PDA

View Full Version : BA Citiexpress MAN-BHD

AerSligo
15th Aug 2003, 17:54
Seems that the bmibaby service MAN-BFS might be hurting BACX's MAN-BHD service more than was originally thought. I note that for the winter timetable they have changed from operating 146/AR1s to using DH8s! This is a fairly drastic cut in capacity from around 100 seats per flight to 50!
Does anyone have any further information on this? I came across this info as I am due to fly MAN-BHD in the future and was originally booked on a 146, now a DH8! Hooray! I also note that timings are being fiddled with too...

ALLMCC
15th Aug 2003, 18:11
haven't heard anything about this - however, given BACX's lacklustre attitude, this comes as no surprise - back in April, we were promised that BHD - MAN would in future be an all jet route - yet they are still sneaking ATP's and D8's in when they think nobody is looking - I have however heard (see separate post) that Bmibaby may be considering a move from BFS to BHD.

This would put the cat among the pigeons!

Tower Ranger
16th Aug 2003, 03:41
ALL very strong rumours down our way about a baby arrival especially if the Easy East Mids is on the cards.

eastern wiseguy
16th Aug 2003, 04:59
I wonder what it is with the East Mids flights .....BFS......then BHD ......then BFS .....then ...well who knows...lots of mucking around for the pax.Hey ho ...so when do EZY start flying to EMA mark?I have been off for a week so I am not current on rumour control.

CheekyVisual
18th Aug 2003, 17:07
I suspect the change in aircraft on MAN - BHD is as much to do with BACX having a load of DHC 8s they don't have anything to do with than anything else ! Can't really send them to FCO or MAD (although may be still quicker than RJ !).

HZ123
18th Aug 2003, 17:32
To me this reflects BACX / BA lack of concentration and is yet again another example of their indecision. This has been a good earner for at least 10 years for BA ? BRAL ? BACX who or whatever.

Once again lack of direction seems to indicate that BA have given up on Inter- Britain routes. A cause they may well live to regret.

ALLMCC
18th Aug 2003, 18:09
It does seem as if BACX are prepared to back off on this route instead of putting up a fight! Perhaps the problem is that they have never had any competition on Belfast - Manchester and now that Bmibaby have come along they simply dont know what to do.

I do wonder what is in store for the remaining routes out of BHD - rumour has it that Southampton is for the chop shortly - that will only leave Glasgow & Edinburgh and I've heard that load factors are gradually reducing here.

eastern wiseguy
18th Aug 2003, 18:58
I am frankly amazed at how the GLA and EDI services seem to survive.They were never known for their cheap tickets...and if given the choice between a ratty old ATP and a nice orange B73...I am off to BFS:O The services from the docks never seem to take too well to competition.The ORIGINAL Luton service rolled over...the Liverpool service which bumbled along with a few punters a day rolled over(in fact I believe from reading on this site that BFS-LPL carries most passengers on a domestic route which doesn't use London)The Stansted rolled over..how long before Gatwick coughs and dies?.Is there also a death rattle coming from the Dublin service?I see that Easy have also re- instated a later arrival to the province from the south east of England thats MORE good news for anyone wanting to do business in the south east giving them an extension to the business day(and not getting tossed around like a crash test dummy on landing at the docks):ok: Couple that with the imminent removal of A321's(and the extra seats they have)...."late" night closure of 22/04 and an increasing noise lobby...bhd ..more trouble than its' worth!:E

AerSligo
18th Aug 2003, 19:27
Well...it will be interesting to see how things unfold. They have have various periods of competition over the past 10 years though...Business Air (now bmi regional) ran the route for a while but pulled off when British Regional took over from Mainline. I am not sure why they did...in fact Manx Airlines Europe was competition for BA when they ran MAN-BFS and JE ran MAN-BHD too! As far as I remember, Jersey European and Loganair have shots at MAN-BHD too, all back when the BA service was to BFS. They played the Jet (146) Card when Business Air were competing, but in similar fashion this only lasted for a while before the dreaded ATPs came back too.

It wouldn't surprise me if GLA and EDI disappeared in the not too distant future...who knows what will happen with MAN

Tom the Tenor
18th Aug 2003, 19:31
ALLMCC, not meaning to sidetrack this interesting thread do you have any more titbits of info about the likelihood of a Jetmagic ORK-CGN. Have been doing as much as possible about finding out more from down here in the real capital but not as much as a whisper or a nod am I getting!

Thanks!

ALLMCC
18th Aug 2003, 20:32
TOM THE TENOR

Sorry have heard nothing about this - presume they will need to have a few more aircraft on strength before any more new routes are contemplated.

On the subject of a/c, do you know exactly what they are using at the moment - so far all I've seen are the 2 EMB145s - are the 135s in service yet?

Tom the Tenor
19th Aug 2003, 02:40
ALLMCC, sorry, no real news I am afraid. The latest talk has been September for the two ERJ 135s with one in Cork and the other at London City for certification flights to operate there. However, I will believe it when we have product as they say but what with the introduction of Paris CDG, Liverpool and Edinburgh now less than a month away things will have to happen pretty sharply! You will note that I have not included the London City supposed start date of mid September - it is really anyone's guess to what is happening there! Mind you, I wish GX the very best of luck with LCY and truly wish it had begun today as was announced earlier in the summer. One of the best surprises has been the strong performance of the new route to Nantes - it is just marvellous and is to contine through the winter. :8

BAe 146-100
19th Aug 2003, 03:49
Hi,

Jetmagic's prices are quite expensive. :rolleyes:

BAe 146-100

MarkD
19th Aug 2003, 17:54
Wandering off topic methinks but...

Jetmagic are thriving because they save time and money for people who don't want to fly from DUB or LHR and the service standards are higher than those for veal calves or EI (roughly the same)

For such things you pay a premium. I don't fly business much so I don't care but the doggy bag J-class EI are pushing is good news for the likes of Jetmagic.