PDA

View Full Version : CPL or ATPL Studies

yycpilot
20th Aug 2003, 20:48
Can anyone on this forum please advise on which exams are the easiest to study for and complete.
Are the exams in multiple choice format. I have also narrowed my search down to two schools for the CPL, either Cranfield or AFT.
Any advice on these two schools would be appreciated.

FlyingForFun
20th Aug 2003, 21:51
Yyc,

First of all, yes the exams are multiple choice. Don't let that fool you into thinking they're easy, though.

As for the CPL/ATPL decision, the normal advice is to go for the ATPL exams. These exams will entitle you to train for both a CPL and an IR up to 3 years after your final exam pass. So if you get your CPL, then decide to get an IR, there's no more ground studies required.

On the other hand, if you do the CPL exams, then, 30 months later, decide you quite fancy an IR, you'll have to do the IR exams. There's some overlap between the two sets of exams, but you don't get any exemptions - you have to repeat those which overlap. And even this doesn't entitle you to an ATPL once you've got the necessary hours, you'd still have to do the ATPL exams for that.

What's more, there are far more schools offering ATPL exam courses than CPL courses. And more choice means you're more likely to find one that suits you.

There are only two cases where it's worth doing the CPL. One is if there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that you'll be doing an IR within 3 years of finishing the exams. The other is if you've tried to do the ATPL exams but find they're too tough.

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

[Edited the typo as per my post below]

woodey
21st Aug 2003, 06:10
"These exams will entitle you to train for both a CPL and an IR from 3 years after your final exam pass."

Why the three year gap?
Woodey

No. 2
21st Aug 2003, 06:34
I think FFF is referring to the fact that the ATPLs are valid for three years in which time you need to get the CPL and IR otherwise they lapse and you have to sit them again;)

woodey
21st Aug 2003, 06:40
Ah!, Misunderstood; now understood:p
Woodey

FlyingForFun
21st Aug 2003, 19:17
Sorry - typo on my part. "From" shoud have read "up to". I'll amend my original post to make it clearer!

FFF
------------

markd.greenfield
21st Aug 2003, 19:34
I did the CPL exams on the grounds that I was going to be an FI and had no desire to get an IR. At the time (2 years ago) there was very little decent CPL distance learning material avaialble, so I (and most of my course) ended up using ATPL references in any case, particularly the Oxford notes which are very good. Unfortunately sorting the 'not required for CPL' info from the ATPL texts can be very tough, and you end up studying into the ATPL syllabus almost as a matter of course.

If I was starting over I would definitely study for the ATPL. It is slightly more work, but IMHO maybe only 30% more. I do understand that the Cranfield CATS guys now have decent CPL course notes, as well as some excellent instructors (Stuart Smith in particular) who really know their stuff.