PDA

View Full Version : Coventry Airport Info Please...

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
17th Aug 2003, 17:57
Hi all,

I’m thinking of basing my Seneca at Coventry (EGBE) and would be very grateful for any information or opinions from others that use or work there, for example parking and maintenance…

Many thanks in advance…

TNB

Flyin'Dutch'
17th Aug 2003, 18:36
Hi

My mate has his Lance (for some time and is happy with them) in maintenancy by Aerotek. The owner is Rob Doherty and he looks after a lot of Pipers of a variety of types.

FD

MikeSamuel
17th Aug 2003, 22:23
Well, it seems to be getting more expensive...An increase cost in fees has meant that PPLs at our club who do additional landings here have to pay extra on top of the standard rate - it's not a great deal but there seems to be an upward trend in costs...

...My airside pass expires...today, I've just noticed so I'm supposed to fork out £50 for a new one - previous cost £12.

Our aircraft are parked outside on the Western area, and I've been told parking charges have increased 97% recently.

It is well located though, and it's rare to have to queue for departure, which is nice.

If you do decide to base yourself here give me a shout and I'll make you a cup of tea in our nice clubhouse!

wet wet wet
18th Aug 2003, 05:47
Suggest you get in touch with the Coventry Aeroplane Club and see they can fit you in. Their parking rates compare favourably with main (airport run) GA park. Furthermore, you can then use their clubhouse and bar and car parking is free to members!

Flyer Flier
19th Aug 2003, 04:42
Please see here for details about Aerotech, Rob is a fine engineer and would be happy to chat to you.
Regards FF
http://www.aerotech.eurobell.co.uk

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
21st Aug 2003, 21:49
Many thanks guys/girls, going to visit the Airport tomorrow, will call in for that cup of Mike...!

Thanks again...

TNB

Mike Cross
22nd Aug 2003, 00:10
Mike Samuel forget to mention how much he had to fork out for the landing fee when Rustle gave him a lift to Duxford in the 310.

I seem to recall it was around the 45 pound mark?

Mike

AerBabe
22nd Aug 2003, 00:37
Unless things have changed recently, aircraft based at Coventry get a discount on landing fees. However, there have been many changes there over the last year, so best to get up to date information tomorrow I think!

If you're going for a cup of tea with Mikey in our clubhouse, make sure he's bought some milk - we never have enough in!

bookworm
22nd Aug 2003, 01:34
SkyPartners (http://www.skypartners.co.uk/) runs the GA terminal at Coventry. I visited today, by road unfortunately, so I can't tell you about landing fees. But I can endorse the welcoming and helpful atmosphere for visitors created by Marc Bond and his team. I don't know if SkyPartners deals with based aircraft.

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
25th Aug 2003, 15:49
Hi all,

Called in to the Airport and was somewhat surprised to be told that parking would be £270.00 per month "outside"...!

So I guess I need to start looking elsewhere...

Suggestions anyone...?

Should mention all my trips are IFR so need an instrument approach...

Thanks

TNB

wet wet wet
25th Aug 2003, 18:56
TNB

As I said earlier, contact the Coventry Aero Club (next to the 23 threshold) and you might well be pleasantly surprised. They lease their own land, current parking rates are here http://www.covaero.com/pages/parking.html

Skypartners
29th Aug 2003, 15:39
Thanks to Bookworm for noticing our efforts and to all visitors who've made encouraging noises about myself and Emma and our efforts for GA at Coventry. We've just finished extending the terminal so do come soon to sit in our comfy new lounge. Very soon there'll be an online briefing system too!

The comments about price 'hikes' are justified but people forget some important things: -

1) CVT prices were artifically low at a time when all others were rising. A phased increase would have played out better but, nevertheless, the result would have been the same.

2) Resident aircraft get good landing fee deals to compensate for the parking costs, which are calculated at this level because of a limit to the parking space available.

3) It's an dual ILS 24 hours airport with no mandatory handling which is rare these days! Compare it with Leeds, Newcastle and Bournemouth which offer similar facilities but for somewhat more money and you start to see the amazing value of Coventry. Of course, when you compare it with a grass strip or non-ICAO dawn-til-dusk, non-landing-aid-field I guess CVT costs more - but for obvious reasons.

We're committed to giving visiting aircraft a good service and warm welcome. Thanks for your support.

:ok:

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
29th Aug 2003, 17:00
Skypartners,

It is very easy to compare your prices with the likes of Leeds, Newcastle and Bournemouth as they (along with EGGD) are some of the most expensive and anti GA airports in the country...

On the other hand compare your prices to the likes of:

EGJJ, ILS, Radar, LDG Fees £12.00 free parking for a up to week

EGTE, ILS, Radar, LDG Fees similar to yours Parking £65.00 month

and I could go on...

I agree you have excellent facilities but personally I find £270.00 a month for parking unbelievably high.

MikeeB
29th Aug 2003, 19:39
I called in over the bank holiday to see about landing at Coventry in the future.

Couldn't have been made to feel more welcome !!

Ex Oggie
30th Aug 2003, 09:27
Leeds, Newcastle and Bournemouth also built new passenger terminals before they demolished the old ones. Despite its own self opinion, Coventry is really only an upmarket GA airfield and not in the same class (unfortunately) The prices the airport charge really are a little steep, but the new facilities at Skypartners do look pretty swish and well planned.