PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlantique Sponsorship

nick14
28th Apr 2005, 12:15
Good Afternoon,
I have been looking into the air atlantique sponsorship programme and their company in general. A few things have cropped up as a result of my research, so if there are any air atlantique pilots or students here that could halp me i would most appreciate it:

What is the training like
What are the aircraft like
how much chioce, after recieving the licence, do you get on what flying you do and in what aircraft
What is the pay structure like
what are the promotion prospects/times
how much flying is involved in a usual day month year?
what are the management team like
how much paperwork is there

I know this is a lot to ask but i am realy interested in this company and working for them in the future.

Many thanks to everyone
Nick

Atlantic-44
28th Apr 2005, 15:21
Training - first rate. Think you'll struggle to find better.
Aircraft - too many to list - try here (http://www.airatlantique.co.uk) or here (http://www.classicflight.com/) for details
Choice of aircraft - its all dependent on needs. The company's fairly small, so they cant always guarantee you'll get onto the aircraft that you want, although you're certainly allowed your input as to what you'd like.
Pay - Good enough considering its a free ATPL
Promotion prospects are excellent.
Flying hours depends on what you fly. Flying for something like the Environment Agency, you could be constantly battling with your 100hrs per 28 days limit. Go down to Kent to work for the Coastguard, and you might have days between flights.
Management treat you as you treat them. So be nice!
In terms of paperwork, well there's lots as a cadet. And when you do your spell in the company Operations department. Not as much when you're flying, but you cant ever get away from it completely.

Contact them on 02476 882 610 and ask for an application form.

Hope thats of use.

Atlantic-44

hingey
28th Apr 2005, 16:00
Atlantic, are you a member of the company?

wbryce
28th Apr 2005, 16:12
Anyone know when air atlantique will be picking candidates for sponsorship?

What are the long term prospects like at the company? I assume after the required period of employment you can choose to stay with the company and move further up the chain?

mesh
29th Apr 2005, 09:29
Do any of you guys know current recruitment for F/O's at moment. If sellected will you be given one a/c type that you will fly ie be assured of TP time?

Conc
1st May 2005, 06:00
If you have an ATR rating and are looking for a job then it is probably worth sending a CV to Air Atlantique. Not sure about the current recruitment for Atlantic Airlines as they are a seperate company now but understand they are about to start receiving ATPs.

Atlantic-44
12th May 2005, 14:30
Congratulations to the 3 newly appointed cadets. Will see you in July - enjoy your freedom while you still have it!!!

Atlantic-44

llien14
26th May 2005, 09:15
Does anyone know when or if the cadet sponsorship scheme closes this year?
thanks

hingey
28th May 2005, 08:14
Posted the filled- in forms today. Any idea when I can expect a reply (be it a pfo or a welcome aboard, though I'm not getting my hopes up as I only passed my skills test yesterday and havent even finished my A levels yet!)?

Oscar Juliet
28th May 2005, 11:07
hingey

You will hear from them when they complete their next round of recruiting which, I would assume, will be in about 5 or 6 months. When I applied I hadn't finished my A Levels, however I sent them my grades on results day.

Best of luck

OJ

Tiger_ Moth
15th Jun 2005, 09:22
Hi, I saw this mentioned in another post. What exactly is this?

I was talking to an instructor who told me about them but I didn't know they had a sponsorship scheme and it sounds like they are right up my alley as I would not really want to fly in a regular airline, because it is not real flying and it's boring, but Air Atlantique sounds fun.

How much experience do you need for this scheme? Do you need a CPL? At the moment I have a PPL, gained on Tiger Moths, about 64 hours TT.

llien14
15th Jun 2005, 17:38
tiger_moth

they offer a pilot sponsorship course requirements:

hold a valid PPL(A)
hold a valid Class 1 Medical
hold a valid UK driving licence
Be aged between 18-25
Have right to live/work in EU

minimum period of comittment to them is 6 years (normally 2 of which are training, other 4 are working).
There are more details on their webpagehere (http://www.airatlantique.co.uk/) then go to group recruitment then sponsorship
think they took on a three cadets a month or so ago but not entirely sure.

Murray_NN
30th Aug 2005, 23:01
Hi, has anyone heard about interviews at all for the Air Atlantique's sponsorship? I had a call tonight to let me know about the selection days on WED, THU and FRI next week.

If anyone has been to one of these days I would greatly appreciate some info.

Pole Hill
31st Aug 2005, 08:29
I got a call yesterday too, i'm so pleased that I have got through the application stage :D
My interpretation was that the selection day was on either on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, but then again, I'm probably wrong!
Again, any information from past applicants would be much appreciated.
Best of luck Murray_NN :ok:
POL

wbryce
31st Aug 2005, 08:45
Hello,

I received that wonderful call too! I must say the call caught me off guard but the news did sink in eventually! ;)

Heres hoping to hand flying those wonderful aircraft in the future.

Any information on the selection process would be appreicated also! :ok:

Atlantic-44
31st Aug 2005, 09:37
Congrats on getting your calls. The selection process may have changed slightly this year, but I think the general format is three assessments:

1/ Written assessments
2/ Initial interview, flight test and sim assessment
3/ Informal meet with staff and current cadets, and Final interview with company directors

Good luck to all of you

Atlantic-44

TenAndie
31st Aug 2005, 10:31
I also got the call last night to attend the selection day :D

From what i gather, it will be written assesments.

Murray_NN
31st Aug 2005, 12:22
The latest,

I called them today and it seems that Thursday and Friday are the only days they are doing selections. It is a four-part selection process and each may last a whole day.
The sponsorship requires you to stay with the company for the first two years and be on call 24/7. You must also live in company accomodation. It appears that its not suitable for people with girlfriends and wives.

Are there any current cadets?
What are the conditions?

TenAndie
31st Aug 2005, 12:55
What is everyones experience that has got the call ??

Interesting to see at what stage of the training they are looking to take people on.

Atlantic-44
31st Aug 2005, 13:13
Hi all,

As a current company cadet, I thought I'd clarify some points.

You are in fact required to stay with the company for SEVEN years - two years will be your training, followed by five years bonded employment from the issue of your licence.

Yes, you will be on call 24/7, although its not as bad as it sounds. You may occasionally be called out at stupid o'clock to drive a pilot to an airport somehere in the country, but it doesnt happen often.

The company accomodation is a bonus - your rent is paid, you dont need to worry about bills (except phone), and you're extremely close to the airport (one of the cadet houses is just off of the runway threshold and we have 737's passing by the house at about 100ft! Also, you get to live with other cadets, rather than some complete stanger you have nothing to do with. Imagine the hassle of having to find your own place and pay rent, bills, etc, especially when we take on cadets as young as 18.

Admittedly, the cadetship is not ideal for those with partners. Wives/husbands could be a big problem, girlfriends/boyfriends not as much so. Several of the current cadets have partners, and seem to manage ok. If whoever you're with loves you that much, they'll understand that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and they'll make do. Additionally, I, as a cadet, would not put up with someone else's loved ones living at the house fulltime, and I wouldnt expect anyone else to. To clarify, partners can stay at the house overnight from time to time, but may not live there permanently.

The above isnt meant to scare you - its just better you know now before coming all the way to Coventry to find there wasn't any point in doing so.

The scheme in itself is one of the best around, and speaking from my own experience, although its been v. difficult at times, I'm v. happy I'm on it. If you're prepared to give 100% commitment to the company, they'll look after you.

A couple of you have asked about the assessment process. The first one which you have been invited to will consist of a maths paper (possibly with some PPL questions in there), an English paper, and some personality profiling questionnaires.

Atlantic-44

Pole Hill
31st Aug 2005, 13:25
Atlantic-44
Thank you for your feedback. :ok:
It all sounds good to me. :D
POL

wbryce
31st Aug 2005, 14:30
Hello Atlantic,

Thank you for your detailed information...

I'm currently waiting on an email from Atlantic to confirm the dates and times so I can request time off from my current employer; has anyone received this email yet?

My current experience is 72hrs TT with all the required criteria.

Pole Hill
31st Aug 2005, 15:18
wbryce,
I'm waiting for the email too - its good to know that others are and that it's not just me :ok:
POL

Murray_NN
31st Aug 2005, 16:03
Atlantic 44

Thank you for the insight into the company.

Can you tell us a little more as to what stage of the training you are at?

What does your basic day consist of?

Who does your training? ie the distance learning part? the flying part?

Do you have to live at the same place for 7 years or is it compulsory to live there for duration of your triaining and then live your want?

Sorry to throw allot of questions at you.

Atlantic-44
31st Aug 2005, 17:24
Having just written out a hefty reply to the above questions, PPRuNe kindly deleted the lot :mad:. I will, at some point, rewrite it, but for now I shall just mention that for all those awaiting an email regarding the assessments, nothing has been sent out today, so dont get worried if you have an empty inbox!!!

Atlantic-44

TenAndie
31st Aug 2005, 17:39
Thank you for the information Atlantic.

If you reply to the questions by PM, could you please copy and paste me too.

Its all very exciting. It just goes to show that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for all us wannabes

Cheers

GodisMyCopilot
31st Aug 2005, 18:44
I have also recieved the call last night and can't wait to give it my best! Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

hingey
31st Aug 2005, 19:36
If you all got your calls last night looks like I'm off the list then :( Granted, I'm not 18 and don't have a driving license or a medical (got it booked though) so maybe I'm not ideal. Best of luck to the rest of you :ok:

h

Atlantic-44
1st Sep 2005, 08:46
The requirements are to have a full driving licence and to actually have (and not only the ability to get) a Class 1 medical. If you're under 18, hingey, speak to the person you sent your application to, and ask for your application to be held for the next intake. In the meantime, get your driving licence and your Class 1.

Atlantic-44

Murray_NN
3rd Sep 2005, 08:36
Got my letter today regarding the selection day.

Can anyone highlight what is Mcquaigs tests?
how can I get some practice done on these tests?

Much appreciated.

skytravel
3rd Sep 2005, 12:36
I got the letter as well, so pleased about it! I did a seach for McQuaig on Google, I believe it's a personality test.

I would like to prepare as best as I can for the Maths and Science tests especially, any help on what to expect will be greatly appreciated.

Will hopefully see some of you on Thursday! Best of luck everyone.

TenAndie
3rd Sep 2005, 14:55
Well i got the call but the letter has not arrived yet, which is normal because the post here is awful !!!

The worrying thing is that i have got to travel down to London tomorrow for my last set of ATPLs and im not back until Thursday evening, which does not give me very long to prepare !! :ugh:

If anyone could pm me the general jist of what is happening then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pole Hill
3rd Sep 2005, 15:12
I've just got my letter too :)
skytravel; I found the same as you regarding the McQuaig Test and Profile. Using these methods, Air Atlantique will determine what wonderful, suitable people we are :D
I would like to prepare too, so again, any help would be appreciated :ok:
POL

3rd Sep 2005, 16:13
I wouldn't worry too much about the tests.

If your face fits you'll more than likely succeed. Do your research on the company, go armed with a sense of humour and primarily, be yourself!!

JamesTigris
5th Sep 2005, 14:52
Atlantic

Do you know the reason for the PPL requirement? I have many hours gained with the UAS at Uni and thus have a skill level comparable to a holder of a Private Licence. I would not have a chance of doing a PPL before I leave Uni and may be too old by the time I can pay to train and apply immediatly after uni (I'll be 23 when I graduate!).

Just wondering if the PPL was stated as mandatory as an indicator of skill-level/aptitude/commitment to flying... My UAS flying shows all three*.

Thanks for all your other comments. I agree with the one about partners. Everyone should realise sacrifices need to be made if you want to become a professional aviator. I'm engaged to be married but would still consider this scheme and excellent oppertunity.

*Blatant self promotion, appologies :=

5th Sep 2005, 16:02
It's a lot to do with time to train people up.

If you've already got a PPL, the next step is hour building towards the CPL; something that requires relatively less interaction between instructor and pupil compared with an ab initio applicant.

Atlantic want their cadets to get on with their hour building and study towards the ATPL's.

You may have experience of UAS, but unless you have the licence to go with it, it won't count towards anything.

Surely a PPL holder has shown a skill-level/aptitude and commitment to flying as much as you have, moreso in some cases....

My advice to you would be get a PPL sharp. Your UAS hours could then help you stand out along side other applications.

I know of no one who has got in without a PPL.

Pole Hill
5th Sep 2005, 21:58
Thanks for the advice. :ok:
POL

Murray_NN
5th Sep 2005, 22:53
Can anyone say how many cadets are there right now at Atlantique Group?

Anymore on their day to day lifestyle and what they do would be appreciated.

Is anyone travelling to Coventry from West London on Thursday?

Atlantic-44
7th Sep 2005, 07:30
Hi All,

A valid PPL is a requirement, mainly for the reasons 5150 has listed. There are currently 7 cadets with Air Atlantique, one of whom is doing his IR, and so will soon be qualified.

Atlantic-44

EIDW RJ85
8th Sep 2005, 17:00
Anyone have any idea how many they are taking on at the mo. i only recieved my application in the post this week despite applying for it weeks ago?? So i guess that counts me out of this round!

How often do they recruit??

Many Thanks :ok:

pheeel
8th Sep 2005, 19:01
Atlantic-44-

Has anyone got in with a PPL other than a JAA?

I have a NZ PPL and am wondering about my chances without converting it...

Cheers for any info,

Pheeel

Atlantic-44
9th Sep 2005, 09:29
Pheeel

On the last intake, two of the cadets had FAA PPL's. According to Air Atlantique's website, the requirements are:

a) Hold a valid PPL (A)
b) Hold a valid Class One JAR Medical
c) Hold a valid UK driving licence
d) Be aged between 18 and 25 years
e) Be in possession of the right to live and work within theEU

Atlantic-44

Murray_NN
9th Sep 2005, 15:49
Has anyone heard any news from yesterday's selection day?

Pole Hill
9th Sep 2005, 17:10
Murray_NN,
From what Kay was saying, I think that we should know by Tuesday hopefully.
POL

pheeel
9th Sep 2005, 18:14
Cheers Atlantic-44,

Yeah, now I see the website...last time I checked I'm sure it said a "valid JAA PPL"...nevermind, all the better for me!

thanks for the info,

Pheeel

UAV689
10th Sep 2005, 15:46
Hi All

How did everyone find the tests, the last one, applied science had me racking my brains back to GCSE Science..!!

Pole Hill
12th Sep 2005, 08:37
UAV689,
The first timed test was by far the most difficult for me.
Fingers crossed :)
POL

v1r8
13th Sep 2005, 06:49
Whats their website?

Atlantic-44
13th Sep 2005, 08:05
www.airatlantique.co.uk (http://www.airatlantique.co.uk)

Scroll over 'Group Pages', then click on 'Sponsorship Schemes'

Atlantic-44

Murray_NN
13th Sep 2005, 18:00
Has anyone heard anything at all?

TenAndie
13th Sep 2005, 18:04
No not yet. They are still marking the papers i think. Should be later this evening

To say that i am slightly nervous would be the biggest understatement since the word understatements was first used :\

Pole Hill
13th Sep 2005, 18:06
I was about to ask the same question, I haven't heard anything.
POL

skytravel
13th Sep 2005, 18:38
Me neither.

Best of luck everyone. Fingers crossed.

wbryce
13th Sep 2005, 19:10
the sponsorship will be a life changing event to anyone who passes. Best of luck to everyone who attended. Its a shame we all can't get sponsored! Only if carlsberg offered pilot sponsorship eh? ;)

thejakes
13th Sep 2005, 20:51
Hi guys, still waiting too, feeling better knowing that you're all waiting out there as well!

Good luck to all!

MJ

TenAndie
14th Sep 2005, 14:17
Anyone yet ?? :ugh:

Murray_NN
14th Sep 2005, 14:27
No nothing yet. The wait is horrible.:ugh:

Pole Hill
14th Sep 2005, 15:00
I've heard nothing. :{
I'm very surprised that we haven't heard anything yet, I thought that the plan was to have the successful candidates attend the second stage at the end of this week.
Keep your chins up guys (and girls), the wait is anything but pleasant, but the time will come. I hope the saying "the best things come to those who wait" is true in this case :ok:
POL

carrieanderson
14th Sep 2005, 16:55
I'm feeling pretty much the same as you the rest of you; hovering over the phone/ post/ computer in anticipation. I have checked my emails more in the last week than I have in the last year! Good luck to you all.
ca

needajob01
14th Sep 2005, 17:00
here too, everybody is waiting!!!!

good luck to you guys!

Pole Hill
14th Sep 2005, 18:38
Check your emails people.
I've just been rejected :{
Anybody else to join me?
The determination will pay off one day.
POL

UAV689
14th Sep 2005, 19:39
i have heard nothing yet, but i think they have my work email address that i can'tcheck til tomorrow...bad luck pole hill all the best in future...

Pole Hill
14th Sep 2005, 19:47
UAV689, thank you, best of luck to you and all the others. :ok:
POL

UAV689
14th Sep 2005, 19:50
Pole hill out of curiosity what was your experience? PPL, ATPL?? My head is playing games...and the scary part is there is still loads more selection to do!

Pole Hill
14th Sep 2005, 20:20
UAV689,
Check you PM's.
POL

Murray_NN
14th Sep 2005, 22:07
Just read the letter and I did not get through either guys. Good luck to those who are through. Well done!

Atlantic-44
15th Sep 2005, 09:58
To those who didnt get through, keep your chin up. Air Atlantique wasnt the first sponsorship I applied for, and had I not got in, it certainly wouldnt have been the last. The key is to keep trying. I got right through to the last stage on several sponsorship scheme applications before I got in with AA.

Congratulations to those that made it through - will see you shortly for the next stage, which I believe is a sim test and your first interview.

Atlantic-44

TenAndie
15th Sep 2005, 10:24
I still aint heard anything. I phoned this morning and they said i will be hearing this afternoon :ugh:

wingandprayer
15th Sep 2005, 10:35
Dont worry. Didnt get in either. You are either suited to night cargo or not. Take it is a compliment not as a slight. Horses for courses.

TenAndie
15th Sep 2005, 10:42
I suggest a hint of bitterness :*

Atlantic-44
15th Sep 2005, 19:28
Atlantic Airlines do the night cargo work. Air Atlantique operate both cargo and passenger, but mostly passenger. They currently operate three ATR42's in passenger config (as well as many other aircraft), so you'd be flying up to 50 passengers during all hours on the ATR's.

I know I said keep your chin up, but the "I didnt wanna work there anyway" attitude isnt ideal when looking for sponsorships.

Space_odyssey
15th Sep 2005, 20:40
Atlantic 44

Do you mean to say Atlantic wasn`t your first choice, outrageous, lol !!!!

Mate, you`re gonna have to change that username, I`m sure I could probably dig out a few for you !

I`m impressed on how informative you`ve been (you`ll be taking Kay`s job next, lol !), I could never take it seriously enough, keep up the good work !

"I`m Awesome"

Murray_NN
15th Sep 2005, 20:50
Space_odyssey

Atlantic 44 has been very informative and helpful. He is sponsored by AA and gave us first-hand experienced advice. Where as you sound like someone who is disgruntled at your own failure.

UAV689
15th Sep 2005, 20:50
got the email today....said thanks but no thanks..:{

seriously thinking about jacking the whole idea in, becoming rapidily unfeasible the more i think about it

good luck to the rest of u

Space_odyssey
16th Sep 2005, 00:16
"Atlantic 44 has been very informative and helpful. He is sponsored by AA and gave us first-hand experienced advice. Where as you sound like someone who is disgruntled at your own failure"

Who`s this muppet !

See what I mean 44, no sense of humour, that`s why I never use this thing ! Hey, wind-up without even trying ! Anyway, seeya next week.

16th Sep 2005, 07:34
Dunno who Atlantic 44 is but I met space once and he's awesome!

Pole Hill
16th Sep 2005, 07:59
UAV689,
seriously thinking about jacking the whole idea in, becoming rapidily unfeasible the more i think about it
I know how you feel.
I'll have to spend another £20k to finish my training, only for airlines like Thomas Cook and Excel to say, "You're modular, you are inferior, go away, when we want low hour pilots, we'll go to Oxford and get the Integrated guys." :rolleyes:

But I'm still determined to get there, and show the airlines that modular trained pilots can be as good a pilot, if not better, than integrated. :cool:

Best of luck to you whatever you do, :ok:
POL

Space_odyssey, people on here do have a sense of humour. :D It\'s sometimes difficult, because of the lack of features we take for granted when actually speaking to somebody, i.e the intonation of their voice, to determine who is being saracastic, and who is just having a bit of fun. Thats what the faces to the left were invented for ;)

Keep that in mind next time you post. :ok:
All the best, :)
POL :O

Atlantic-44
17th Sep 2005, 17:12
Hey space,

You causing trouble again? Tut-tut! And just because of being disgruntled at your own failure, heh-heh!

Atlantic-44

P.S. I suppose the 72 type rating is coming before the hire car one :p

Atreyu
5th Oct 2005, 20:11
Anyone heard anything back? I rang Kay and she said I had gotten through, just wondering who else got through?

Thanks

Iain

Atreyu
6th Oct 2005, 19:25
Just an update, apparently Kay has had to take some time off so that's why no-one has heard anything, it seems i caught her the hour she was in the office. I guess the people there haven't gotten round to us. Fair play, I guess we're the least of an airlines worries. :sad:

Iain

llien14
7th Oct 2005, 12:13
Atreyu,

thanks for that post and the update.
I had heard i had gotten through as well but heard nothing after that, I had phoned when Kay wasnt in the office!
Hopefully see you in coventry soon anyway.

llien

Atreyu
8th Oct 2005, 19:54
thanks, keep us posted, PM me if u get any news.

behind_the_second_midland
8th Oct 2005, 21:45
apparently Kay has had to take some time off so that's why no-one has heard anything,

That sums up Atlantic, I'm afraid

9th Oct 2005, 14:12
That sums up Atlantic, I'm afraid

Yes. Heaven forbid. A company that lets its employees have time off.

Atreyu
9th Oct 2005, 16:26
sour grapes from behind_the_second_midland I sense. Besides it's nothing to do wtih Atlantic, it's an Air Atlantique sponsorship, Atlantic run their own.

Atreyu
10th Oct 2005, 16:04
I rang Kay today, she said she was going to get a date from the flight instructor and then let us know by good old electronic mail :D

So start checking your inboxes people :D

x-Atreyu-x

Atreyu
20th Oct 2005, 15:34
Anyone who is through could they PM or reply. Just see who made it :D

well excited :D

x-Atreyu-x

daisy bender
20th Oct 2005, 22:06
Atreyu

I suppose you got the same email as me today. I am going on the 26th at 11. What about you? Glad that we have a date for it now! Something to look forward to!

ca

jau
7th Nov 2005, 11:43
Hi all,

Regarding Air Atlantique;
Could anyone inform me how long it takes for a successful applicant to be processed through the selection for pilot sponsorship? I have recently managed to fullfill their minimum requirements and intend to launch an application, when is the next round of test starting?

Thanks for your help.

Conc
9th Nov 2005, 13:25
The sponsership recruitment happens whenever there is the need. CV can be held for a while before invite to initial interview. I would hazard the next intake will be around the end of the year or early in the new year. From call for interview to start date can be very quick, a couple of weeks! Good luck with the application.

Space_odyssey
9th Nov 2005, 21:46
Didn`t realise you were working for HR now Conc !

Yeah, they`re gonna need to get ppl through quick the rate they`re goin through cadets at the moment !

jau
10th Nov 2005, 01:18
Thanks for the help. Sounds good, reason I asked is because my current job is going to send me away for a year in July and I need to get things moving!

Atreyu
13th Nov 2005, 22:44
Hi people, well I have gotten through the testing so far for the Air Atlantique sponsorship, and have my final interview this wednesday. :D

Anyone got any advice, had some interview experience, any things I should know? I've tried finding details on routes but can't find anything, I'm sure it's because they are ad hoc charter etc, but I wanna be sure. Decent things to ask at interview?

Any help very much appreciated!

AT

mikeEGNT
9th Jan 2006, 00:15
Hi,

I have been told many things about the pilot sponsorship offered by Air Atlantique. I am currently doing my module studies with Bristol Ground School and am nearing the end of the course and considering my options for the next stage. My question is does anyone have an experience with Air Atlantique and does the sponsorship prove to be valuable to gaining a job in the airline market. Also another option i am looking at is the professional flight training course with Anglo American and becoming an instructor over their for valuable hour building and then converting licenses in the UK.

All comments and feedback appreciated.

Regards Mike

Captain_Scooby
9th Jan 2006, 15:19
You'd be bonded to Air Atlantique for 5 years. Check your PMs.

nick14
9th Jan 2006, 22:52
i believe it is 7yrs

Atreyu
10th Jan 2006, 19:06
The bond is 4 years upon issue of CPL/IR. The training is approx 15 months.

AT

wordyuk
14th Jan 2006, 17:18
The full commitment is 6 years, the first two years are spent gaining the frozen ATPL, within this time you are expected to undertake some operational duties.

I have just recieved an application form for the sponsorship however I still need to find out more information myself, such as what aircraft willbe flown once the ATPL is gained and whether ud just be expected to fly ad hoc charter flights etc.

flugholm
14th Jan 2006, 17:37
A lot of questions are answered here:
http://www.atlanticdhg.com/sitvac.asp

Grrrrrr, both I and Mrs f are too old for this...!

Atreyu
14th Jan 2006, 18:25
The full commitment is 6 years,
Well, my contract states 14 months is the typical length of the training phase, followed by a 4 year bond period with the company. it's a smidge over 5 years to be accurate.
and whether ud just be expected to fly ad hoc charter flights etc.
What did you expect? :ok:
You say that like a bad thing... getting paid for flying aeroplanes, and having your training fully paid for. Jump at the chance!
AT :cool:

wordyuk
14th Jan 2006, 18:41
Definitely not a bad thing, but obviousley a first officer for a larger airline would do much more flying.

That answers another one of my thoughts, whether it is fully paid for or not, that is good.

Do you get told before or after your training which aircraft you will be flying the ATR72-201, ATR42-300, Metro III or the Citation? I know that they cant definitely say you will be on a certain type, however do they say upon successful completion of training you will probably be flying.....?

Atreyu
14th Jan 2006, 18:56
check your pm's wordyuk

TenAndie
14th Jan 2006, 20:28
The sponsorship scheme is a fantastic thing. You get your training paid for...and you get a free house to live and spending money whilst you do it !

For Atlantique you would be put on a Cessna 310 or 406 for 18months, doing some real fun flying (50ft over the sea at 200 kt) and you would be flying max hours which means you would be a captain quicker when put onto the ATR.

Just think about it....there are so many low houred pilots out there with 60 grand of debt over there head and little chance of a job that would dream of getting onto the scheme ! People think they can go to Oxford and pay 60 grand then walk into a jet job with no probs; it doesnt happen.

Good Luck :ok:

Atreyu
14th Jan 2006, 20:35
Couldn't have put it better!

Captain_Scooby
15th Jan 2006, 23:12
In the summer months, you'll find that those that have just finished the course, and have started flying, are actually battling to stay under the 100hrs per 28 days limit. Its also one of the fastest placest to get your command.

You'll fly a lot more than you would being a first officer for a large airline.

Conc
18th Jan 2006, 10:24
Amount of flying varies depending on which fleet you are on with the ATR being the busiest. Company budgets on each pilot doing about 500hours a year.

AeroEng
30th Jan 2006, 13:48
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the typical wage a cadet on Atlantique Airways (or any similar) cadet program.

If i am correct it is 18 months of training followed by approx. 4 years bonded to the company.

I would just like to know how much a cadet is likely to earn as obviously the cost of the training would be a factor in this.

Any information about this would be much appreciated.

Happy flying

Captain_Scooby
30th Jan 2006, 15:09
£300/month

gwtw
12th Feb 2006, 22:23
does anyone know roughly what the application/acceptance ratio is for the cadet scheme??

obviously on the surface it sounds like a great deal, but if its 1 out of 100 that get in then it starts to look like a pipe dream rather than a realistic prospect.

also.......how many cadets are taken on a year?

i know there may be no definitive answers but any rough ideas is a start

CHEERS
gwtw.

Boingy
13th Feb 2006, 12:34
I am attending an interview with Highland Airways, on Wednesday 15th February, (part of Air Atlantique) for the sponsorship scheme, if you have the minimum requirements you would be barmy not to apply.

In an industry where it is routine to have £60-100K debt the idea of having my training paid for, then being employed for a minimum of 4 years building up a few thousand hours of twin time it is a rare opportunity that cannot be turned down.

By applying what do you have to lose? If you are starting with nothing, applying for something - how can you be any worse off?

Air Atlantique, I believe, only run the schemes when they have a need for it. The last intake was in December. If you apply now your details are held for the next intake.

I begrudge (maybe too harsh...) the people who are doing intergrated courses and finishing with 250 hours, jumping into the right hand seat as FO. Not because of jealousy, but are they actually getting the thrill of real hands on flying. Ultimately, an airline job is the goal. But real hands on, seat of the pants flying is where the enjoyment is. I'm too young to become a bus driver yet...

gwtw
13th Feb 2006, 15:08
Boingy,

good luck with the interview on wednesday.

do u know anything about the numbers appplying / numbers taken on?

let us know how u get on with the interview.

Boingy
14th Feb 2006, 12:09
I do not know how many have applied, but do know that group interviews are being held today (14/2/06) and tomorrow (15/2/06). How many will be attending have no idea.

Will let you know...

14th Feb 2006, 15:36
You'll fly a lot more than you would being a first officer for a large airline

Unfounded / baseless rubbish.

Who comments on these things....?

Space_odyssey
14th Feb 2006, 16:51
Air Atlantique is the place to be, they wait for customers to come to them rather than approach potential customers so that crews can spend more time on standby, very thoughtful of them !

All the crews are highly trained professionals in killing time ! Staring out the window watching all the other airlines go flying is just one out of a number of ways of killing time.

Seriously though, the flying comes and goes but on the whole, don`t expect to get a lot of flying in this place !

nezer
10th Mar 2006, 18:41
Hi there everyone,this is my first time on PPRN. Iam struggerling to find ways to fund my training for a atpl. I have applied for a cadet sponsorship @ air atlantique! Has anyone ever applied for this sponsorship?how did they get on?what is the process you have to go through to be offerd a place?and any tips on how to do well in these applications?is there any test ect...? sorry have so many questions hopefully someboady can answer them. many thanks look forward to talking to you all and maybe helping others one day. cheers nezer:)

heinzmanm
12th Mar 2006, 10:19
I imagine that there will be several stages to go through (and pass) before you will be offered a sponsorship. It could well be computer based tests or McQuaig written tests which enable the airline to see the type of person that you are and how you will fit in, should you be succesful.
One further comment - and please don't take this too personally - but I noticed quite a few fairly basic spelling mistakes in your post. Many of the tests that airlines use for selection will test your vocabulary, construction of sentences and also if you can fit the correct word into a sentence. It may not be a bad idea to try and work on improving this, as any airline will be unlikely to look past these which may result in you being rejected from your initial application.

Matt

wbryce
13th Mar 2006, 10:38
As Heinz has suggested. I attended Air Atlantiques last sponsorship intake and the McQuaigs written test is a :mad:. Its a harsh way to seperate many young enthusistic wannabes but its a dog eat dog industry.

Good luck with your future intentions.

atlantique
16th Mar 2006, 19:48
Hi there, i am currently a cadet with air atlantique and thought i might be able to shed a bit of light on the company and its cadet scheme. The initial application should be sent to Kay Coley in the form of a CV and covering letter (Address: Air Atlantique, Dakota House, Coventry, Warwickshire, CV8 3AZ). However to even make it past the first hurdle you will need a PPL and a class 1 medical don't even bother applying until you have both of these as you will only get told to go and get them both before you apply again! The interview stage is split in to 3 stages, the first stage involves basic english, maths and science tests, all GCSE level and a Mcquaig tests. They are not difficult but can catch people out if they aren't careful. The second stage involves a sim run in a DA42 or King Air, you dont need to be able to fly them well just show that you can learn and show a basic apptitude for flying, you will also have a simple interview nothing difficult here just get to know you questions and finding out why you want o join a comapny like air atlantique which does things in a less than modern fashion! The final stage involves a flying check out which is to get a better look at your flying and to see how you learn, based on a GFT but no Nav, best tip here is to fly smoothly, keep it co-ordinated and be safe (Good look out) you don't need to be a skygod if you think you are one then keep that to yourself and prove it with your flying. The cadets are typically down to earth characters and so if you do ever apply and make it through to interview be yourself and dont be affraid to have a good chat, the only way you will make it onto the scheme is by selling yourself! (That doesn't meant bragging though!!!!) I will warn you that the scheme is bloody hard work you will get only 1 week off in the first year if you pass all your exams! You will have to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. In return you do get a lot in return (namely ATPL and most likely type ratings on ATR42, C406).You will get paid £300 a month but you do get a free house with all the bills paid so it isn't too bad as long as you dont get too excited on the weekly shop! You will normally fly on average an hour or so a week depending on previous experience. There are 3 cadet aircraft that are used during training; C-152 tail dragger, HR200, and Maule MX-7. Hope this helps a bit but please remember if you do apply its your attitude that will get you through the interview and tests aswell as get you through the scheme (Namely have a good sense of humour and accept for 18 months your life will be controlled by someone else and that friends and family will have to come second). The scheme is certainly not for everyone and you need to make sure it is. Hope to see your applications in the post soon.
PS Girls have found it harder to get on the scheme in the past for some reason, but they should apply as someone has to get through!!

Grampianhills
16th Mar 2006, 23:36
If you look very carefully there should be no reason to strugle unless you are already in a lot of detb. Stapleford Flight Centre has a deal with Barclays for almost a full loan on there course, as cabair and oxford with HSBC.

There is always a way so don't panic about sponsorships etc, but give them ago and see what happens!

Good luck!

redhotchilly28
30th Mar 2006, 16:12
I Agree with what has been said about the interview and selection procedure, just to reinforce what atlantique said that the cadet scheme is for a certain type of person, you have to work well under pressure, work hard, work long hours, and still smile at the end of it.. Dont expect to get weekends off, or pulic holidays.. if you work on that basis, then any time you do get is a bonus, thats my theory! I love it and cant believe how lucky i am, but i have known of some who find it difficult and if you do not have the right attitude, no matter how bright you are, chances are you wont get the job. The atlantique pilots are some of the best guys around, down to earth, and know where they come from, as well as having a lot of hours as "hands on" pilots, this provides such a good basis for your career.. If you do work hard and as i do, enjoy the scheme, you reep the benefits, as mentioned, the fugs have access to aircraft and are encouraged to fly.. If you need any further help. PM me
Good Luck!

nezer
31st Jul 2006, 15:44
hi there all i recently passed my ppl and want to become a professional pilot!!! (one day) i only have 5 G.C.S.E's including maths/English/science all grade C and above. I recently got a application form from air atlantiuque as they only seemed to be the only ones to accept people for sponsorship without A-levels.Many people are telling me I'm wasting my time as 95% of the people who win the cadet ships are well more educated than me!! Is this true? can anyone shed any light on this? also if i got a night/IMC/ and multi rating before applying would this stand me in better stead? and finally what is there testing procedure you have to get through and can i practice for these via books ect...? I know i have asked alot but any information is much appreciated!!!!! cheers all NEZER:ok:

BlueRobin
31st Jul 2006, 18:03
I think they only people who can truly answer your question is Atlantic.

scruggs
31st Jul 2006, 18:17
Taken from http://www.airatlantique.co.uk/

Current Sponsorship
CADET PILOT SPONSORSHIP
Air Atlantique offers CPL pilot sponsorship courses throughout the year. The ideal candidates for selection must meet the following basic requirements;
a) Hold a valid PPL (A)
b) Hold a valid Class One JAR Medical
c) Hold a valid UK driving licence
d) Be aged between 18 and 25 years
e) Be in possession of the right to live and work within theEU
If you are successful, you will be required to relocate to Coventry on a permanent basis.
The Company provides accommodation for the first phase of sponsorship.
You will undertake a tightly controlled training course, which will involve period of ground school, self-study and flying training elements as appropriate.
A period of duties within the Airline Operations Department along with many other operational and general tasks will also be required of you during the first phase of your sponsorship.
In recognition of the Sponsorship provided an agreement for a minimum period of approximately four years after qualification is required. You can expect to qualify with a CPL/IR (Frozen ATPL) within approximately 18 months, after which time, the remaining period of the sponsorship will be the minimum expected duration of employment within the Air Atlantique Group.

Nowhere here does it state educational essentials. Although, most companies I would have thought (hoped), would have minimum educational requirement.

scruggs
31st Jul 2006, 18:20
On a separate note. With the new age discrimination laws coming into play, does this mean Air Atlantique and Highland Airways will no longer be able to impose such age restrictions?

Miked
31st Jul 2006, 18:24
Just to boost your confidence, I had A-levels and a public school education, the guy that got the cadetship over me didn't have A-levels either. They don't like the silver spoon candedate, so if you show them you are determined and willing to give everything up for flying then you are in with a chance!

I have spoken since with many of the guys there including the chief pilot and the general theme is that they want people who are gonna stay with them for a good period.

That said, the "Fuglyship" is really tough going and takes alot of determination to get through and the job at the end is just as hard. They tend to burn there pilots out. Hence thay want to see that you have staying power.

Best of Luck (trying popping into AFT and seeing if there is a cadet around to have a chat with!!)

Mike

Jakey-wakey
5th Aug 2006, 02:30
Going back to a previous post - why does it seem harder for girls to get selected on Highland/Atlantique-type sponsorships?

Are males 'prefered' (I know that for legal reasons either company are unlikely to admit to this!) for some reason? Or is it simply a matter of numbers, and there are many more lads applying than girlies?

Just interested...

Cheers,
Jake

hingey
7th Aug 2006, 18:30
At the recent Atlantic Airlines intake, there was only one girl of about 20 hopefuls at the first stage, and she didn't make it. To my knowledge there has only been one "mother fug" at Coventry, as the rest haven't been what the company are looking for. At least it proves there isn't 'positive discrimination' towards females there.

h

atlantique
8th Aug 2006, 15:15
Are males 'prefered' (I know that for legal reasons either company are unlikely to admit to this!) for some reason? Or is it simply a matter of numbers, and there are many more lads applying than girlies?

Being very careful how i put this! i would say guys are 'prefered' now.. as there have been a few problems in the past with female 'Fugleys'! The numbers game will always come into play with aviation jobs as 90% of applicants are guys. The other problem with the Fugley scheme is that it is geared towards guys with the type of work they do without trying to sound too sexist!! They like to work Fugleys VERY hard and put them under plenty of mental pressure to see if they will succumb, and if they do there are plenty more victims that will try and get through the fickle and ever arduous standards that are set. Equality and sympathetic are not words banded around at AAT, more common are 'get the job done' and 'how can you be tired you've only worked a 51, 90 hour weeks in a row without any days off!' 'Working time directive? that doesn't apply to us!' With Fugley attrition rate standing attrition rate standing at a conservative 70% for the last few years why would any female (or guy) want to try there luck...!!??

JAW656
19th Aug 2006, 14:20
Hello all

I handed in my application to Atlantic Flight training a week ago now, they said they would pass on my application to Air Atlantiques offices. Now this was last wednesday and i havnt had any conformation that my application has been recieved, ive been told by a few pilots not to call them as it looks like im being too pushy.

How long did it take them to send you a letter confirming they have received your application, or do they not send one.

Thanks for any reply, im starting to get a bit concerned. :confused:

James

Will88
19th Aug 2006, 16:41
The other problem with the Fugley scheme is that it is geared towards guys with the type of work they do without trying to sound too sexist!!

What kind of work do they do?

redhotchilly28
19th Aug 2006, 19:24
Be aware that they get a lot of applications and it may take a few weeks, or even a month to get a letter saying they have the app! likely you wonthear much until they are recruiting, but its worth keeping them up-to-date with flying hours etc.. although, dont call after every time you have been flying, this could get a little annoying!!

JAW656
23rd Aug 2006, 16:43
Well, i sent Air Atlantique an email updating my application and it turns out Atlantic flight training didnt pass on my application as they told me they would. Air Atlantique said they would chase my application up but ill send another anyway tommorow.

:( :* :{ :ugh:

BlueRobin
23rd Aug 2006, 19:27
Careful, AFT and AA are only indirectly linked these days. The AFT admin ladies are very busy.

JAW656
25th Aug 2006, 16:06
Im sure the admin ladies are very busy, its just that the pilot i gave my app to said he would go and deliver it to AA reception for me. Minor set back but hey ill look at the bright side.... :}

JAW656
29th Aug 2006, 15:31
I was at wellesbourne today (29/08), was going flying but didnt in the end. Anyway I was just leaving and saw an atlantic flight training Diamond twin star doing circuits, go arounds. Was it any one of you guys doing a air atlantique cadetship?

redhotchilly28
30th Aug 2006, 05:04
If you saw a DA42, it wouldnt be a cadet for either airlines or atlantique.. They fly the PA44, because it is more like the aircraft we will be flying once qualified ie the 402s and the likes (although airlines do move in a slightly different direction), although the DA42 is nice, i dont think it is particularly well suited to our initial jobs..

BlueRobin
31st Aug 2006, 19:55
I handed in my application to Atlantic Flight training a week ago now

Who did you give the form to? :E

Cirrus_Clouds
31st Aug 2006, 20:02
LOL!! ..nice one! :ok:

Yes, a slight problem there, always read specified application instructions!

JAW656
3rd Sep 2006, 18:04
yeah i know laugh it up :} , i read the instructions....anyway they have my app now so it doesnt matter. :)

Slow Progress
5th Oct 2006, 20:34
Does anybody know if the Air Atlantique Sponsorship upper age limit is likely to be removed in the near future as the new laws for age discrimination have now come into effect??:)

Slow Progress

CPL_Ace
6th Oct 2006, 11:28
Is anyone on this thread working now with Atlantique. Can you tell me a few things about the day to day.

It sounds exciting on their web site but:

What are you actually flying initially and what for (they have several different services)
How long do they bond you for the type rating?
Is it as much fun as it sounds and do you get the hours from day one or do you build up over time?
How much are they paying (ball park - don't want to be rude!)?

A quick post about an AAT Fo's day would be really great for me

Cheers

Slow Progress
12th Oct 2006, 10:04
Does anybody know if the Air Atlantique Sponsorship upper age limit is likely to be removed in the near future as the new laws for age discrimination have now come into effect??:)

Slow Progress

Can anybody in the know comment on this please???

Slow Progress

scroggs
12th Oct 2006, 10:22
Why don't you give them a call? They are best placed to answer your question!

Scroggs

Slow Progress
12th Oct 2006, 12:56
Yet again I've been shot down in flames. I am too old apparently. How 26yrs old is too old I don't know.

Slow Progress is getting even slower!!!

Slow Progress

Captain Spam Can
12th Oct 2006, 20:03
Slow Progress, the chances actually getting a sponsorship are tiny. Look at how many pilots in airline got there by being sponsored (i rekon about 1 in 10 eh if that), so dont be too cut up about not being eligible too apply. As i guess you dont have 60 grand too hand (how many people do?) but there are ways to get money not just by loans but i mean by working and saving, selling the house etc etc until you do get further along the training and then you might have to take a loan who knows, but there are ways. All im saying is that wanting to be a pilot is a selfish career choice in that you need the backing of family and friends (and the missus!!) in that when things have to be put on hold like nights out, expensive clothes etc, people understand. Start now before you do actually get too old and start regretting it!!!! :}

Highplainsdrifter.
2nd Nov 2006, 01:34
CPL Ace

You start flying for the Atlantic Recon, then move to ATR stuff. What recon get up to is decribed via a link on www.airatlantique.co.uk (http://www.airatlantique.co.uk) . Recon aircraft are C402/ C404 and reims 406 turboprop.

The main bit of the bond is for the training for the CPL/IR. This runs for 4 years. You're generally a fugly for 18 months.

Yeah. Loads of fun and the crew are a good bunch. Sodding hard work tho and we keep odd hours when working. Typical lifestyle for recon is on call 24/7. Mixture of call outs for pollution control and survey flights. Some maritime patrol flights are scheduled. I think thats all. Check out PPjn for pay scales

Cheers.

PPL152
4th Nov 2006, 15:14
You can apply anytime for this sponsorship?

hingey
6th Nov 2006, 21:39
You can apply any time of year so long as you meet the requirements, just download a form from the Atlantic Flight Training website or ask Atlantique for one. Selection is about every 6 months but there is no set date, as they recruit as and when they need cadets.

h

Atlantic-44
7th Nov 2006, 16:25
AAT have had a high rate of booting cadets over the past couple of years. So even if you get onto the scheme, dont expect to make it to the end. You'll work hard, and they still might dump you if you dont 'fit in'.

Also take note that the Classic Fleet is up for sale, so if you're applying to fly the old stuff... think again.

ozzieb88
7th Nov 2006, 19:37
:mad: :mad: :mad: :ugh: :ugh:

if my f**king flying school didnt sell up and steal my £4000 i woulkd have had my ppl, i feel like crap. trying the courts now for some sort of money back. i really wanted to apply to this next year after my college. how often is this scheme running?

oz

redhotchilly28
8th Nov 2006, 14:10
Hi Atlantic 44,
You must be one of the senior cadets by now, im guessing your a cadet by your name and the length of time on this thread .. So what do you fly? Im guessing you did your hard work and have now got a great job unlike so many cadets who werent good/lucky enough to get through.. What is it you were saying about not getting to fly on classic flight? last time i looked they were still part of the company.. although I guess with you having insider information amd working there, then it is going to be very close to the truth..
Thanks for all the really helpful information you give..

Atlantic-44
8th Nov 2006, 15:14
Sarcasm doesn't become you, RHC28. Check your PM's.

Classic Flight may still be part of the company now, but a cadetship takes on average 18 months, and the CF is up for sale now.

BlueRobin
11th Nov 2006, 08:43
As with anything that was or is part of the Atlantique Group, things seem to happen when they happen. This is true for when cadetship slots come up or when Classic Flight gets sold. :)

hingey
12th Nov 2006, 16:05
IIRC there was a selection in about June 2004, then again in 2005. Atlantique didn't have one this summer, but Atlantic Airlines did. They are also bringing up a couple cadets in a month or so.

There are no fixed intake dates, they simply bring up new people when they're needed.

h

BYALPHAINDIA
27th Nov 2006, 01:35
There was an Article in Airliner World about a 24 year old Captain flying the Electra at Atlantic cargo.

He started when he was 17 getting a PPL, then joined Air Atlantic's Flight training school. He then gained his CPL/IR and subsequently Frozen ATPL.

He also flew the DC3 and other company Aircraft.

At 24 He is said to be the youngest Captain?

Regards.

wordyuk
30th Nov 2006, 14:49
Selection did take place this summer for Atlantique. Its more than Likely that more selection will take place in January depending on the status of the company i.e. if it still exists and has not been sold to the likes of Air Task.

Tonka Toy
30th Nov 2006, 16:19
Who the hell are Aero Tech? - do we mean Air Task Plc per chance?!

The 24 year old was 'The bridge' -rarely seen here now but a good pair of hands which explains the occupation of a BA triple seven seat now I think.

wordyuk
1st Dec 2006, 13:14
yeah thats who i meant knew it began with an 'A'

MikeSamuel
27th Mar 2007, 12:18
Has anyone heard any details of when the next recruitment for the cadet scheme will be, if there is going to be another one?

I have had a letter back saying they'll let me know - but I wondered if anyone has heard any whispers.

Stall-turn-Go
27th Mar 2007, 13:54
I have spoken to them recently and it seems they were going through some sort of management buy out or re-structure or something so they were going to wait for the dust to settle a while before progressing anything, but keep your finger on the pulse!

redhotchilly28
8th Apr 2007, 23:54
Hi,

Just to let you eager fugs-to-be.. your right about the buy out thing, as we all know, AAQ have stopped operating ATRs.. and recon have now split from the group (nearly) This has Pros and cons, but as for you guys trying to get in, i can only see it as a slight advantage, as now AACF will take on fugs to be specifically AACF pilots, Im guessing anyway, they need someone to to the mugs! and RVL will take on fugs to be recon guys like us, either way im sure its a good way to start.. RVL is still based at CVT in one of the hangars and im sure it will thrive now a lot of the 'fat' has been removed..

there seems to be a lot of negativity among the flyers at the moment about getting rid of ATRs.. which i somewhat agree with, from a career POV, well MCC aircraft doing the cool type of work we did, well it would be fun and good for the career.. But at the end of the day, any for who may be disuaded from applying should think about the short-term, getting a foot on the ladder and getting some good experience from either classic or recon.. both have good types of flying.. Being a fug is a whole heap more than flying.. and the wrong type of organisation can turn you into a t**t, believe me, you will see them.. being a fug seems to get your flying to A1 standard (in my case D7!) and makes you a better person in general, on the way expect a varied life, never knowing whats happening tomorrow and meeting some great piers and making great friends. great times!!

RHC28

Jay_solo
10th Jul 2007, 17:13
To clarify, when they say 26, do they mean.....

Up until the day you turn 26?

26 and 1/2?

or any time after your 26th birthday, but before you turn 27?

Please advise.

Thanks

:ok:

Gingerbread Man
13th Aug 2007, 20:48
I've been looking at Atlantiques website (and this thread) and couldn't work out which bits were still there and which weren't. Having been told to 'come back in a year' by CTC, i'm going to apply for AA, but wondered a few things, namely;

(Assuming for the sake of the question that they don't sell the classic aircraft) Do the pilots they sponsor get to fly the classic stuff? The website seemed to list a lot of volunteer pilots, and it would seem strange to pay to train me to fly a Hunter if someone would gladly do it for free.

Has anyone made the move from AA to a jet operator and what was the process/ how hard was it?

Cheers and apologies if they seem like bonehead questions.

Ginger ;)

Miles_JAN
14th Aug 2007, 07:49
Air Atlantique doesn't exist per se - through a collection of management buyouts it's all been split up a bit. The old Air Atlantique Group was comprised of Atlantic Airlines, Air Atlantique, AA Classic Flight, Air Atlantique Recon, and (I think) Atlantic Express.

Atlantic Airlines have the electra's and ATP's, and do all the freight.

The Classic Flight are still owned and run as a profit making venture (apparently) by Mike Collett, who was the original head of the Air Atlantique Group.

The Recon setup was bought out by it's management and now operates as "Reconnaisance Ventures Ltd" doing the MCA and coastguard operation with the big little cessnas.

Atlantic Express is curretly sat dormant.

Confused yet? I was - happy to stand corrected though. It's worth pointing out that Atlantic Airlines have just run an intake for their cadet scheme, so it'll most likely be another 4-6month before they run another one.

And don't get your hopes up - the hunter is under restoration ;-).

M.

r44flyer
16th Aug 2007, 12:13
Is Atlantic still accepting applications for the cadet scheme at the moment?

The scheme was brought to my attention in Pilot magazine, where it doesn't state the requirement for a Class 1 on application, as it does on the Atlantic website. If they are still entertaining applicants I'll be off down to Gatwick to be poked and prodded by the men in white coats asap.

L A James
16th Aug 2007, 14:27
I spotted the same add in the same mag and rang up to speak to 'Debi'. Instead I spoke to a a very friendly chap who told me she's on hols and will be back next week.

The ad also says that they require a PPL and there are only 2 places.

More to the point, I'm wondering, is how the Classic Flight makes it's money? Most of the pilot listed on the website are actually volunteers and I can't imagine that the company rakes in millions by flying at airshows etc.

I for one will be calling Debi next week as this sounds like the best flying available outside of the military!

L A

BlueRobin
16th Aug 2007, 15:00
Mike was in the local paper iirc the other week stating CF need to take on more permanent pilots; the plan (and that is just what it is for now) is to move away from Coventry and grow the business. The two Jons seem to do the bulk of the flying at the moment.

luigi_m_
30th Aug 2007, 21:21
What is the closing date for the 2007 entry, and can someone suggest a website that lists places I can get a Class1 medical done, or will a promise that I'm clean be sufficient as they are pretty expensive.

bri1980
30th Aug 2007, 21:42
Luigi,

Will this be your first Class 1. If it is, you can only get it done at Gatwick. If not, and Aviation medical examiner will do-I'm sure there must be a list on the CAA website.

B

L A James
31st Aug 2007, 09:04
Has anyone got a reply on their application yet?

L A

Miles_JAN
31st Aug 2007, 10:02
Atlantic have just recruited so don't expect to hear anything anytime soon. But don't give up on it totally...

31st Aug 2007, 10:27
there seems to be a lot of negativity among the flyers at the moment about getting rid of ATRs.. which i somewhat agree with

A CPL/IR and a job at the end of it ??

The ATRs were making a huge loss for the company. Recon helped pay the salaries during the quiet times. I can understand why some might be disappointed, but negative? Think yourself lucky you guys aren't on the heap with all the other newly qualified pilots looking for work with debts to pay. . . :ugh:

L A James
6th Sep 2007, 07:54
Did anyone get through on this?

I was one of the unlucky ones... if you got an invite to stage 2 then congratulations!

L A

wordyuk
6th Sep 2007, 10:33
RVL Group are looking to take 2 or possibly 3 cadets starting sometime in October. The sponsorship includes 12 months duties in which time you will be expected to undertake operational duties and do lots of driving/flying jobs generally for crew positioning or aircraft maintenance purposes.

In the 1st 12 months you will also be enrolled on a distance learning ATPL course and undertake a structured hour building course in a C152 tail-wheel aircraft that is dedicated to RVL cadets - this is all part of the sponsorship.

The at the end of the 12 months duties you will complete the CPL/NQ/MEP/IR fully funded by the company. During your time as a cadet accommodation is provided and you will be paid around £400 a month.

RVL Group is the result of a management buy-out from the Air Atlantique Group so essentially applicants are applying for the old Air Atlantique sponsorship.

To apply you must meet the following criteria:

Hold a valid PPL (A)
Hold (or have held) a valid Class One JAR Medical
Hold a valid UK driving licence
Be aged between 18 and 25 years
Be in possession of the right to live and work within the EUContact me via email [email protected] or find the application at www.rvl-group.com (http://www.rvl-group.com).

Like I said, the company want new cadets to start in about 1 months time so you got to be quick with your applications.

John Alcock
12th Sep 2007, 15:22
That last post has rather confused me I'm afraid, having follwed this thread with a vested interest!

The Pilot article spoke of the sponsorship as though it were for the Classic Flight part of the company, although the conversation here ranges across Atlantic Airlines, Recon, Classic Flight and Air Atlantique! Can anyone clarify which part of the company was/is making the offer?

And now the RVL Group! Is this the same sponsorship deal? If so, should those who have already applied to Debi Unwin now re-apply to Margaret Royle, or will details be passed on?

LA James, commiserations. How did you find out (post/email/'phone etc)? If you don't mind, would you mind saying what experience you have to guage what the rest of us are up against.

Thanks

AlphaMale
12th Sep 2007, 15:53
To clarify, when they say 26, do they mean.....

Up until the day you turn 26?

26 and 1/2?

or any time after your 26th birthday, but before you turn 27?

I thought the upper age limit was 25? :confused:

If it was 26 or 27 then I guess I'd have a leg to stand on. Just need the a Class 1 and then an intense PPL course in the US :O

wordyuk
12th Sep 2007, 15:53
All confusing I know but to try and make it as simple as possible. Each individual company that was once part of the Air Atlantique Group has a requirement for their own cadets so they now run seperate sponsorships.

RVL Group (formally Atlantic Reconnaissance of the Air Atlantique Group now operating independantly):

Will be holding selection within the next couple of weeks and looking to take on 3 cadets. Applications to Margaret Royle and can be found on the RVL website. Upon completion of the cadetship, you will fly Cessna 310s, 402s, 404s and will be type rated on the Cessna F406 flying numerous contracts including the HM Coastguard, OSRL, Environment Agency, Ordnance Survey, MOD air taxi and so on.

Classic Flight (Still owned by Mike Collett and still trades under the name of Air Atlantique):

Applications to Debi Unwin and they are looking to take 2 cadets within the next few months. Not quite sure what they will have you flying at the end of it but will most likely be the DC3, Prentice and Twin Pin (but who ever mentioned flying the Hunter that wont happen coz its a rusty shell)

Atlantic Airlines (originally part of the Air Atlantique Group but was subject to a management buyout about 10 years ago and now like RVL, operate independantly)

Operate the Electras and ATPs doing freight work. They have recently taken on a couple of cadets so will not be taking anymore for another 6 months or so. Think the applications go to either Lucy Meardon or Ben Pinner.

I was a cadet for Air Atlantique covering duties for the whole group. I was then taken by RVL during the management buyout of Atlantic Reconnaissance to be an RVL cadet. This left the classic flight operation with no cadets to do driving jobs etc. This is why Classic flight and RVL are both advertising for cadets.

All three sponsorships require you to relocate to Coventry airport as all three companies are based in hangars situated next to each other (Hangars 5, 6 and 7) on the west side of Coventry airport.

All 3 sponsorships offer a fully funded CPL/IR and a GAURENTEED job in return for about 12 months duties as a cadet.

chileconcarne27
12th Sep 2007, 17:35
Is it still a requirement to hold a full PPL prior to applying to RVL, Classic Flight or Atlantic Airlines? Or do they now have different selection criteria?

wordyuk
12th Sep 2007, 17:45
All 3 have exactly the same requirements:

Hold a valid PPL (A)
Hold (or have held) a valid Class One JAR Medical
Hold a valid UK driving licence
Be aged between 18 and 25 years
Be in possession of the right to live and work within the EUIf you dont meet the above requirements then your application will not be considered.

L A James
13th Sep 2007, 12:00
John Alcock,

Thanks for the commiserations. I found out through good old fashioned royal mail about 1 week ago. It was a very polite, in depth letter and very honest about the situation... they admitted it was a standard reply that was being sent out to "99.99%" of the candidates. It gave a very good impression of the company and the way they work.

I don't have the letter with me at the moment (ppruning from my desk at work!) but they did go into detail about the candidates they are looking for. Do you want me to post that when I'm back home tonight?

I was over ambitious and applied even though I don't have a PPL(a). I have a PPL(g) with about 30ish hrs time FW and about 14 hrs RW (all air experience flights in the ATC).

Good luck.

Regards,

L A

John Alcock
13th Sep 2007, 16:27
LA James, thanks for the quick reply. I've not heard anything yet, but it's good to know the company takes time to respond. I was beginning to presume that no news meant I'd been scrapped already. Thanks also for your offer of the letter, but I'd imagine it's of limited use to me. While it might work for a day, I'm not sure I could keep up a false persona for an entire career! My situation's not too dissimilar to yours; I'll naturally let you know if I get any news. Best regards.