PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating vs Qualification

baldwim
18th Aug 2003, 20:43
Can anyone tell me the difference between a night 'rating' and night 'qualification'.

You are allowed to count 3 hours of night training towards the IMC if you have a 'rating' but not the 'qualification'.

I suspect one is the old UK CAA version the other the JAA version.

Just that I am planning on doing both this winter and was hoping for a little overalap.

FlyingForFun
18th Aug 2003, 22:06
I suspect one is the old UK CAA version the other the JAA versionYou suspect correctly. The rating is CAA, the qualification is JAR.

FFF
--------------

baldwim
18th Aug 2003, 22:20
Thanks for the confirmation.

The 'qualification' must not contain any instrument flying and the old 'rating' must have had a bit, or assumed you had some to start with if it was IMC useful.

Fancy Navigator
19th Aug 2003, 01:56
Hi Folks
Thanks for the information, I was wondering too what the difference between the two was....
However, could you please enlighten me??;)
What are the privileges that each of them offer you....? Is it basically being able to fly at night with passengers...or is there a significant difference between the two???
(I suppose the CAA Night Rating does not allow you to fly outside UK airspace while the JAR Night Qualification does...Could you confirm please??)
Do FTO's offer both options??
Thank you very much for your answers
:cool:

StrateandLevel
19th Aug 2003, 02:33
A "Rating" has a validity period and has to be revalidated i.e. an annual number of take offs and landings.

A "Qualification" is valid as long as the licence to which it is attached.

All UK night ratings are now maintained in accordance with JAR-FCL effectively making them Night Qualifications.

There is a currency requirement for the carriage of passengers; one of the 3 take-offs and landings must be at night, unless you hold a valid IR.

The privileges of both the rating and qualification are the same, valid worldwide.