PDA

View Full Version : Living and Flying in Florida

p.savage
20th Aug 2003, 02:19
Hi folks.

I am due to go to EFT, Fort Pierce Florida in January. I will be 19 and my girlfriend will be coming with me. I was already got the money sorted out, my parents kindly borrowed £45,000 for me. I am slightly nervous about going to live in a new place.

So, whats Fort Pierce and Florida in general really like, for living costs, flying, weather, driving (how much is insurance and how much would it be to buy a car?)

If any body is going to EFT in January time, or been to EFT recently, or generally any body who has stayed in Fort Pierce, or Port st. Lucie recently, where are the best and cheapest apartments to live. I will be there for 2 years, so I ideally want somewhere nice! I have a buget of 680 USD per month for rental, including extra like, electric (which wont be used that much because I will be flying most days!), trash, sewage, pest and TV.

I believe that most FL apartments will pay for Pest control, sewage and trash. Some even pay for basic cable TV.

What other expenses should I prepare for?

Cheers, hope you can help.

Savage

eire_boy
20th Aug 2003, 04:24
Hi

Lucky you!!! Just back from Florida.. you will love it,
Ft. Pierce is a really nice area on the atlantic coast in between Kennedy Space Centre and Miami, its about 3 hours drive from Orlando.

What I would say to you is Florida is cheap for a holiday but can work out quite expensive to live in. If you're there for two years you would want to sort out proper health care, a visit to a Doctor can be at least $100.00.

Cars are relatively cheap to buy and run, you will have to sit a drving test as a foreign licence is only good for about 3 months (I think), however car insurance for males in our age range is not cheap. Might be best to try and get accomodation near the Flight School and use the limited public transport. Might be worth trying to cut a deal with some of the local motels, they sometimes give you a long term rate.

You will get asked for ID everywhere, in restaurants, bars even to buy a lottery ticket. I hope your girlfriend is aged over 21 otherwise you wont get a sniff of drink.. ! The nightlife is tame compared to what you would be used to in Ireland\UK.

http://www.visitstluciefla.com has a lot of visitor info on the area

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/dlnew.html will give you info on getting your drivers licence

Finally http://www.palmbeachpost.com/ is the local newspaper for the area which will give you links to accomodation etc.

I hope this is of some use to you, PM me if you have any questions and good luck :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Aug 2003, 06:42
eire_boy,

The Drivers Licence is good for the length of the Visa, so in his case 2 years. If you were to come to the U. S. on a 3 month Visa then the Licence would only be issued for a 3 month peroid.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

18greens
20th Aug 2003, 20:38
You will have a great time. I have only done Orlando but I hear Fort Pierce is great.

I know you have probably thought about this but the only word of caution I would give is, if you can, do not give EFT all of that money up front. Try as much as possible to pay as you go or put it in escrow (or whatever Americans call it) Pay for the PPL first then the hour building in chunks etc etc. That way you can leave if you don't like it and go elsewhere. Also if they go bust you don't have to borrow another chunk.

Apart from that enjoy it, it will be great.

p.savage
20th Aug 2003, 22:07
Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm glad to hear that Fort Pierce is a nice place , and that I can drive on my current driving license!

Thanks for the advice. Mentally noted.;)

Cheers

Savage