PDA

View Full Version : New start up - ONIVA

Turbo Rick
17th Aug 2003, 06:39
Been offered an interview in a couple of weeks with this new start up who are using ATR 72's. Information very sketcy, company only has a mobile phone contact for a start! Anyone know anything about this company? Would be good to have some knowledge to decide whether to go to the interview or not in the first place.

Someone in PPRuNe land must know something?

Danny_R
17th Aug 2003, 07:34
Have heard of them, Its never a good idea to turn down work, go along and see what you think, might not be too bad, plus if its a pilots position, well at least it gets you in the air.

St Hilary
17th Aug 2003, 17:27
Apparently it's been set up by the Ex MD of Buzz

CAP509castaway
19th Aug 2003, 21:17
Come on ppruners, somone must know something:ok: :ok: :ok:

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 00:04
Hi,

One of the senior executives at former low cost carrier buzz is in talks to launch a new regional carrier in th UK. Tony Comacho is working with unnamed investors to launch a airline in either the southeast or northwest of England, flying up to ten ATR 42 and ATR 72 turboprops.

BAe 146-100 :)

richardhall99
20th Aug 2003, 01:10
Im not wanting to put a downer on this business idea but can a domestic ATR operator or anyother really survive in todays current low cost climate?
Are there any routes that would be viable in the areas suggested above on a domestic note that could make a profit?

VIKING9
20th Aug 2003, 01:43
Thought the ex MD of Buzz was going to NOW :confused:

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 05:04
Hi,

richardhall99, Aer Arann do well and they operate the ATR 42/72.

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/8/7/6/277678.jpg

BAe 146-100

Readback Correct
20th Aug 2003, 15:46
If Oniva is a 'working title', will the new airline be called Air UK?

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/8/1/0/322018.jpg

(I know it's an F-27!)

A Very Civil Pilot
20th Aug 2003, 15:51
Before the demise of KLMuk/Buzz, there were constant rumours that the ATRs would get a yellow and purple paint job, and be put on the short Buzz sectors (STN-AMS, STN-CDG).

Operationally they are a very cost effective a/c. However it never came into being, due to the fixed costs: the leases were so expensive it was actually cheaper to keep them grounded rather than operate them.

Hopefully Oniva will get a far better financing deal than KLMuk had.

TwinAisle
20th Aug 2003, 16:32
Gross speculation coming up.....

One of Buzz's major selling points was the number of French destinations that it served - indeed, I hear reports that certain parts of France are now knee-deep in British ex-pats because of them. Many of these are now a tad stranded.....

Given the name of this outfit - Oniva - which for those of us with a working knowlegde of French sounds like "On y va" - Let's go - I would bet this operator will base out of the South East and serve a load of French towns formally served by Buzz....

Pure speculation, of course....

TA

Frankfurt_Cowboy
20th Aug 2003, 17:29
Thank you Columbo!!!!

xyz_pilot
20th Aug 2003, 22:08
You may be able to make money with an ATR "low cost".

But

The prices will have to be lowish cost.

The markets need to be small. If one of the jet operators sees lots of pax per day they will jump in. If they do it will be "Jets 1 ATR 0".

Capts will be a problem. Mr ATR will get losts of fo's at 14 - 16,000p.a and they will pay for the type. The prob will be to get and keep Capts with the hours to do the job for less than 40 - 45,000p.a. Even thats a LOT MORE per pax flown.

Turbo Rick
26th Aug 2003, 00:31
Interview getting close, need quality information ideally from someone who has been to an interview and/or knows more about this operator.

What kind of Captain profile are they looking for?

"xyz_pilot", why do you say captains will be a problem? I think there are plenty of mature, experienced turbo prop guys who would jump at the chance of flying a quality aircraft at a decent salary. Lots of night freight jocks looking to move on so I am informed. The fact they are looking for you to supply your own rating seems to discount your theory! Happy to be proved wrong though...

Anyone can help please post here or e-mail/private message me, thanks.

xyz_pilot
26th Aug 2003, 23:01
TR

The prob will be the "decent salary". If you think 35 - 40K all in fund your own pension, sick, medical, uniform, car park etc is decent then you may be OK. But is that all you want for the next 20 years? If not then it will be a prob to keep catps.

Cyrano
28th Aug 2003, 19:54
Looks as though there were interviews yesterday in the Heathrow Renaissance hotel. (I was on my way to another meeting there, glanced at the name on the door as I passed..."hmm, now where have I heard of them?")

Max Hollander
31st Aug 2003, 23:36
Has Oniva already decided about their logo and livery design or are they still finding/selecting a graphic design agency? Who is the owner of this new start up airline? Where can I find him/her?

BAe 146-100
1st Sep 2003, 00:21
Hi,

Max Hollander, Tony Comacho is the owner (One of the senior executives at former low cost carrier buzz).

BAe 146-100

A Very Civil Pilot
5th Sep 2003, 05:18
Has anybody heard anything since the interview?

Deancross12345
5th Sep 2003, 23:29
Do we know what routes are being thought about or what their base(s) is/are going to be?

dwlpl
6th Sep 2003, 00:04
They did say the base(s) to be in north-west England or south-east England.

ecj
6th Sep 2003, 02:09
A lower then average salary for a long term Captain is sustainable provided:

1. The quality of life aspect of the job is satisfactory or better.

2. Stable roster with no flying after 2000 hours or reports before 0700.

3. Not worked to CAP every single month. At least 10 days off / 28 days etc.

4. You can trust management [as much as anybody can these days]. They respect the BALPA CC and do not try to side road them.
Critically important is that you have a good base captain or equivalent who the pilots respect and trust.

I am sure others will add to this list.

Deancross12345
8th Sep 2003, 00:42
Does anyone know of any firm details / plans?

ie which NW / SE Airport(s) will by their base(s) or more importantly what routes are they going to operate and what frequency?

A base in the NW would seem more profitable to me but there are a number of airports in the north west to choose from.

DCS

A Very Civil Pilot
10th Sep 2003, 23:07
Sim dates at end of the month offered.

Readback Correct
20th Oct 2003, 16:52
It's all gone a bit quiet. Has anyone heard anything lately?