PDA

View Full Version : Lorient, France

CoffeeBean
21st Aug 2003, 06:05
I'm going to Lorient South Brittany France 1st Week September.
I want to do some flying. A four seater single engine will do nicely.
Any suggestions or info?
CoffeeBean

Kirstey
21st Aug 2003, 21:06
I've seen light aircraft there in the evenings. However it is primarily an airforce base, with Hercs etc bumbling in and out.

Maybe Quiberon is a better option?

Brooklands
21st Aug 2003, 21:10
Not sure if there are any aircraft based at Quiberon, but you could try Vannes, which is quite close to Quiberon. I think that there is a flying club there, but I'm not certain as I've never been, I just know some people who have.

CSX001
26th Aug 2003, 16:07
Try Quimper (LFRQ). Just up the coast from Lorient (about 1 hour's drive), and with an active flying club.

Charlie.

FougaMagister
26th Aug 2003, 19:30
Lorient/Lann-Bihoué is actually a "Base Aéronavale" (Naval Air Station), with based Dassault Atlantique II maritime patrol/ASW aircraft and some fast MIL jets visits. I doubt they would cater for GA or that there is any based flying club there.

Cheers

CSX001
26th Aug 2003, 21:09
Think again Fouga.

There is a small and friendly club at Lann Bihoué. I've even flown with them a couple of years ago with a then-boyfriend.

It is true though, that it is hardly the throbbing GA hub of Brittany, and you would be well advised to head elsewhere. Pontivy might be another option with a very friendly club.

Charlie.

FougaMagister
27th Aug 2003, 00:33
CSX001 - Just checked the France VFR guide, and I stand corrected.

Cheers