PPRuNe Forums


ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 11:27   #3601 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3
I thought that might be the case. Thank you to you both for your replies
Cirrus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 08:02   #3602 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oz
Age: 61
Posts: 196
Airservices Australia boss: 457 visa change won’t affect air safety | The Australian
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 10:05   #3603 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South EU
Posts: 49
From the article:

Airservices Australia boss Jason Harfield has insisted the Turnbull government’s scrapping of the 457 visa would have no impact on the safety of the air traffic control system.

During this week’s Senate estimates hearings, Mr Harfield said the changes would impact “just under 40, I think it’s 38” of about 1100 air traffic controllers and the figures included trainees who were not yet fully qualified.

“Some of them were originally on 457 visas but have converted across to a different type of visa,” Mr Harfield said.

“We are just working through them individually, but I can guarantee that there will be no impact to the safety or operations of the air traffic control system,” he said.

The comments came after Senator Nick Xenophon said concerns had been put to him that the changes created “serious implications for air traffic control in this country and that a number of experienced recruits had been told they would not be able to stay as air traffic controllers”.

Under the government’s visa shake-up, announced last month, dumped 457 visas will be replaced by a new type of temporary skill shortage visa.

Air traffic controllers are on the list of skilled occupations that were removed because of the changes.

Pressed by Senator Xenophon, Mr Harfield said there was “capacity in the rosters and we’ve done that assessment that we are able to continue to maintain service provision during that time as we work through all of this”.

The comments are likely to fuel debate about how the aviation sector will be affected by the 457 visa changes, which take effect from March next year.

Regional Express has claimed the changes to the visa program will lead to a reduction in air services as it cuts pilots and aircraft maintenance engineers from the list.

But Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop said she had told Rex deputy chairman John Sharp there could be a review in the event of genuine shortages.




Best wishes for those 38/40 colleagues that took the leap, hope all ends up well for them and their families.

Last edited by Lssar; 31st May 2017 at 16:32.
Lssar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2017, 23:15   #3604 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Hi all,
Has anyone heard any update or been invited to attend the next round
of Assessment Centres for 2017? And if so what month?
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2017, 01:01   #3605 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 2
Hi all,
Is anyone on the Sep tower course?
shep_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2017, 03:25   #3606 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a house...on a street...
Posts: 3
Hi Shep - have PM'd you.
remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2017, 14:48   #3607 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2
Sent a message to Airservices. They just told me they were reviewing operational needs of course. Might end up just going through Air Force as an ATC and transfer eventually to a civilian ATC.
Defender45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2017, 05:06   #3608 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Aimlessly wandering
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender45 View Post
Sent a message to Airservices. They just told me they were reviewing operational needs of course. Might end up just going through Air Force as an ATC and transfer eventually to a civilian ATC.
So have you applied, done testing and interviews or are you just looking at it now?
50 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2017, 05:33   #3609 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 6
Hmmmm oh well, I guess we will keep waiting until the day comes. As you say Air Force or ATC in other countries may have to be the go to in a few months if no information surfaces.
Forrestdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2017, 04:59   #3610 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 50 View Post
So have you applied, done testing and interviews or are you just looking at it now?
Only just applied a few days ago. No testing or interviews done yet
Defender45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2017, 11:44   #3611 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oz
Age: 42
Posts: 56
Just don't tell the RAAF that you're applying for ATC as a way to get into civilian ATC....bad form.
Showa Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2017, 22:10   #3612 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep_001 View Post
Hi all,
Is anyone on the Sep tower course?
Hi shep_001,

Was that Tower course originally booked in for August 2017? And also what month/year did you submit your online application? Cheers.
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2017, 04:45   #3613 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22
Defender45 and Forrestdude: It's not a matter of simply transferring. Anyone wishing to be an Airservices ATC still has to do (and pass) the testing. Not all Defence or OS-qualified ATC applicants are successful at this point. Then you still have to complete and pass a training course - with some RPL for qualified ATCs trained elsewhere.
parishiltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2017, 22:52   #3614 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 6
Oh yeah for sure Parishiltons, It's just an alternate path that may assist in leading to the end goal eventually after many years should we pass the Airservices testing.
Forrestdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2017, 14:13   #3615 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Osstraya
Posts: 23
To all ATC trainees commencing training - if you're looking for accommodation I have a house set up specifically for ATC trainees. Live and learn together during your course, and get a leg up from trainees ahead of you in their course. Super easy - close to the airport and all amenities Melbourne has to offer. Send me a PM if you want to know more.... PJ.
puddlejumpers2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2017, 15:47   #3616 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Oz
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye85 View Post
Hi shep_001,

Was that Tower course originally booked in for August 2017? And also what month/year did you submit your online application? Cheers.


Hi, yeah I think it was originally meant to start in August now September - Initial application was Sep 2015.
shep_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2017, 01:10   #3617 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep_001 View Post
Hi, yeah I think it was originally meant to start in August now September - Initial application was Sep 2015.
Okay thanks. I submitted my application late March 2016, so now waiting to hear about Assessment Centre dates. Best of luck with your course!👍🏻
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2017, 08:54   #3618 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
This is my first time posting, but I found reading this forum thread very helpful and as such wanted to include my timeline and the rather bizarre culmination to my Application for Trainee ATC here in the event it may help others who are considering this path or going down it.

Late March 2016 – Applied for Trainee ATC program
Mid April 2016 – Invited to complete Online Assessments within next 2 weeks
Late April 2016 – Online Assessments completed and advised would be invited to complete Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ) and that this was expected to occur in approximately 2 weeks.
Mid – Late May 2016 – Invited to complete OPQ assessment; Completed OPQ Assessment; Invited to book telephone interview
Early June 2016 - booked and completed Telephone interview
Second half June 2016 – advised had been successful in progressing to Assessment Centre (AC) and would be placed on waiting list to attend next AC
Early September 2016 – was requested to book AC day in October 2016. I advised AirServices that I would be overseas during the period the ACs I had been invited to were being held and as such volunteered to travel at my expense to another region to attend AC if they were to be held when I was not overseas. Informed all ACs were to occur while I was overseas and advised I would be moved to “Assessment Centre Ready” and informed in the new year of the next AC day.
Mid October 2016 – Advised again I had progressed to AC and would be contacted in the New Year to confirm next available date for AC. Advised that if the dates I was offered did not align with personal circumstances there would be able to remain on waiting list until suitable AC date became available.
Late January 2017 – Was contacted and thanked for my patience, and advised of numbers current status of planned training and courses being filled, and advised that the next ACs were going to be planned for July or August 2017.
May 2017 – requested to provide (and provided) evidence of Citizenship or Permanent Residency. Receipt confirmed and advised would be contacted when they have further information.
12 July 2017 – After all of the above, a rather bizarre turn of events as I received email advising I had been unsuccessful in progressing to the next stage (i.e AC).

I have written to Air Services requesting information about why I was sent this most recent email given I had previously been invited to attend an AC, and furthermore if my application was not of the calibre required to progress to the next stage, why I had not been told this after the last step being my phone interview over a year ago. I will provide an update should I receive any meaningful response.

I am posting this information in the event it may be helpful for anyone who has been waiting or is considering applying for a similar role. From the recent posts in this thread it seems possible that there are issues and/or changes going on internally with Air Services. In addition, I had previously found people's timelines helpful while I was waiting - although I had not read of anyone being strung along quite like I seem to have been.
ShadowSFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2017, 13:39   #3619 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Qld
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSFriend View Post
This is my first time posting, but I found reading this forum thread very helpful and as such wanted to include my timeline and the rather bizarre culmination to my Application for Trainee ATC here in the event it may help others who are considering this path or going down it.

Late March 2016 – Applied for Trainee ATC program
Mid April 2016 – Invited to complete Online Assessments within next 2 weeks
Late April 2016 – Online Assessments completed and advised would be invited to complete Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ) and that this was expected to occur in approximately 2 weeks.
Mid – Late May 2016 – Invited to complete OPQ assessment; Completed OPQ Assessment; Invited to book telephone interview
Early June 2016 - booked and completed Telephone interview
Second half June 2016 – advised had been successful in progressing to Assessment Centre (AC) and would be placed on waiting list to attend next AC
Early September 2016 – was requested to book AC day in October 2016. I advised AirServices that I would be overseas during the period the ACs I had been invited to were being held and as such volunteered to travel at my expense to another region to attend AC if they were to be held when I was not overseas. Informed all ACs were to occur while I was overseas and advised I would be moved to “Assessment Centre Ready” and informed in the new year of the next AC day.
Mid October 2016 – Advised again I had progressed to AC and would be contacted in the New Year to confirm next available date for AC. Advised that if the dates I was offered did not align with personal circumstances there would be able to remain on waiting list until suitable AC date became available.
Late January 2017 – Was contacted and thanked for my patience, and advised of numbers current status of planned training and courses being filled, and advised that the next ACs were going to be planned for July or August 2017.
May 2017 – requested to provide (and provided) evidence of Citizenship or Permanent Residency. Receipt confirmed and advised would be contacted when they have further information.
12 July 2017 – After all of the above, a rather bizarre turn of events as I received email advising I had been unsuccessful in progressing to the next stage (i.e AC).

I have written to Air Services requesting information about why I was sent this most recent email given I had previously been invited to attend an AC, and furthermore if my application was not of the calibre required to progress to the next stage, why I had not been told this after the last step being my phone interview over a year ago. I will provide an update should I receive any meaningful response.

I am posting this information in the event it may be helpful for anyone who has been waiting or is considering applying for a similar role. From the recent posts in this thread it seems possible that there are issues and/or changes going on internally with Air Services. In addition, I had previously found people's timelines helpful while I was waiting - although I had not read of anyone being strung along quite like I seem to have been.
Hi ShadowSFriend,

I've had the exact same timeline as yourself. All your dates and correspondence with Airservices match my experience and unfortunately, I received the same email today. Very disappointing to say the least! How can one be booked into an Assessment Centre last October, then have it cancelled /postponed and after 9 more months of waiting, be told 'unfortunately you have been unsuccessful in progressing through the next phase of our recruitment process'. This is my second and last attempt having first applied in September 2014. Here's hoping this can be reassessed and we at least be put on hold or offered another chance for a final assessment throughout the next recruitment campaign. Best of luck!
EagleEye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2017, 12:40   #3620 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
ATC Trainee Recruitment

Interesting posts guys and sorry to hear the disappointing news.

I was going to ask if anyone knew if/when airservices were planning to open applications for the next round of ATC training however, it would seem based on the above information, this might be a million-dollar question...
scott454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 20:21.


© 1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1