I say, do whatever you want to do with your money.
If it's a type rating you want to buy, then do so. (I wouldn't recommend financing it) Don't worry about 'the competition' if you wish to be more competitive.
What do you think the competition would recommend?
Here's the dilemma you face if you do get yourself type rated.
1) If you don't have a partner, you'll have to pay for one in the sim.
2) You'll have no time on type. (other than 32 hr. of sim)
3) If you don't have a similar type, you'll need to go and do three takeoffs and three landings in the aircraft.
4) Many in this country will hold it against you, mostly due to immaturity, envy, and jealousy on their part.
5) If you get on with any carrier in Canada, you'll only have to do the type rating over again, anyway.
So, in your own estimation, how far ahead of the game do you think it would it put you?
P.S. the 47 is on my bucket list, even if I have to pay for it.