PDA

View Full Version : USSR National Anthem at 30W

A/P Disc
18th Aug 2003, 00:26
Can anyone please explain who and more importantly
why someone played the old USSR national anthem on
123.45 while I was flying at 30W today at about 0600Z??

Was a clean and very crisp recording and I cannot imagine
anyone having it as an MP3 with him/her during the flight.

Very,very weird.

:confused:

Rgds

B767300ER
18th Aug 2003, 01:48
Perhaps they had a clear tape-recording of same.

I'll bet it kept everyone awake.

I once played the US national anthem over the PA in a 1011 after a long red-eye ferry flight (where all the cabin crew could sleep, but we had to stay awake). It was recorded on my little mini-cassette recorder, and came over fine (except they were peeved).

I only wish I had 'Rule Brittania' recorded, as that would be a lovely tune to wake up to!

Kalium Chloride
18th Aug 2003, 03:33
Did you check the airspeed indicator?

I tend to find it occurs when I'm rushin' :ugh:

av8boy
18th Aug 2003, 12:12
Kalium,

I give you high Marx for realizing it had to do with rushin'. Personally, I thought my Antonov was Stalin...

Dave:D

A/P Disc
18th Aug 2003, 15:21
av8boy

Good one!

Must have been a very practical joker somewhere above the
pond. I think I'm going to tape Zarathustra from Strauss
(you know: 2001 Space Odessey...) to play when the sun
comes up while I'm plowing through the NAT tracks again.
Seems like a nice wake up call for everyone there.

But the old "Internationale" is very weird to play.

Rgds

Maxflyer
18th Aug 2003, 21:37
Probably a Chelsea fan singing the latest anthem from the terraces at Stamford Bridge!

Kalium Chloride
18th Aug 2003, 22:14
This is quite spooky. There's another thread running talking about a weird incident at 30W...with suggestions that it could be (I kid you not) a Russian satellite.

Details here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99459)

A/P Disc
18th Aug 2003, 22:41
Hmm. This cannot be a coincidence! Maybe the Russians
have a tape recording of their old anthem onboard their space
stuff and play it automatically when they are about to re-enter the
atmosphere???? :p

Boss Raptor
19th Aug 2003, 00:07
Possibly a message from Mr. Putin and the 'old guard' to the world...or maybe just Messrs.;

Khodorkovsky
Gusinsky
Berezovsky

'You can run but u cant hide'

The 'old guard' is still very much there and it would seem in control...nothing would surprise me...

:ok:

robmac
19th Aug 2003, 21:57
Unusual to find aviators so far behind with the NOTAMS

The old anthem is now the new anthem. The interim (Yeltsin anthem has been scrapped because no one could agree on words for it. The New/Old anthem also does not have any words yet (the old ones deemed inappropriate), but it is mainly agreed to be better than the one introduced by the thieving b#@ta@ds who robbed Mother Russia blind during "privatisation".

A/P Disc
19th Aug 2003, 23:03
robmac

Ok,ok. They were not singing so it was the NEW anthem.
So we are now looking for someone with a sick sense of humor
who plays the current Russian anthem (without singing and who probably hates Jeltsin and the communists,Stalinists and
Trotskists) on 123.45 at 30W.

Just a general question: do any Russian airlines fly to the
US/Canada because I've never heared them on HF?
Could be because we are flying at the most illogical times but
there you go.

Rgds

ATC Watcher
20th Aug 2003, 02:07
Aeroflot for one , fly from Moscow to JFK, Washington and LAX.

I just read that they had a debate to remove the old Soviet logo from their aircraft , but as they could not agree on a new one decided to keep the old one.
Lenin is still very present in Russia today , so why not the hammer and ciscel... for a lot of people still , life was better under their reign than now.

Boss Raptor
20th Aug 2003, 02:51
A wonderful selection of the Russian National Anthem in various forms, orchestral, choral and military band - MP3's

http://www.skazka.no/anthems/

:ok:

JW411
20th Aug 2003, 03:37
Another 30W piece of fun is to push the transmit button and then do an engine fire bell test!

I've never done it myself but I have seen it done and it certainly wakes up a lot of people.

brockenspectre
20th Aug 2003, 05:04
Boss Raptor I first heard that anthem in "Hunt for Red October" and always wondered if it had been something written for the screenplay or something real - it seemed to have too much depth and feeling to be a "movie" thing but I couldn't be sure! Thanks for the links.

Is this really now abandoned in favour of "The Red Flag"???

"kak zhal" (what a pity)

:)

robmac
20th Aug 2003, 09:18
A/P Disc

After listening to the download, I stand accused of the same NOTAM crime.

The Russians held a public competition in which all songwriters and poets participated and it appears to have been won... (don't know by whom though...anyone ??)

The new words are hymnal, and a little imperial..... begins

Rossiya sveshenaya, lubimaya nasha strana

Gods blessed Russia, our much loved country........etc etc

Looks like the Orthodox patriach was on the selection committee.

brockenspectre

My wife, a Russian patriot herself (who claims she is only living abroad under duress, due to my work, despite really enjoying the lack of snow and bureaucracy), says your comment on the depth and feeling to be a great observation of the Russian spirit.

In fact the Communists were real experts in manipulation of the spirit of the ordinary person, and that is why this anthem was so well written and appeals so widely.

As for Aeroflot, they fly very well, even if some of the internal equipment is a bit knackered (tech terminology) and the CC have stopped throwing meals at you.

steamchicken
22nd Aug 2003, 00:32
The Red Flag wasn't the Soviet national anthem nor anyone else's - the tune is a German carol (O Tannenbaum, or Oh Christmas Tree in English) and the words (though cowards flinch and traitors sneer..) were written by an Irishman, I think.

MarkD
22nd Aug 2003, 00:52
Not to mention the one that starts "The People's Flag is deepest pink, it's not as Red as you might think" :D

robmac
22nd Aug 2003, 13:36
Except of course for the benefit of the last two that the soviet/russian national anthem is not nor was not "The Red Flag", which is an entirely different song of International Marxism, which as you have spotted is the tune of tannenbaum, however not what was being discussed here !!

compressor stall
22nd Aug 2003, 13:37
As an antipodean,...what's the significance of 30W (I presume the longitude)? A couple of people mentioned it as if it were a frontier of some sort? Or just coincidence?
CS

BALIX
22nd Aug 2003, 14:50
CS

30W is half way between Europe and America. In ATC terms it is the boundary between Shanwick and Gander ATC.

av8boy
22nd Aug 2003, 15:15
30W also sort of has the flavor of, "there I was in the middle of nowhere..." It's not so much that you were exactly at 30W when something happened. Although you ARE expected to have been SOMEWHERE in that neighborhood when whatever happened happened...

I say, 30W, 31W, whatever it takes. ;)

Dave

compressor stall
23rd Aug 2003, 15:59
Ah ha...makes sense now! ;)

hedgehopper
24th Aug 2003, 06:40
During MIR's life an operational control frequency of 130.1675Mhz
was in use, so there is nothing to say that a frequency around 123.45 is not in use today.

Hedgehopper.

A/P Disc
24th Aug 2003, 08:23
hedgehopper

Just out of curiosity,what was this freq. used for?

Robmac:

Many thanks for the info!:ok:

Rgds

hedgehopper
25th Aug 2003, 18:44
Robmac,

It was a simplex voice channel for operational communications.
The frequency is still in use along with 121.75 aboard ISS for the
TORU Rendezvous Control System (Zarya/Progress) & EVA Comms.

source: http://sd125.tripod.com/shuttle.html
http://www.grove-ent.com/nasa.html

regards

Hedgehopper

Pavel Borodin
26th Aug 2003, 19:31
Maybe a mobile. I have it on mine, more of a jingle than a full orchestra.

sir
28th Aug 2003, 22:32
Listen carefully to 'Go West' by The Village People (if you dare) or the Pet Shop Boys remix of it.

It's used in the background.