PDA

View Full Version : Airport Codes on FLight Plans

topcat450
20th Aug 2003, 22:07
Hi,

First of all apologise if this is wrong area to ask this...mods feel free to move it wherever...this is my colleagues problem:

I assume when filing a flight plan, you use the ICAO codes for airports?

So, what happens when the airport your going to no-longer has a code... it's been deleted? eg. KISM used to be Kissemee, FL, but speaking to ICAO this has been deleted.

Also when searching NOTAMS, if you can no longer search for KISM...what do you do?

I was a big confused as I thought the ICAO codes were pretty static but his evidence suggests otherwise.

Thanks

TC

chiglet
20th Aug 2003, 22:46
The "standard" rule is to use "ZZZZ" for destination, then in field 18, plain language
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

bookworm
20th Aug 2003, 23:50
So, what happens when the airport your going to no-longer has a code... it's been deleted? eg. KISM used to be Kissemee, FL, but speaking to ICAO this has been deleted.

News to me. KISM seems to have current METARs. Who told you it had been deleted?

PaperTiger
20th Aug 2003, 23:54
Where do you get this 'withdrawal' of KISM from ?
It's still on every site (NOAA,AirNav,FAA etc) that I checked :confused:

FlyingForFun
21st Aug 2003, 00:29
I agree with Chiglet on the use of ZZZZ as the code. But I'm pretty sure there's some specific code you're supposed to use in field 18, rather than just plain language - something like "DEST/<AIRFIELDNAME>". Having said that, I can't see it causing a problem to use plain language.

FFF
--------------

topcat450
21st Aug 2003, 00:35
exactly...it's on every website I looked at, but speak to ICAO. They say it no longer exists.

You can buy a list of all the current codes from them, and KISM and a number of others is missing. I called & asked about them & they said the country involved (the US) had deleted them.

I doubted her but she said nope...speak to the US. KISM is not a current ICAO code...

I doubted that was the case but wasn't really in a position to argue....so any pointers of where to go/who to speak to much appreciated.

PaperTiger
21st Aug 2003, 06:14
Possibility #2:

ICAO screwed up the list, won't admit to it and she was giving you the brush-off.
Demand yer money back :ouch:

5milesbaby
21st Aug 2003, 23:31
some info in Field 18 has formats like FFF says, but it can be used for anything, and some things just need plain english.

If you cannot get the latest info (ie weather) for a particular aerodrome, then either phone it up and request it, get the nearest other available, and failing that use the regional weather. Once in transit you can then request it from ATC, in the UK we have a free Flight Information Service manned by assistants that are more than happy to do this work for you. At least we can get one thing right :)

Check 6
24th Aug 2003, 03:29
For domestic flights in the U.S., you file an FAA, not an ICAO, flight plan. On these flight plans you would use "ISM" for Kissimmee.

My references indicate that KISM is the ICAO identifier still.

There are many airports in the U.S. that do not have an ICAO identifier. These airports have identifiers assigned by the local (state) aviation authority.

;)