PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft External Lighting

bloggs1968
20th Aug 2003, 05:48
Hi,

i am doing some research into aircraft lighting and would appreciate any help with the following questions.

1. Where can I find info on arcs of visibility and required intensity of aircraft navigation lights in OZ? (CARs AIP??)

2. What lights are dispayed on aircraft during the various phases of flight - i.e. taxi, take off, cruise, descent and landing and when are they selected?

3. Do pilots use port and starboard nav lights for separation with other aircraft OCTA?

4. Is there any difference in the answers to 1,2,3 between lighties and larger RPT/Transport aircraft?

thanks in advance

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

wher2guv
21st Aug 2003, 10:12
In the uk it's in trevor thoms Air Law book

Left (port) side Red or the right (starboard) side green lights can be seen 110 degrees from dead ahead out to their respective sides.

White tail light show through 70 degrees either side of dead astern.

Rules 8-15 lights on an aircraft

Spitoon
21st Aug 2003, 17:50
The international rules are in ICAO Annex 2 Rules of the Air.

Individual countries may have different rules in their own legislation and some legal systems will mean that the ICAO rules have to be implemented in local law.

As wher2guv says, in the UK it's in Rules 8-15 (of the Rules of the Air Regulations 1996). FWIW, the UK rules are very similar to ICAO and really differ only in respect to anti-collision beacons.

wher2guv
22nd Aug 2003, 07:47
Thanks for clarifing what I wrote Spitoon I am just working towards my airlaw exam and I actually remebered somthing. :8

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Aug 2003, 21:54
2. What lights are dispayed on aircraft during the various phases of flight - i.e. taxi, take off, cruise, descent and landing and when are they selected?

- Commonly minimum strobe lights (perhaps one beacon on the fin) when aircraft power is on.

- Strobes normally in any conditions where visibility is reduced and invariably at night. They are generally turned off in or immediately next to cloud, to prevent disorienting flashes being reflected back into the aircraft.

- Landing light used for approach and landing; at night it will normally be left on until the aircraft is parked, in the day it'll normally be turned off immediately after landing.

- Landing lights are often also left on when flying low level to make the aircraft more visible to anything directly in the flight path.

- Navigation lights on from Dusk to Dawn, and sometimes for safety in poor light conditions (such as under a dark and miserable overcast).

3. Do pilots use port and starboard nav lights for separation with other aircraft OCTA?
Yes, the point behind different coloured lights is that it allows you at night to tell another aircraft's direction of travel relative to oneself.

4. Is there any difference in the answers to 1,2,3 between lighties and larger RPT/Transport aircraft?
There are differences in what lights must be fitted depending upon aircraft class, but if they are fittted they are used in the same manner. Your local ANO, or any handy air-law textbook will cover this.

G