and as that scheme (whilst heavily subscribed) offers a 'bonding' arrangement after training, I would give that serious thought.
Ciao for now.:ok:

MonarchA330
15th Feb 2006, 19:09
Lee,

The CTC Wings Cadet scheme is alive and well and Id recommend you look at www.ctcaviation.com/wings

Any questions, gimmie a shout

M330

smith
15th Feb 2006, 21:58
Lee

as i am very interested in the field of work.

Good to hear from a youngster in this day and age, most are not interested in the field of work. There should be plenty of jobs in the field of work available, try the Golden Arches.:bored:

bennyboi75
22nd Feb 2006, 15:46
hey to people with knowledge out there
i am 15 and currently looking for future sponsership to be a pilot yet i have had very little success. i don't quite understand how the whole system works with the sponsorship from airlines ect and i am wondering if youall could possibly help me request future sponsoship by teeling me how to do so.
i am very greatfull:)

Gotta_Hope
22nd Feb 2006, 16:09
hi, I'm the same age as you and came onto Pprune with exactly the same questions as you. It didn't take me long to realise that it takes a lot to be accepted onto sponsorship schemes and the chance doesn't just jump into everyone young wannabe pilot's lap - you need very good GCSE and A level grades (if you're in UK) as well as loads more - but even with those things it's still VERY difficult to get onto these sponsorship schemes. I'm not trying to put you off at all, I would still love to be an airline pilot, the same as you do. Sponsorship does always seem to be immediately the best option, but often it isn't. Sometimes you'll go through the training, often around 2 years long I think, with no job at the end of it. Even if you do get a job with the airline straight away you still have to pay back the full cost of training, plus more - it isn't as 'free' as some people will want you to think. You will also be stuck with that airline whether you like it or not for up to 7 years, not a nice thing to have in your contract if you hate working there. Another thing is that there are very few companies doing sponsorship at the moment so there are thousands of applicants for maybe 100-200 places.

Sponsorships can be the best, easiest way to get into airline flying but there are a lot of drawbacks that people don't notice, or don't want to notice, when they first look into the idea.

What I have decided on though, is to get my licences (PPL, CPL and whatever else I might need) at my own pace while working at something other than flying, then get a job instructing, air taxis, sightseeing flights, anything, there are A LOT of jobs for pilots other than at airlines. Then once I have enough hours/experience/licences I'll apply for jobs at airlines *IF* I'm not enjoying my other flying job or if I still see airline flying as a better prospect than the one I have then.

Reading through this it does look like I'm a miserable goon who just wants to run down everyone's hopes, I'm not, its just that by reading other threads on this site that I would probably be better off taking another flying job when qualified while building up experience to take that airline job I eventually want. I believe 'direct entry' pilots are much better off in the long run than those taking the sponsorships.

Hope that helps.

Andy_R
22nd Feb 2006, 18:14
Gotta Hope that has to be one of the most mature, well thought out posts I have seen from a wannabee in a long long time. From a 15 year old to boot (that is not meant to sound patronising!). You deserve a lot of luck :ok:

bennyboi75
22nd Feb 2006, 19:38
thanx a lot GOTTA HOPE uhave made me look at it in a different perspective. i currently go to boarding school and my predictied grades range from an A* to B my main subject being maths and i often go for flying lessons in a grub so far about 3hours woulgn't that count for any thing and what are the prices for these licences ect:confused:

scroggs
22nd Feb 2006, 20:40
Chaps, I'm sorry to tell you that there are currently NO sponsorships, in the sense that someone else pays for your training. There are assisted schemes, where costs are paid by a pre-arranged bank loan in your name (which you have to repay), and there are a few partial sponsorships, where a (small) proportion of the costs are borne by an airline. And then there is the system that most people use: they find the money themselves.

Sponsorships have gone, at least in UK. They are unlikely to return in numbers of any significance.

Scroggs

Danny_manchester
22nd Feb 2006, 22:51
Yeah Gotta hope, respect to you young sir.

Basicaly, i do subjects which i am good at, chemistry, biology, psychology, mathematics and physics. However, if i were to get 5 streight A's - then nobody would take a glance at my O level results.

Wait untill you are into college untill you start to stress yourself out with all these 'looking for sponsorship' ideas, as in my opinion, these ideas will become a burden.

If you contact companies saying that you are still in school - they will probably just fob you off with some 'try applying in 2 or 3 years time' rubbish, just the way life is.

Danny_manchester
22nd Feb 2006, 22:58
As for the cost of the licenses, for a PPL, what £5-6000?

minimum 45 hours flying, so you are 6.6666666666666666666666666666667% there!

The only GCSE grades which will be looked at (if you dont do the subjects to A level) will be physics, mathematics and english lang. probably minimum of BBC.

There is a university course which is 3or4 :confused: years in length, which takes the student from 0 hours to CPL/IR (fATPL), have a search, its on here somewhere. Enterance requirements are like CC (which is easy peasy!!!)

Capt Mick
22nd Feb 2006, 23:08
Don't listen to these guys who tell you, you need good grades to become a pilot. I failed maths in my final exams in school and never did physics !! I trained at OAT and passed all my exams there. I am now a Captin of an Airbus 321 with over 8000 flying hours ! All i will say follow your dream and you will find some way of paying for your training !

Good luck

scroggs
23rd Feb 2006, 07:12
Is there no way you can make it a "sticky" that sponsorships are few and far between. Posts about sponsorships are getting rather annoying now, especially when you are a self sponsored student. Do these sponsorhip haggs really expect us self sponsored wannabes to tell them how to jump the queue in front of us? ....... I DONT THINK SO!!!!
Make it a sticky ...... NOW!!!! :yuk:

Really, Smith? You're a self-sponsored wannabe who'd have nothing to do with sponsorships should one drift your way? Really? So how come you posted this:Yes got the letter thiss morning, I passed and am through to the next stage of selection. at 14:45 on 21st February on the Highland Airways thread on Interviews, Jobs and Sponsorships? Trying to pull up the ladder behind you, perchance?

After your recent comment about Moderators on the OBA thread, you are treading a fine line. Don't push it.

Scroggs

smith
23rd Feb 2006, 07:39
Apologies to all, have deleted the post.

ANDRE25i
23rd Feb 2006, 09:12
i am 15 and currently looking for ....

When was your birthday? Because according to your name/details section; your 16. Do you know your age? Because at this rate your chances of getting sponsorship into an airline are mediocre. :ooh: :ouch:
good luck though :ok:

nunc est bibendum

ANDRE25i
23rd Feb 2006, 09:29
Captain Mick; your advice is pathetic.
Naturally in order to be selected and qualify for an airlines' cadetship/sponsorship scheme you need good/excellent grades and health and fitness.
For someone who is 15/16; it is imperative to focus on your priorities being school; and getting good grades. Simultaneously; get yourself involved as much as you can. I was a school vice-captain at my school. You need to show leadership qualities. In such a highly competitive process; every point counts; palpably; so getting good grades is important. Although; those alone will def not guarantee you a place on a cadet program. There not looking for rocket scientists; just highly motivated people who have got the brains; and are willing to have a beer at the end of the day. At the end of the day; its those that want it the most that get it. :ok:
I dont suppose you got into a cadetship did you. :hmm: Your advice; considering you have 8000hrs under your belt; might not be the most precise and relevant. Things continually change; today it is even more competitive than 10 yrs ago; hence it is wise to talk to people who have recently done the training program; and made it through. :)

For those aspiring youngsters; aviation is a competitive industry; dont believe everything you hear. From posts I've read; you can tell there lots of shannanigans around. ;)

cheers

Capt Mick
23rd Feb 2006, 09:53
ANDRE25i,

You were always going to disagree with me because your from Australia

ANDRE25i
23rd Feb 2006, 10:04
So the Qantas Cadet Pilot Training Program doesn't require the same amount of input as one in Europe?
The principles are the same. "Being from Australia" doesn't signify a great deal; especially considering ive lived in Europe half my life!:} :)
Its a small world mate!

cheers

scroggs
23rd Feb 2006, 10:15
It is perfectly true that there are many airline pilots who don't have particularly good educational qualifications. It's also true that all of us who aren't academically well qualified (yes, I include myself) were bloody lucky to get in to flying at a time when, or by a route where, these things weren't as important as they are now.

If you are at school and are hoping to begin pilot training soon after you leave there or university (for which you'll need good grades anyway), you will do yourself no favours by not doing the best you can to get good grades. Many of you will be aiming for one of the various CTC schemes, or one of the few part-sponsorships that exist, or the OAT APP scheme. All of these require good qualifications from their young applicants, as does the direct-entry route into many airlines. If you've been around the block a few times and have a history of work, academics are less important - but not unimportant!

Don't make it unnecessarily difficult for yourself; do your very best to get the highest grades you can at school, college or university.

Scroggs

Capt Mick
23rd Feb 2006, 14:31
Good Grades mean nothing ! If your passionate about flying and you really want to become an airline pilot then you will become one ! Dont listen to that ejit ANDRE25i !

Regards

Danny_manchester
23rd Feb 2006, 17:12
I think, some people see the 'dream' job in becoming a pilot, you don't really need brilliant grades to become one, high pay, such as a doctor who has been through years at university - and all you really need is a good few licenses, which you might not eaven have to shell out for. To a teenager it seems like a dream job, and i would guess there are kids on here reading up on 'how easy' it is to become one, and seriously slack off at school.

There has been many a discussion on the education required to become a pilot ..... at the end of the day, who do you want representing YOUR airline? Exactly, you want a good pilot who is educated. (unlike a few off the shock horror 'ryanair' thingymajig).

You can't get anywhere in life without an education, certainly not into a highly paid career, with lots of responsibility.

If people are going to give advice, give facts, and give the 'wanna b pilots' a real chance.

rob152
23rd Feb 2006, 18:01
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add my view. I didnt do particularly well at school and I am now 25 yrs old and in the last 4 months of studying for a HND in Aeronautical Engineering, something that I'm proud to have almost achieved!

I think its important to have determination and belief in what you want to achieve, we all go through different experiences in life and I'd like to think that becoming an airline pilot is still within my grasp. I can now appreciate the value of a good education and I spend alot of time wishing I could go back and do myself justice but regretting what I didnt do isnt going to get me where I want.

Yes of course doing as well as you possibly can in secondary education and even beyond is important but having the right personality and drive, to some extent, is probably equally important. I may have a disadvantage due to my poor academic credentials and I can only hope that my HND will help my case slightly but I still have the belief that, one day, I will be making my living as a professional pilot. I dont care how I do it but Im damn sure Ill be finding a way and I wont be give up no matter what set backs I encounter and, in my opinion, thats an important attitude to have.

So if you can do well at school then brilliant, its certainly worth the time and effort. If not, well dont think for one second that your dream is over because it isnt. If you want it bad enough you WILL find a way!

I cant believe Chelsea lost :{

Rob152

ANDRE25i
23rd Feb 2006, 23:20
Captain Mick please dont forget this is a professional pilot forum; and hence there lies no need to be immature. :}
Your practically saying good grades are useless! That is without a shadow of doubt a pathetic statement in regards to somebody at school attempting to qualify for a cadetship. And even if they dont want to be a pilot; or whatever; good grades are still important for university and future resume; but more importantly; self-esteem. They render you greater confidence; and can help you to achieve what you want to achieve! :)

Grades though aren't the "do or die" of getting selected; you need to get yourself involved. Do extra curricular activities; develop leadership; obtain a part time job...... the list goes on. Those that want it most get it. :ok:

I would have thought this was all common knowledge these days. Its pretty palpable isn't it?

take it easy guys, cheers ;)

OBK!
24th Feb 2006, 18:11
Capt Mick

You're doing an incredibly crap job of making out you're an airline pilot. Fool.

ANDRE25i
25th Feb 2006, 07:46
Yeah I know; I was seriously doubting whether he officially had the title of airline pilot.

iankay1999
22nd Mar 2006, 16:34
Hopefully I've addressed this to the right forum.
This question probably gets asked a lot… So I'll keep it simple!
Can a newly qualified JAR-PPL pilot get sponsorship at the age of 36 towards becoming an airline pilot?

Thanks
iankay1999

mcgoo
22nd Mar 2006, 17:16
no chance!!

Re-Heat
22nd Mar 2006, 17:55
There are no sponsorships that pay for your training costs - they are approved schemes under which you provide your own funding, or managed financing whereby you are liable for the training costs that are fully deductible from salary.

Any that remain are age limited in general; the only one is Air Atlantique, for which I have no information. GAPAN scholarships and the like have upper age limits of around 26, and the same applies to non-UK EU airline sponsorships such as Air France.

dwshimoda
22nd Mar 2006, 18:44
Use the search function - and find the answer:

No
No
No
No

Join everyone else of a certain age who is funding their own training, there's now ay round it - sorry! :ok:

CaptYanknBank
24th Mar 2006, 14:20
Quite frankly, having paid many 1000's of £'s for my training over the years working mega overtime whilst managing to buy a house and raise a family, the demise of sponsorships is not a sad thing in my eyes....:ouch:
CY&B

A320rider
24th Mar 2006, 15:42
yes. it is possible.

sponsore yourself!!!

40000 pounds for a cpl,IR, MCC
40000 for a T/R + 500hours

total 80'000 pounds(+living cost not included).
+4 or 5 years of gain lost and still NO JOB!!!

Andrew_s
25th Mar 2006, 09:13
May be this question have been already disscused, but anyway...
Could anybody tell me about actual programms. I have big interest for aviation and experience in self flying on simulators (non PC) B737,A320, ERJ and passed all real pilot training programms.

JamesTigris
26th Mar 2006, 15:21
I'm a little unclear on exactly what you're asking... What experience is it exactly that you do have when you say you've "passed all real pilot training programms"?

If this is a first serious look into real flying training after simulation then I would recommend a browse through http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

The reality is that there is pretty much no chance of having anyone pay for your flying training in some sort of Cadet scheme anymore. Any that do exsist place the financial liability firmly on the student (ie borrow the money from somone in a variety of creative guises) and costs can vary hugely from £25,000 anywhere up to £70,000.

I hope the reply was usefull, but if I've totally missed where you're coming from then sorry!

wingsmcc
29th May 2006, 09:56
Hi there, i'm new to this site and was just wondering where I could find info on airlines which are doing full sponsorships ab initio. I remember BA used to do one but do they still do it?

Any info would be much appreciated
Thanks

bjkeates
29th May 2006, 11:07
Basically there are none. BA's Cadet scheme is long gone - the airlines just don't have the resources these days to provide them. Even part-sponsorships like Highland Airways and Atlantic require you to have a PPL before you start.

There is CTC Wings, which is sponsored but will require you to pay all your training costs back eventually through your salary; however, it's very difficult to get on to (success rate is ~3% of those that apply.)

There's masses of information on this site which will help you out. As a friendly piece of advice, people will be more willing to help you if you thoroughly research all the available information yourself and then come back with questions rather than expecting it to be "spoon-fed". Have a look at the sticky thread in the "Professional Pilot Training" forum - that's an excellent place to start.

wingsmcc
29th May 2006, 11:13
thanks very much- your advice is just what I needed!

World of Tweed
29th May 2006, 17:08
Not sure if anyone I've missed the boat in so far as replying on this thread but here a few rumours that might be of interest.

Jerez is fast filling up with both UK airline 'mentored' cadets (tfly, BACON, FlyBE) and MEA's sponsored cadets. Also the remaining sef-sponsored guys are quickly being snapped up by BACON, GB and Flybe soon after Grad.

Word on the street is that BA may well struggle to recruit the numbers of SSP low houred guys sufficient for its needs over the next few years. Certainly it is becoming difficult to accurately predict the number of Suitable "Potentials" from the free-market integrated school "pilot pool".
Given that many pupils may well already be ear-marked for another airline.

In short it is believed they are considering starting some form of Cadet Pilot scheme again in the future. When it will be and of what "Future Size and Shape" (drole I know) this will be is anyones guess however one cannot rule out sponsorship in some form particularly as this widens the pool of prospective employees beyond just those who can afford it.

So food for thought....

I post this to provide another opinion albeit based on fairly firm rumours. Sponsorship may not be dead as some would have you believe and may well be on the return. So what if its not 100% why should it be? One should at least be willing to invest some risk of your own.

I sincerely believe that all may not be lost for those seeking a sponsorship but I leave with this note (taken from literature about BAs cadet scheme circa 1999):

"over 60000 applicants for 200 places"

Those are tough odds no matter how you read it.

scroggs
30th May 2006, 09:06
'Sponsorships', of whatever variety, have involved a degree of funding from the student for very many years. If not directly up-front, then as a salary sacrifice of some kind - though, in days gone by, people used to accept that a new pilot was worth less than an experienced one and didn't try to insist that they ought to be paid the same as an established FO from day one!

It is certainly true that the supply of fresh pilots to the industry is, at last, something like in balance with the demand, and thus airlines (including BA) are having to grab the people they want at an earlier stage than in the recent past. Whether that situation continues, or even improves (from a wannabe's point of view) is entirely crystal ball territory! As stock markets have discovered in recent days, even when things seem to be going well, nasty surprises can happen.

Assuming the industry continues to forecast steady expansion over the next few years, it is highly likely that BA (and others) will reintroduce some kind of cadet scheme. As I've said many times before, any such schemes are likely to be on the CTC model where the airline contracts out its training to a specialist provider, and the financial risk is (at least nominally) taken by the student rather than the airline.

Scroggs

IwannaBflying
5th Jun 2006, 22:18
so does anyone actually know of any company running/going to offer sponsorship oportunities???? just completed class 1 med, and done pilapt and all that!

Daultonio
31st Jul 2006, 15:51
Hello all

Iam to uni for my studying to be an airline pilot as we all know it cost alot of money (£60,000) just interested if there are any airlines out there that are doing a sponsership, does anyone know thanks alot

Mister-Sheep
31st Jul 2006, 16:04
Hi
Yeah there are plenty doing semi-sponsorship schemes. Look at www.flighttrainingeurope.com (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com) and you will find they have the thomsonfly one on at the moment. They regularly have some kind of sponsorship going. However, the largest' sponsorship' these days is www.ctcaviation.com (http://www.ctcaviation.com). There are plently of other schemes going such as highland airways at the moment + the GAPAN scholarship next year (almost impossible to get though). Keep a close eye out on here and you will find all the schemes going. However, with the exception of the GAPAN scholarship they all require you to pay vast amounts of money (upwards of £60,000) Gone are the days of BA full sponsorship. However, if you study the industry carefully you will soon realise how precious getting any of these schemes actually is.

cheers

Mister-Sheep

Lucifer
31st Jul 2006, 17:06
Nobody does anything resembling a scholarship (unless you are a Far Eastern/Gulf national in some cases). Current "mentored", or CTC, are the best and closest you will get.

tailwheel76
8th Aug 2006, 15:17
Does anyone have any info on sponsorships, either part or full, for professional training, ie Groundschool & CPL/ME/IR, that is not airline related such as CTC, Tfly, Easyjet etc?

I already know of GAPAN and the Air League.

Has anyone had any experience of the sponsorship and would be willing to let me know how it worked. Specifically selection, training arrangments, how many apply, contracts etc. Please PM me if you prefer.

The search didn't throw up anything obvious.

Thanks.

scroggs
8th Aug 2006, 21:10
Not airline related? Apart from the RAF, you've named them, I reckon.

Scroggs

tailwheel76
8th Aug 2006, 22:45
Thanks Cesco, but I'm trying to find schemes that do not have an airline link, how they are funded and organised.

garywoodrow
3rd Sep 2006, 13:02
Hi, i was just wondering, don't mean to be nosy or anything, but i was hoping if you got a sponsership in the past few years, what qualifications they accepted you with.

Thanks

Gary

JetSetJ
3rd Sep 2006, 16:58
Hi there,

Sponsorship schemes are a thing of the past. However a number of fto's are providing sponsorship type schemes. Probabily the closest thing to a sponsorship scheme is a course being offered at Oxford Aviation on behalf of Excel Airways. I would recommend taking a look at the OAT home page and clicking on the engine of the excel airways 767 on the home page:8

http://www.oxfordaviation.net/excel/index.htm

Flight training europe have offered a type of scheme but your best option is probabily the oat scheme!! I'd recommend taking at look at their website too:

www.flighttrainingeurope.com (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com)

Hope this helps

JetSetJ:ok:

Xraider
5th Sep 2006, 12:23
Hi there,
I am thinking about starting a PPL course, whilst working, with the aim of eventually getting sponsorship from an airline. I am 21 with 2 and a half a-levels (Physics, Chemistry and sociology) at grade C's. I have a confirmed place at Uni studying physics. With the A-levels I have (and hopefully a PPL within the next 12 months) would i have a realsitic chance of gaining sponsorship from an airline? Or would it be better off go to uni, getting a degree and trying then (Bearing in mind I'll be nearly 26 if i did that).

Thanks in advance
Sam

The Mixmaster
5th Sep 2006, 13:01
I couldn't tell you about whether the airlines would prefer you to have a degree or not, all I'll say is having been to uni and currently applying for sponsorship schemes...you should defo go to uni. It's a wicked laugh, you'll meet all kinds of new people and you'll have a degree to fall back on if the industry has a downturn and you're out of a job. See if your university has an Air Squadron, seems like a good way to gain your PPL while you're studying.

Also surely you'll only be 24/25 when you finish if you're starting this september. I'm 23 and it hasn't been a disadvantage at all, if anything i'd say being in your mid twenties is an advantage. :ok:

planeshipcar
4th Oct 2006, 18:38
I'm literally pulling my hair out. I have to find the full amount to pay for my CPLMEIR. I have my PPL and have started my Bristol Ground School. Does anyone know of a school in the Uk or anywhere in the world offering a JAA course and also a full loan to cover this. I have already used a career development loan so this is out of the question.

pleased if anyone can help

Lucifer
4th Oct 2006, 18:44
You have to wait and save - if you are at the limits of your finance already, think what could happen if interest rates rise, or you are unemployed for a period of time and need to fund a type rating as well.

To borrow beyond your means is entirely irresponsible, regardless of your motivation towards the career.

mikehammer
4th Oct 2006, 19:05
The short answer is DO NOT under any circumstances pay for your flight training up front. If you do so you risk losing the lot if you FTO goes bust before you finish.

It happens - has happened to a lot of people on this site, me for one.

ramshorn
4th Oct 2006, 21:37
Hi

I know of a reputable Flight school who do Modular training, and are approved by the CAA, who are starting to help arrange preferential loans for their students with some arrangement with one of the major high street banks. You'll have to PM me for the details as i think this would probably be erased by the moderators for advertising.
;)

MarkColeman
22nd Oct 2006, 17:06
Sponsorship is a term i hear regularly here, can anyone tell me what exactly it entails as reguards aviation job hunting?

Thanks.

Mo91
25th Nov 2006, 19:20
Hi
This maybe a stupid question but i'd appreciate it very much if someone could please respond appropriately. I would like to know why, back in the day, sponsorship schemes were rife (compared to the numbers available now). Was this because there was a shortage in pilots...even though that seems unlikely...
Anyways I'm very confudled and could do with help.
Thanks in advance.:ok:

miikey
26th Nov 2006, 21:29
hey all,:)

A career as a pilot is my only career goal. I cant join the RAF because i dont have 20/20 vision and well as we all know getting that job in the left seat wont come cheap if i do it on my own.
So im now researching into these sponsorship deals,

A bit of a trivial question ; how does it work and will i have to pay back? Basically what are the Pros and Cons of going this way

Lucifer
27th Nov 2006, 09:03
This maybe a stupid question but i'd appreciate it very much if someone could please respond appropriately. I would like to know why, back in the day, sponsorship schemes were rife (compared to the numbers available now). Was this because there was a shortage in pilots...even though that seems unlikely...
There is never a stupid question. Back in those days, airlines were far less financially responsible (especially where they were once state-owned), combined with healthy profits, which meant that the cost base was never really studied.

The advance of lo-cos, and active shareholders who care a great deal about how their money is spent has eliminated all sponsorships, and trainees have shown a willingness to spend their own money instead.

Pity, but it forces everyone to make decisions with greater regard for the finances these days.

capt.
27th Nov 2006, 09:20
hi, i dont know if this will help anyone but atlantic airlines regularly do a full sponsorship, the requirements are that you have to be aged between 18 and 26 with a class 1 medical, driving license and ppl. check there website out ;)

Mark3618
21st Dec 2006, 10:22
Hi,

Does anyone know if there will be any new sponsorship opportunities coming up in 2007?

Thanks!

Mark. :)

jamestkirk
21st Dec 2006, 10:29
I certainly hope not. There a a few of us F ATPL'd up without jobs.

But nothing would surprise me. I am sure the academics at some airlines would say " know there are thousands of trained pilot out there but would'nt it be economic sense to spends thousands training un trained ones".

Sorry that doe not help you. But to redeem myself. I am aware that recently that flybe have done some ab-initio sponsorship selection. Someone else may be in a better position to give you the details

Superpilot
21st Dec 2006, 11:11
Expect another bunch of "Mentored" Pilot Training Schemes. The kind that Excel, Thomas Cook, BACX, FlyBE and Tfly have launched recently in conjunction with OATs and FTE.

Nothing sponsored about it and the mentoring is not all that useful if they can't guarantee you a job which they don't!

Mark3618
21st Dec 2006, 14:18
Okay thanks for the info guys :)

I will keep a look out on all the main sites (BA,Excel,Monarch...etc) throughout the year though. Otherwise its gonna take me about 10 years to save up for the ATPL because I have only just finished uni :p lol.

Thanks

Mark.

Mooney12
21st Dec 2006, 16:17
The CTC Wings scheme is near as damn it full sponsorship

Doesn't really feel like that to me when every 4th of the month a hefty £1064 is removed from my account.....:{ gutting every month....Mortgage companies don't seem to like it either...don't know why...

Best your going to get these days though. Sponsorships don't exist anymore and won't be making a comeback. They make no market sense and are far too risky for airlines. Pre-selection is the best you can hope for.

bluepeely
21st Dec 2006, 17:45
They'll at be at it in the year no doubt. Hand over in exess of £60000 and not be guarenteed a job after it :ugh:
I am also offering the same type of Sponsorship for 60K, still with no guarentees, i accept cash only though:uhoh:

Will88
21st Dec 2006, 18:40
I certainly hope not. There a a few of us F ATPL'd up without jobs.
But nothing would surprise me. I am sure the academics at some airlines would say " know there are thousands of trained pilot out there but would'nt it be economic sense to spends thousands training un trained ones".
Sorry that doe not help you. But to redeem myself. I am aware that recently that flybe have done some ab-initio sponsorship selection. Someone else may be in a better position to give you the details
Why do you "certainly hope not"?

Just because you have had to pay for your own training, does that mean everyone else should as well?

Seems to me like a fairly petty and bitter way to think... :hmm:

ZuluWhiskey
21st Dec 2006, 22:19
Mark,

If you're looking for ATPL sponsorships in 2007, try Highland Airways, Air Atlantique and Aeros Flight Training; these are the only genuine sponsorship schemes left in the UK.

Hope this news isn't as damaging to you as it may be to some people.

All the best
ZW

Vee One...Rotate
22nd Dec 2006, 12:29
Although sponsorships in the truest sense of the word are largely non-existent in the UK, some of the "mentored" schemes can offer fairly significant financial benefits once you start working for the airline in question (yes, I know, job offers at the start of training are essentially provisional).

Obviously the finer details of each scheme have to be poured over but most of these schemes are worth applying for. Every little helps...

V1R

dartagnan
23rd Dec 2006, 21:02
I think the time of sponsorship is over and the only way to become a pilot, is to sponsor yourself.

just look at the websites selling tickets for 40-60 euros(or even 1 euro), if an airline start to sponsor wanabees, they are not going to be competitive.

i am a pilot, and the last job I have found was on the airbus320, I have to pay for my own training if I want fly the 320.

aviation has always been more and more expensive.regrettably it is a job for rich kids.

sagaris
23rd Dec 2006, 23:36
Again, Dartaganan being his usual self, everyone mocks him, hes a bitter jobless moron with no appreciation for the current market.

He's clearly missing the point as the Tfly and TCX sponsorship cadets actually dont have to pay for their TRs. In both cases they are bonded for a couple of years and have a massive financial advantage in the form of tax allowance. Contact the FTOs for details but it is apparent to all that the saving is about 30k in tax plus the TR which isnt paid for.

Albeit over a few years one wont notice the benefit, but from an outsiders point of view.... a lot of money.

You have to stump up the cash initially, but these 'tagged' schemes ensure that they contribute significantly towards paying the loan off.

Hope this helps,

Aim high and its all yours.

dartagnan
24th Dec 2006, 09:12
sagaris, why don't you join them??I know how this market works!like you say there are very few airlines who bond pilots(mainly in UK)and the selection is very hard, but the majority of airlines(the LCC) in europe don't(since years ago).so are we all some jobeless morons in this case?

high-hopes
24th Dec 2006, 10:36
Why do you "certainly hope not"?

Just because you have had to pay for your own training, does that mean everyone else should as well?

Seems to me like a fairly petty and bitter way to think... :hmm:

Everybody, with the exception of military pilots, has to pay for their own training, whether you like it or not, whether you pay in advance or in installments.
If you find aircraft available for hire for free, let me know. But I sincerely doubt it.

It's not a rich man's game. Everybody is looking at 60k because that's the costs at Oxford or CTC.
You can get your ATPL with IR with about 30 grand these days. If you want it in 6 months, yeah it will cost you a lot.
If flying is a lifetime ambition and maybe you can do it over 5 or 6 years, it will cost you 5 grand a year, which is probably less than the running costs of a sporty car, petrol and insurance.

It's all about priorities

h-h

Will88
26th Dec 2006, 20:11
Everybody, with the exception of military pilots, has to pay for their own training, whether you like it or not, whether you pay in advance or in installments.

If you think that, you haven't looked hard enough.

silverknapper
26th Dec 2006, 20:33
Well said ZW. I was wondering how long someone would take to mention the 'little' people who are still sponsoring people, but seem to have people queuing up to slate them.

TheOne83
27th Dec 2006, 10:27
During this last 2 or 3 years Oxford Aviation had assesments tests to enter for a sponsorship scheme with Thomas Cook, ExcelAirways.. If you succed on the assesments you will start the training with OAT.. After training the an completition the trainees started with thoose airlines. :ok:
OAT also provides you with a good "after care service" (if we can call it like that) even if you just go and do the ATPL integrated program with them they will help you to get your first jobb. I have been there twice and have seen the students very happy with the school.

If i don't remember wrong this year over 150 students have gone to airlines and started their flying :)

check the web http://www.oxfordaviation.net

Take care;

/niko

bluepeely
27th Dec 2006, 11:39
Ah another poor bunny dazzled by the very bright headlights of oxford............ :ugh:

TheOne83
27th Dec 2006, 12:47
Ah another poor bunny dazzled by the very bright headlights of oxford............ :ugh:

Poor bunny?? You talked to soon, the guy was asking where he could get sponsorship and i replied to that and gave my comments about the school. Everyone knows it's a very good school and everyone knows that it's extremly expensive and that the name of the school it self makes alot of impression to many because of the reputation of Oxford, but that is not going to decide if you will get a jobb later or not. ;)

And by the way the "poor bunny dazzled by the bright headlights" is not going to Oxford!! :8

Mo91
29th Dec 2006, 17:40
Hello there
I would like to know how airlines such as Easyjet and Flybe seperate applicants for sponsorhip schemes like the ones they are running at current. What distinguishes one applicant from another? Would it be Education; previous flight experience; job at an airport or similar.
Responses would be as welcome as always.
Thanks in advance:ok:

Vee One...Rotate
3rd Jan 2007, 22:40
I'm fortunate to have secured a place on a sponsorship scheme and those who were successful have fairly varied backgrounds.

Education-wise, some have degrees (generally technical e.g. physics, computer science, etc.), others have A levels (the minimum educational requirements were a maths and science A level).

Flying-wise, all have some experience. Some have PPLs (or hours towards them - the minimum experience was 12 hours), others have hours gained through military elementary flying training or instructing on gliders.

Work-wise, most have at least a year or two of work experience (everything from education to sales to engineering to the military).

Age-wise, the youngest is 22, the oldest 29, the average age being in the mid-20s.

The selection was fairly industry standard - a couple of short essay questions, aptitude and personality tests, group exercises and a couple of interviews.

There doesn't seem to be a model profile on paper - the assessors seem to look at the whole package. My gut feeling is that the real deciders are (once the selection criteria have been met) the group exercises and interviews in the later stages of selection, where your 'soft' skills are looked at.

Very general I know, and specific to my experiences and one particular scheme, but maybe useful.

All the best,

V1R :ok:

scroggs
4th Jan 2007, 08:46
Who is sponsoring you, and how much is that sponsorship worth?

Scroggs

Vee One...Rotate
4th Jan 2007, 12:56
Well, as has been discussed before, the word "sponsored" is often a bit of a misnomer in the current climate - maybe "mentored" is better.

It is the Thomas Cook scheme at OAT and involves completing the standard APP FO course with a conditional offer of employment after training. Last year's cadets have recently received TR dates and basings and are soon to finish at OAT.

Those who required a loan to finance the cost of the course could borrow the full course cost from HSBC (who view the scheme as posing less risk to them) whereas usually there would be a £10k shortfall between the maximum loan available and the course cost. Other than TCX-specific SOPs taught in the JOC section, a jumpseat trip after the IR and a visit or two to the company facilities, the course is identical to the standard APP FO course.

On completion, TCX pays for the 757 TR (there is a 2-year associated bond). Cadets then receive a basic salary of c. £21k plus £12k tax-free per year (for the first 7 years). With other odds and ends this will probably total c. £35k p/a but only the £21k is taxed (at the associated rate). The £21k salary rises by c. £2-4k per year over the first 7 years.

Leaving before the 7-year period is up will obviously mean the loss of the £12k tax-free per year.

Cheers,

V1R

scroggs
4th Jan 2007, 13:09
OK, that answers my question. Not a sponsorship, as you say, but a speculative course at your own risk with preferential finance terms - as long as you pass!. Out of interest, what are the repayment conditions should you fail at a late stage of the course?

Scroggs

Vee One...Rotate
4th Jan 2007, 14:10
Yes, the saving (if you can call it that!) is that the loan repayments are made from £21k taxed + £12k tax-free as opposed to a salary of £33k taxed.

I'm insured against loss of life and medical but if I was unable to complete the course, OAT would pay back (I'd have to look up the specifics) monies paid for training not completed. I'd of course still be liable for the loan balance after that had happened - normally 6 months of grace is given after graduation before repayments are due but this may not apply in this case - negotiation would no doubt be possible. A parental guarantee is also in place as a final safety net but this was a requirement of the loan and I'd rob an old lady (well, several!) before this was called in.

If I failed a section and significantly delayed the completion of the course (i.e. my progress was unsatisfactory), I'd imagine this would no doubt jeopordise my chances with TCX. In which case (assuming completion) I'd graduate as per everybody else but in a potentially worse situation financially as I'd have a higher loan amount to pay back.

Daunting stuff but a means to an end. There's of course a risk but it's manageable!

Regards,

V1R :)

BobbyK
4th Jan 2007, 14:52
Out of interest do you know how much sector pay you will get on top of that 21k? Seems quite low even though you have the 12k tax free as well. Was wondering if they maybe have better sector pay than some airlines to give you extra money

Rob

Wazzoo
4th Jan 2007, 21:41
a speculative course at your own risk [...] as long as you pass!

I think that description cover pretty much any form of training towards a fATPL, these days whether it be semi-sponsored/mentored/off your own back/modular/integrated, bar the difference in costs for the different routes.

You can debate the various merits of each route, but either way its always going to be some what speculative, most definately at your own risk, and down to you to put the work in to pass! Some routes may be cheaper, some
may offer better prospects at the end, some may even be linked with an airline but all the above still apply.

Vee One...Rotate
5th Jan 2007, 10:28
BobbyK,

I've sent you a PM.

V1R

sam026
5th Jan 2007, 12:46
HI all,

I have searched in the internet and found that Many companies offers sponsorships But to their native citizens. I am from india...aged 26 years.

Is ther any one who is going to offer sponsorship to indians......

Could any one plz help me in this.

tom89
5th Jan 2007, 15:28
Singapore?

TheOne83
5th Jan 2007, 16:24
I don't think only native citizens, if you have the right to live and work in EU, you can still come over if i'm not wrong.. During the training you should get a visum and if you get work a green card or something. Not pretty shure but check this link and try to contact them, ask questions..

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Jobs/Pilot/pilotrecruitment_cadetsponsorshipscheme.html

One of the requierments is;

Nationality: You must be able to prove your unrestricted legal right to live and work in the EU and have no reason to believe that you will not be accepted for training in New Zealand.

Good luck! :ok:

/niko

french frog
5th Jan 2007, 16:24
try king fisher,

I 've heard somwhere, they had opened
last year in brussels a sponsorship for indian
students.

Good luck,
MD

Left Wing
7th Jan 2007, 00:50
http://www.indianpilots.com/forum/

ali_jafar_zaidi
10th Jan 2007, 06:13
Hi everyone, I am 17 and I recently applied for a Flying Scholarship.

To win the sponsorship, I have to convince the Selection Board that I deserve the sponsorship and i would make good use of it.

I have to prove this by attending the interview and by a written statement.

All i can say is that i have always wanted to be a pilot and this scholarship will make me closer to my dream.

But this is not enough to convince them

Can anyone please give me some hints/tip and advise me about what i should write in the statement and say at the interview.

Thanks

colette
10th Jan 2007, 13:11
Just wondering if its the Gapan PPL sponsorship or something else?!

Well if you personally feel that you deserve the sponsorship then you must have a reason why you think that!

Think about it, probably everyone that applys is going to have the same story "All ive ever wanted is to be a pilot.. blah blah" and the board who are selecting are going to have heard the same story over and over again so you need an edge.
What have you done to foster your interest in aviation? What ways have you showed commitment and dedication to your chosen career path? Have you suffered any setbacks on your way? You need to convince them if you fall at the first hurdle you're not just going to jack it in.
All the best,
C :)

cs03dmj
10th Jan 2007, 16:19
All,

I'm a 22 year-old university student, due to complete my Computer Science degree in June this year. I completed a PPL back in November, and am now determined to find a career in aviation and would appreciate any sensible, related advice.

At school, I had several hours flying gliders and the Bulldog with the CCF. At university, I joined the University Air Squadron and went solo with the Grob Tutor. Obtaining mostly grade 1's for my flying (fast jet), I was soon asked to make a commitment to the RAF - a commitment I couldn't make as a military career was not for me.

As with many others, I am keen to fly with the big-boys such as BA or Virgin, but am totally unable to afford the money required to obtain an ATPL. Does my experience and age lend well to a scholarship or similar? What are my best options?

scroggs
10th Jan 2007, 17:37
Virgin do not employ inexperienced pilots, and currently have no corporate interest in sponsorships (despite some rumours to the contrary). For each job available, Virgin can guarantee several hundred experienced and qualified applicants.

British Airways discontinued their Cadet sponsorship scheme in 2001. Since then, they have adopted a policy of obtaining their (small) ab-initio intake directly from the graduating courses of the Integrated schools. No investment is required on their part, and they get plenty of people. It seems unlikely they'll need to alter this policy. The majority of their intake is pilots with between 500 and 3000 hours, mostly already qualified on BA types.

Sponsorship - in the sense that someone else pays for your training - is essentially dead.

Scroggs

SingSong
10th Jan 2007, 18:17
sadly cs03dmj, i fear you have very little chance of getting any of the big boys to sponsor you. like most wannabe pilots (most also can't afford their ATPL's) you'll need to find some way of sponsoring yourself through an integrated ATPL course, and start with the small boys, before you can end up on the big boys.

Cabair, CTC, FTE, AFT (and many more) Flight training schools provide solid bases with which to launch your career, CTC is the closest to a sponsorship, but it still requires you to pay the course fees. A few of the very small airlines (but good) do still sponsor , but you'd be up against an awful lot of competition for 1-2 spots.

the fact is while airlines need pilots (yes they do) there are so many people with ATPL's and minimal hours around that the companies have no real need to sponsor new pilots. They save 50k by taking fresh self sponsored graduates.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

boeingbus2002
10th Jan 2007, 18:47
cs03dmj
What did you mean when you said
"Obtaining mostly grade 1's for my flying (fast jet)"
Do the UAS now include fast jet flying into the elementary flying sylabus?!
I know of some who got an experience flight in a Jet, however often it was just the one flight.

cs03dmj
11th Jan 2007, 08:38
Do the UAS now include fast jet flying into the elementary flying sylabus?!

Negative. EFT is currently done in the Grob Tutor, though after each sortie your QFI will give you a score from 1 through 5 for flying ability. The average of these scores is an indicator as to your likely stream upon joining the RAF as pilot, whereby:

1) Fast Jet likely
2) Fast Jet/Rotary
3) Rotary
4) Rotary/Multi-Engine
5) Multi-Engine
6) Adios amigo

Sponsorship - in the sense that someone else pays for your training - is essentially dead.

...I was pretty much expecting that, but figure it can't hurt to ask you guys, or indeed give it a whirl. Does seem a shame, but I can see why the airlines don't bother.

Singsong - you mentioned that some of the small airlines still sponser, but with sooo many posts in here, I'd appreciate if you could name-drop below or PM me...

scroggs
11th Jan 2007, 09:41
Try a search (use Advanced Search), using the keyword sponsorship OR sponsorships (exactly as written), thread titles only, over the last year. Get a coffee. Read and inwardly digest.

Scroggs

FiiS
11th Jan 2007, 10:50
Negative. EFT is currently done in the Grob Tutor, though after each sortie your QFI will give you a score from 1 through 5 for flying ability. The average of these scores is an indicator as to your likely stream upon joining the RAF as pilot, whereby:

1) Fast Jet likely
2) Fast Jet/Rotary
3) Rotary
4) Rotary/Multi-Engine
5) Multi-Engine
6) Adios amigo

Could have sworn it was the other way round, with 6 being instructor / god like abilities, 5 fast jet, 4 heli, 3 multi, 2 good up to pre solo, 1 poor, 0 why are you still here??

If 1s and 2s are where it's at why aren't I on a Tonka squadron now!! :\

MCPwhore
11th Jan 2007, 13:37
FiiS, you are right, 6 is on the money, 1 is cot death.

That scale (albeit inverted) still suprises me.. In the RN, an average of 2means pack your bags, but then, those junior service standards aint a shock.

Both use the same CFS services... Before anyone starts critiquing the possibility of any marking differences.

If the said scale is true, and a 2 is multi streaming... They must be selecting the wrong candidates. Even in the RN, you had to be barely alive to get less than a 3:D

redsnail
1st Feb 2007, 20:35
If you don't fancy airlines but do fancy bizjets, keep a very close eye in Flight International if you're interested in a sponsorship. There's more than one job going.

You will have to show a very high degree of motivation and initiative for this job(s).

Details will be in Flight International very soon.

That's all I can say.

ron83
27th Feb 2007, 15:15
Hi all,

I just wonder if there is any chance to find full sponsorship for pilot training(Frozen ATPL) in Europe,better say for JAA licences?
Maybe any other advice on getting finance for whole training?
Really want to start training but,since foreigner,not eligible for loan in UK,or Spain,where main FTO's are located.

Cheers,Ron.:rolleyes:

babolat
27th Feb 2007, 15:36
Full sponsorship opportunities are practically dead.

You will find more information here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251490)

ron83
27th Feb 2007, 15:54
cheers,I have a look at that, yeah I know that it's probably impossible to find sponsorship nowadays,unfortunately,but you never know.
Still waiting for something else on this issue...

Regards,Ron.

french frog
27th Feb 2007, 16:05
There is air france cadet but ou need to speak french,
if you speak german you can try luftansa or swiss, they
propose to their selectionned cadet full sponsorship :-)

Bye and good luck,
med

ron83
27th Feb 2007, 16:23
thanks for info,I would try,unfortunately no frenc or german either:O :rolleyes: still appreciated for info,any more?:rolleyes:

regards,Ron.

dominick hide
27th Feb 2007, 16:45
Netjets has started abinitio training there has been a lot of news about it in the biz jet section of pprune and adverts in flight international. I believe they have already started interviewing . check out there web site for more info :ok:

DH

ron83
27th Feb 2007, 16:51
yep mate,I've heard about that,they do training through OAT,but it's self sponsored scheme,so you still need to fund your money,of course you can apply for loan,but since I'm not resident of UK,I can't apply,casue you need to have assets to secure your loan.

Regards,Ron.:rolleyes:

P.S appreciated for all replies guys,maybe one gonna be right:) all info welcomed

high-hopes
27th Feb 2007, 17:09
the most difficult part of achieving a fATPL is the financial struggle, so if you got a full sponsoriship, it would make it all too easy and spoil the fun !
That's why airlines don't do full sponsorships anymore. :)

Everyone can wake up in the morning, learn to fly full time and go play polo at the weekend !
How about working full time, learning to fly and having a mortgage, a wife and kids ? Far more exciting !

And that's why the French and Germans still do sponsorhips... they are boring gits ! ;)

HH

Boingy
27th Feb 2007, 17:13
Air Atlantique still run a scheme AFAIK.

"Current Sponsorship

CADET PILOT SPONSORSHIP
Air Atlantique offers CPL pilot sponsorship courses throughout the year. The ideal candidates for selection must meet the following basic requirements;

a) Hold a valid PPL (A)
b) Hold a valid Class One JAR Medical
c) Hold a valid UK driving licence
d) Be aged between 18 and 25 years
e) Be in possession of the right to live and work within theEU

If you are successful, you will be required to relocate to Coventry on a permanent basis.
The Company provides accommodation for the first phase of sponsorship.
You will undertake a tightly controlled training course, which will involve period of ground school, self-study and flying training elements as appropriate.
A period of duties within the Airline Operations Department along with many other operational and general tasks will also be required of you during the first phase of your sponsorship.
In recognition of the Sponsorship provided an agreement for a minimum period of approximately four years after qualification is required. You can expect to qualify with a CPL/IR (Frozen ATPL) within approximately 18 months, after which time, the remaining period of the sponsorship will be the minimum expected duration of employment within the Air Atlantique Group.

If you are interested in applying for Cadet Pilot Sponsorship, please contact

Margaret Royle on 02476 882600 or via email to [email protected] for an application form. "

http://www.airatlantique.co.uk/

Highland Airways also ran one, not sure when they will run another

http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/191003?070227181114.82.45.108.148.31894+/highland/I7/EN/static/cadetschemes.html

I'm pretty sure all of the companies under Air Atlantique offer cadet schemes. You effectively become a slave for the company whilst they PAY YOU a limited subsitence allowance, give you free flying and pay for your ATPL MEIR and give you a job...

I see your location is Latvia but it is always worth a phone call or an e-mail. You have nothing to lose!

There are probably a few more lurking around somewhere but those are ones that I know of. Hope that helps.

ron83
27th Feb 2007, 17:31
cheers boingy,

yeah,you right,and I probably try to contact for air atlantic,even that it seems I have only 1 year until deadline;) and I need to obtain PPL:O I believe for UK driving licence they are not that strict,I have EU driving licence:) yeah I know,that if you get through sponsorship pay is crap,but what can you do if don't have opportunity to fund on your own,and you have passion for flying and aviation career:)
thanks mate,I see what gonna happen:)
FOR HIGH HOPES:
:) I believe you are wrong there,I might agree it's more fun to have mortgage:} :} but I think that they just don't wanna spoil their income:) :) and fund 100K euros for each,cause the reasons most companies say,like after 9/11 we stop sponsorship doesn't make any sense,if somebody from world known terr... want to do something,they can pay to learn unfortunately they can afford it.

starbuck123
5th Mar 2007, 18:25
Hi Folks

Im considering a career change from an IT Engineer to my dream job of becoming a pilot. Having looked into it and the cost im hoping for a sponsorship deal however there dont appear to be many. is this the right move and if so where should i look or contact?

CCLN
5th Mar 2007, 18:46
Not many left unfortunately. These are the only ones I know of. Wether or not they are still running is worth a look

CTC Wings/Easy Jet
Atlantic Airlines
Highland Airways
Net Jets Scheme

Information on all can be found in Pprune.

Good Luck.

londonmet
6th Mar 2007, 00:06
CCLN should have said....

CTC

1) EasyJet
2) First Choice
3) Jet 2
4) Monarch
5) My Travel
6) Thomas Cook
7) Thomason Fly

Gullyone
6th Mar 2007, 03:29
I dont think the above sponsor in the true sense of the word. They just arrange a loan to enable you to do the course.

MIKECR
6th Mar 2007, 07:26
I dont think theres such a thing as full sponsorship anymore. The BA scheme died a death several years ago, leaving only part sponsorships available. Even then, you still had to contribute anything from 35k - 50k of your own money, in some cases. Competition for these schemes is fierce and unless your a 21 year old whizz kid, with the right surname and right uni education then forget it. The only true full sponsorship I can think of recently is probably the Highland Airways one. Even then, I think they only took one person onboard and theyve probably to do 2 years minimum in the Ops dept before let near a plane. Theyre probably bonded to a J31 thereafter for something ridiculous like 5 years.

Groundloop
6th Mar 2007, 08:09
Theyre probably bonded to a J31 thereafter for something ridiculous like 5 years.

Okay, so you use the word probably so it appears you don't actually know. However if you are right why is 5 years "ridiculous"?

Thomason Fly - is that a new Swedish airline??;) ;)

aspaceman
6th Mar 2007, 08:16
Okay, so you use the word probably so it appears you don't actually know. However if you are right why is 5 years "ridiculous"?

Thomason Fly - is that a new Swedish airline??;) ;)

With your attitude towards somebody who is trying to help you, you would probably be best sticking to IT.

I have just read your post and thought - 'imagine sat beside that for a day'

BitMoreRightRudder
6th Mar 2007, 08:22
I think you're a little confused aspaceman. Have a read of the thread again.;)

Fraggle Rock
6th Mar 2007, 08:44
MikeCR

Theyre probably bonded to a J31 thereafter for something ridiculous like 5 years.

If an airline offers you an opportunity like that, a full sponsorship in return for a couple of years of your time then, to me, that is a fantastic deal!

I had to finish uni+work for a couple of years, then take a massive loan to get where I am and would gladly swap my debt for a five year commitment to an airline, especially one that offered a real education in flying!

MIKECR
6th Mar 2007, 08:56
And what if you didnt like the flying you were doing? What would you do if you decided after a year that you wanted to fly some 'heavy metal' and get payed more money? What if you hated living in the far corner of Scotland. I guess you'd be stuck for several years.

Im only playing the devils advocate role here, dont all get upset.

EGCC4284
6th Mar 2007, 09:44
And what if you didnt like the flying you were doing? What would you do if you decided after a year that you wanted to fly some 'heavy metal' and get payed more money? What if you hated living in the far corner of Scotland. I guess you'd be stuck for several years.

Could you not just go to a bank and borrow the money to pay the bond off, then go and earn a larger wage.

dumdidum
6th Mar 2007, 10:04
http://www.suomenilmailuopisto.fi/eng/index.shtml

10ke is the price... so not a full sponsorship, but near enough(Finnair and Finnish government will pay the rest of the 100ke). You can go to Finnair after you graduate from there. Very tough to get in though, they take approx 4-6% of applicants. Not sure if they provide teaching in english either. But doesn't cost anything to ask =)

MIKECR
6th Mar 2007, 10:05
Yes im sure you could but the point im trying to make is this - You have made a commitment to fly for airline 'x'. They have sponsored you all through training, invested 80k in you and in return expect you to work for them for 5 years. Its not just about syaing 'thanks very much for my pilots license, now im off after a year...!'. For the likes of Highland, its a very unique type of flying your going to be doing. Before you go applying for such schemes you should be carefuly considering - is this the type of flying for me? Will I be happy living living there? Will I be happy flying TP's for 4 or 5 years if my ultimate goal is a big jet? Will I be happy with a TP salary for that period of time? What if I want to move on? If your a bit stuck for some of those answers then I would suggest that the likes of the Highland Scheme is not for you. It is a fantastic opportunity but YOU as an individual have to be happy with what your signing up for. Its not just about having someone pay for you to gain your ATPL so you can fxxx off after a year and fly 737's. The company are investing a lot of money in you, in return you should be honouring your commitment. This is all assuming of course that your bond is i fat for the 5 years I mentioned. Given the type of sponsorship involved I would imagine that 5 years is a realistic figure.

MIKECR
6th Mar 2007, 10:14
I've just read the website, it is in fact 5 years as i previously mentioned.

vj-o
26th Mar 2007, 12:08
Hi guys,

I've looked at many threads and have heard about airlines 'tagging' people before or during their training.
I'm just wandering if anybody knows how the system works and how to go about becoming 'tagged'?

bcarrick
11th Apr 2007, 02:04
to all u people with the inside scoop or just u aviation know all's who i think are great can any body help me in finding out if any airlines do any type of sponsership to young people who have there ppl at a young age (16) as i would be interested in finding out if anybody does.i would be very greatful for anybodys help thanks :ok:

bri1980
11th Apr 2007, 06:45
If you search the forums there should be loads of info.

There are very few (if any) full airline sponsorships around now (British Airways used to have one, but it is no more-I applied to the last one they ran a number of years ago). I am not sure if any of the Eastern carriers still do one-Cathay Pacific used to I think, might be worth just double checking but I think it too won't be running now.

Most now require some kind of cash bond as a guarantee to you turning up and giving the course your best shot, and this is often around £60000.

Here is one to start with:

CTC Wings Cadets (linked to Tfly, Jet2, EasyJet and a few others)

All the best, and well done on getting your PPL at a young age!

rd_boulby
1st May 2007, 18:28
Hello there people :},
ok first of all im not sure if this is supposed to be here so dont flam me,

Right im 16 years old and am currently taking my ppl, im 12 hours through and have made over 30 landings :hmm: (yes it maybe little to the more experienced but its a start) I am taking my medical next week to allow the solo flying and should be given the all clear (unless sawdust between the ears affects flying :8 ) lol.

anyway after these 12 hours of flying, funding myself by working in a kitchen at 16, money is starting to come a little hard to come by, so i was wondering if theres any sponsorships of some sort to give me a helping hand :D.

also i am wondering if theres any chance of making it commercially with the following info;
9 A*-C Gcse's
currently studying 3 AS levels and 3 A levels
and possible university
ooh and also a possible completed ppl :cool:

all help appreciated :confused: :confused:

thanks Russell

bri1980
1st May 2007, 18:36
Well,

GCSEs look good. What A-levels are you doing? Hopefully maths and physics as that will help a lot with the theoretical aspets.

There are a very limited number of sponsored PPL programs (I think Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators have one, but no doubt the selection will be very tough).

Best wishes with your training

B

rd_boulby
1st May 2007, 19:08
i will be doing A levels - Physics, Geography and ICT the As's are Electronics, general studies and another course not sure of the name :ugh:

bri1980
1st May 2007, 19:28
If your not doing A-level maths (and even if you were) make sure your mental arithmetic is pretty sound. It's a simple area to improve where many people can get caught out when they go for sponsorhip schemes for commercial flying.

You will probably be getting some practice in your PPL training-for example your RoD is 5 x groundspeed on approach, 1 mbar=30ish feet etc.

B

bluepeely
1st May 2007, 19:51
Worlds ya oyster mate, started young, got your GCSE's and studying for a-levels. Keep on flying and you'll crack it one way or another.

(wish i were 16 again):(

bri1980
1st May 2007, 19:56
I think many of us wish we were 16 again: that we we might make Captain by 25!

Keep at the flying and, at the moment, you have all the time in the world.

B

Congested Airspace
1st May 2007, 20:18
I think that you'll find many people that wish they were in your shoes! Stay in school and study hard. Do whatever it takes (legally of course) to finish the PPL and fly as often as you can and build that experience (hours). You have plenty of time. With what you're up to now, you'll have no trouble moving into commercial flying in the future. In this industry, you have to work hard and be persistent to achieve what you want to accomplish. Bye the way, 30 landings is great! When I was 16, I didn't have 30 landings under my belt....nice work! Best of luck to you!

gliderone
1st May 2007, 20:50
rd_boulby,

Hi mate! As most of the other guys have said you've got a great basis on which to start building for a career as an airline pilot. Getting good A levels is a must, and although most say you defintely need maths and physics, this is untrue. If you get A's in something you enjoy, this is better than a forced C or D in Maths. Although it is important that you have some ability for mental arithmetic. You'll most probably need 2 Alevels should you wish to apply for some of the 'sponsorship' schemes such as Netjets, Thomas Cook or Excel through Oxford Aviation or other schemes such as FlyBe through Flight Training Europe (FTE). Have a look on their websites and see what you can dig up. Uni is also a big help to sponsorship schemes and again I'd say do something you enjoy, after all 3 years can be a long time doing something you don't like. Alot of people say a degree isn't worth doing either, but if you lose your medical, it can be mighty handy as a fall back, not to mention the personal development you'll get at uni. An Engineering degree is always a good fall back, but it is a challenge. Also, flying at your age is a great way to gain experience and shows willing, something that the airline schemes will want to see. Do everything you can to show you've made the effort, it will pay off big time in the end. I'm starting my training in August, after 5 years of uni and I can't wait!

Any questions, drop me a line.

rd_boulby
2nd May 2007, 07:17
Many thanks to the huge amount of replies :ok:

well im taking physics because i love it :8 just being the most persistant person on the planet makes the challanges of physics fun to accomplish, all the other a-levels i love 2 so i really will get stuck in.

Well ive always wanted to be a pilot ever since my first holiday of stepping onto a plane :) i the lure for me is the amazing thing that something that large can fly. aswell as the resposnability which i like to have.

And my instructors and school have been amazed by me - but being the perfectionist as i am keep picking out the bad points of an approach and touchdown. And 12 hours 30 landings later going solo:eek:

Well thats after being on the ground for 1 1/2 month due to the CAA needing a medical report :ugh: OH WELL RESULTS BACK! and it says im fine for class 2 AND class 1 medicals if i am passed with the doctor. Whichhe thought would be no problem :hmm:

thanks,, Russ :cool:

MajorYaw
2nd May 2007, 08:26
Check out the Royal Aero Club Bursaries and other support. The bursary is worth £500.

LeeME3
2nd May 2007, 09:21
Many many many years ago I got 15 hours flying from these great folk:

http://www.airleague.co.uk/scholarships.html

I then joined the RAF (not as a pilot as it happens) and am now finishing off my PPL! Actually, with 20 years between my scholarship and now I've started it from scratch, but I'm loving it all over again.

GOOD LUCK!

Pilot's Wings
9th May 2007, 11:55
Hello,
I 'm wondering whether all the companies provide a cadet selection with an ab-initio training. I think it is quite good idea for companies which do that because they get young pilots who will be used to the preocedure of the compagny and it is overall a very good mean for this young pilot to achieve their dream.

captain_rossco
9th May 2007, 12:11
For as long as we are prepared to pay for our training, I have a funny feeling employers will continue let us!

Regards

Rossco

sam316
16th May 2007, 19:00
hay,
i was wondering if anyone knows of any airlines that are offering sponsorship???

thankyou Sam. :confused:

speedrestriction
16th May 2007, 19:06
Hi Sam,

Try using the search function. This (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1350093) should get you started in any case.

sr

hollingworthp
17th May 2007, 05:43
Sam

The NetJets scheme is currently open - http://www.oxfordaviation.net/netjets/nj_info.htm

HTH

Mark3618
17th May 2007, 23:11
Hi all,

I havn't posted on here for a while, been busy working.

Does anyone know if there will be any new sponsorship opportunities coming up with the airlines?

The last one I applied to was a few years ago - CTC McAlpine (EasyJet/JMC) which I was unsuccessful at.

If anyone can give me any useful info or even some advice, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

bjkeates
18th May 2007, 01:31
The first piece of advice anyone will give you on here in response to a question like that is use the search function.

The short answer to your question is - it's very unlikely.

expedite08
19th May 2007, 11:12
There are no such things as sponsorship programmes anymore just ways for companys to grain as much out of you whilst putting you on a very long bond with a huge whopping bill! The Highlands airways 75k job rings a bell. From where I am now in my training I could complete and get a 320 or 73 rating and still have change from 75k!
Always read the small print very carefully!!

Mark3618
19th May 2007, 11:20
Okay thanks for the replies.

I am currently looking at the CTC Scheme as the application form is now open for cadet pilots.

Mark.

Will88
19th May 2007, 18:40
There are no such things as sponsorship programmes anymore just ways for companys to grain as much out of you whilst putting you on a very long bond with a huge whopping bill! The Highlands airways 75k job rings a bell. From where I am now in my training I could complete and get a 320 or 73 rating and still have change from 75k!
Always read the small print very carefully!!

Oh look - some other poor misguided soul who has completely misunderstood the Highland scheme. It really is very, very, very simple :hmm: :ugh:

You owe the company no money at all. Zilch. Nada. Rien. Diddly Squat. Zero. Sweet FA. Nil.

You do not pay back the cost of your training, period. It's all gratuit. So I suppose you could just about define it as a sponsorship - if that meets your obviously demanding criteria.

There is a enormous difference between being bonded and having a "huge bill" to foot. Highland Airways will not take a penny off you. The bond is just an abstract figure that decreases every month. It has no effect on your day to day life, your bank balance or any other aspect of your monetary wellbeing :rolleyes:

Get a clue before you go badmouthing things like this in future please ;)

The Wicker Man
20th May 2007, 18:57
Hi All
I think Highland Airways are accepting victims for their cadet scheme. The closing date is May 2007.:ok:

bri1980
20th May 2007, 20:14
Why victims? I think that deserves some explanation!?!

DKP1
26th May 2007, 12:11
Are there any companies that employ people straight off the street with no flying experience, then train them to fly with a view to getting a job within that company?

Cheers

AlphaMale
26th May 2007, 12:30
Yes - Do a search, I think you'll find NetJets will take people with no flying exprience (not an airline but a bizjet). I think CTC will take on 0hr students in will try and place them with an airline too.

I am not really looking into scholorships but you might find them here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104).

Good luck

YYZ_Instructor
6th Jun 2007, 16:34
Oh my god!!
Sometimes I just need to jump in on these threads as they become rediculous!
I cannot believe "Dartagnan" wrote this:
I think the time of sponsorship is over and the only way to become a pilot, is to sponsor yourself.
just look at the websites selling tickets for 40-60 euros(or even 1 euro), if an airline start to sponsor wanabees, they are not going to be competitive.
i am a pilot, and the last job I have found was on the airbus320, I have to pay for my own training if I want fly the 320.
aviation has always been more and more expensive.regrettably it is a job for rich kids.
What a load of balony!!!
I did my training in Canada, instructed, converted and worked in the UK!
I never paid more than my initial training which came to $55,000CDN = 26,000GBP! I have type ratings and full ATPL. Never ever did I need to pay or hand out money! Now read my lips.....
" THE ONLY REASON AIRLINES ASK YOU TO PAY IS BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WILLING TO PAY!"
If i applied to a company and they asked me to pay a new type rating, I would laugh and walk away....then some inexperienced, young, cocky, power hungry, shinny jet hard on, would pay 28,000GBP. For what to sit in a cockpit?!?! Ha! Good luck with your family life, because you will never afford one at that rate.... :eek:
I am proud at all the young pilots applying to the schemes! And proud of companies providing these schemes! :ok:
Good work to all in schemes, and all the best for people appling....do it the right way.

tonks204
14th Jun 2007, 16:45
since nowhere in the UK offers full scholarships, would it be cheaper to learn somewhere else abroad:confused: