Do I need an approval from a Part 21 organization (engineering) to use an ipad? Makes no sense at all, from my understanding this is an operational approval (except any hardware installed on the aircraft). Furthermore the text says " eliminating the need to read paper charts ", which does not mean that you have not to carry hard copies during flights.
Below text is copied from TGL 36
5.1.1 Class 1
Class 1 EFB systems are:
· Generally Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS)-based computer systems used for aircraft operations,
· Connect to aircraft power through a certified power source,
· Not attached to an aircraft mounting device,
· Considered as a controlled PED,
· Normally without aircraft data connectivity except under specific condition (see Section 6),
· Class 1 EFB systems do not require airworthiness approval.