Computer/Internet Issues & TroubleshootingAnyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. We will also try and help with troubleshooting any technical problems you may have with the forums.
I have a dearly loved Cambridge DT2200 5.1 speaker system. These haven't been made for 10 years or so, but are still superior in many ways to todays crop of pc speaker systems imho.
The pot on the volume control is wearing out, giving me fluctuations in volume from time to time, so I need to replace it. Needless to say it's not available anymore, so if by any slim chance, anyone has one of these knocking about in a box somewhere, unused and unloved, Sprogget towers has ready cash waiting for you.
How about that? a reverse ad on PPRuNe. You could save my earholes.
Failing that, most pots are just bog-standard items. One of the main things is whether or not its Linear or Log or Log Log, etc., resistive and physical size is obvious, and remember, cutting the shaft must be done by clamping the bit that's coming off, in the vice. Not holding by 'tother end.
The pot is a B50k and I'm wise enough to know that I ain't going anywhere near a soldering iron. I've destroyed more expensive kit than this in the past waving a stick of hot metal around.
Boguing, I did what you suggest and so far so good. My trouble is that I have set up this system such that there is a speaker in each corner of the room with the wiring running around the top of the picture rails and chased in to the wall, so it is immovable.
New systems tend to have the controls fixed in to one of the speakers such that I would have to stretch up to the ceiling to turn the things on and off or get into some heavy splicing/re-wiring to make the thing work. A non starter for me.
I had a Cambridge Soundworks DT3500 system, but the head unit failed.
Very, very good it was too, up 'til then.
Like you, the corner speakers were fixed in awkward places, so I bought a Creative something 5.1 system, and just replaced the head unit and unpowered sub with the new powered sub and cabled all the other existing speakers back to that - fortunately there was enough slack in all the cables to do so.
It isn't as good as the DT3500, though.
You can't have everything - where would you put it?
Sprogget I found a guy in the North-west who is a dab hand with a soldering iron. He solved the dry joints problem of my much loved Sony ICF2001D. He specialises in repairing older electronic kit and charges are very reasonable. I will PM his contact details if that helps.
Thanks Mr Sr, but if i send it away to the far northwest. I'll be soundless for a week or more!
I've been reprieved for the time being by jiggling the pot and giving it a clean. As Saab says, I've looked into the idea of swapping the subwoofer out as speakers are speakers, but looking so far at Altec and Logitech stuff, the controls are wired into one of the satellite speakers, so it would require surgery to get them working with my particular setup.
It worries me that what ever follows won't be as good as what I have now, they really are a very good system.
This is a job for International Potentiometer Repair Man . When he has done yours, my surround sound amplifier needs his skills. Thinks is this pot failure; part of a subversive act by others who don't want their vocal volume to be exceeded?
Young people of today don't know how to fix things. My old science master's homemade t/v was 2 1/2" green screen. And then there was the bloke that breathed life into his tires every Sunday morning with Bandages and Bostic . . .
Had the same prob with the same kit,the VC was on a flat ribbon cable and got beyond help,took it apart squirted it with switch clean did the usual things but eventually got fed up and binned it,still it had lasted a long time.
Oh, the frustration of realising that the old eyes can't focus properly at soldering distance.
Took me several minutes to change out the pot that had gone noisy. Where I used to be able to hold the iron in one hand and the solder sucker in the other while balancing the device on my knee, now it's bench, "helping hands" and patience.