PDA

View Full Version : Pass rates

Tigereye
17th Aug 2003, 20:49
Does anyone know which school has the best pass rate,
whether its ground studies or flight instruction?
Tahttp://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

N14HK
17th Aug 2003, 22:09
Don't too hung up over pass rates.

All courses are approved by the CAA (i.e. they are all basically the same); if a school's pass rate falls below an acceptable level in a certain area, they are invited to tea without biscuits with their local CAAFU.

As with anything, it's largely down to your ability and application.

Look at Prince Harry. All the advantages in the world, attended one of best school in the world, yet only achieved two mediocre A-levels. That says to me he's as thick as pig sh1t. Sometimes all the fancy teaching in the world can't save the student from themselves.

mad_jock
17th Aug 2003, 23:30
And also there are schools which openly promote there high pass rates. But have a pretty well know reputation of the student having to pay through the nose for there services. Unfortunately the students don't realise this until after they have been bitten and would find it hard to transfer.

MJ

missnellpell
18th Aug 2003, 04:25
Mad_jock,

You sound like you have a few words of wisdom....any chance you could pm me with any details?

Cheers

mnp

Tigereye
18th Aug 2003, 05:33
N14HK
Quote "All courses are approved by the CAA (i.e. they are all basically the same)"
I feel you're short changing some good instructors here. I'm sure good teaching methods may be the difference between pass and fail.

mad_jock
Quote " schools which openly promote there high pass rates"
If the school is telling the truth about there high pass rate,surely
most students wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a better chance of a first time pass.
ta

N14HK
18th Aug 2003, 09:04
Tigereye, I'm puzzled how you can conclude I was short changing good instructors. I was trying to point out that the CAA sets the standard to be met for all the tests, and the manner in which the student is taught to meet it.

The more exposure I have had to aviation training, the stronger my belief that whether you pass or fail a test or exam is largely down to you and you alone has become.

Lots of us tended to want to buy into a brand (usually OATS/BAE Systems or sometimes Cabair) when we starting out in the belief we'd get something better, but it's my gut feeling that far fewer would do so by the time they've passed their IR.

kpx1124
18th Aug 2003, 15:05
I totally agree with N14HK... when I first started training I was very tempted with the 'promises' made by OATs, Cabair etc. Now I'm going through the system I'm very pleased to have taken the modular route, selecting the companies I use as I go, and paying a much more reasonable price, without sacrificing quality...

FlyingForFun
18th Aug 2003, 16:34
Hypothetical situation:

Take an imaginary course, which requires a minimum of, ooh, say 30 hours. (I can't think of a course with this particular minimum, so it really is all hypothetical.)

School A gets 95% of its students into the skills test with 32 hours or less. 70% of its students pass first time. All students leave knowing very little above what the syllabus requires them to know.

School B gets 95% of its students into the skills test with 40 hours or less. 90% of its students pass first time, and all if its students have a thorough understanding of the subject.

School C gets 95% of its students into the skills test with 50 hours or less, and none with less than 45 hours. 99% of its students pass first time, a figure which they publish in all their sales media, but interestingly they don't publish the number of hours their students take.

Which would you rather train with?

FFF
--------------

Megaton
18th Aug 2003, 16:39
FFF,

Have you got a contact address for School B? ;)

FlyingForFun
18th Aug 2003, 18:08
Exactly, Ham - School B wins over School C any day, despite School C's 99% pass rate.

As for the address.... if I knew that, I'd keep it secret until after I'd finished with it, otherwise everyone would be going there and pushing their prices up and their availability down ;)

FFF
-------------