PDA

View Full Version : Flying in USA

TurboJ
21st Aug 2003, 01:21
Does anyone know about flying in the USA

I have a JAA Class One Medical & JAA PPL.

I have authenticated my medical and PPL with the FAA who has made the necessary enquiries with the CAA

The US Flight School now says I still need an FAA Medical in the US in order to complete a JAA CPL, Multi and hour building.

Can anyone shed any light on what I do actually need apart from an M1 VISA as the school itself does not give me the confidence it knows the requirements.

moku
21st Aug 2003, 01:34
If you intend getting a FAA PPL based on a JAR or CAA one then yes you will need a FAA Medical to do this. You can get one in the UK before you leave or when you get to the US. The list of FAA AME's is available on the FAA web site.
My guess that you will be time building in N registered Aircraft using the FAA PPL.

TurboJ
21st Aug 2003, 04:23
Can you explain the procedure because I am totally lost with all this.

I was told to get my JAA Licence and Medical authenticated, which I have done. I was then told that the FSDO would issue an Airman Certificate when I go to the US. This would let me fly US aircraft on my JAA PPL and medical.

I am now being told I need a separate FAA medical ???

What is going on with this ? If you don't have to do a separate FAA PPL why should you have to go and get yet another medical just for the FAA ?

The guy at the US Flight School has gone off to check his facts, because I don't even think he knows what is going on ???

Can anyone assist with the facts ? Cheers...........TJ

moku
21st Aug 2003, 07:51
Check your PM.

You will be issued with a FAA PPL therefore WILL need the FAA medical.

Charlie Zulu
21st Aug 2003, 13:49
TurboJ,

As you have gone through the verification process you will now need to go to the FSDO to obtain the FAA PPL under Part 61.75. No medical is required. But you already know this. Just a quick addition is that most FSDO's require visitors to have made an appointment due to security reasons. You can't simply just turn up on their door asking to be let in anymore. Just give them a call before going.

Everything is detailed in FAR 61.75 including the medical certificate requirements for 61.75 FAA PPL issue, imparticular section b and sub secttion 4 of this part (61.75) states:

"Holds a current medical certificate issued under Part 67 of this chapter or a current medical certificate issued by the country that issued the person's foreign pilot licences; and"...

So as you will have an FAA PPL issued under part 61.75 (ie based on your JAA PPL and NOT a full FAA PPL) then you will only require your JAA Medical to be valid in order to fly as PIC using your restricted FAA PPL.

Only if you were going to go and obtain a full FAA PPL or FAA CPL would you require an FAA Medical to be issued.

If the flight school requires confirmation then point them to the FAR/AIM, Part 61.75, subsection (b) (4). That is where I found it in my copy in front of me right now (studying for the FAA CFI rating, thus the sadness of having the FAR/AIM in work with me!).

I've used an FAA PPL issued under 61.75 with my JAA PPL and JAA Medical quite a few times whilst hour building in California and Florida and I did NOT have a FAA medical back then (I do now as I now have a full FAA CPL/IR).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Hulk
21st Aug 2003, 21:06
restrictions apply if based on a foreign license.you need a VALID foreign license and a VALID FAA third class medical check.
You need to file a XXX form by the CAA.This form will be send to the FAA.
Apply at any FSDO in the USA with your VALID foreign license and your VALID medical check.2-3 months later, you will receive by mail by the FAA your US Privat Validation.
This FAA validation is void if your foreign license (JAA ) is expired.

TurboJ
21st Aug 2003, 22:16
This is incredible. Some you do, some say you don't !!!

Even the so called, 'International Admissions Officer' doesn't even really know.

Why do I get the feeling that if I ever get to the US I will be straight back home on the next plane as there will be some piece of paper I should have got three months earlier, but was never told about ????

dorosenco
21st Aug 2003, 22:41
you know what TurboJ ?

Get your FAA 3rd class for god's sake and make everybody happy ... it's $50 and it takes 30min to get it done.

My oppinion ? No, you don't need a FAA 3rd class to fly in the US. Check my website www.passion2fly.com link "FAA Conversions". The Sec 61.75 is right there ...

:confused:

moku
22nd Aug 2003, 00:40
Turbo J,

Ok so you have been given information that is conflicting....
Best you make up your own mind from here on, that way
what ever happens!
Best you speak to the source and call the local FSDO that you are getting your FAA cert from as they will be the ones who might want a medical.
Here is the link for the Southern FSDO region. FAA FSDO (http://www2.faa.gov/aso/bystate.htm)

Get the phone number you will find them through the links on this page and speak to a FAA inspector! For the cost of a long distance phone call you will give yourself some piece of mind :)Get their name etc and then you can blame them if it goes tits up when you get there.

Best of luck.

FlyingForFun
22nd Aug 2003, 00:46
An alternative to contacting an FSDO would be to read the FARs. CZ has already quoted the relevant parts, but if you do a more thorough search you will find nothing that says that you need an FAA medical. You do, however, need to ensure that your foreign medical is valid.

FFF
----------

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Aug 2003, 02:36
TurboJ,

You have to have a current JAA Medical since you are flying on the privileges of your JAA Licence.

The only thing you need before you can fly in the U.S. with your FAA Conversion is a BFR .

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.