PPRuNe Forums


ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th Jul 2017, 15:46   #3621 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: YMML
Posts: 1,476
There have been some fairly severe cutbacks, including training, so I suspect that's what you've run into. Considerably fewer courses are being run so the bar gets set commensurately higher.
le Pingouin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2017, 23:00   #3622 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Ahhhghhhhh yes they certainly have!

Application 3/16
Online Test 4/16
Pshyco Test 5/16
Phone Interview 7/16
Ass Centre 11/16
Air Services Cancelled Ass Centre 11/16
Email on the next Ass Centre dates 2/17
Then email 7/17 from Airservices containing this:

"We wish to acknowledge the calibre of applications received were assessed under our strict technical and competency criteria which meant that only a small portion i.e. 3% of the candidate profile group progressed through to our assessment centres."

That calibre assessment changed in the 9 months since being booked for the Assment Centre and then notified by email.
TropicofC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2017, 03:23   #3623 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by le Pingouin View Post
There have been some fairly severe cutbacks, including training, so I suspect that's what you've run into. Considerably fewer courses are being run so the bar gets set commensurately higher.
Yes I completely understand all of that, but the way I see it is, you can't have applicants approved to attend an Assessment Centre and then cancel/postpone it on them and then months down the track, send out an email stating you're deemed unsuccessful. Fair enough raise the bar higher, but raise it throughout the next recruitment phase.
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2017, 04:28   #3624 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: YMML
Posts: 1,476
The problem is a reduction in numbers is required at some stage of the process and for better or worse the earlier it occurs the cheaper it is. If you now only want say 20 trainees instead of 50 why run 200 through the Assessment Centre when you can achieve the same result by running 80 through?

I understand your frustration and wouldn't be happy if it were me but that's the reality.
le Pingouin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2017, 09:33   #3625 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: EH
Posts: 14
As far as it's true that people are discardable and replaceable, it's in very bad taste to treat them as such. Unprofessional to say the least, and possibly damaging trust for future applications.
LFVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2017, 13:59   #3626 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: YMML
Posts: 1,476
Communication never has been particularly good and I totally agree it's a less than fabulous way to treat applicants.
le Pingouin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2017, 14:11   #3627 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Osstraya
Posts: 23
Accommodation available in Melbourne for interstate/international trainees commencing at the Academy. Fully renovated and furnished house in leafy street only 12 minutes drive from the College of Knowledge. Facebook page with all the details...Super easy and you'll be living with other trainees who can give you a leg up.....PM me for details...PJ
puddlejumpers2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 01:27   #3628 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3
Thank you to all who shared their recent correspondence with Airservices.
Your situations are incredibly unfair - to be notified of your acceptance to the Assessment Centre, left waiting, some for many months, only to be later told that you are unsuccessful.
As disappointing as your outcomes have been to read about, it is such a valuable insight for people like myself who are considering going through this recruitment process.
I always figured that this highly sought after position would be very difficult to get into.
But it seems this goal is now even more difficult than ever before.
Cirrus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 07:45   #3629 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aimlessly wandering
Posts: 172
I completed the recruitment process and was deemed successful last October. Placed on a merit list waiting commencement of a course. Today I received an email saying they have moved the goal posts and I am no longer successful. I now have to tell my little girl that Daddy didn't get his new job and we won't get a new house. I am devastated. Thanks a lot you pack of arseholes.
50 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 20:31   #3630 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 7
It looks like this new staffing policy is subject to a lot of discussions...
This also sheds a new light on cancellation of international recruitments, the visa issue was perhaps only an excuse...
Has there been a change in management recently ?
How can it be possible that they made such a huge mistake in staffing numbers (previously or now) ?
Or is there something else ? Automation ? privatisation ?
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 01:14   #3631 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 50 View Post
I completed the recruitment process and was deemed successful last October. Placed on a merit list waiting commencement of a course. Today I received an email saying they have moved the goal posts and I am no longer successful. I now have to tell my little girl that Daddy didn't get his new job and we won't get a new house. I am devastated. Thanks a lot you pack of arseholes.
That's terrible news! I thought my experience was bad. Is that even legal or is there some type of process you could try to fight for your chance of being placed on a future course?
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 01:46   #3632 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
Keep your head up 50 50, I know it's disappointing but I'm sure the decision was made very high up in the chain. Given how long this recruitment process has spanned, maybe they have decided to start fresh for later this year, in which case you'd be pretty confident in your application considering how far you got last time.

On a separate note, and I hate to bring this up at such a time, but is there anyone controllers who could shed some light on typical rosters for tower controllers are at present? I know things have been posted in the past but we're talking 5+ years ago from what I can see.

Also, for those who have just completed training int the past 12 months, how successful were you with tower posting location preferences?

I'm looking at this as a potential career some time down the track and am curious as to how rosters and postings stack up against airline pilots, which was quite ad hoc and largely dependent on rank/experience.

Appreciate the help!
scott454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 04:33   #3633 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aimlessly wandering
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye85 View Post
That's terrible news! I thought my experience was bad. Is that even legal or is there some type of process you could try to fight for your chance of being placed on a future course?
There very well may be, but I have wasted enough of my time with these people. If this is the regard they have for people and their future then I think I will be better off elsewhere. Re applying would only invite a further waste of my valuable time. Good luck to those who prevailed. I have attached their heartfelt email for you perusal.

Re: Application Air Traffic Controller Traineeship

Firstly, thank you for your application and sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

Airservices has undergone an operational transformation program which has delayed recruitment activities for all areas of the business.

As such, we wish to inform you as part of the transformation program, we have reduced the number of traineeships which has resulted in your application results being recalibrated against our key selection criteria.

Unfortunately on this occasion, you have been unsuccessful in your application.

We wish to acknowledge the calibre of applications received were assessed under our strict technical and competency criteria which meant that only a very small portion i.e. 3% of the candidate profile group were successful in their application.

We thank you for your time, effort and dedication in completing the online application, telephone interview, OPQ testing and attending the Assessment Centre.

We wish you every success with your future career endeavours and strongly encourage you to re-apply in the near future. We anticipate the next intake for the Traineeship Program will take place on or about late 2017.

Yours sincerely,

People Services
Airservices Australia Pty Ltd
50 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 06:25   #3634 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: YMML
Posts: 1,476
Jack, the visa issue was coincident with the push to massively cut expenditure. ATC was removed from the list of eligible occupations making it much more difficult and much more expensive to obtain a visa, so recruitment of experienced foreign controllers would have almost certainly stopped regardless of the expenditure cuts.

No mistake in numbers required as we still need more in the long term - our age profile is rather top heavy with many set to retire in 5 to 10 years.

Such cuts go in cycles - new manager makes deep cuts to impress the bean counters then the organisation slowly expands over 15 or so years. Rinse and repeat.

50 50
, to be fair those were about your odds of passing the course and gaining a rating. Bit premature talking about new job and new house.
le Pingouin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 06:47   #3635 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aimlessly wandering
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by le Pingouin View Post
Jack, the visa issue was coincident with the push to massively cut expenditure. ATC was removed from the list of eligible occupations making it much more difficult and much more expensive to obtain a visa, so recruitment of experienced foreign controllers would have almost certainly stopped regardless of the expenditure cuts.

No mistake in numbers required as we still need more in the long term - our age profile is rather top heavy with many set to retire in 5 to 10 years.

Such cuts go in cycles - new manager makes deep cuts to impress the bean counters then the organisation slowly expands over 15 or so years. Rinse and repeat.

50 50
, to be fair those were about your odds of passing the course and gaining a rating. Bit premature talking about new job and new house.
The new job is the course. The new house is where we would be living while undertaking the course. Congratulations you have been successsful was fairly clear.
50 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 10:59   #3636 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 50 View Post
There very well may be, but I have wasted enough of my time with these people. If this is the regard they have for people and their future then I think I will be better off elsewhere. Re applying would only invite a further waste of my valuable time. Good luck to those who prevailed. I have attached their heartfelt email for you perusal.

Re: Application Air Traffic Controller Traineeship

Firstly, thank you for your application and sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

Airservices has undergone an operational transformation program which has delayed recruitment activities for all areas of the business.

As such, we wish to inform you as part of the transformation program, we have reduced the number of traineeships which has resulted in your application results being recalibrated against our key selection criteria.

Unfortunately on this occasion, you have been unsuccessful in your application.

We wish to acknowledge the calibre of applications received were assessed under our strict technical and competency criteria which meant that only a very small portion i.e. 3% of the candidate profile group were successful in their application.

We thank you for your time, effort and dedication in completing the online application, telephone interview, OPQ testing and attending the Assessment Centre.

We wish you every success with your future career endeavours and strongly encourage you to re-apply in the near future. We anticipate the next intake for the Traineeship Program will take place on or about late 2017.

Yours sincerely,

People Services

Airservices Australia Pty Ltd
That's a shame! I can only try to understand how you must feel right now. I received an email today similar to yours above stating I can re-apply during the next intake. I'm very happy with their decision to provide me the opportunity to do that. More waiting but I've come this far, I'm still in with a chance! Best of luck with whatever decision you choose to go with mate. 👍🏻
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:28   #3637 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
Thank you for the responses, and my commiserations to those who have found themselves in a similar situation. I have today received a response from Air Services advising that they have undergone a significant change in program resulting in a reduction in the number of spots for the ATC traineeship program hence the reassessment against their key selection criteria - which they refer to as a 're-calibration process'. They are otherwise not in a position to provide any individual feedback in regards to which aspect of my assessments to date resulted in my 're-calibrated' results making my application now unsuccessful. They have 'understood' my disappointment, thanked me for my understanding and patience ,and strongly encouraged me to apply in the near future, with the next intake anticipated in late 2017.

I agree with previous posters that I have no issue with Air Services setting or raising the bar, but it is how they handled the issue in these circumstances where they had previously advised applicants that they had advanced in the recruitment process, to do an about face some 10 months later, due to their own internal operational issues (and arguably poor management).

I agree with LFVA's views that is is in bad taste, and reflects poorly on a prospective employer to treat people as discardable and replaceable in the circumstances that they have.

Overall though, I am happy to have received this insight into the organisation at this stage, rather than progressing to a traineeship or further and then discovering their standards and operating procedures.

Thank you again to all that have contributed to this thread, and also provided recent insight and commiserations in regards to be treated in a similar manner.

From a personal perspective I don't anticipate reapplying or otherwise pursuing any form of employment with Air Services in the foreseeable future.
ShadowSFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2017, 16:32   #3638 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 16
50_50 You can take heart from the words "strongly encourage". That can be code for we think you have potential to make it next time around if you apply again.

But be careful of your choice of words. Your potential fit with the organisation's culture is also a consideration in the selection process. Bagging an organisation and displaying bitterness before they even hire you is a good way to shut the gate on yourself.
parishiltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2017, 04:28   #3639 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
Hi everyone,

Sorry to steer away from the topic but are there any air traffic controllers that are currently working in Tower and can provide some information on the work roster and postings after the course? I understand there is information earlier in this thread but I suspect it may be out of date.

In particular, once you finish the course how likely would you be to get a tower basing in your own state? Also, with respect to roster, is it typically something like two mornings, two afternoons, two night followed by 2-3 days off? This seems to be a trend i'm seing for enroute.

Any feedback would be appreciated, I don't have any contacts in the industry.

Thank!
scott454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2017, 05:40   #3640 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aimlessly wandering
Posts: 172
Interesting, there was another post that has been deleted. It mentioned how the reduced number of trainees will result in a better 1 on 1 training ratio and hence, possibly, a better pass rate. Also indicated that it is a career for life and how 2 years for a recruitment process was a "drop in the bucket".
Perhaps, but it has already been just about 2 years, wait another 6 months for them to re-advertise, minimum 6 -12 months recruitment process and then an indeterminate wait we are talking a 4 year process to even start a course, then another 18-21 months before you "possibly" gain a license.
I'm 35 now, they won't even want me by the time that process is over. In the time I have spent waiting on their merit list I could have achieved a diploma in any other discipline. I'm ok with not meeting the standard but time is valuable to me. Money I can make, but I can't get back the wasted time.
It would seem I am not the only one that has been given the good news, and I genuinely feel for all of you. But I agree with at least one other poster, I will not be applying for any position with Airservices in the future.
50 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36.


1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1