PDA

View Full Version : Gliding hours for CPL?

Future Pundit
16th Aug 2003, 02:33
I notice that there has been a subtle change in the wording from the CAA with regard to the flying requirement for CPL (the 150hrs requirement).

The old wording said something like "30 TMG (touring motor glider) may be counted as part of the 100hrs pic". This has now changed to TMG or gliders (sailplanes).

Does anybody have experience of submitting gliding hours to the CAA?

Blinkz
16th Aug 2003, 05:21
As far as I understood it for both the PPL and CPL you could use 10% of your TT on gliders up to a total of 10 hours. hope this helps.

Touch'n'oops
17th Aug 2003, 18:34
I have a large number of hours on Gliders. But, I can't even use a second to go towards my CPL.

Sorry mate, but the answer is no!!:ugh:

BillieBob
18th Aug 2003, 02:00
This is not within the gift of the CAA but is clearly laid down in JAR-FCL 1.155 -

(b) Modular Course

(2) Crediting. From the 200 hours of flight time:

(iii) 30 hours as pilot-in-command in touring motor gliders or gliders.

If the CAA refuse to accept glider hours, quote the relevant JAR and threaten them with an appeal under Regulation 6 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1991. That usually makes them cave in.

Future Pundit
19th Aug 2003, 14:32
Thanks for the JAR reference. I know the CAA GIF documents used to say TMG but in LASORS gliders appeared.

As another point, I have tried putting a TMG rating on my PPL. 2 problems.

1. Conversion training (why I do not know) needs to be completed by a TMG rated JAR flight instructor which do not exist. Enstone provide training but not by JAR Flight instructors.

2. Flight test by a TMG rated JAR examiner. These guys are few and far between.

TRon
19th Aug 2003, 20:43
Is the 150hrs TT for licence issue or to start a CPL course as I am just squeezing them in at the moment and should I be a few hours shy effectively not be allowed to start the course?, or is it just you need them at the time you come to licence issue, only I had a friend who did his MEP test with less than 70hrs P1 then burned them off single afterwards before he sent away for his licence.